HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 11:47 PM

Does anyone know if this U of U mobility hub study is recent? I found it on the campus planning/construction website but I couldn't figure out if this is actually on the table or an outdated study (it looks like its from 2019)? I'm mostly curious because the PDF suggests they considered a stadium station mobility hub but decided to go with 200S instead... I'm still hoping for an eventual large TOD on the stadium parking lot

The plans for south campus station look great esp. with potential retail. Would be a massive upgrade over the current setup

S campus station w/ LDS institute in background^

Medical center station just south of new HELIX building^

200S w/ protected bike lanes and enhanced bus stops?^

There is also an ongoing survey on uofumobilityhub.com if anyone is interested.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 10:29 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Astra. Today. Finally starting to see the shape of this thing come together.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 2:41 PM
Space Magi

JB Earl updated their website with some new info on a few different projects including the RL redevelopment.

Quote:
THE GRANARY - SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH
Studio Units | boutique hotel | commercial space
RENOVATION/REDEVELOPMENT

The Granary project involves the renovation and repositioning of the current 400-room Hotel RL as well as the development of the total 5-acre site on which the hotel sits. The hotel will undergo a major renovation, converting the existing towers into a combination of premium studio apartments, hotel rooms, upgraded amenities, retail, and event space. The project is centrally located in The Granary District, a progressive and fast changing part of downtown SLC, just minutes from the University of Utah, walking distance to core CBD, and direct access from I-15. J.B. Earl Company, as part of RL Group, recently completed a JV agreement with national investors and developers McWhinney and Sage Hospitality based out of Denver, CO. This JV will accelerate the development of the entire 5-acre property and create a new center for gathering in the Granary District.

There's also some new stuff for Mill Race that I'll post in the Provo thread.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 3:14 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
JB Earl updated their website with some new info on a few different projects including the RL redevelopment.

According to Emporis the taller of the Red Lion buildings is ~175 feet tall. Based on that the tall building in the rendering appears to be around 365 feet.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 10:34 PM

Thanks Atlas. That looks like a significant project that will definitely be a game changer for the Granary District. Do we know if this has been before the city for approval yet?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 10:57 PM

Domain Tower?

Does anyone out there know why the project on the northwest corner of West Temple and 4th South has not started construction? Has it been delayed?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 12:20 AM

Hope the Granary tower is 300+ feet. Doesn’t surprise me it’s a Denver developer trying to push the SLC skyline, they’ve been doing this in Denver. You look at what Denver is doing in Rio North where they have 13 towers and there is no reason in my mind why Salt Lake should be less ambitious. Rio North to downtown Denver is similar distance wise as to Granary to downtown Salt Lake. Denver has 35 current tower cranes (doesn’t include small cranes only towers). Check this link out of your bored. Some really cool projects and buildings going up in Denver. We should be just as ambitious.

https://denverinfill.com/2022/07/tow...mmer-2022.html

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 3:15 AM

Also hoping it's a 300-footer. While it is the fringe of the Granary District, I tend to think of that location as more of a key part of all projects related to completing a decent 600 So. Gateway Entrance.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 2:59 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

This is cool. But it is not in the Granary.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 3:28 PM

Yes it is the 600 S corridor if we want to be specific. The project can be viewed as a “connector” between downtown and the granary.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 3:32 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
This is cool. But it is not in the Granary.
Some maps have the northeast corner of the Granary District being the intersection of 600S and West Temple, so I guess this is in the Granary (barely).

I still want a Midtown District to break away with boundaries of approximately 600S-900S, 200E-200W. Currently 12 SLC-megablocks (1200 acres) of car dealerships and the like that will soon have thousands of new residents and potentially a new Intermountain hospital on the Sears Block. It's not quite downtown and it's not quite the Granary or Central City.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 5:10 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeographer View Post
Yes it is the 600 S corridor if we want to be specific. The project can be viewed as a “connector” between downtown and the granary.
Granary district is a marketing hook nowadays. I get it. But here is the map of the actual Granary District: http://slcrda.com/wp-content/uploads...aryMap2017.pdf. It's the assemblage of former warehouse uses west of 300 W. By this measurement, central 9th and West Temple Gateway are both in the Granary District. Which isn't a thing.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Granary district is a marketing hook nowadays. I get it. But here is the map of the actual Granary District: http://slcrda.com/wp-content/uploads...aryMap2017.pdf. It's the assemblage of former warehouse uses west of 300 W. By this measurement, central 9th and West Temple Gateway are both in the Granary District. Which isn't a thing.
Boundaries are a human construct and fluid in nature. As you pointed out central 9th and west temple could be included in the “Granary”. To my original comment on the development, I hope they do build a 300 ft+ tower in the Red Lion redevelopment. SLC should push for some height in that area and southwestward, similar to what Denver is doing in the Arapahoe and RINO districts. There are a lot of parallels and lessons that could be learned from RINO for the “Granary” area.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 7:01 PM

Cool project, not in the Granary District. As Marvland pointed out, if this was in then Granary District than Central 9th wouldn't exist and that neighborhood probably has more going on than the Granary does at this point.

If the hotel rl could be considered part of the Granary District than Salt Lake City could be considered part of California and Nevada doesn't exist.

Last edited by RC14; Jul 7, 2022 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 10:17 PM

Domain Tower

Cam anybody answer my previous question about the residential project at the northwest corner of West temple and 4th South.

I noticed nothing is happening with this parcel and I am wondering if the project has been delayed? any info on approx start date?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
Cool project, not in the Granary District. As Marvland pointed out, if this was in then Granary District than Central 9th wouldn't exist and that neighborhood probably has more going on than the Granary does at this point.

If the hotel rl could be considered part of the Granary District than Salt Lake City could be considered part of California and Nevada doesn't exist.
What an example

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Cam anybody answer my previous question about the residential project at the northwest corner of West temple and 4th South.

I noticed nothing is happening with this parcel and I am wondering if the project has been delayed? any info on approx start date?
The applications are in process. You can view the status of the Residential building and the Hotel with these links:

Hotel: https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Residential: https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

You can select Processing status from the drop downs to see the current status. It appears that both are currently going through engineering reviews. The process could take a little while as I have heard that the City is backed up with various requests and the current development demand.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
The applications are in process. You can view the status of the Residential building and the Hotel with these links:

Hotel: https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Residential: https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

You can select Processing status from the drop downs to see the current status. It appears that both are currently going through engineering reviews. The process could take a little while as I have heard that the City is backed up with various requests and the current development demand.
I did a search on that website for "370 S West Temple". Looks like the project is still active and In Review with the Planning Commission.

The most recent action was on 6/24/22 for a request for a Permit for a right-of-way:
"to have shared Fire Command Center, fire pump, secondary water supply for two high-rise buildings". The request was denied on 7/2/22.

Earlier comments on the same subject:
"We have been working with the applicant on issues or concerns that have been identified and noted issues related to fire apparatus access for the hotel tower per BLD2021-10528 review comment 156, and DRT2020-00314 Fire Review comment."

Otherwise, it looks like all the permits are being filed and approved. Looks like a few more reviews to go, and like Makid said, things are a little backed up from all the current projects.

They've spent a significant amount of money on the process, so it looks like *fingers crossed* it's still a go.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 2:00 AM

Will parasailing be an offered amenity at the redeveloped red lion again?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 2:14 AM
Space Magi

Yeah 370 needs approval from the PC because it's marginally taller than the D-1 midblock height limit. 390 is 300+ feet tall but doesn't need approval because it's on a D-1 corner.

I wonder if they'll wait for the design review to be complete before starting on both or if they'll start on 390 first once the other approvals go through.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West