HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 8:07 PM

99 Fifth Ave | 22.5m | 7f | U/C

The Planning, Infrastructure and Economic Development Department has received an application for a Minor Zoning By-law Amendment at 99 Fifth Avenue to permit the redevelopment of the site for an eight-storey residential building behind the retained two-storey commercial building along Bank Street.

Application Summary: http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...02-17-0113.PDF

Design brief with renderings: http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...02-17-0113.PDF

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 10:46 PM

I like that they are keeping the two story old style retail on Bank. Compared to other parts of town where they raise the older character buildings in favour of rows mid-rise condos.

One quick thing though; address is 99 Fifth Avenue, not 99 Bank. Moderator?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 11:03 PM

Looks like this is a project by Minto! I really liked their Beechwood project, including the floorplans, so I hope this turns out similarly.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 2:48 AM

It looks good from some angles, but I don't the design for this area. Doesn't fit in my opinion.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 4:21 PM

Prediction - it will end up at six storeys, with the Bank St facade (only) saved.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 4:42 PM

OBJ article.

Minto eyes eight-storey residential building on Fifth Avenue Court site in Glebe

http://obj.ca/article/minto-eyes-eig...urt-site-glebe

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 5:37 PM
National Capital Region

There's something to be said for keeping the older traditional mainstreet low-rise buildings and building up behind existing buildings, versus the mid-rise trend. How many new condo buildings are just filled with Shoppers, banks, coffee shops and rotating storefronts? With this approach, the street gets more sunlight, rents can be kept lower, existing businesses can stay in the same area, smaller spaces allow more variety of businesses, etc.

Of course there are also good examples of midrises that fit in well and can attract a variety of tenants - requiring narrower storefronts, restricting certain uses on the ground floor, requiring active streetfronts space can help and Ottawa's been adding a lot of these requirements in CDPs and in the TD/TM zoning.

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Jan 3, 2018 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 6:19 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
OBJ article.

Minto eyes eight-storey residential building on Fifth Avenue Court site in Glebe

http://obj.ca/article/minto-eyes-eig...urt-site-glebe

OBJ staff
Published: Jan 3, 2018 8:13am EST

Calling it “one of the most significant opportunities for intensification” along Bank Street in the Glebe, an Ottawa developer is looking to replace a 1980s-era commercial building with a taller residential structure between Fourth and Fifth avenues.

If the development – which first requires a rezoning of the property – goes ahead, Minto Communities would preserve the two-storey strip of retail buildings that run along Bank Street and were constructed between 1896 and 1909, according to a heritage review prepared as part of the firm’s development application.

The proposed 124-unit, eight-storey residential building at 99 Fifth Ave. would replace the Fifth Avenue Court building, also branded as Fifth + Bank, which was constructed on the site of a surface parking lot sometime around 1980. The structure currently features an indoor courtyard with several businesses spread out over two floors, including the Arrow and Loon Pub as well as a dentist, hair salon and eye-care professional.

The existing patios on the northeast corner of the property, serving Von’s Bistro, and on the south end, used by Pure Gelato, would be retained.

In Minto’s development application, planning consultant Fotenn argues that the redevelopment would “maintain the existing mainstreet character of Bank Street while achieving the city’s (intensification) objectives.”

The proposed residential building is designed by Toronto-based TACT Architecture and is billed as a way to provide a “sensitive” transition to the residential neighbourhood. The eight-storey structure would feature setbacks on the upper floors of the building’s east side so that it becomes narrower as it rises.

Minto is currently looking to rezone the property to increase the maximum allowable height from 15 metres to 25.95 metres, in addition to other changes.

http://www.obj.ca/article/minto-eyes...urt-site-glebe

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 12:36 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Redevelopment plans mean the end for Fifth Avenue Court in the Glebe

David Reevely, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: January 10, 2018 | Last Updated: January 10, 2018 4:44 PM EST

Minto wants to tear down its Fifth Avenue Court building in the Glebe, ending a 40-year run for an interesting public space that’s never quite lived up to its promise.

Under plans submitted to the city and now up for public comment, the commercial strip along Bank Street between Fourth and Fifth avenues (home to Von’s restaurant at one end and Pure Gelato at the other) stays intact but everything behind it goes. That’s a combined office and retail complex constructed in the late 1970s, with a fountain, benches and gardens in the middle.

Where the courtyard is now will be the lobby of an eight-storey condo building, plus other private things like a residents’ gym, party room, bike storage and garbage room, surrounded by a ring of ground-floor condo units. The courtyard is toast, which seems both a shame and inevitable.

The courtyard and its surrounding storefronts replaced a parking lot in about 1980, joining up with the Bank Street retail strip in an unusually creative effort for the time that combined old and new and added a bunch of room for people to just hang out.

A few years ago Toronto launched a little marketing campaign to make sure people know where its private-public spaces are, partly as a way of locking in their public nature.

Ottawa wants to encourage these spaces in new developments along Rideau Street. The new(ish) office tower at 150 Elgin St., holding Shopify’s headquarters, has a lovely publicly accessible terrace on the seventh floor. The ByWard Market has its cobblestone courtyard and the Irish Village pub complex. The Rideau Centre is a duller example, but pedestrians have guaranteed pass-through rights because of all the transit stops around it. New light-rail stations, where they open into private buildings, are other cases.

Privately owned public spaces can’t be wholesale replacements for public public spaces. A mall is not a park or a public square. But they can be good spots if careful design and attentive management bring people and commerce together in creative ways that aren’t purely about money.

A fantasy version of Fifth Avenue Court would have its central fountain surrounded by busy patios with patrons entertained by buskers from a roster kept by Minto. They could have craft markets in there. Yoga classes. Vernissages and whatnot.

In real life, that’s not how it’s worked out.

After the space opened in about 1980 there were art shows and a stupendously well-attended annual Christmas concert by National Arts Centre Orchestra musicians, and it might have helped that the tenants in the building included the Bass Clef Entertainment concert promoters and an ad agency. But activity’s diminished.

“It’s a bit of an odd duck, if you will, in terms of being either a public space or a classic mall,” says Coun. David Chernushenko, who represents the area. “Although it is used by some people — I don’t want to dismiss it entirely — it’s underused.”

The Minto people didn’t return a call to talk about the courtyard space, but you don’t have to be a real-estate genius to see the problem.

The Arrow & Loon pub has an interior patio but the other storefronts are almost all medical-type offices — a dentist, a massage-therapy and chiropractic clinic. The city’s 2017-party bureau has had its headquarters on the second floor. These places have no relationship to the space outside them because they have no reason to: patients come in for appointments and then leave. They don’t wander and browse. If walk-up customers are important, you want to face Bank Street, not be tucked away inside.

Fifth Avenue Court (Minto rebranded it “Fifth + Bank” recently, for reasons that are obvious now) is in my neighbourhood and I like it because if the kids and I get pizza at the Wild Oat on the next block but the restaurant’s too full to sit down, there’s always room at Fifth Avenue Court. Which is a problem if you happen to own it and have to heat it and mop it and make sure the lights work.

The busiest I’ve ever personally seen it was in December, on the evening of the outdoor hockey game at Lansdowne, when people making their way to the game were in there warming up and adding layers, using the bathrooms and tracking in snow and salt. If you’re Minto, that’s all costs, no benefits.

The proposal is 10 metres taller than the law allows now and needs assorted other dispensations from the city. Chernushenko opposes it, saying there’s a reason the city set four to six storeys, not eight, as a maximum height for the area.

“That’s a livable scale, a people scale, one at which you don’t feel overwhelmed by the hight of the building and at which there’s no discernible canyon effect on the light and the wind,” he says. City council recently approved an eight-storey retirement home on Bank Street nearby and he’s concerned about the pattern.

As for the courtyard itself, though, he doesn’t think many people will miss it.

dreevely@postmedia.com
twitter.com/davidreevely

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...t-in-the-glebe

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 2:13 PM

It's too bad. Ottawa lacks nice indoor spaces, which is odd for a city where the weather sucks for long periods of time.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 2:40 PM

This is a good account of of how (and sadly, why) the ones we do have tend to get worse over time. The cool things at 240 Sparks (water fall and such) all got removed long ago, the Bank of Canada's been closed off to the public, the Winter Garden in the Sun Life complex just got completely blandified... I saw an old picture of Bayshore not too long ago, and hadn't remembered that it used to have these hanging gardens that looked quite lovely in the photo, but as I said, don't remember what they were like in reality.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
[B][SIZE="4"]....

The proposal is 10 metres taller than the law allows now and needs assorted other dispensations from the city. Chernushenko opposes it, saying there’s a reason the city set four to six storeys, not eight, as a maximum height for the area.

“That’s a livable scale, a people scale, one at which you don’t feel overwhelmed by the hight of the building and at which there’s no discernible canyon effect on the light and the wind,” he says. City council recently approved an eight-storey retirement home on Bank Street nearby and he’s concerned about the pattern.

Chernushenko makes me more confident in my prediction (#5).

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 3:51 PM

I do have a problem with losing the Fifth Avenue Court complex as we've known it. Underappreciated, it is...

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:

What utter nonsense.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWLine View Post
I do have a problem with losing the Fifth Avenue Court complex as we've known it. Underappreciated, it is...
It's always been my emergency go-to "facility" in the Glebe.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWLine View Post
I've lived right by this thing for two years and had no idea it even existed.
Actually looks pretty nice inside.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 7:45 PM

Quote:
[B][SIZE="4"]

Perhaps Minto can set up a rarefied air station across the street so people can catch their breath in case they're feeling "overwhelmed" by the height of this 8 story building.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayday23 View Post
Perhaps Minto can set up a rarefied air station across the street so people can catch their breath in case they're feeling "overwhelmed" by the height of this 8 story building.
It's the Glebe; surely there's a market for an artisanal fair-trade oxygen bar?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
It's the Glebe; surely there's a market for an artisanal fair-trade oxygen bar?
I don't know. An unusually high percentage of Glebites carry their own oxygen with them.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
It's too bad. Ottawa lacks nice indoor spaces, which is odd for a city where the weather sucks for long periods of time.
This times eleventy.

But what to the Nattering Nabobs of NIMBYism prattle on about? Building heights and finishes and imaginary wind-tunnels.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa