HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

View Poll Results: Should moderation be more strict?
Yes 2 6.06%
Maybe 5 15.15%
Not sure 0 0%
Probably not 7 21.21%
No 20 60.61%
Other 1 3.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 9:06 PM
Skyriser

Should moderation here be more strict?

I'm also welcoming other ideas or suggestions. Post them publicly or direct message me.

This poll will close 30 days from now.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 9:09 PM

Absolutely 100% no. The moderation is great the way it is.

I enjoy & appreciate the different point of views, debate, and discussion. Regardless of threads.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 9:43 PM

Sean, I made a suggestion in the main development forum and then took it to the general discussion forum. I never asked for moderation to be harsher, for everyone to be censored (as biggus put it) or for this to blow up into some ridiculous diatribe, only that people maybe use judgment when posting so it is easier to find development information. I didn't realize that was such a ridiculous request. You know that the main thread does at times go off on different topics - like the golf, homelessness, or tit-for-tat crap, etc. I actually liked biggus's rundown thread idea, just not his attitude, but I digress.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 9:53 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Sean, I made a suggestion in the main development forum and then took it to the general discussion forum. I never asked for moderation to be harsher, for everyone to be censored (as biggus put it) or for this to blow up into some ridiculous diatribe, only that people maybe use judgment when posting so it is easier to find development information. I didn't realize that was such a ridiculous request. You know that the main thread does at times go off on different topics - like the golf, homelessness, or tit-for-tat crap, etc. I actually liked biggus's rundown thread idea, just not his attitude, but I digress.
Huh? Moving posts and regulating discussions isn't censoring. It's what moderators do.

I did this on my own accord, thinking it'd be time to collect suggestions anyways.

You're not the only person to have complained about offtopic threads.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 10:08 PM

I personally think the moderation has been on point--I prefer a light hand. If anything biggus' suggestion that we have a 'project rundown' thread where people can easily get up to date project information, while leaving the development thread to meander where it will sounds good to me.

I have a google spreadsheet that could be the basis for a project rundown thread, but I haven't seen an elegant solution of how to embed that in a forum thread. If anyone has a solution for how to use the spreadsheet as a basis for a project rundown, I'm happy to donate it.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 10:04 PM
BANNED

Sometimes stuff goes off topic and can get annoying. It usually works it's way off after someone says something like, enough about the (insert anything here). But some cool things come of it. It's always nice to hear other's opinions. What sucks is the know-it-alls that contradict virtually everything posted and that shit gets old, but rather more hands off than hands on.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 10:42 PM

I said maybe. That means certainly... The French-speaking counterpart of this North American forum is strict, cause all mods out there are professionals.
They only want relevant comments in their own field.

Architecture, urban planning, population and economic stats... That's all they want.
Anything random or political pisses them off and gets you fired.

I think it's a tad bit too elitist, though. The City Discussion sub-forum on here is a proper spot to let off steam, just like that.
But it should be restricted to this section of the overall forum, given the French counterpart attitude.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 1:32 AM
E pluribus unum

Maybe a projects rundown would be helpful, but I don't see how or why moderation in this subforum needs to be stricter?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 7:11 AM

An outsider's thoughts

Blogs are for sharing ideas and opinions and hopefully some topical knowledge. Most SCF blogs have a core group that keep things going and w/o their presence things could get pretty boring or so slow that participants would end up going elsewhere or not bothering.

Salt Lake City forums apparently ramble all over the place but they are active blogs. Denver's main page has developed more discipline of late for a couple of reasons. First there's always something new to discuss with development and there's a bunch of new bloggers. The other reason is more interesting and impactful. Traditionally the blog had it's active core but one of the core guys took a sensitive job as a lawyer for CDOT's P3 division which is real busy. For a couple of years he's been largely scarce as a result. I've managed to accumulate a good number of comments (especially on the transportation page) as you can see above but bunt_q has over 12,500 comments his recent absence notwithstanding. There are others like that and the original core (including the moderator) were all University of Colorado buddies. Yet the blog still goes off the rails from time to time whether it be the homeless topic or something else. It's still the nature of the beast.

Then there's Buckeye Native 001... That's the most amazing comment count I've ever seen.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 11:22 PM
E pluribus unum

I don't post nearly as much as I used to (I rarely have anything worthwhile to add, especially in this subforum since I don't live in Phoenix) and a lot of my post count was spent dicking around in Skybar and Current Events back in the mid-2000s when posts there went toward overall post count.

Some of us used to get pretty stupid (this was before the prevalence of Facebook, Twitter and other forms of social media).

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:56 AM
Desert Urbanite

Hi Sean. It's been a while since I posted something, but I am still around. I like how this forum is currently moderated - nothing should change IMO. I do agree with the suggestion that we should have a Phoenix 'Project Rundown' thread (including some sort of map showing the locations of active and proposed projects, along with a link to the project's website if there is one).

With all of the discussion going on, sometimes I find myself going to Google Maps or Google to search for the project, etc. A master project list would definitely help.

-Andrew

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 7:24 AM

I decide I vote no to be more strict. I stay out of trouble. I am doing so well on the forums. Sometime I post the news about light rail, buses, and a few other things, as well. Sometimes I away from the forums. Those people are very friendly and they are very good people. I always to be more respectful to those members. I am very helpful. I am very valuables. We lived in Arizona for 14 years. We moved to Arizona on November 15, 2003. I am very good ride on the bus skills. I know how to used on light rail, buses and a few other things, as well.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 9:39 AM
Skyriser

I let this sit and people are definitely satisfied with how well things are going.

I have thought about a rundown sheet but my past attempt to get it started didn't go so well with all the information I wanted to carry.

It feels like this boom is slowing so it might be worth catching up on just what's under construction, for example.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest