HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 12:33 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
There'd better be a small grocery store included in this development, because the Isabella Loblaws would be near impossible to access by vehicle from this location. Isabella serves the Glebe, and all the streets bordering the Glebe serve the Glebe (ie - they are all one-ways, heading *out* of the community, while barring access *in*).

Old Ottawa East needs something of its own given the geographical barriers.
<1 KM drive - North on Main, left at Hawthorne, left at Queen Elizabeth Drive, immediate right at Pretoria, turn right into plaza.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 2:12 AM

More importantly it needs a grocery store of its own so residents can walk to the grocery store and not have to drive to one at all. That's something all urban residents should have.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
There'd better be a small grocery store included in this development, because the Isabella Loblaws would be near impossible to access by vehicle from this location. Isabella serves the Glebe, and all the streets bordering the Glebe serve the Glebe (ie - they are all one-ways, heading *out* of the community, while barring access *in*).

Old Ottawa East needs something of its own given the geographical barriers.
OOE has always been isolated by the Rideau Canal and Rideau river and there is not much there for a reason, not enough population to sustain businesses.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 6:46 PM
Still optimistic

OOE would definitely benefit from new pedestrian bridges:

Canal:
- 1st/Hazel
- 5th/Clegg

Rideau:
- Springhurst/Hurdman
-Clegg/Hurdman

Just some basic, no-frills bridges - even temporary ones- would do wonders for access, especially for Lansdowne-goers and LRT riders.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 6:58 PM
National Capital Region

5th/Clegg bridge is supposed to be built within the next 5-10 years. Here is an update from October from the City
https://www.facebook.com/MidtownFootbridge
Quote:
City update (Oct 16) on footbridge: " ...the timeframe for the construction of the Rideau Canal Crossing, between 5th and Clegg, is 2020-2025. We are presently continuing with the design of the bridge with that expectation in mind. Design work completed to-date includes the development of a preliminary design and the completion of a value engineering (VE) study. We are in the process of evaluating the efficacy of viable ideas identified in the VE study."

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Is there retail or not? A development of this size can support a grocery store, pharmacy, and hardware store. If all 3 are not present this is a complete failure IMO.
I wouldn't be so harsh before seeing what actually happens. There is already a pharmacy across the street (Watson's). When I lived in the area, many years ago, I had no trouble walking to Loblaw's at Pretoria for groceries.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:32 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 9:19 PM

Anyone heard on how the EQ Canal Homes turned out?

I'm excited by this project but not sure what to think of the developer....

The townhomes they built on the Rideau River are ok, nothing spectacular. While I love the Barry Hobin design of the project, I would like to find out whether this builder is building a quality product.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
I'm excited by this project but not sure what to think of the developer....

The townhomes they built on the Rideau River are ok, nothing spectacular. While I love the Barry Hobin design of the project, I would like to find out whether this builder is building a quality product.
I think there is still at least one unsold unit left. You could check it out. That said, Given the pricing they have hinted at I would think the Oblate project is probably a bit lower end in terms of finishes.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
I wouldn't be so harsh before seeing what actually happens. There is already a pharmacy across the street (Watson's). When I lived in the area, many years ago, I had no trouble walking to Loblaw's at Pretoria for groceries.
Its the coming back full of groceries that is hard.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 2:26 AM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
Its the coming back full of groceries that is hard.
Carrying groceries is much less labourous than you'd think. I'm a little shrimp who is 5'8" and weighs 120 pounds with a 28 inch waist and little tiny arms and I can still carry 4 full grocery bags for a kilometre by myself without issue.

It's actually really good exercise. If everyone built regular exercise like this into their everyday tasks, they wouldn't need to go to the gym.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
i'm a little shrimp who is 5'8" and weighs 120 pounds with a 28 inch waist and little tiny arms
tmi!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
tmi!
What does tmi stand for?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
What does tmi stand for?
Too Much Information.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schattenjager View Post
Too Much Information.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 11:39 AM

Apparently they launched, and promptly sold, another chunk of this development on Saturday. Surprised it passed under the Forum's radar, ditto, didn't see anything about it on the Citizen.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 12:35 PM

We had pre-registered and received an email for pre-launch for yesterday and today. Received the floorplans and some sense of pricing. Singles will start in the high $700s for one collection(with backyard garage and no yard) and $1 million plus for the two remainding collections. Designs for higher priced singles are nice. As for the townhouses, they are 12 and 14 feet wide, sorry but not for me. Hopefully the Rockliffe redevelopment will be better.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
We had pre-registered and received an email for pre-launch for yesterday and today. Received the floorplans and some sense of pricing. Singles will start in the high $700s for one collection(with backyard garage and no yard) and $1 million plus for the two remainding collections. Designs for higher priced singles are nice. As for the townhouses, they are 12 and 14 feet wide, sorry but not for me. Hopefully the Rockliffe redevelopment will be better.
I was wondering when they were going to launch, they have been spamming my Facebook feed for months.

I would expect Rockcliffe to be cheaper as the location is not nearly as good. 700k for a new detached house seems like a deal, but I guess without a yard it is really more like a townhouse without a shared wall.

Do the bigger single family houses have yards?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 3:57 PM

Yes the larger singles have backyards as their garages are at the front. Homes are pretty similar to what Barry Hobin did for Uniform Developments in Westboro and what Legacy Homes is currently building on Melbourne Avenue. They tend to be on the narrow side (approximately 20 feet wide) but deep. Not clear what the finishes are though. There will be 16 homes in the high $700s, with 23 homes in the $1 million plus. Looking at the community plan, it will be very high density.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa