HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
I am your father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate.
I am your daddy.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 2:33 PM

Now that the Drexel school year has started, I finally got around to visiting the new park... and it's a deadzone. I was the only one walking around there on Sunday. I'm willing to bet that the reason is that the Bulletin Building is currently U/C, added to the fact that there's really nothing around.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 2:58 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Now that the Drexel school year has started, I finally got around to visiting the new park... and it's a deadzone. I was the only one walking around there on Sunday. I'm willing to bet that the reason is that the Bulletin Building is currently U/C, added to the fact that there's really nothing around.
True...I was there too on Sunday. We probably passed each other and didn't even realized it...LOL.

However, the execution of the Drexel Square was excellent. I can see it will be a cool place to hang out and especially once the new bldgs are built around it and the completion of the Bulletin bldg renovations and re-cladding is done. Also, if there was more retail between 30th and 32nd on Market St, it would help liven the area. Bottom line, it's got huge potential, especially as more builds get done. BTW, on Market St the buses and lines to the buses were long. They have to figure a way out to get some sort of bus transportation hub right there.

BTW...30th street station looks glorious with Drexel Square in front.

I have lots of photos that I will try to post later, but kind of a busy day for me.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Because 30th Street is just so busy right there with 3 lanes of station traffic there's just not a natural pull across the street. Unless they do pedestrian oriented streetscaping with bump outs, etc. and mid-block crosswalks - this park will primarily be used by office folks on the West side of 30th.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Well, it was a Sunday. How is it during the week when there are more people in the area?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 3:37 PM
Philly Pholly

This park is an investment in the future of the area. It is just a beginning and a good one at that. Looking forward to seeing 30th st st apron transformed. That should be starting soon, no?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 3:42 PM
Philly Pholly

Is this still on?

30th Street Station Landscape

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Yep. It's part of the 30th Redevelopment.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 4:01 PM

^^^^^^
Everything with Amtrak is a matter of funding. Plus there was/is lots of push back in regards to changing the drop off point on the west side of the station. Much of what has been proposed, and there have been several variations presented, includes a lot of underground plaza work, including the much needed underground connection with the SEPTA subway/trolley station. So, in answer to your question, I'm not aware of any final design or timetable for the work. That might not happen until firm funding is included in Amtrak's budget----approved by our fearless leaders in DC.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 4:16 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but does anyone know whether the ground floor of the Bulletin Building will have any sort of food/drink retail? It seems to me that, like the Porch or Dilworth Park, they need to stick something there so that people relax and stay awhile. As SY builds out, I'm sure this will see a lot more use. It's an amenity without an audience for now.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but does anyone know whether the ground floor of the Bulletin Building will have any sort of food/drink retail? It seems to me that, like the Porch or Dilworth Park, they need to stick something there so that people relax and stay awhile. As SY builds out, I'm sure this will see a lot more use. It's an amenity without an audience for now.
According to this, there will be 35,000 square feet of ground floor retail. It would be nice if there were some sort of food/drink establishment. http://www.philarising.com/43-millio...etin-building/

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 5:28 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Regarding Amtrak's construction plans:

http://www.phillydistrict30.com/current-projects-1

Still too early for anything to materialize, but all the big changes are exciting. The area around 30th st station with all the new and in-process builds makes it feel very cosmopolitan.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
According to this, there will be 35,000 square feet of ground floor retail. It would be nice if there were some sort of food/drink establishment. http://www.philarising.com/43-millio...etin-building/
I stand corrected on retail. I can't imagine SOME food/beverage place not being part of that. We're in "if you build it, they will come" mode, like a ballpark in a cornfield for now.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 7:29 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Sounds like most of the ground floor will be used for retail then. 35k sf is quite a large footprint for a single level. So that's some good news, I guess.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 11:29 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
while i do love the progress on this plan i like the height and color of the buildings just 3001 isnt my cup of tea and it feels like it came from the 80s or something
not trying to hate on this project i really cant wait i just wish they went with different design

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:23 PM

Via the lowrise thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
That is crazy, but consistent with what Ive heard from others who frequent those areas.

In other news, it seems Drexel has been issued zoning permits for the new K-8 school and the nursing school buildings on the UCHS site. I think there was a foundation permit for the 12 story tower as well. Also, brandywine has unity of use zoning permits for the 30th and Arch sites where the two towers are planned.
That means they weren’t kidding about starting before the end of the year. Damn.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 5:57 PM

A huge chunk of the parking lot has been closed off, and they've starting taking down the facade mockup of the Bulletin Building.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 1:43 PM

zoning/use permit issued on 10/3 along with unity of use for the parcels pertaining to these towers.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
^^^^^^
Everything with Amtrak is a matter of funding. Plus there was/is lots of push back in regards to changing the drop off point on the west side of the station.
I don't see how they could create the underground concourse connecting the trolleys/MFL without changing the drop off configuration. That atrium can't go in unless they move everything. Plus, it looks like they're creating a whole new drop off location on the northern side that will be pretty easy to get in/out of.

That west side of the station is a nightmare to walk around on, so hopefully any configuration they end up building improves the pedestrian experience. Seems like that'll be super important given the massive increase in density in the immediate area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals