HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 12:54 AM

Some great lowrise projects in this CDR:

2001 Beach Street

https://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/p...on_reduced.pdf

The Elm @ 63rd and Overbrook

https://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/p...ket-053019.pdf

Copper Flats @ 2005 N Howard Street

https://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/p...DR_reduced.pdf

1924 Hagert Street

1929 York Street

4233 Chestnut Street

https://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/p...-Low%20Res.pdf

I especially like the use of arches in that Overbrook project. Really looks sharp.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 1:33 AM

^^Love it. Thanks Mcgrath. Love that every CDR submission has a smattering of midrise buildings month after month literally peppered all over the city.

Also love that Overbrook/Wynnefield are is in a mini boom in and of itself. This is a highly underrated area of the city.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post
There are a ton more stores listed, you can see a list of them in the 9th street tunnel. Can't remember all of them but Primark, Movado, Nike, tons of others we weren't aware of.
Yeah, there's quit a lot that we haven't heard of yet I feel like. Zara is 100% reopening here too.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 11:31 AM

The Elm looks tremendous. Especially p. 16. Using brick and GFRC that mimics limestone (and does so pretty damn well). If they can do something that looks this nice in Overbrook, they can do it in Center City. There is no excuse for some of the cheap, flimsy-looking cladding and thoughtless bays (with materials and colors that don't relate to each other within the building let alone the streetscape). We need to do a lot better when building projects that are part and parcel to contributing structures on key city blocks and where Standard 9 applies.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
The Elm looks tremendous. Especially p. 16. Using brick and GFRC that mimics limestone (and does so pretty damn well). If they can do something that looks this nice in Overbrook, they can do it in Center City. There is no excuse for some of the cheap, flimsy-looking cladding and thoughtless bays (with materials and colors that don't relate to each other within the building let alone the streetscape). We need to do a lot better when building projects that are part and parcel to contributing structures on key city blocks and where Standard 9 applies.
Well said. The Elm's timeless design stands out in an era of trendy awkward architecture.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Yeah, there's quit a lot that we haven't heard of yet I feel like. Zara is 100% reopening here too.
Confirmed that it's heading there? It only makes sense. You don't just close and fail to reopen a profitable store because you want something bigger. Zara should continue to do well in this location if an expanded version does move there.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Well said. The Elm's timeless design stands out in an era of trendy awkward architecture.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Cool. Could you ask him if they are planning to paint the upper half of that skanky building?
I emailed the FD about it and posted their response here, it will be painted.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
A friend of mine works for PREIT doing leasing stuff (I'm not really familiar with the specifics tbh) and has constantly been super enthusiastic about the Fashion District. So at least internally it would seem they're optimistic about how things are going and don't see it turning into a disaster. I know this is super anecdotal but figured I'd pass it along.
I think most Center City residents are hesitantly excited about it - if only for a flagship cinema and the City Winery venue. I think if done right - in coordination with East Market - the illuminated screen effect will be really cool and energetic - certainly a massive first-impression improvement for tourists and conventioneers from the drab conditions before.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 3:00 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

For those that are interested, site prep has begun for Penn's new Tangen Hall

A few yet-to-be-announced projects are brewing in the immediate area to the north and west, I'll keep you all posted once get more info.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post

A few yet-to-be-announced projects are brewing in the immediate area to the north and west, I'll keep you all posted once get more info.
Thanks. Good info as always

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Confirmed that it's heading there? It only makes sense. You don't just close and fail to reopen a profitable store because you want something bigger. Zara should continue to do well in this location if an expanded version does move there.
Yes, confirmed.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Yes, confirmed.
That's a little bittersweet in the sense that FD is cannibalizing Walnut Street a bit. I know they wanted more space and rent is crazy on Walnut, but that store was incredibly popular.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
What building are they wedging into the property around 37th and Spruce? It's a few floors up now.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
What building are they wedging into the property around 37th and Spruce? It's a few floors up now.
New Wharton building - different project.

https://www.pennconnects.upenn.edu/f...g_overview.php

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
That's a little bittersweet in the sense that FD is cannibalizing Walnut Street a bit. I know they wanted more space and rent is crazy on Walnut, but that store was incredibly popular.

Zara is a mid-market retailer. That close to the square and with all the new development around it, 100% can garner a more substantial retailer.

The FDP location will 100% be an anchor destination site, and exactly what PREIT needed.

I honestly though wish they turned FDP floor plates to accommodate more bix box stores center city needs.

Bed Bath Beyond
Best Buy
Full Scale Target

But it did not take that route. For better or worst.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, confirmed.
Nice!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 1:16 PM

Per BizJournal, the Red Bell Brewery in Brewerytown has gotten a construction loan to be redeveloped. Looks like a great project!

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel..._news_headline

Looks like there's quite a bit of development in that pocket along the edge of Fairmount Park north of Girard: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9786...4!8i8192?hl=en

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post
There are a ton more stores listed, you can see a list of them in the 9th street tunnel. Can't remember all of them but Primark, Movado, Nike, tons of others we weren't aware of.
Is this the sign you are referring to:

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ePlanningPhila View Post
Zara is a mid-market retailer. That close to the square and with all the new development around it, 100% can garner a more substantial retailer.
Have you been to Walnut Street recently? It's not exactly 5th avenue in terms of upscale shopping - which is fine. But there's some vacancies that have been there for years... and the newest "additions" are banks. I've wondered if the FDP has a lot of interested retailers in a holding pattern - unsure of whether to open on Walnut or Market East until the dust settles and FDP opens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ePlanningPhila View Post
The FDP location will 100% be an anchor destination site, and exactly what PREIT needed.

I honestly though wish they turned FDP floor plates to accommodate more bix box stores center city needs.

Bed Bath Beyond
Best Buy
Full Scale Target

But it did not take that route. For better or worst.

Agree - I've been saying this for nearly a decade now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development