HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 11:05 AM
National Capital Region

The Emmy [81 Slater St] | 79m | 25f | U/C

https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__AGDBTC

*** 81 slater - proprosed devl is 25 storey mixed use building with 837 sq.ft. of groud florr retail and 196 residential units above.

right behind Capital Hill Hotel

docs not posted yet.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 11:47 AM

Presumably this means taking out the hotel’s parking structure and café (unless it was originally built to accommodate another building over top, but that seems unlikely). I wonder if the hotel will close for Renos at the same time?

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 12:56 PM

Looking forward to seeing some renderings. Should be a solid infill for the core. More residents to keep the area alive evenings and weekends.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 1:24 PM

I sure hope it won't be the good ol' chubby shoe box.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 2:49 PM

Glad to see some more residential moving into the core. I'm looking forward to a nice design, something fresh hopefully.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 2:50 PM

I will not miss that ugly parking structure and the terrible "la bibliotheque" restaurant

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post
I will not miss that ugly parking structure and the terrible "la bibliotheque" restaurant
Also the tacky sign

"Liberal portions at conservative prices!"

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 6:26 PM

With the way the downtown market is evolving, I'm surprised (but pleased) they're building residential instead of office.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 11:21 PM

At 25 stories it will barely stick out past 90 Elgin next door, which is 17 commercial height stories. It will continue the long tradition of building out the CBD as one uniform chunk of buildings. Here is my estimate of the massing:
[IMG]Untitled by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 10:28 AM
National Capital Region

Roderick Lahey is the architect, plans are up

The City of Ottawa has received a Site Plan application to permit the construction of a 25-storey mixed-use building with ground floor retail and 196 residential units above. The proposed development will be located on the southern portion of the lot and will be integrated with the existing hotel on the northern half of the property, which is proposed to remain on the site

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Roderick Lahey is the architect, plans are up
What a boring design. I feel like we've seen it a million times.

Roderick Lahey must be a cheap architect to hire. He just keeps recycling the same crap over and over.

You look back to the late 19th and early 20th centuries and you have architects like Sullivan, Ewart, Noffke and Hazelgrove. They designed a vast collection of buildings in the Ottawa area. Although a few of them stuck to certain architectural styles, their buildings were all unique.

Why can't modern architects who have more tools and technology in both design and construction methods come up with better proposals?

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

Roderick Lahey must be a cheap architect to hire. He just keeps recycling the same crap over and over.

You look back to the late 19th and early 20th centuries and you have architects like Sullivan, Ewart, Noffke and Hazelgrove. They designed a vast collection of buildings in the Ottawa area. Although a few of them stuck to certain architectural styles, their buildings were all unique.

Why can't modern architects who have more tools and technology in both design and construction methods come up with better proposals?
Given it's location, it's destined to be a background building - and it does that solidly with good street interaction.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 3:51 PM

Is anyone able to post the renderings here? I wasn't able to locate them anywhere...

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 5:12 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
Is anyone able to post the renderings here? I wasn't able to locate them anywhere...
Patience...

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

Modern architects can do great work, just none in Ottawa sadly... Seems all the cheapo developers go with his firm to do such bland buildings. I hope he retires soon as we get some more innovative designers working. Otherwise, all the prominent sites in Ottawa or sites with great potential will be such disappointing buildings that will only piss off residents for decades.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 5:13 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Gestion Immobilière Place Dorée (“Place Dorée”) is proposing to redevelop the lands municipally known as 88 Albert Street in the City of Ottawa.

The subject property is a through-lot with frontage onto both Albert Street and Slater Street, located between Metcalfe Street and Elgin Street in the Central Area of the City of Ottawa. Both Albert Street and Slater Street are one-way east-west arterial roads. The northern part of the property, fronting on Albert Street, is currently developed with a 12-storey hotel. The southern part of the property contains a one-storey restaurant, as well as a two-level parking structure serving the hotel use. The parking structure is accessible from both Slater Street and Albert Street.

The proposed development is a 25-storey mixed-use building with 77.8 m2 (837 sq. ft.) of ground floor retail and196 residential units above. The development will be located on the southern portion of the lot and will integratewith the existing hotel building on the northern half of the property, which is proposed to remain.

The minimum required supply of 18 visitor parking spaces will be located on the ground and mezzanine levels and will be accessible from the existing driveway access from Albert Street. A total of 105 bicycle parking spaces will be provided, exceeding the required rate. Bicycle spaces are conveniently located on the ground level and at the mezzanine level, and can be accessed from either Slater Street or Albert Street.

Communal amenity areas are provided through a rooftop terrace on the second floor, and through interior amenity area on the second floor and in the basement. This communal area is proposed to be supplemented by private decks and balconies, for a total amenity area of 1,226 square metres.

Google:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.42048...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Site:

Renderings:

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 5:26 PM

Condo or rental?

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 5:48 PM

Woohoo! I can't wait for more black and grey panels on a sub-par building design. Go Ottawa!

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 7:31 PM

Well, my guess on the massing was bang on. Another low slung addition to the CBD, furthering the canyon effect and adding nothing to the skyline at all. At least this cheap looking design will be virtually invisible unless you are standing right in front of it.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 7:37 PM

This one, Claridge Moon, Rideau + Chapel all look the same. Basically same height, design, materials...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa