HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
It seems to be the path of least resistance right now. *_IF_* the team ownership can raise/beg the money to expand that stadium, and they can't get the same in Halifax or if Moncton ends up being a more business-friendly deal... the start-up location may become the end-up location.
I've lived in both cities, the economics won't support Moncton, great location, but not enough of anything else to sustain a franchise. Halifax folks won't go to Moncton, but there is a long history of the opposite, maybe not so much as before though.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
IF_* the team ownership can raise/beg the money to expand that stadium
Moncton did purchase some bleacher seats IIRC that may suffice for the year that they might host the team.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Crowd looked like the kind you see at an Ottawa game. PA seemed better, lots of dancing folks in the crowd shots and there didn't seemed to be that ridiculous "Make Some Noise" sound loop every five minutes. It was a good start to build on and I hope they do, even if they get smoked in the next game I think Jones is the man for the job, they should maintain course.

And as I said many times against the train wreck haterz, the team does have talent, it's not like the cupboard is bare without hope.
I saw the same thing relating to the crowd and atmosphere at Percival. When they first came out with the closed-off sections I thought this was going to spiral down even further then it has but it seemed to work by getting everyone together.

What really helped was it was one of the more exciting performances we've seen this year over any team and probably over the last 5 years for Montreal. Insane special teams and running performances and Adams didn't throw the game away. Gotta build on it.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 4:25 PM

^ Montreal put up a good fight against Edmonton too... they are a work in progress but I don't think too many people still consider them a total basketcase type of team. Khari is a good long term pick for coach too, I think he'll do well.

I don't know who these train wreck haterz are that elly keeps talking about but I don't think there are too many people hating on the Als.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 4:45 PM

^ I agree, they've been terrible for the past 5 years and other than last year avg. attendance has been around 20K which means there is a good base of game attending fans, the rest of the city just needs to be re-ignited.

I also agree with Khari being a good pick for coach, that was one hell of a performance in terms of play calling for a rookie head coach.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 4:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Though it's far from red-hot, the vibe around the Alouettes in the Montreal/Quebec media hasn't been too bad. They got good media coverage in the lead-up to the season and since it started. They're treated like a team that deserved to be paid attention to (somewhat).

Their re-branding in the off-season seems to have had a bit of success - I've seen the new look here and there.

Marketing seems to have been stepped up a bit. Most notably I am pretty sure they were advertising quite heavily during the Super Bowl and NFL playoffs on RDS.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:47 PM

Argos attendance was so bad against BC they have not even posted it on CFL.ca like they do for all other teams and games. Bell must be loosing tens of millions on the Argos right now. If they get tired of it I am not sure if you fold or move the team? I think the main reason for the Argos poor attendance is they have not had winning regular seasons since when 2005? during the Damon Allen area when they could get 30,000 plus into Rogers Centre. The Grey Cups recently came as flukes and the follow up seasons were major fails.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 6:05 PM

Is Deestroying still on the team?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Is Deestroying still on the team?
Practice roster.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Though it's far from red-hot, the vibe around the Alouettes in the Montreal/Quebec media hasn't been too bad. They got good media coverage in the lead-up to the season and since it started. They're treated like a team that deserved to be paid attention to (somewhat).

Their re-branding in the off-season seems to have had a bit of success - I've seen the new look here and there.

Marketing seems to have been stepped up a bit. Most notably I am pretty sure they were advertising quite heavily during the Super Bowl and NFL playoffs on RDS.
With the poor team and the ownership issues I thought they were going to be a basketcase this season but they actually appear to have at least a reasonable degree of organizational stability going on. So that's a plus for the Alouettes.

As for the Argos, yeah, they are in trouble. But the good news is that the losses are a rounding error on the MLSE balance sheet.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 6:12 PM

I couldn't find the attendance for the Argos' last game either, as if they decided just to erase it from memory. It was probably 15-16k. It was 16k the game before.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 6:14 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I couldn't find the attendance for the Argos' last game either, as if they decided just to erase it from memory. It was probably 15-16k. It was 16k the game before.
It has yet to be made public. This happened once or twice last season, as well.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 6:16 PM

It didn't look all that terrible relatively speaking, I think I've seen worse at BMO. Although that's going to change if the Argos keep losing...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
It looked closer to 7k or 8k, fans of argos on argofans forum are debating weather the club should move to Lamport stadium as they are now drawing similar crowds to Rugby's Toronto Wolfpack. It is so sad to see the Argos this irrelevant.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
It looked closer to 7k or 8k, fans of argos on argofans forum are debating weather the club should move to Lamport stadium as they are now drawing similar crowds to Rugby's Toronto Wolfpack. It is so sad to see the Argos this irrelevant.
On TV it looks worse than it really is, because most of the fans are squeezed into the shady west side of the stadium which is reportedly much cooler than the east side... but the cameras only show the east side.

Look: https://www.reddit.com/r/CFL/comment...field_that_is/

I mean, if the west side were as empty as the east side then yeah, you could pretty well fold up the franchise. But that clearly isn't the case.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 8:13 PM

Quote:
No one is debating that. The resident troll who posted it was roundly denounced.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
No one is debating that. The resident troll who posted it was roundly denounced.
Yeah, I didn't address that part of thurmas' post because it didn't strike me as a serious idea. The idea of the Argos moving to Lamport Stadium is absurd, it isn't a pro calibre facility.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 8:22 PM

One of the problems with BMO Field is that the easiest section to close to shrink capacity is the huge upper deck on the east side. It is self-contained and does not interact with the suites or the lower deck. That allows an entire level of concessions to be closed to reduce costs. Both decks and the suites on the west side share concessions on a single level so you don't save any real costs by closing the upper level.

We used to have season tickets in the front row of the upper deck on the east side. We had to put up with a few games where they didn't bother opening the concessions and had to carry food and drinks up from one of the lower levels. Finally they closed that deck and we moved to the west side.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Argos attendance was so bad against BC they have not even posted it on CFL.ca like they do for all other teams and games. Bell must be loosing tens of millions on the Argos right now. If they get tired of it I am not sure if you fold or move the team? I think the main reason for the Argos poor attendance is they have not had winning regular seasons since when 2005? during the Damon Allen area when they could get 30,000 plus into Rogers Centre. The Grey Cups recently came as flukes and the follow up seasons were major fails.
Nothing like winning a CFL game with a Rouge haha!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 1:04 AM

Unfortunately for the Argos, a very preventable rouge. The final drive started with a bizarre kickoff out of bounds that let BC start at their 45. They quickly moved to be within field goal range. The weather had started stifling hot and muggy with little wind but by this time it had become breezy and unpredictable. Castillo missed to the left. Rainey easily blocked the ball but stepped backwards out of bounds when planting his feet to end the play and give up the single.

One positive thing is that in the last week or so I have seen numerous ads for the CFL/Argos on the sides of TTC buses. Finally some advertising outside of TSN itself.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada