HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
My first thought was Microsoft as well.
Wow. Microsoft could very well be the answer. I didn't even include them in my thinking but it makes a ton of sense.

If I had to lay money on it though, I still think Amazon is #1. I think they were very interested in Austin as HQ2 but incentives were lacking. They're at the domain, but some massive amount of those 25K jobs targeted for NYC could come here. And if they do, I'm guessing a downtown campus.

Btw, we've broached it on here before but is Michael Dell just sticking to Round Rock. Is there no chance that they ever come downtown in any capacity.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austingoesvertical View Post
wow. Microsoft could very well be the answer. I didn't even include them in my thinking but it makes a ton of sense.

If i had to lay money on it though, i still think amazon is #1. I think they were very interested in austin as hq2 but incentives were lacking. They're at the domain, but some massive amount of those 25k jobs targeted for nyc could come here. And if they do, i'm guessing a downtown campus.

Btw, we've broached it on here before but is michael dell just sticking to round rock. Is there no chance that they ever come downtown in any capacity.
g

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 3:58 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Btw, we've broached it on here before but is Michael Dell just sticking to Round Rock. Is there no chance that they ever come downtown in any capacity.
Zero chance of that happening. RR gives them a massive tax break every year. I don't recall the specifics but any kind of sales activity has to be done in Round Rock.

Also, they're already in "Austin" with that second campus at Tech Ridge/Parmer where they own multiple buildings.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
Zero chance of that happening. RR gives them a massive tax break every year. I don't recall the specifics but any kind of sales activity has to be done in Round Rock.

Also, they're already in "Austin" with that second campus at Tech Ridge/Parmer where they own multiple buildings.
Maybe somebody can provide more details. I seem to recall that Dell briefly had a small headquarters operation located near 360 and Bee Caves. I think this was in the late 1990s and only lasted for about a year. I guess the idea was that the location was close to Michael Dell's home and the homes of other top Dell execs. I seem to recollect that this small HQ operation quietly shut down and moved either to Round Rock or Parmer after a very brief period of time.

Last edited by austlar1; Jan 19, 2020 at 8:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Maybe somebody can provide more details. I seem to recall that Dell briefly had a small headquarters operation located near 360 and Bee Caves. I think this was in the late 1990s and only lasted for about a year. I guess the idea was that the location was close to Michael Dell's home and the homes of other top Dell execs. I seem to recollect that this small HQ operation quietly shut down and moved either to Round Rock or Parmer after a very brief period of time.
I remember that. The company I worked for at the time had Dell as a client, and there were a couple of meetings at that location (not that I attended). As I recall it was closed when Dell had it's first financial crisis as a public company. It was not a good look for them.

Apple has also kept a location in Westlake, although I don't know if they recently have left. They were in an office building near Lost Creek and 360, then moved to the new office building across from the Granduca. But I'm not sure if their new campus announcement has meant consolidation.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 12:19 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
I remember that. The company I worked for at the time had Dell as a client, and there were a couple of meetings at that location (not that I attended). As I recall it was closed when Dell had it's first financial crisis as a public company. It was not a good look for them.

Apple has also kept a location in Westlake, although I don't know if they recently have left. They were in an office building near Lost Creek and 360, then moved to the new office building across from the Granduca. But I'm not sure if their new campus announcement has meant consolidation.
Apple is still there. In a building next to the Granduca Hotel.

Dell's offices in Westlake were at Las Cimas (right across from the Village at Westlake shopping center). He only offices there for a short time (as it was close to his home). It was an extremely small office - only housing Dell's senior executive staff. It was cheaper for them to move back to Round Rock in the long run.

As for Dell Technologies moving to downtown Austin...there is a 100% chance of that not happening. For years, they have been downsizing their leased and owned spaces. More and more of their employees are working remotely. And are encouraged to do so. Thus, not conducive to being a part of a massive development in downtown Austin.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 3:41 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
I've actually heard specifics about this (assuming it's what your relative was told) and it would be an interesting thing for sure, but it shouldn't lead to much in the way of development. Tito's is 100% owned and licensed by Fifth Generation, Inc. which is entirely owned by Tito himself. Their corporate headcount isn't huge. I just don't see them needing a lot of office space square footage. Now maybe he could sell the brand to a conglomerate, but you'd wonder where it would office out of. He seems pretty content having sole ownership, but everyone wants liquidity in the brand's value beyond income at some point and that only happens through partial/complete acquisition or IPO. Not the "huge" thing I heard though.

Tangent: I don't know what the deal is with Deep Eddy Vodka but they've certainly been trying to masquerade themselves as a Tito's subsidiary. Some of it is just natural consumer confusion and association, but I've also heard they've been pulling some backhanded stunts when marketing it for distribution. Like saying it's related or selling ludicrous backstories. They even told one restaurant on 2nd street that Tito had sold the company and didn't even make it in Austin anymore and convinced them to switch to Deep Eddy because of that fact.
Now I know why a bartender on Rainey Street butted in as I was telling my cousin and his girlfriend who were visiting from NYC back in the summer about Tito's. The bartender went off that it was no longer in Austin, which made no sense considering it says Austin, Texas on the labels and billboards saying Austin's original Vodka.

It's no surprise to me that Austin has become a major
player in the alcoholic beverage industry. We also have a local Whiskey Still Austin and check out Dulce Vida Tequila too which is based here though obviously the Tequila is made in Mexico or it couldn't be called Tequila.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
As for Dell Technologies moving to downtown Austin...there is a 100% chance of that not happening. For years, they have been downsizing their leased and owned spaces. More and more of their employees are working remotely. And are encouraged to do so. Thus, not conducive to being a part of a massive development in downtown Austin.
Their workforce is generally older, when compared to the newer tech players, and thus 20+ years of pulling from the suburban population to RR and the drive in/drive out/drive home lifestyle.

A consolidated move into a landmark HQ downtown would be met with fierce opposition internally from the masses.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:48 AM

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:22 PM

Financial giant Citadel Securities picks Austin for tech hub

Global financial giant Citadel Securities has opened an Austin office that will serve as a research and innovation hub, the company said.

The Austin office provides access to “leading universities and an exceptional talent pool, which aligns with Citadel Securities’ focus on investing in top technology talent,” the firm said in a written statement.

Citadel Securities was founded by billionaire hedge fund manager Ken Griffin and is one of the world’s largest electronic trading firms.

It is building an Austin team that will include computer scientists, engineers and quantitative researchers.......

https://www.statesman.com/business/20200122/financial-giant-citadel-securities-picks-austin-for-tech-hub

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post

Global financial giant Citadel Securities has opened an Austin office that will serve as a research and innovation hub, the company said.

The Austin office provides access to “leading universities and an exceptional talent pool, which aligns with Citadel Securities’ focus on investing in top technology talent,” the firm said in a written statement.

Citadel Securities was founded by billionaire hedge fund manager Ken Griffin and is one of the world’s largest electronic trading firms.

It is building an Austin team that will include computer scientists, engineers and quantitative researchers.......

https://www.statesman.com/business/20200122/financial-giant-citadel-securities-picks-austin-for-tech-hub

weird no mention of the number of jobs....or where the office will locate.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
weird no mention of the number of jobs....or where the office will locate.
Citadel is already in Austin. Their website lists their Austin address as the Westview building but that building doesn't list Citadel as a tenant. Westview does have a large WeWork location, however, which is probably where Citadel's Austin employees are located. Citadel's other US locations are Chicago and New York. Citadel Center in Chicago is their HQ, and the have 410,000 square feet in that building. The are at 350 Park in NY and they lease 33,000 square feet in that building.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austxdevelopment View Post
citadel is already in austin. Their website lists their austin address as the westview building but that building doesn't list citadel as a tenant. Westview does have a large wework location, however, which is probably where citadel's austin employees are located. Citadel's other us locations are chicago and new york. Citadel center in chicago is their hq, and the have 410,000 square feet in that building. The are at 350 park in ny and they lease 33,000 square feet in that building.
f

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:54 PM

update on my rumor......announcement coming next week.

This is a new source for me, so I really can't vouch for her yet. I really hope she's got this right.

Anyone else hearing anything? Bueller?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:58 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

Quote:

This is a new source for me, so I really can't vouch for her yet. I really hope she's got this right.

From down the road in Zilker, I've heard WeWork mentioned credibly since this post, but nothing I'd put a guarantee on. Blink once if this matches your source ...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:01 PM

Quote:

Excellent new rumor. Do you know if an announcement will involve a building? Or just "Major Player X will be moving to town" etc.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Excellent new rumor. Do you know if an announcement will involve a building? Or just "Major Player X will be moving to town" etc.
She's given me a name of the company and the ball-park number of jobs, and that the announcement is coming next week. It's almost too good to be true to me.....I hope she is right.

Nothing on a building or where or when....she also won't reveal how she knows. ....she just smiles. ERRR. I know she is "connected" so to speak....we shall see.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:58 PM

Quote:
she's given me a name of the company and the ball-park number of jobs, and that the announcement is coming next week. It's almost too good to be true to me.....i hope she is right.

Nothing on a building or where or when....she also won't reveal how she knows. ....she just smiles. Errr. I know she is "connected" so to speak....we shall see.
s

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
So in your opinion would this rumored announcement be bigger than Apple's announcement last year? This will give us some sort of perspective to this rumor.
What was the number of jobs Apple quoted, 5 or 10k?

I just looked it up....it was 5k.

My source quoted MUCH higher than the Apple announcement.

Last edited by urbancore; Jan 22, 2020 at 7:01 PM. Reason: found it.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 7:04 PM

Quote:
what was the number of jobs apple quoted, 5 or 10k?

I just looked it up....it was 5k.

My source quoted much higher than the apple announcement.
w

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 3:57 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin