HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 4:38 PM
Meh

So, technically, these are in North Austin then. The reason I originally posted these in here was that the FAA permit for the Dell Children's Hospital up there had it located in Cedar Park. I don't think we have a North Austin update thread, but we probably could use one, especially if this encourages more office development up there. This area isn't far from the Tower of the Hills, so there's already height in the area.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 4:56 PM
Meh

There was also this project that ended up not getting built. The address was 10225 Pecan Park Boulevard. Actually, the first building in that complex was built, but it was just the first phase and was smaller. That one can be seen here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=aspe...w=1920&bih=937

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...6!4d-97.792085

The name of the three taller buildings was Aspen Lake Two, but I also had it saved as The Park at Aspen Lake. We never did hear a height, but they were supposed to be 15 floors, so I would have expected them to be around 220 feet or so.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 6:48 PM
World Traveler

I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that eventually in the area. Not sure where - maybe to replace something else? Maybe not though with Robinson Ranch having so much available land, etc.

However, I often look at 183 similar to DNT or 75 in DFW. We would obviously see smaller scale development, but similar patterns.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:39 PM

Parallel putting $25M cannabis facility in San Marcos

Quote:
By Paul Thompson
04/20/2021

Cannabis company Parallel is pouring $25 million into a facility in San Marcos.

The 63,000-square-foot cultivation, production and retail facility will grow and sell medical cannabis products under the state's limited program that provides treatment for people with ailments such as Parkinson's disease. The facility is expected to bring hundreds of jobs to the San Marcos area, according to an April 19 announcement
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...an-marcos.html

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 3:36 PM

Samsung unit to pump $673M into solar farms in rural Central Texas

By Kathryn Hardison – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...r-project.html

Another Samsung company is planning a major investment in Central Texas.

..."While Samsung Electronics Co. considers both Travis and Williamson counties, among other locales, for a $17 billion chipmaking plant, a unit of Samsung C&T Corp. has negotiated Chapter 313 agreements with Milam County school districts for solar energy farms. The total investment could be $673 million, according to documents filed with the Texas comptroller."

..."Though the plans were first filed with the state last year, there's been an increased focus on additional energy sources in Texas since the near collapse of the electrical grid during February's winter storm. A Tesla Inc. subsidiary is reportedly building a mega-battery project near Houston."

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post
By Kathryn Hardison – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...r-project.html

Another Samsung company is planning a major investment in Central Texas.

..."While Samsung Electronics Co. considers both Travis and Williamson counties, among other locales, for a $17 billion chipmaking plant, a unit of Samsung C&T Corp. has negotiated Chapter 313 agreements with Milam County school districts for solar energy farms. The total investment could be $673 million, according to documents filed with the Texas comptroller."

..."Though the plans were first filed with the state last year, there's been an increased focus on additional energy sources in Texas since the near collapse of the electrical grid during February's winter storm. A Tesla Inc. subsidiary is reportedly building a mega-battery project near Houston."
Samsung + Tesla = TLA

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 1:35 AM

Solar energy is hitting it big this year. We lost a bunch of higher up personal at work to a solar company. Apparently that company has already made its budget goal for the year already in April.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Samsung + Tesla = TLA
Texas Library Association? Three Letter Acronym? Teaching and Learning Assistant? Term Loan A? Thymus Leukemia Antigen? I give up.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Texas Library Association? Three Letter Acronym? Teaching and Learning Assistant? Term Loan A? Thymus Leukemia Antigen? I give up.
True Love Always. Did you never get mash notes in middle school?

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 5:47 PM
Meh

Well, this is kind of a bummer. That huge radio tower in Buda was demolished yesterday. That tower was a bit of a landmark for the area and I could see it from several places around South Austin. It was 1,290 feet tall and had been there for at least 30 years.

Video of it being demolished.
https://haysfreepress.com/2021/05/04...Be-_HdU1zI9BM0

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0490...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
True Love Always. Did you never get mash notes in middle school?
Unfortunately not. I was a fat, ugly shy kid.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 8:58 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Well, this is kind of a bummer. That huge radio tower in Buda was demolished yesterday. That tower was a bit of a landmark for the area and I could see it from several places around South Austin. It was 1,290 feet tall and had been there for at least 30 years.

Video of it being demolished.
https://haysfreepress.com/2021/05/04...Be-_HdU1zI9BM0

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0490...7i13312!8i6656
That's a bummer. 103.5 (Bob FM) broadcast from that tower. You could pick up that station well into San Antonio and way out east.

93.3 recently abandoned the huge 1900 foot+ tower near Bertram. That station had a blowtorch signal that would reach as far as Hillsboro to the north and San Antonio to the south on any given day.

Both stations moved to antennas in west Austin for a city-grade signal but with less coverage outside the metro area.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 9:08 PM

The District mixed use project in Round Rock is moving forward.

Quote:
By Kathryn Hardison
Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
May 6, 2021

After a long quiet period, there is new movement on a $200 million mixed-use development proposed near the Dell Technologies Inc. headquarters in Round Rock in the form of a planned unit development rezoning request.

At its May 5 meeting, the Round Rock Planning and Zoning Commission unanimously recommended approval of PUD zoning for The District, a 65.5-acre project that could bring residences, offices and stores to a greenfield site. The request still needs the support of Round Rock City Council.

Developers are asking for 15-story building heights across the entire site and an open space plan through the PUD. It's also planned to construct an office building in the first phase of development, according to city documents.
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...Pos=4#cxrecs_s

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
The District mixed use project in Round Rock is moving forward.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...Pos=4#cxrecs_s
This is the only rendering I could find:

For something fronting on an elevated highway (SH45) it's not bad. Pretty dense and urban for an area that's otherwise pretty suburban and cul-de-sac-y.

Also, fwiw, the Dell campus is an awful sea of parking lots. Not sure what Michael Dell is thinking but, man, there's a lot of sprucing up he could do from an environmental/urbanist/pretty place standpoint. It's not the 90's any more, man, and your suburban HQ doesn't have to look like the setting from Office Space.

EDIT: also found this one:

Last edited by We vs us; May 10, 2021 at 9:43 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 10:07 PM

Good to hear this is moving forward. Had heard they had cancelled plans.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 11:14 PM
クラブトクヨ

Well to be fair I could see Dell property being sold off. Dell is pushing remote working very hard, I would imagine Dell office footprint will be significantly reduced.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 1:56 PM
World Traveler

I could see some of the Dell stuff being sold as well, or perhaps leased for development? In any case, the trend of wfo makes me wonder as well. I have a lot of friends who are talking about going back into the office though, and many others who are hoping to stay at home. It seems split 50/50 across my contacts.

It will be interesting how 35/45 and over to Mopac/45 shapes up with all the demand and companies moving here.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 9:15 PM

Developers laying first bricks for 138-acre ‘urban village’ in Kyle

Quote:
By John Egan
May 20, 2021

A mixed-use “urban village” with about 2,500 homes — along with stores, restaurants, and offices — is underway in the Hays County suburb of Kyle.

Formerly known as Uptown, the 138-acre Brick and Mortar District within the Plum Creek master-planned community eventually will feature roughly 2,500 homes, 150,000 square feet of retail space, 250,000 square feet of office space, and 35 acres of parks and trails.
https://austin.culturemap.com/news/r...uburb/#slide=0

Old Posted May 23, 2021, 8:36 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
A project in Round Rock has received a PUD. The plans are relatively dense for Round Rock:

Quote:
Brad Dushkin, assistant director of planning and development services with the city, said that Weitzman had been actively marketing the property for commercial use for over a decade and has now committed to developing loft style apartments.

The property is divided up into four parcels. Weitzman proposes rezoning approximately 14-acres (parcel 1C; 12.1-acres and parcel 1D; 1.9-acres), containing most of the undeveloped previously zoned commercial area, to provide for the multifamily development.

The number of units for the development was not disclosed, however, the urban multifamily units will be a minimum density of 30-units-per-acre in line with MF-3 (multifamily-urban) zoning.
They’re going to do mostly structured parking with wrap around residential units, it seems. Although it isn’t entirely clear that’s the case with the first parcel they’re developing.

https://www.virtualbx.com/constructi...ves-amendmend/

Quote:
The property has access from North A.W. Grimes Boulevard through Plateau Vista. A portion of Phillip Warner Drive provides access from Palm Valley Boulevard and the PUD requires that the remainder of Phillip Warner Drive be constructed, providing a connection to Plateau Vista.

The development will meet or exceed the requirements of the MF-3 zoning, which include balconies, internal stairways, amenities and open space.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 8:45 PM
World Traveler

Quick article that a family member sent me about the growth and supply/demand issues in Burnet County.

https://www.dailytrib.com/2021/06/03...ighland-lakes/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin