HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 3:39 PM

Indiana representin'. You would think that there were 12 people in this state with the way people consider us Hoosiers. I get irritated that we are a top-15 state and we constantly get over-looked by everyone.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
But not more than Texas. By a long shot. New York is hemorrhaging people. Texas is growing by leaps and bounds. Austin and San Antonio are two of the fastest growing cities in the country and Dallas and Houston aren't much far behind. New York has snowy, cold winters though and I miss that about the North. I used to live in Virginia prior to moving to San Antonio and the summer's are murder down here.
Anyplace with alot of desolate land is growing. It's nothing special to be proud of. It's not admirable. It's not due to cultural or economic superiority. It's due to decades of bad economics and a lack of culture -- that's what has kept the real estate prices so low in those places. Modern technology is doing a great job of pumping water and moving vast amounts of resources to what was previously uninhabitable environments for large amounts of people. There will always be large amounts of people looking for the cheapest, most boring way to live. Isn't that how Wal-Mart makes their money?

A trailer park out in the middle of Nevada has a 100% growth rate. So? Would you want to live there? (Oh, damn, nevermind. Bad example.)

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-s View Post
Anyplace with alot of desolate land is growing. It's nothing special to be proud of. It's not admirable. It's not due to cultural or economic superiority. It's due to decades of bad economics and a lack of culture -- that's what has kept the real estate prices so low in those places. Modern technology is doing a great job of pumping water and moving vast amounts of resources to what was previously uninhabitable environments for large amounts of people. There will always be large amounts of people looking for the cheapest, most boring way to live. Isn't that how Wal-Mart makes their money?

A trailer park out in the middle of Nevada has a 100% growth rate. So? Would you want to live there? (Oh, damn, nevermind. Bad example.)
dude, your name describes your post.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 9:14 PM

Agreed....b-s exactly that....

Regarding Alabama's growth is has several metro areas that are growing nicely and spreading their wings so to speak. The Huntsville area in north AL has good quality growth and high paying jobs in a variety of modern industries. Tuscaloosa is the same with car manufacturing and the University. Birmingham/Hoover is a steadily growing and improving larger southern metro also that's beginning to hit its growth stride like Atlanta did in the 1960's. Anniston to the east toward Atlanta is also a hot bed for Honda and the growth from metro Atlanta is spilling out 20 into eastern Alabama as Atlanta grows astoundingly fast downtown and metro wide. Mobile on the coast is experiencing the explosion seen in many southern coastal areas. AL is situated to finely begin showing strong growth like many of its southern peers have for decades not only because of being surrounded by booming areas in GA and TN but because it's a last frontier like MS is becoming and has many of the same pluses that people saw in GA, NC and TN the past 40 years.

Also the I-85 corridor from Charlotte - Greeneville/Spartanburg - Atlanta - Montgomery AL has become a huge economic growth hot bed and will rival the Boston - NY - Philly - Baltimore/DC corridor in the not to distant future for those unfamiliar with the south.

The Charlotte to Atlanta corridor has already become a huge hotbed for financial services and capital, car manufacturing, computer tech & research, nanotechnology firms and medical sciences/cancer research and biotechnology along with many other high tech industries. Atlanta to Montgomery is experiencing the growth the Charlotte to Atlanta did 20 years ago in distribution and car manufacturing firms building crazily along the corridor and all the supporting techs moving to the area. Also, Columbus GA/Phoenix City AL has become a huge military growth hot spot with consolidation of many parts of the Army to Ft. Stewart resulting in a boom in this part of GA/AL. I believe the military is adding over 30,000 personnel alone to the base over the next few years with a focus on high end tech positions resulting from this movement and relocation of forces across the country to this area.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Last edited by Atlriser; Mar 15, 2007 at 9:22 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 2:32 AM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
Also the I-85 corridor from Charlotte - Greeneville/Spartanburg - Atlanta - Montgomery AL has become a huge economic growth hot bed and will rival the Boston - NY - Philly - Baltimore/DC corridor in the not to distant future for those unfamiliar with the south.
I thought it already did.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 5:06 AM

I have a hard time believing it will. The northeast corridor has Washington D.C., followed by Baltimore, Philly, New York City (we all know how big that is), and Boston. The I-85 will have Atlanta has its main city, which is more like a Baltimore or Philly. It will not come close in GDP or importance.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaRush View Post
Yes...Texas is growing fast, but it is extremely polluted! The air quality in Houston and Dallas is deplorable. As the state gets more polluted it will become less desirable. The state will also eventually have to raise taxes to repair its mega freeway system and crumbling school system. (ranked 50th in the dropout rate)
I thought that was Louisiana. Do you have a link?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 4:53 PM
Baltimore

When I was teaching in Texas the drop out rate was one of our highest priorities. Here is a link from Business Week discussing the massive problem. It is even highlighted because No Child Left Behind was based on the Texas Educational system.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...7/b3960108.htm

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 1:03 AM

Kids that came to Texas were behind from Louisiana, then dropped out.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 1:28 AM

Unhappy

http://www.morganquitno.com/edrank.htm

http://www.sedl.org/pubs/pic01/priority.html

http://www.coxwashington.com/hp/cont...ESS04_COX.html

The last link says it all...........Texas is in the bottom, however Louisiana is last in education. Texas has alot of spanish speaking only, that are having a difficult time learning english. Not sure why LA is so far down.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 4:53 PM
Baltimore

Louisiana is at the bottom as well. Money spent per pupil is very low in LA and the state also has a high poverty rate. Children in poverty are less likely to graduate. The entire deep south TX, LA, MS, AR, AL, and even FL has some serious issues to address when it comes to public education. The south is just not on par with the rest of the nation when it comes to this MAJOR issue.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 12:59 AM
Ya Dig!!

Quote:
Louisiana is at the bottom as well. Money spent per pupil is very low in LA and the state also has a high poverty rate. Children in poverty are less likely to graduate. The entire deep south TX, LA, MS, AR, AL, and even FL has some serious issues to address when it comes to public education. The south is just not on par with the rest of the nation when it comes to this MAJOR issue.

You use to be a teacher in Texas. How do you feel about the TASP or TAAS (I know they got rid of that idiotic test). Should they get rid of standardized tests to begin with. Seems like high school teachers aren't teaching the kids algebra or geometry. They're too busy teaching them TASP and then they wonder why Texas is always near the bottom. I, nor anybody else that I know, likes those tests. I know Florida has something similar called the FCAT.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 3:13 AM
Baltimore

I taught one year under TAAS and the rest under TAKS. It is a joke. Most teachers just taught the test. The FCAT is Florida is a joke as well, although it is not as stressed as much here as it is in Texas. It is a touchy subject. There needs to be some form of accountably, but should it be in the form of a multiple-choice test?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 7:03 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Standardized testing is an issue in many states, including my own, which recently reworked their standardized test.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I taught one year under TAAS and the rest under TAKS. It is a joke. Most teachers just taught the test. The FCAT is Florida is a joke as well, although it is not as stressed as much here as it is in Texas. It is a touchy subject. There needs to be some form of accountably, but should it be in the form of a multiple-choice test?
That is true. Every class you are reminded that it will be on the TAKS test. It gets annoying really.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 10:01 PM
Ya Dig!!

Do other states have standardized tests? I remember in high school, we was taught what will be on the TAAS in algebra class. They didn't teach algebra, they taught TAAS. Most kids in Texas do not know how to even do algebra 2 by their junior year or even senior year. We had a kid from Maryland that said they was taught matrices as freshman and how far we were behind than the kids on the east coast. That was very sad to hear.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 11:05 PM
Baltimore

Yes every state has them. Some states put higher emphasis on them than others.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States