HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 2:12 AM
Halifax Promoter!

It just looks strange! and I don't think it is a good idea to leave the Stained Glass exposed like that....

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
It just looks strange! and I don't think it is a good idea to leave the Stained Glass exposed like that....
Stained glass is usually exposed...it is a window after all?

This development keeps impressing me more and more. The quality at street level is probably the best we have seen of any new development in the city in years.

Why was the thread switched to completed? They still have some work to do. The balcony glass for one could change the whole feel of the building.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 5:48 PM

This is tilted towards the sidewalk so passers-by can better take a look at it.

I think this effort in the 'public art' aspect of the project is much better than the usual in the city.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 5:55 PM

In my opinion Dexel is the best developer in terms of aesthetics and quality, and with that I find they improve with each building. They have better attention to detail than most.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT Hfx View Post

I think this effort in the 'public art' aspect of the project is much better than the usual in the city.
Also, it should cast a pattern on the sidewalk when the light shines through, no? Which will be nice.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT Hfx View Post

Yeah, I like the way it hearkens to the site's past, without being kitschy about it.

I still think there are one too many cladding materials at street level, makingnfor an overly busy look, but the massing and street frontage are turning out very nicely.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 9:58 PM
Halifax Promoter!

When I mentioned exposed, I meant not to weather but to other things such as vandals. I hope that would never happen.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I still think there are one too many cladding materials at street level, makingnfor an overly busy look, but the massing and street frontage are turning out very nicely.

I went past earlier this week and saw that the doors to the street-level townhouse units are a brilliant yellow-gold, just to add to the busyness.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 11:25 PM

This is the one thing I don't like about this building at all. I find it architecturally offensive to have the beautiful stained glass windows from the original church turned into nothing more than cake decoration. These windows should have be properly respected and installed as ACTUAL windows in the building allowing coloured light to filter inside a 2 story lobby or commercial space... as they were meant to do. It's extremely tacky in my view for such beautiful material to be treated as nothing more than a colourful trinket stuck on the outside like cheap costume jewellery. Not respectful of the original material at all.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 11:42 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Hmm, this project honestly looks really nice with the retail/townhousing base, and the tower has a clean look to it. As for this public art, I'm mostly alright with it. As addressed by someone else, I can't be surprised if a vandal would damage the stained glass within this "wall" of the piece. The overall design and execution of the art is done well and all, but it's that one issue that irks me, and makes me wonder if hypothetically someone damaged the stained glass/art piece, would the condo's maintenance fees apply here?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 4:30 PM

At first glance I thought they were installing plywood railings. Turns out it's decorative glass.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 2:15 PM

I feel this might of gotten buried in the mass updates we had the other day. I think unique balconies like this deserve some comments.

Personally I like them overall. Not the best balconies in town but better than the standard wooden ones more dominant in the north-end. #1 still goes to The Vic.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
I feel this might of gotten buried in the mass updates we had the other day. I think unique balconies like this deserve some comments.

Personally I like them overall. Not the best balconies in town but better than the standard wooden ones more dominant in the north-end. #1 still goes to The Vic.
I don't HATE them, but I think they're trying a little too hard. If the rest of the building was more restrained, I'd like them more.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post

Yeah, they're weird but I like 'em.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 7:29 PM

I have a new game I'm playing in Halifax called "count the cladding materials." I'm either gonna have to take off my shoes or borrow some hands.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 11:13 PM

I was worried about the amount of materials on this building but the colour palate of all of them are close enough that it doesn't really bother me much.

I really like the bunch effect of the colour on the balcony (not as good as The Vic) but it helps to make those bright doors a little less harsh.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 3:09 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I was worried about the amount of materials on this building but the colour palate of all of them are close enough that it doesn't really bother me much.
I think I prefer a busier design like this to many of the bland buildings with grey or beige precast or metal panels.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think I prefer a busier design like this to many of the bland buildings with grey or beige precast or metal panels.
Agreed. Much prefer this one to Icon Bay, Maple, and Point North. All horribly ugly buildings in my opinion.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
Agreed. Much prefer this one to Icon Bay, Maple, and Point North. All horribly ugly buildings in my opinion.
I think the Maple is okay. ("Okay" isn't nearly good enough given the visibility of the building, both size- and location-wise, but still...it's okay.) But Point North and Icon Bay are indeed atrocious, as are many others.

I have quibbles with the design of this one, but overall I think it'' really good. I live a few blocks up, and it feels like a really solid addition to the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 7:28 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I think the most important impact the Maple will have is that it will increase the density of people and businesses downtown. The second most important factor will be how it works out at street level. That seems promising to me but it's hard to tell given the closed sidewalks and the building's unfinished state.

I think the design of parts of the upper floors could have been better but then again that is less important. The building is almost certainly going to be a big net win for downtown, and the aesthetics will matter less as that area fills in more with other buildings.

Overall it's hard to see how all the construction happening isn't hugely positive for the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth