HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 9:13 AM
Veni Vidi Vici

^ My guess is an average of 5-10% non-white in western Europe (much higher percentages in the cities of course....) and considerably less than that in former eastern bloc countries where almost everyone is white.

Last edited by Mercutio; May 17, 2007 at 9:18 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 9:26 AM
SSC expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by liat91 View Post
And for the immigrants in certain countries that didn't come from another European country, I would only include Turks and Israelis as being white. Syria and Iran have many white looking people but not enough to generalize them as being majority white.
If you classify Turks as "white" I don't see how you cannot classify Arabs and Iranians as "white" too.

Here is the former Miss World Germany Sandra Ahrabian for instance, she is Iranian and doesn't look any less white than your average Turk.

Last edited by Nexus6; May 17, 2007 at 10:14 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Back to my original simple question.
Does anyone have a wild/educated/uneducated guess as to the racial demographics of the whole of Europe at this point. Europe is what? over 700 million people. I'm guessing it's around 90-95% white. And for the immigrants in certain countries that didn't come from another European country, I would only include Turks and Israelis as being white. Syria and Iran have many white looking people but not enough to generalize them as being majority white. Any ideas? Guess, I don't care, I'm just looking for a gross idea. Thanks again guys.
And back to the original simple response.
Nobody is taking notes on white, black or otherwise.
Why the obsession with race? What purpose does it serve?

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 12:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiRO View Post
And back to the original simple response.
Nobody is taking notes on white, black or otherwise.
Why the obsession with race? What purpose does it serve?

Racially, not much. But coming from an American prospective, we're very racial. People simply want to know.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 5:57 PM
YIMBY co-founder

While most places in Europe have as an anti-racism meassure a policy of NOT keeping track of people's race. The notion of race is arbitrary anyway. One way to divide is in races is to see that we're all the same race (Homo Sapiens) or we could divide everyone into thousands of races. How many there are nad where to draw the lines is 100% a social construction.

Rough estimates can be made from statistics on where people are born (and sometimes from where their parents are born for 2nd gen immigrants). But I really don't care enough to try to dig out/compile such stats.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 1:41 AM
Tokyo and Paris fan

A bad new for someone a good for other but in France there is the project to introduction ethnical statistic to reduction discrimination.
Good or Idea ?

According the Conseil représentatif des associations noires (Cran) there is between 3 and 5 million black people in France (Include overseas departements) 1/4 are from Caribbean and 1/3 from Africa.(Most are french born)
Closer than 5 million according my observation in big and medium cities.
Accroding Chinois de France there is about 1 million people ethnicaly Chinese in France. (Most are french born)
1 million ethnicaly chinese it is maybe to many but 1 million ethnical east asian should be right
I don't have information for the arab but it is the largest non white group in France
And I don't have information for south Asian and mixed people like me.

By any way today France is the country with the highest non white population in Europe.

Even if I agree with Swede and I don't like the idea race, I very curious to know how is the modern French population.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2007, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Watch the movie Volver and you might change your mind.
Movies are a totally unreliable barometre. Mancuso elsewhere expressed surprise that the UK was 90% white. His surprise probably coming form knowing Britain largely through television programs, adverts, music videos, movies etc or by being a tourist in London which is the nearest thing the world has to a capital city and is in effect a city state.

I appreciate I am on dangerous ground here but metropolitan ad agencies and casting agencies have informal quota systems in place insuring black/Asian presence in virtually every television programme or advert.. necessarilly this exaggerates the percentage of non whites. I make no complaint or judgment. I just point to a reality.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 11:31 PM

Speaking for the United States, there are quite a few areas that are 100% white. The largest neighborhoods being:

City, State, ZIP Code - Population

1. Jessup, PA, 18434 - 4,107
2. Kinsman, OH, 44428 - 3,396
3. Naples, ME, 04055 - 3,226
4. Alum Creek, WV, 25003 - 3,139
5. Shelbiana, KY, 41562 - 2,853

Reference: United States Census ZIP Code Demographics

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 2:21 PM
Honored Member

Which European metropolitan areas grew the most in the last five years ?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 5:23 PM
Global Citizen

/\

Percentage-wise it's most likely Valencia.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 5:54 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

It depend the size, over one million inhabitants it is maybe Valencia. Metroplitain areas in Spain and in southwestern France grow quite fast.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 10:08 PM
architechno

Toulouse is the fastest growing metropolitan area in Europe:
  • population of the urban area: 761 090 (1999) | 871 800 (2007)
  • population of the metro: 964 797 (1999) | 1 117 000 (2007)

Quote:
Demographics

The population of the city proper was 390,350 (as of the 1999 census), with 964,797 inhabitants in the metropolitan area (as of 1999 census). As of 1 January 2005 estimate, the population of the city proper reached 435,000 inhabitants, which means a record 1.9% population growth per year between 1999 and 2005 for the city proper.

Toulouse is the fourth largest city in France, after Paris, Marseille and Lyon. In 1999 Toulouse was the fifth largest metropolitan area in France, after Paris, Lyon, Marseille and Lille.

Fueled by booming aerospace and high-tech industries, population growth of 1.5% a year in the metropolitan area in the 1990s (compared with a sluggish 0.37% for metropolitan France), and a record 2.2% yearly growth in the 2000s (0.58% for metropolitan France), means Toulouse metropolitan area hit the 1,000,000 inhabitants mark in 2002 or 2003. Boasting the highest population growth of any French metropolitan area larger than 500,000 inhabitants, Toulouse has already grown past Lille to become the fourth largest metropolitan area and is on its way to overtake Lyon as the third largest city of France. With 2.2% yearly population growth in the metropolitan area, Toulouse is also the fastest growing metropolitan area larger than one million inhabitants in Europe.

Wikipedia

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 8:44 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Which European metropolitan areas grew the most in the last five years ?
Stockholm is growing quite a bit, but I can't find the last five years. I could find end of 2005 and end of 2008.

Code:
                                    2005-12-31             2008-12-31  
Stockholm City                         771 038                810 120
Stockholm's County (metro area)      1 889 945              1 981 263
The City, County and Urban Area are all at record levels now, the City topped to old pre-suburbanisation peak last year. 5% in three years is fairly big - especially since nowhere near that much housing was built.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 7:54 PM

I saw London is now 69% white now. U.K. probably around 90% (England alone is 88% white).

I believe they say France is about 80% white and Germany about 92% white.

I do believe Europe should try and preserve itself since Asia, Middle East, Africa and indigineous Latin Americans are certainly doing so.

I truly want Africa and Asia to diversy much more than they currently are. At least 10% anyway. This would make the world a much more interesting place. Not just Europe, U.S., Canada and Australia being systematically remade. This is what will happen at this point if we don't want to consider race/culture as a human variable. In a 100 years when the worlds population is shringking is when we should not discuss race/culture any longer.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 1:55 AM

hm very touchy subject but here is my 2 cents.
Some countries in Eastern Europe ( for example Croatia ,97% ethnic clear)white,croats only.

In Canada its different story,mix from all over the world.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 4:47 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
I do believe Europe should try and preserve itself since Asia, Middle East, Africa and indigineous Latin Americans are certainly doing so.
Since when is Africa and Asia racist like that? The reason the West has been diversifying for many years now while other places haven't is simple: people want to move to the West. Far fewer want to move from "white" countries to "non-white" countries since most are far worse of economically and human rights-wise. I honestly don't get how anyone thinks (which I interpret it that you do) that "they" are intentionally trying to wipe "us" out by moving here and intermarrying. If you got the chance to move from the 3rd world to the 1st, wouldn't you take that chance? We got it good here and people in less well of parts of the world know this, so some try to move here. Nothing sinister about it.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Since when is Africa and Asia racist like that? The reason the West has been diversifying for many years now while other places haven't is simple: people want to move to the West. Far fewer want to move from "white" countries to "non-white" countries since most are far worse of economically and human rights-wise. I honestly don't get how anyone thinks (which I interpret it that you do) that "they" are intentionally trying to wipe "us" out by moving here and intermarrying. If you got the chance to move from the 3rd world to the 1st, wouldn't you take that chance? We got it good here and people in less well of parts of the world know this, so some try to move here. Nothing sinister about it.
I somewhat agree on this.I think its part of so called globalization.more people coming to west and here at west gladly accepted to some degree, more and more people coming regardless where they come from ,to cut story short ,more people -less jobs-less pay.

Last edited by mark76; Jun 5, 2009 at 5:52 PM. Reason: mispell

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 7:34 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Quote:
Back to my original simple question.
Does anyone have a wild/educated/uneducated guess as to the racial demographics of the whole of Europe at this point. Europe is what? over 700 million people. I'm guessing it's around 90-95% white.
I doubt you will find many in Europe judging or messuring people by skin colour... or even using the term "white"..

What I can say is that in my municipal "Københavns Kommune" ( 1 of 18 that makes up Copenhagen ) 26,47% of the population ( 109.865 ) is immigrants
Quote:
And for the immigrants in certain countries that didn't come from another European country, I would only include Turks and Israelis as being white. Syria and Iran have many white looking people but not enough to generalize them as being majority white. Any ideas? Guess, I don't care, I'm just looking for a gross idea. Thanks again guys.
I'm not gonna go into this skin colour thing - what people look like is of no importance to me and starting to make lines along borders as to whom look white and whom doesn't sounds rather gross to me!

Comming from Scandianvia everyone south of Berlin looks "dark" anyway so I'm not the right one to ask...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 10:36 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
What I can say is that in my municipal "Københavns Kommune" ( 1 of 18 that makes up Copenhagen ) 26,47% of the population ( 109.865 ) is immigrants
My municipality has a lower rate, but when including 2nd generation Swedes it is at 28.1% (my district: 76.4%). Mind you, the largest country of origin (for the whole city): Finland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
Comming from Scandianvia everyone south of Berlin looks "dark" anyway so I'm not the right one to ask...
Yeah, South of Berlin (or the Alps when being generous) and east of Finland = not really "white" to those who care about such things up here. Where the line between the races are drawn is very arbitrary.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 9:23 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Quote:
I believe they say France is about 80% white.
I think it is closer to 15% than 20%.

Something interresting about the past.

Foreigners in 1931 France.
  • Italian: 808,038
  • Polish: 507,811
  • Spanish: 351,864
  • Belgian: 253,694
  • Swiss: 98,475
  • Russian: 71,928
  • German: 71,729
  • Portuguese: 48,963
  • Czechoslovak: 47,401
  • English: 47,322
  • Turkish: 36,119
  • Yugoslav: 31,873
  • Armenian: 29,227
  • Luxembourgish: 21,466
  • Greeks: 19,123
  • Hugarian: 18,824
  • American (USA): 16,819
  • Romanian: 15,387

Naturalized (Immigrant having gain the french nationality) by country of birth in 1931.
  • Italy: 100,642
  • Belgium: 66,896
  • Germany: 33,204
  • Spain: 26,935
  • Switzerland: 19,714
  • Poland: 13,535
  • Russia: 10,972
  • Luxembourg: 7,057
  • Turkey: 5,114
  • Great Britain and Ireland: 4,352
  • Romania: 4,317
  • Greece: 1,751
  • USA: 1,623

People from french colonies in 1931.
  • North Africa: 85,568
  • Rest of Africa: 16,401
  • Asia: 7,929

http://www.histoire-immigration.fr/u..._diag_1931.pdf

Few people know that were about 900,000 immigrant from in Italy in 1931. Oxford university estimated that in the 1980's about 10% of the french propulation had at least a italian immigrant grand parent.

Last edited by Minato Ku; Sep 6, 2009 at 4:34 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe