HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 10:19 PM

Was browsing through some websites today and came across this amongst other concept studies done by Studio Works International. http://www.studiowks.ca/Studiowks/Pr...onceptual.html

Its the only one I could identify, it appears to be a proposal for the large parking lot on Harvey Street behind Letson Court.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 11:03 PM

Sorry this isn't peninsula-related, but does anyone know what's happening to the former Applebee's in Lacewood? It's been under construction lately.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 2:57 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I was poking around a bit more on the HRM website and found a report about tax credits for Barrington Street heritage buildings from June: http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/hac/...ortWebcopy.pdf

There are a handful of buildings covered. The highlight to me is that restoration work is planned for 1678 Barrington Street, the Idealbikes building, also known as the Phinney Building. It was built circa 1820 and I have a feeling there are some really interesting features buried under all old paint.

The report also includes details on 1537 Barrington Street, the Pacific Building. It confirms that the current work involves reinstating the old street level storefront appearance.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 12:29 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoshanMcG View Post
Sorry this isn't peninsula-related, but does anyone know what's happening to the former Applebee's in Lacewood? It's been under construction lately.
Retales is reporting that Fong Sing and ricks are moving there, to make room for a maritime travel, something else i cant remember and Dollarama.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
Retales is reporting that Fong Sing and ricks are moving there, to make room for a maritime travel, something else i cant remember and Dollarama.
The publication-who-shall-not-be-named is saying it's Mezza that's going to take the Applebee's spot.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I was poking around a bit more on the HRM website and found a report about tax credits for Barrington Street heritage buildings from June: http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/hac/...ortWebcopy.pdf

There are a handful of buildings covered. The highlight to me is that restoration work is planned for 1678 Barrington Street, the Idealbikes building, also known as the Phinney Building. It was built circa 1820 and I have a feeling there are some really interesting features buried under all old paint.

The report also includes details on 1537 Barrington Street, the Pacific Building. It confirms that the current work involves reinstating the old street level storefront appearance.
Hey, nice find! Thanks for posting that.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
The publication-who-shall-not-be-named is saying it's Mezza that's going to take the Applebee's spot.
I drove by today and Ziobrop hit the nail on the head. There are four companies names for the reno on the sign. I will try to grab a pic next time by

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 6:39 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalsales View Post
I drove by today and Ziobrop hit the nail on the head. There are four companies names for the reno on the sign. I will try to grab a pic next time by

From Halifax ReTales site!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 5:40 PM

Ricks Variety and Anna's Salon are already tenants in the strip mall, side by side. So perhaps they're relocating here and one of the other three will move into their old spot?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:21 PM

it's a whole shift around to accommodate Dollarama and easyHome

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 1:33 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Somebody posted pictures of demolition notices on 2 heritage buildings on Barrington Street: https://twitter.com/spcushing/status/657229561160187904

That is severely messed up. The building in the middle also would have been a heritage building had it not been for the hideous renovation. The wooden building is from circa 1816.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 1:53 AM

I think these are owned by the Lawen's, they sit on fairly big lots. I wondered if these would eventually be torn down to make way for something in line with their recent projects.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Somebody posted pictures of demolition notices on 2 heritage buildings on Barrington Street: https://twitter.com/spcushing/status/657229561160187904

That is severely messed up. The building in the middle also would have been a heritage building had it not been for the hideous renovation. The wooden building is from circa 1816.
That is one ballsy (and awful) move. I assume there's no way it'll be approved? But the last thing this city needs is more historic buildings in the hands of developers and property owners actively hostile to maintaining them.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 4:01 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
That is one ballsy (and awful) move. I assume there's no way it'll be approved? But the last thing this city needs is more historic buildings in the hands of developers and property owners actively hostile to maintaining them.
The problem is that even if the permit is not approved, it must be issued after 3 years. The rule was previously only 1 year. Halifax has very weak heritage protections.

I believe HRM council is also planning to make the southern part of Barrington a heritage district.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 9:08 AM

That could be great if they include some residential and some exciting retail space. The Barrington St so called shopping district could expand to south of Spring Garden Rd. That whole block from Bishop to Morris has been a very negative part of the city for a long time.
Keith please bring in your wrecking ball.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
The problem is that even if the permit is not approved, it must be issued after 3 years. The rule was previously only 1 year. Halifax has very weak heritage protections.

I believe HRM council is also planning to make the southern part of Barrington a heritage district.
I don't know what it's like in other provinces, but in Ontario, a municipality can tell a developer "no," but they're still allowed to demolish after a number of years have passed. However, the municipality can also bring a developer or property owner to the Ontario Municipal Board, and if the OMB says no, that's NO. This has happened a number of times.

A heritage district wouldn't offer full protection (look at the recent issue with the Green Lantern) but it would certainly help. I'm amazed that developers are actually lining up heritage buildings on Barrington Street and applying to demolish them. It's outrageous. Especially something like this: It's not as if the city is stuffed full of baroque Victorian brick mansions.

Last edited by Drybrain; Oct 24, 2015 at 12:38 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 1:54 PM

Quote:

I give up. I was starting to think we were getting smarter than that, but nothing has changed.

No foresight around here at all. Somebody flashes some cash and everybody bows down - and our "regulations" are designed to facilitate that.

Heritage District - what a joke. It's pathetic, really.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 1:59 PM

Time for Mr. Mason to step up and show what he is made of.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I give up. I was starting to think we were getting smarter than that, but nothing has changed.

No foresight around here at all. Somebody flashes some cash and everybody bows down - and our "regulations" are designed to facilitate that.

Heritage District - what a joske. It's pathetic, really.
I feel your discouragement. I was down around there today, and in just a handful of blocks you've got the Dennis, Westwood's big block-bust on Spring Garden, and this. (Plus a bunch of smaller but still serviceable and character-filled buildings at needless risk). You'd struggle to find a comparably large collection of endangered historic architecture, in such a concentrated area, anywhere in the country. I really don't know what to chalk it up to.

Every city loses a great old building now and then, but it feels like Halifax developers in particular really don't see the value in these structures. Some do, but enough don't that it's making a negative impact on the city's built landscape. And Haligonians, by and large, tend to assume that's just how development is supposed to work, and we should be grateful for any development at all, and not bother pressing for better.

It's strange.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I feel your discouragement. I was down around there today, and in just a handful of blocks you've got the Dennis, Westwood's big block-bust on Spring Garden, and this. (Plus a bunch of smaller but still serviceable and character-filled buildings at needless risk). You'd struggle to find a comparably large collection of endangered historic architecture, in such a concentrated area, anywhere in the country. I really don't know what to chalk it up to.

Every city loses a great old building now and then, but it feels like Halifax developers in particular really don't see the value in these structures. Some do, but enough don't that it's making a negative impact on the city's built landscape. And Haligonians, by and large, tend to assume that's just how development is supposed to work, and we should be grateful for any development at all, and not bother pressing for better.

It's strange.
Halifax politicians are philistines.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth