HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 3:01 PM

Cleveland Browns make Canadian Catherine Raiche the highest-ranking female executive in the NFL
3Down Staff June 16, 2022

The Cleveland Browns have hired Canadian Catherine Raiche as assistant general manager and vice-president of football operations, making her the highest-ranking female executive in the NFL.

A rising star among NFL front office executives, Raiche joins the Browns after serving as vice-president of player personnel with the Philadelphia Eagles. The Montreal native was promoted to that role in May of 2021 after two seasons as the team’s football operations and player personnel coordinator.

Before joining the Eagles, the 33-year-old spent five years in the CFL working for the Toronto Argonauts and Montreal Alouettes and held the title of assistant general manager with the Als.

Raîche was hired by Jim Popp, then the general manager of the Alouettes, as an unpaid intern in 2015. Following the season, Popp offered her a paid job as coordinator of football administration. When Kavis Reed replaced Popp before the 2017 season, he promoted Raîche to assistant GM responsible for daily operations, managing the salary cap, determining the value of players and handling contractual duties.

Throughout her career, Raiche has been involved in all areas of football operations and player personnel, including pro and college scouting, contract management, player and staff development, and football research. In Cleveland, she will help manage the day-to-day operations of the team and contribute to all strategic roster decisions across the player personnel and football ops verticals.

Raiche has a law degree from the University of Sherbrooke and was admitted to the Quebec Bar Association in 2012. She practised corporate and tax law for three years at the law firm Gascon & Associates but left to achieve her pro football dream.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 3:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

She could be the most unlikely NFL senior executive in the history of the game!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 3:50 AM
Go Chiefs!

With Grand Prix weekend, Red Bull uploaded this True or false game with their drivers regarding their knowledge of Canada.

I though it was fun so sharing it here.
Video Link

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 12:43 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

"There is the American side and then there is the French side."

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 2:20 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
With Grand Prix weekend, Red Bull uploaded this True or false game with their drivers regarding their knowledge of Canada.

I though it was fun so sharing it here.
Video Link

This was really fun.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 2:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Don't think it has been discussed here yet but Hockey Canada appears to be drowning in a pool of shit of its own making right now.

Last edited by Acajack; Jun 21, 2022 at 3:42 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 12:46 AM

I could spend more time to see if there is a more relevant thread, but I think this works. Western University in London has been awarded the host of this year's Vanier Cup on Nov 26. The locals have been saying for years that we should get a shot, so lets hope they get a crowd.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 1:35 AM
Community Guy

Oil Kings are out!

Not a great Memorial Cup given their season and talent.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 5:12 PM
Community Guy

Awesome initiative!

-----
Carlos Herrera Rebollo(He/Him) • 1stBusiness Executive at Edmonton Stingers

We got something big in the works Edmonton!

As part of our #FreshHoops program we are working to replace the mesh at EVERY SINGLE public court in Edmonton

It’s a lot. We counted.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 10:35 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Don't think it has been discussed here yet but Hockey Canada appears to be drowning in a pool of shit of its own making right now.
Scotiabank and Canadian Tire have pulled support as of today. World Juniors are in a few weeks.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 3:03 PM

So the Tour de France Starts July 1.. There will be 4 Canadians racing this year. the most ever.

GUILLAUME BOIVIN was added to this week when one of his teammates had a positive encounter with Covid.

Bovin was racing in Edmonton this past weekend at the Nationals. and was told he was the alternate. So he had to go from YEG to France the next day.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Scotiabank and Canadian Tire have pulled support as of today. World Juniors are in a few weeks.
Was Scotiabank a new sponsor? I always associated RBC with Hockey Canada.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 6:36 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Was Scotiabank a new sponsor? I always associated RBC with Hockey Canada.
They connected with HC on things like the HC Foundation and hockey for all initiatives. They would run activations as well IIRC.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 2:38 PM
It's Hammer Time

Wayne Gretzky becomes a minority owner with OHL's Niagara IceDogs

Wayne Gretzky has become a minority owner in the Ontario Hockey League's Niagara IceDogs.

The transfer of the club to majority owner Darren DeDobbelaer was announced Thursday by the league.

Gretzky played for the OHL's Soo Greyhounds in 1977-78 before embarking on his Hall of Fame NHL career.

The 61-year-old, who retired in 1999, holds the NHL records for most career goals and assists.

He and DeDobbelaer have connections through Gretzky's hometown of Brantford, Ont.

DeDobbelaer arrives in the OHL after serving as president and general manager of both the Ontario Junior Hockey League's Brantford 99ers and Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League's Brantford Bandits.

"I'm really excited about being back in junior hockey and have always loved it," Gretzky said in a statement.

"To be partnered with a fellow friend from Brantford is so exciting for all of us and we can't wait to get started."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...aXOYPysqcrmoLc

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 2:55 PM

From Belleville to the bright lights of L.A., Mike Schad changed the way the NFL looks at Canadians on draft day
While Canadian talents Jevon Holland, Chuba Hubbard and Josh Palmer wait to see what unfolds over the next three days in Cleveland, Mike Schad, a first-rounder out of Queen’s in 1986, reflects on starts and ends. From its very outset, the life of a professional athlete is not short of either.
Joe Callaghan Special to the Star April 29, 2021

Hollywood had called. And Mike Schad suddenly realized he was underdressed.

When he took the phone call that changed his life, Schad was wearing an old, well-worn white shirt and blue jeans. Once he hung up, he knew such threads wouldn’t cut it where he was going. So, late on this Tuesday night, he had to figure out how to get his Sunday best. Fast.

Schad, his family and his agent, Gil Scott, in whose Unionville home they’d all gathered, had been warned of the possibility of such a call. That’s why a phalanx of Canadian media were gathered in the Scott living room too. And yet it still took them somewhat by surprise. History has a habit of that.

With the 23rd pick in the 1986 NFL draft, the Los Angeles Rams had selected Schad, all six-foot-five and 300-odd pounds of him. In doing so they made the offensive lineman the first Canadian to be drafted in the first round. That bit of history would be repeated down the years. But the second piece has never been matched: the Rams selected Schad out of Queen’s University, making him the first and, 35 years on, only player to be drafted out of a Canadian school and into the NFL in the first round.

Pretty good reason to go grab some wardrobe options, then.

“The Rams called and told me they’d drafted me and pretty much right away told me they were flying me out to Los Angeles — that night,” Schad recalled this week. “I just had what was on my back … which wasn’t much. So my mom drove from Gil Scott’s house in Toronto back to Belleville, picked up a suit, some clothes and put together a travel bag. And I flew out to L.A. for the draft announcement. That was the start of it all.”

The start, for sure. The start of an NFL career that would take its time warming up, three years of toil and tests with the Rams, adapting and adjusting before being traded to and thriving with Buddy Ryan’s Philadelphia Eagles in the late ’80s and early ’90s, where he’d start all 55 games of his Eagles tenure alongside the likes of Jerome Brown and Herschel Walker. But in a way, draft night was the end too. The end of the journey to fulfil the dream in the first place.

A whole new class of draftees — including Canadian talents such as Oregon safety Jevon Holland, Oklahoma State running back Chuba Hubbard and Tennessee receiver Josh Palmer — will wait to see and hear their dreams fulfilled over the next three days. With the draft kicking off Thursday in Cleveland, Schad reflected on many starts and ends. From its very outset, the life of a professional athlete is not short of either.

“I was a member of the Hastings Prince Edward regiment in Belleville,” says Schad, an army reserve for three years during high school. “The lieutenant, his name was Skip Simpson, would bring you into his office and he wanted to know what you want to do, what your goals are. Do you plan to stay with the regiment?

“I said, ‘I don’t plan to stay. I plan to play in the NFL.’ I had just turned 17. He scolded me, yelled at me and said, ‘I’m trying to be serious here!’ I said, ‘No, I really want to play the NFL. That’s my goal.’ I remember him yelling some more. That was the first time I actually knew I wanted to play.”
Mike Schad got the call he’d been hoping for during the 1986 NFL draft — from Los Angeles Rams owner Georgia Frontiere at pick No. 23. “The Rams were true to their word,” Schad says today. “Now why … I don’t know. They had four Pro Bowlers on the offensive line and why they needed another was beyond me.”

Schad had been an athletic phenom in high school. Football, basketball, rugby, even track. Already six-foot-five and 260 pounds at 16, he still ran hurdles. At Queen’s, he took more leaps, dominating then-CIAU opponents, initially as a linebacker. Then he blew out his knee in his third year.

“I remember the surgeon looking down and asking, ‘How’s school going?’” recalls Schad. “He said, ‘I suggest you start studying a lot more. I don’t think you’re playing football again.’”

Schad did study. But he also dug in and worked harder again, switching to the Gaels’ O-line and dominating even more. He would be named the country’s top lineman in his senior year. But even with such accolades, varsity football north of the border didn’t stir NFL front offices like the NCAA did. Only three CIAU/USports players had been drafted prior to 1986 and none of them earlier than the eighth round.

Enter Scott.

“I had (ex-CFL quarterback) Dieter Brock at the L.A. Rams at the time,” remembers Scott, still a leading sports agent in CFL, NHL and NFL circles. “Every time I’d go to a game, I’d take film of Mike and Queen’s University to these NFL teams. I showed it to John Robinson, who was the coach of the Rams at the time. He said, ‘That looks like high school film. I wouldn’t really be showing that to a lot of teams.’ But in reality he didn’t want anybody else to see it.”

Scott brought the Packers, Broncos and Falcons to Kingston to see Schad work. But it was his exploits south of the border after being invited to the East-West Shrine Bowl that finally had the NFL on alert. “He was this huge guy, but he went downfield on a kickoff and made a tackle,” says Scott. “That athletic ability and speed, that really impressed them.”

Schad duly followed it up by wowing teams at the combine.

“They had me projected fifth or sixth round, but I went to the combine in New Orleans and had just great numbers,” he says. “I ran a 4.65 at 309 pounds in the 40-yard dash, had a 37-inch vertical. That had them looking closely.”

Draft night in 1986 is best remembered for Tampa Bay wasting its first overall pick on Bo Jackson, when he’d promised them he wouldn’t sign and opted for baseball and the Kansas City Royals instead. But Schad’s eyes were a little further down the order. The Rams had made positive noises. So too had the Raiders at 24. He wouldn’t get that far. The phone rang in Unionville at pick No.23.

“The Rams were true to their word. Now why … I don’t know. They had four Pro Bowlers on the offensive line and why they needed another was beyond me,” says Schad, for whom the gravity of it all hit home on that flight into L.A. “Coming from Belleville, going to Queen’s, and then I ended up coming over the mountains on the west coast and seeing Los Angeles. It was night and there’s just a stream of lights on lights. It just kept going on. I just didn’t really grasp it all.”

The L.A. Times archive has a remarkable, at times hilarious, profile of the Rams’ newest recruit from June ’86 which emphasizes that point. The culture shock and awe of it all for Schad is clear. He expresses surprise at California’s rates of divorce “coming from a conservative background.” He outlines his aim to team up with Arnold Schwarzenegger on an action movie. And he explains why he eschewed a Porsche for a more sensible car.

Schad’s worked in banking for the past 20 years, living in New Jersey with daughter Kali and son Colt, both teenagers. At 57, he chuckles at the quotes in the L.A. Times. But he remembers the car as if he was 22 again.

“Coupe DeVille Cadillac. The first car I bought,” he says. “The first car I ever owned, let alone bought. At Queen’s I didn’t have a car. I had a 10-speed bike and that got stolen. I got a half-million-dollar signing bonus and $125,000 salary for the year. I paid off my student loans at Queen’s and bought the car, but that was it. It’s not like it is now in terms of money.”

No, the riches in the first round are significantly higher today. As many as five, potentially six Canadian talents could get drafted over the next three days. Six would be a record. A handful of his countrymen followed Schad as first-rounders down the years. But no player from a Canadian school has been drafted higher than the fourth round since that night in 1986.

Schad is fiercely proud of his heritage. He finished his career in Ottawa with the Rough Riders. Brother Andre owns a number of businesses in the capital. Schad’s parents are still in Belleville, and he chokes up when he speaks of not seeing them in this pandemic year of closed borders.

He’s proud too of Canadian-grown players and points to the likes of Super Bowl-winning lineman Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, taken in the sixth round out of McGill by Kansas City in 2014, as evidence that the talent is there.

“Will Canadians be able to repeat what I did? I’d like to say I think so, because I think Canadian football has come a long way since 1986,” adds Schad, who coached in NCAA football with Temple University before his move into banking. “The Canadians are getting much more intense and focused with training and their approach to coaching. I do think Canadian schools have a better perspective — you’re going to school to learn too.”

Scott’s take?

“Obviously Canadian college football can produce a first-round draft choice, Mike proved it,” he says. “But more of the top Canadian kids now are going to the NCAA, right? And in lots of ways, Mike opened that up for them too. His impact was big everywhere.”

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 5:54 PM

Interesting that Vancouver Grizzlies merchandise is selling strong and on my last trip I saw a lot of it on the streets of Vancouver. More than ever since the team left.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 4:29 AM

Canada won men’s 4x100m relay at the WC and Brooke Henderson won her second major. Not too bad of a weekend.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 4:35 AM

Brooke henderson most underrated canadian athlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Canada won men’s 4x100m relay at the WC and Brooke Henderson won her second major. Not too tbad of a weekend.
Interesting theory raised on Sportsnet, Tim and Friends, that Brooke Henderson is the most underrated Canadian athlete. At 24 years old, she has certainly accomplished more than any canadian golfer in history.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
Interesting theory raised on Sportsnet, Tim and Friends, that Brooke Henderson is the most underrated Canadian athlete. At 24 years old, she has certainly accomplished more than any canadian golfer in history.
I think the popularity of women's golf has dropped off in general. 10+ years ago I think the average sports fan might know the names Annika Sorenstam and Michelle Wie. I'd venture to guess that there's basicallly no name recognition now. I think more Canadians knew the name Lori Kane 20 years ago than Canadians know the name Brooke Henderson now. And Brooke is so much more accomplished.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 3:02 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I think the popularity of women's golf has dropped off in general. 10+ years ago I think the average sports fan might know the names Annika Sorenstam and Michelle Wie. I'd venture to guess that there's basicallly no name recognition now. I think more Canadians knew the name Lori Kane 20 years ago than Canadians know the name Brooke Henderson now. And Brooke is so much more accomplished.
Yep. I'd say the relative culture influence of golf has declined in general.

As for most underrated Canadian athlete? Tough to say. Even though he's spoken about quite a bit I think Andre De Grasse is underrated in general. Being one of the best track athletes in the world is no small feat.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada