HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 8:53 PM

67-Unit Affordable Senior Development Proposed Near Skyland

67-Unit Affordable Senior Development Proposed Near Skyland

April 20, 2020
By Nena Perry-Brown
Urban Turf

Image courtesy of Urban Turf.

"Affordable senior housing is in the works across the street from Skyland Town Center.

Developer MILLER has applied for a planned unit development (PUD) that would deliver 67 senior units in a five-story building at 2419 25th Street SE. Torti Gallas Urban is the architect..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...-skyland/16740

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 2:22 PM

BisNow has an excellent collection of photos of construction at various developments in Northeast (NOMA, Union Market, and Brookland), Shaw, and Mount Vernon Triangle.

https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...e-order-104106

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 6:24 PM

151 Affordable Units Could Be Added to 60 Year-Old Edgewood PUD

May 4, 2020
By Nena Perry-Brown
Urban Turf

Rendering of proposed building, from east. (Image courtesy of Urban Turf)

"DC's Edgewood neighborhood may get some more affordable housing in a rapidly-developing area.

Enterprise Community Development has filed a zoning application to add 151 affordable senior units to the southwest corner of the 792-unit Edgewood Commons community. The units would be available to people aged 60 and older, earning up to 60 percent of median family income..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...wood-pud/16793

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 2:17 AM

Mount Pleasant

HPRB Votes to Support Mount Pleasant Laundromat-to-Residential—Minus One Story

May 5, 2020
By Nena Perry-Brown
Urban Turf

"Last week, the Historic Preservation Review Board (HPRB) unanimously voted in support of a concept to retrofit a Mount Pleasant laundromat into a residential project — if it is three stories.

As designed by KASA Architecture, the concept would restore the laundromat façade at 3215 Mount Pleasant Street NW and deliver a four-story building with 15 residential units and 1,420 square feet of ground-floor retail. Two of the units would be inclusionary zoning (IZ)..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...s-one-st/16790

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 12:49 PM

Capitol Hill

The Hill is Home blog has a good update of various developments around Eastern Market and Capitol Hill.

https://thehillishome.com/2020/05/a-...-neighborhood/

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 7:26 PM

^^ It's further south from the area that website covers, but I'm wondering if there are any recent photos from Half Street SE? I'm curious to see how the buildings have turned out on the one block stretch from the Metro to the ballpark. I was wandering around the ballpark late last October and the construction wasn't quite finished yet, but now that it's 6 months later I'm assuming the redevelopment along that stretch is wrapping up?

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
^^ It's further south from the area that website covers, but I'm wondering if there are any recent photos from Half Street SE? I'm curious to see how the buildings have turned out on the one block stretch from the Metro to the ballpark. I was wandering around the ballpark late last October and the construction wasn't quite finished yet, but now that it's 6 months later I'm assuming the redevelopment along that stretch is wrapping up?
I will be glad to post some photos this week. The work for the Half Street road improvements is significantly delayed, so the one good thing about no baseball so far this season is that it is giving the District Department of Transportation more time to finish up. Atlas Brewing opened their location on Half Street.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I will be glad to post some photos this week. The work for the Half Street road improvements is significantly delayed, so the one good thing about no baseball so far this season is that it is giving the District Department of Transportation more time to finish up. Atlas Brewing opened their location on Half Street.
Thanks! I was supposed to be in DC last week for work but that trip was canceled. I'm currently not anticipating being back in DC until October to run the Marine Corps Marathon, though whether that still takes place seems highly questionable right now. So who knows when I'll actually make it back, so I'd certainly appreciate seeing photos from Half Street and perhaps any photos of recent developments near the soccer stadium.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I wish smaller high density infill like this were more common. These would look great as the bookends to residential streets. Anyone know how the parking will be here?

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 6:34 PM

Buzzard Point/Audi Field

Quote:
Thanks! I was supposed to be in DC last week for work but that trip was canceled. I'm currently not anticipating being back in DC until October to run the Marine Corps Marathon, though whether that still takes place seems highly questionable right now. So who knows when I'll actually make it back, so I'd certainly appreciate seeing photos from Half Street and perhaps any photos of recent developments near the soccer stadium.
Here are a couple of developments around Buzzard Point and Audi Field. There are also two residential developments that I posted photos for a few pages back.

Cambria Hotel (69 Q Street, SW)

76-unit all-affordable residential building (1550 First Street, SW)

Here is a rendering of the hotel.

Frederick Douglass bridge replacement

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 6:32 PM

Here are some photos I took yesterday of developments along Half Street, SE, and some other developments adjacent to the World Series champions, the Nationals stadium. It is too sad to think about the absence of baseball this year but at least the cool, rainy, spring is making it a little better.

WMATA chiller site (Half and L Street, SE). 161 condos are planned here.

Half Street, SE, looking south towards Nats Park.

Half Street, looking north to M Street, SE.

Atlas Brew Works' new Half Street location (I digress but one of the best days of the year is the annual Bike & Brew, a group of a couple of dozen of us biked to seven different breweries throughout DC).

Two-story retail building (we'll see...) on First and N Street, SE, immediately north of Nats Park.

Note the World Series champions, the Washington Nationals, in the rendering of the building.

This is the parcel next to the Maren (i.e. Dock 80) residential building. Another residential building is eventually planned for this site but the excavator and tractors suggest it may be sooner than expected.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 9:54 PM

^That looks really nice! When I was in DC, I found the modern areas around Chinatown and the Wharf to be a nice change of pace from the rest of the DC core. Looks like the area around the ballpark has a similar style.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 10:50 PM

Thanks for those photos! So the streetscaping is still a work-in-progress, but I'm liking how built up Half Street has now become.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
^That looks really nice! When I was in DC, I found the modern areas around Chinatown and the Wharf to be a nice change of pace from the rest of the DC core. Looks like the area around the ballpark has a similar style.
Indeed. Buzzard Point is also located in Southwest, near the Wharf. The second phase of the Wharf is under construction now. I will try to get some photos this weekend.

DC is really two different cities. There are the museums, the Mall, and Georgetown where many of the tourists go and then there are some great residential neighborhoods like the Navy Yard, U Street, H Street, Capitol Hill, etc...

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks for those photos! So the streetscaping is still a work-in-progress, but I'm liking how built up Half Street has now become.
I miss baseball every single day but there is no way the streetscaping would have been completed by late March. It would have been a cluster on game days.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 1:05 PM

Half Street is looking good...

It makes me thinking of avenue de France over here, which is a broader and longer avenue, but not all buildings are neat there, I'll admit.
It was planned just about the same way anyway, in a contemporary fashion while rejecting high-rises to the south end of it.

Your pictures show that the good thing about mid-rises densely packed is that they induce this effect of "lignes fuyantes" (not sure about the translation, but "oblique receding lines" may be the proper term in geometry) when you stand in the street, whereas towering high-rises would obviously hide the sky, which somehow feels authoritarian and dystopian to some people.

This is apparently well executed here anyway. Very good job on the pavement too.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 1:10 PM

Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard

Here are a couple of photos I took yesterday of various developments in the Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard neighborhood.

1000 South Capitol Street, SE. (250 residential units)

DC Crossing (818 residential units)

818 Potomac Ave, SE (49 residential units)

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 6:53 PM

Noma

Hotel and a Rooftop Restaurant Could Be Coming to Union Station Office Building

May 11, 2020
By Nena Perry-Brown
Urban Turf

"An office building one block from Union Station that counts US Citizenship and Immigration Services among its tenants is on the way to gaining a couple of stories and a rooftop venue.

Government Properties Income Trust and the RMR Group have filed a zoning application to add two stories and a 20-foot penthouse to the existing 8-story office building at 20 Massachusetts Avenue NW. Upon completion, the building would have three retail tenants, four stories of hotel rooms, and four stories of office beneath a "rooftop restaurant"."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...-office-/16822

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 3:55 PM

Anacostia

I took these photos of the MLK Gateway mixed-use development during my run this morning. This is located at the intersection of MLK Avenue and Good Hope Road, SE.

Here is a rendering of the development.

Rendering of MLK Gateway from Good Hope Road and Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue intersection. (Image courtesy of Urban Turf)

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 11:47 AM

Potomac Ave SE/Hill East

This is going to be fantastic when we return to normal times.

Details on The Roost’s “Culinary Clubhouse” Opening at 1401 PA Avenue SE

May 13, 2020
Capitol Hill Corner
By Larry Janezich

Image courtesy of Capitol Hill Corner.

"Last night, ANC6B endorsed the request for a liquor license for The Roost – the eight food service plus two bars plus a full service restaurant venue coming to Blackbird, the newly developed 167 unit residential building at 1401 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE. The “culinary clubhouse”, as it’s being touted, will seat 415 and have a 480 maximum occupancy.

According to Michael Babin of the Neighborhood Restaurant Group, Cameo – the coffee shop – will be the first to open in about two months, followed by Leni – the all-day café – a week later. He anticipates a gradual opening of the rest of the food outlets and bars. Whether there will be on site seating is an open question. Initially, Babin expect preorder and pick up with social distance seating phased in. The remaining outlets include, Ako (sushi and omakase – leave it to the chef) by Kenaki, the Slice Joint (pizza), Red Apron (charcuterie and burgers), Hi Fi Taco, Show of Hands (craft cocktail and wine bar), and the 50 tap beer concept and garden, Shelter. Caruso’s Grocery, a standalone red sauce Italian Restaurant will be the last to open, but carry out will be available some time earlier..."

https://capitolhillcorner.org/2020/0...-pa-avenue-se/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations