HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 9:52 PM

Zoom Opening R&D Office in PHX - 500 Engineers

Two big tech announcements for the PHX area and the state in general...

https://ktar.com/story/3156993/video...enix-facility/

Zoom is opening a new R&D facility in Phoenix and plans to hire 500 engineers.

They are reportedly looking for office space near ASU - so I presume in Tempe.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/05/14...ctory-arizona/

Also TSMC a key supplier for Apple (they make their A-series chips that power all their devices) is going to open a manufacturing facility in AZ. Doesn’t say where, but very interesting...

-t

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Two big tech announcements for the PHX area and the state in general...

https://ktar.com/story/3156993/video...enix-facility/

Zoom is opening a new R&D facility in Phoenix and plans to hire 500 engineers.

They are reportedly looking for office space near ASU - so I presume in Tempe.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/05/14...ctory-arizona/

Also TSMC a key supplier for Apple (they make their A-series chips that power all their devices) is going to open a manufacturing facility in AZ. Doesn’t say where, but very interesting...

-t
I posted the Zoom news in Tempe thread since they mentioned wanted to be nearby ASU Engineering students. But TSMC news is pretty awesome. Great news for Arizona. Wonder what city they will be building the factory in? My guess is out in East Mesa, where the Foreign Trade Zone exists. Also, near the current Apple DC.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
I posted the Zoom news in Tempe thread since they mentioned wanted to be nearby ASU Engineering students. But TSMC news is pretty awesome. Great news for Arizona. Wonder what city they will be building the factory in? My guess is out in East Mesa, where the Foreign Trade Zone exists. Also, near the current Apple DC.
Sorry - got excited and came to this forum first.

First - I find it kinda ironic they’re opening a new physical office considering what their product enables...

Second - I was upset when we lost the Uber office to Dallas - but that wasn’t fully engineering. This is 500 quality engineering positions - I’ll take these types of expansions all day long vs customer service/sales jobs.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 11:22 PM

I don't use too many forums, is it normal that so many people feel the need to tell others when they reported something first, or is that unique to this site? Seems very unnecessary and kind of abrasive.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 1:20 PM

This is fantastic news! I hope ASU can continue to recruit companies like this to the Novus campus and general Downtown Tempe area.

Also hoping Arizona can capitalize on some of this manufacturing (particularly technology) that is starting to come back from China.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 3:33 PM

TSMC Coming to Arizona

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 5:48 PM

Thank you for sharing and excuse me while I sidestep some of the trolls on this thread

One common theme I've seen across all articles as other outlets are picking up this story is the specific reference to "Several sites in the City of Phoenix are still being evaluated for the location of the factory." I would've guessed somewhere out in East Mesa or along the 303. But how cool would it be if it indeed was built within Phoenix city limits? I know former Mayor Stanton was pushing the new 202 South Mountain Freeway as a "High Tech Manufacturing Corridor" so my money is along this stretch.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Thank you for sharing and excuse me while I sidestep some of the trolls on this thread

One common theme I've seen across all articles as other outlets are picking up this story is the specific reference to "Several sites in the City of Phoenix are still being evaluated for the location of the factory." I would've guessed somewhere out in East Mesa or along the 303. But how cool would it be if it indeed was built within Phoenix city limits? I know former Mayor Stanton was pushing the new 202 South Mountain Freeway as a "High Tech Manufacturing Corridor" so my money is along this stretch.
There’s already a semiconductor plant up at Tatum & Mayo. ST had a facility on Bell Rd for a long while. But the On-Semi plant is near the airport. Not sure a $12B facility like this could FIT in city limits near housing/etc - the Intel Fab is pretty far out in Chandler. Really interested to see where this winds up.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 6:24 PM

Quote:
There’s already a semiconductor plant up at Tatum & Mayo. ST had a facility on Bell Rd for a long while. But the On-Semi plant is near the airport. Not sure a $12B facility like this could FIT in city limits near housing/etc - the Intel Fab is pretty far out in Chandler. Really interested to see where this winds up.
Great points. I worked at AMEX for nearly 7 years and never realized SUMCO was a semiconductor plant

Re-read the press announcement from Ducey and some Twitter action and all are mentioning and congratulating the City of Phoenix. Really curious to see what site they pick.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 7:09 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I don't use too many forums, is it normal that so many people feel the need to tell others when they reported something first, or is that unique to this site? Seems very unnecessary and kind of abrasive.
I think people are resentful of clutter. The format here isn't headline based like reddit but I do find it irritating.

Dollars to donuts Zoom is going to Novus, maybe filling out that first building.

TSMC is freaking huge. Companies make an investment like that in Phoenix like once a generation.

Last edited by combusean; May 15, 2020 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 7:54 PM
E pluribus unum

I saw the news about TSMC on a reddit subforum, but didn't realize how big a deal it was until reading the discussion here. Don't personally care where it goes (I don't live in The Valley), but great news for Arizona.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I think people are resentful of clutter. The format here isn't headline based like reddit but I do find it irritating.

Dollars to donuts Zoom is going to Novus, maybe filling out that first building.

TSMC is freaking huge. Companies make an investment like that in Phoenix like once a generation.
Let’s see...

Intel Chandler Fab - $7B
Nikola Facility - $1B
Lucid Motors Facility - $1B
Apple iCloud/CDN HQ/Server Build out facility (Mesa) - $?B?
Microsoft Data centers...
Google Data center...

These are all recent investments - not once in a generation.

It seems like the area has hit a critical mass to enable larger investments like this and is helping establish industries in the area as well. Definitely a positive growth phase for the region as a whole. Pushing us up to another maturation level as well.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 8:07 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Let’s see...

Intel Chandler Fab - $7B
Nikola Facility - $1B
Lucid Motors Facility - $1B
Apple iCloud/CDN HQ/Server Build out facility (Mesa) - $?B?
Microsoft Data centers...
Google Data center...

These are all recent investments - not once in a generation.

It seems like the area has hit a critical mass to enable larger investments like this and is helping establish industries in the area as well. Definitely a positive growth phase for the region as a whole. Pushing us up to another maturation level as well.
I think Sean was implying Phoenix proper. None of those are within City of Phoenix limits except Nikola I believe.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I think Sean was implying Phoenix proper. None of those are within City of Phoenix limits except Nikola I believe.
A project like this is regional in nature though.

If he’s saying city of Phoenix proper - Yeah, he’s right.

I’d guess the last investment on this scale would have been the Amex facility in 17/101 with the data center 7 stories under East the 3 story tall office building.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 8:14 PM
Skyriser

Or that $12 billion is far bigger than of those listed, and Intel had already been in Chandler. I had confused 42 with the various fabs built over the years, but whatever.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:45 PM
Modulator

2019 estimates released from the City of Phoenix with Phoenix again being #1 in growth and further confirmation we are the 10th largest Metro now. Can't wait to see the official 2020 Census numbers (we're gunning for you Atlanta!).

https://www.phoenix.gov/newsroom/ced/1257

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
2019 estimates released from the City of Phoenix with Phoenix again being #1 in growth and further confirmation we are the 10th largest Metro now. Can't wait to see the official 2020 Census numbers (we're gunning for you Atlanta!).

https://www.phoenix.gov/newsroom/ced/1257
Phoenix is still small compared to other areas, by MSA at barely 4,949,00 at 10th place, however CSA at just over 5,002,000 at 13th.

MSA wise to beat Atlanta (one spot) you need an additional 1,000,000 residences, for CSA Detroit is 5,340,000 and should be easy to take 12th spot in a few years

MSA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_areas

CSA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combin...tistical_areas

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 3:17 PM
Modulator

I didn't mean to imply that we will beat Atlanta in the 2020 census. But if growth trends continue as is, I can see Phoenix's MSA passing Atlana in about 12 years.

CSA's are a different beast all together and I tend to not care about them.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA744PHX View Post
Phoenix is still small compared to other areas, by MSA at barely 4,949,00 at 10th place, however CSA at just over 5,002,000 at 13th.

MSA wise to beat Atlanta (one spot) you need an additional 1,000,000 residences, for CSA Detroit is 5,340,000 and should be easy to take 12th spot in a few years

MSA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_areas

CSA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combin...tistical_areas
Phoenix didn’t even have a csa until last year and I really don’t buy that we are less than 5 million still

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 3:37 AM

Delete

Last edited by BA744PHX; May 25, 2020 at 3:38 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest