HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
I'm talking about the Regional Rail station at 30th Street, not the entire Amtrak Station.
cant do that- all owned by Amtrak

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Probably never, considering that:

1) SEPTA does not own 30th Street
2) 30th Street is much more widely known and utilized than, say, University City
3) There is likely plenty of litigation preventing any further name change after it was 'officially' renamed to "William H Gray III 30th St Station."
Maybe 5 years ago through a act of Congress the station was renamed in honor of former congressman Bill Gray. I think the official name is something like the 'William H. Grey III Station at 30th Street'. When it first happened there was much, much criticism about the name change. It had nothing to do with Gray as a person, people just didn't like having the name changed. In the first year or so the new name was used by some official type people, but fortunately it didn't stick. Even Amtrak doesn't use the William Gray name anymore. I've heard train conductors refer to it as 30th St. Penn station. Many years ago I think that great Mayor, John Street, wanted to rename the station after Ben Franklin, but like most things that mayor wanted to do, it didn't happen.

So if it took a act of congress to change the name I doubt that the paperwork and the bribes/campaign contributions would be worth it to get the upper 'station' renamed. I wonder if that part of the station has an official name?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Maybe 5 years ago through a act of Congress the station was renamed in honor of former congressman Bill Gray. I think the official name is something like the 'William H. Grey III Station at 30th Street'. When it first happened there was much, much criticism about the name change. It had nothing to do with Gray as a person, people just didn't like having the name changed. In the first year or so the new name was used by some official type people, but fortunately it didn't stick. Even Amtrak doesn't use the William Gray name anymore. I've heard train conductors refer to it as 30th St. Penn station. Many years ago I think that great Mayor, John Street, wanted to rename the station after Ben Franklin, but like most things that mayor wanted to do, it didn't happen.

So if it took a act of congress to change the name I doubt that the paperwork and the bribes/campaign contributions would be worth it to get the upper 'station' renamed. I wonder if that part of the station has an official name?
SEPTA cant collect money for naming rights at a station owned by amtrak. Now 30th street on the blue line is a different story

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 3:23 AM
User Since 2002

Brandywine earnings report came out today, along with a slide deck. There’s a slide devoted to Schuylkill Yards: http://investor.brandywinerealty.com...204&iid=103209

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDreamsReturns View Post
Brandywine earnings report came out today, along with a slide deck. There’s a slide devoted to Schuylkill Yards: http://investor.brandywinerealty.com...204&iid=103209
Grrrrrr. I know it's an incredibly barebones conceptual rendering, but if they end up not making 3125 Market a supertall I will be very mad indeed.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 1:46 PM

Are we talking about page 15? If so, I've seen that from early on and it really just looks like a placeholder, even less than a bare-bones rendering or massing. Personally, I've kind of lost interest in supertalls and would rather see just really innovative design. The two aren't mutually exclusive though. I hope this project, or the 30th street overbuild, will include some mass timber building, something like the stuff they're proposing in that sidewalk labs Toronto project. And I really hope they push the envelope in terms of energy efficiency.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 3:28 PM

It's the same image from page 84 of this thread. We discussed the possible height of it there.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 2:48 AM

The thing about super talls is that they make everything else look so much shorter than it/they is/are in reality...

I'd rather have a bunch of 400-700 foot buildings that are super well designed and interact with the street well.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 3:06 AM

I think y'all are insane I want an 1100'er lmao

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 3:53 AM
Philly Rising Up!

^
I'm with ya on this one. Get the supertall in first for visibility purposes and economic prowess. And it could represent the beacon to the whole Schuylkill Yards development. Then as time passes and demand rises, fill in other projects as part of the development.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 4:00 AM
User Since 2002

I hear ya on how supertalls make everything else look miniature. Looking at the NYC skyline with all the new supertalls (and a bunch of ugly ones IMO) makes the once-impressive buildings look pedestrian.

Having said that, I want me a big shiny new toy. I'll take 1-2 more supertalls and I'll be set.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I think y'all are insane I want an 1100'er lmao
Yeah man, we were teased with the original conceptual rendering, now I expect nothing less!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDreamsReturns View Post
I hear ya on how supertalls make everything else look miniature. Looking at the NYC skyline with all the new supertalls (and a bunch of ugly ones IMO) makes the once-impressive buildings look pedestrian.

Having said that, I want me a big shiny new toy. I'll take 1-2 more supertalls and I'll be set.
Just to be a downer/realist, since this is all just dreams based on a drawing or two, why stop with 1 or 2 supertalls, we might as well dream of 5 or 6!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 11:43 PM

I'm not too concerned with Supertalls.

London - arguably the greatest city in the world - only has one supertall.

Paris - arguably the second or third greatest city in the world - has zero supertalls.

NYC is a bit of a beast of it's own.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 11:49 PM
Philly Rising Up!

All the supertalls are now being built in Asia and Middle East. There was an article for why that is, but I didn't keep it on my smartphone.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 12:09 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
All the supertalls are now being built in Asia and Middle East. There was an article for why that is, but I didn't keep it on my smartphone.
There are plenty of supertalls being built outside of these regions. NY, Chicago, Toronto, Melbourne, Moscow etc.

But yea most of them are simply due to construction costs, many are empty so I don't think that boom is sustainable either.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 1:05 AM
User Since 2002

Brandywine earnings transcript:

“ The Bulletin Building here in Philadelphia, that renovation work is ongoing and will be completed on budget and on schedule in early Q2 of this year. As you may recall, that entire building is leased to Spark Therapeutics, a life science company owned by Roche Pharmaceuticals, and we still project a 9.3% free and clear return.

In looking at our large master plan mixed-use projects on pages 15 and 16 in our sup, we did provide more information. To highlight a few points, our full master plan approvals are now in place. That's two years ahead of schedule, so we were able to accomplish all of the zoning overlays in 2019. The design, development and pricing is substantially done on the first two buildings. Marketing efforts do continue with about a 1.1 million sq. ft. active pipeline and a significant component of that being life science tenancies. We are in very advanced discussions with joint venture equity financing sources. And as we've indicated before, our current front money investment balance in both of those projects of approximately $90 [Phonetic] million should be sufficient to meet the equity requirements under our contemplated joint venture structures.

If we are successful in finalizing the current equity and debt financing negotiations, we will be in a position to go on the west tower in the first half of 2020. The east tower, which is obviously a larger project with primarily office and a life science component, will require an anchor tenant, and we continue that process as well in addition to working on the equity and debt financing arrangements.

The Schuylkill Yards master plan can accommodate almost 2 million sq. ft. of life science space. As I mentioned last quarter, we are proceeding with the design and development on a 400,000 sq. ft. dedicated life science building. And in addition to that new ground-up life science building, we noted on page 13 that we have started the conversion of 3000 Market Street, an existing 60,000 sq. ft. office building into a life science facility. Design and pricing is being finalized with selective demo already under way. We do expect to deliver that project in the first quarter of 2021. That decision was really driven by the tremendous near-term demand we're seeing from smaller life science companies with the objective that we can -- if we can get them into 3000 Market we can capture their future growth at Schuylkill Yards.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foo...ings-call.aspx

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 1:56 AM

If I'm not mistaken, isn't part of the plan to demolish 3000 Market?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 2:34 AM
Philly Pholly

Really.I thought 3000 Market Street was gone

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 2:41 AM

Sorry, doesn’t sound that optimistic on the 2nd tower with the commercial space. At least for 2020.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals