HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 2:19 PM
Pay it Forward

Census 2018 Update: Asians Become Largest Racial Group in 2nd California County

Santa Clara county(Pop 1.9 million) reached this milestone in 2014, now neighboring Alameda county(Pop 1.6 million) has followed suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Jose Mercury News
Asians are now largest group in these two Bay Area counties, new data shows
Leonardo Castañeda
PUBLISHED: June 20, 2019 at 5:00 am | UPDATED

The skyline of Oakland, Calif. gleams in the late afternoon sunlight, Thursday, Nov. 17, 2011. Alameda County became the second county with a plurality of Asian residents in 2018, according to new census numbers. (D. Ross Cameron/Staff)

Asians, the fastest growing racial group in the United States, now make up the largest share of Alameda County’s population, according to newly released data from the U.S. Census Bureau.

The latest census numbers on race and ethnicity, released Thursday, highlight the Bay Area’s increasingly diverse population. In Santa Clara County, one of the first minority-majority counties in the nation, Asians have been the largest racial group since 2014.

The change in Alameda County has been unfolding slowly for years. The county’s Asian population increased almost 32 percent since 2010. Last year, it reached 518,400, according to the census, just slightly ahead of the white population at 518,000.

In San Mateo, San Francisco and Contra Costa counties, white residents make up the largest share of the population. Asians make up the second largest share in San Francisco and San Mateo counties, while Hispanics rank second in Contra Costa, the data showed.

Samir Gambhir, a program manager with the Haas Institute who co-authored a 2018 report on segregation in the Bay Area, said in an email that the Asian population in the nine-county region has been growing rapidly for decades...
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/06/...data-shows/amp

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 3:11 PM

Alameda, apples to apples, is cheaper than Santa Clara County and almost as convenient to major SV HQ, so not surprising. I assume the southern half of the county is totally transformed.

I can easily see the value in spending big bucks in SF, Marin, the Peninsula, maybe the Oakland Hills. But it's places like Hayward, Union City and most of Fremont, that are crazy expensive relative to what you get. Those areas would be slums if in Ohio.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 3:17 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Alameda, apples to apples, is cheaper than Santa Clara County and almost as convenient to major SV HQ, so not surprising. I assume the southern half of the county is totally transformed.

I can easily see the value in spending big bucks in SF, Marin, the Peninsula, maybe the Oakland Hills. But it's places like Hayward, Union City and most of Fremont, that are crazy expensive relative to what you get. Those areas would be slums if in Ohio.
Then Ohio must be pretty swanky if this area, which is 74% Asian, is a slum compared to Youngstown or Akron.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Then Ohio must be pretty swanky if this area, which is 74% Asian, is a slum compared to Youngstown or Akron.
What a fucking ghetto!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 8:19 PM

That looks like Calabasas or some place like that. I know it's not as hip as the peninsula, but I find the entire East Bay to be quite pleasant. Nice climate, less expensive, easier to get around.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 5:53 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

You know what's weird is that in Hawaii their (Asian) share is continuously shrinking (going in the opposite direction) after being the largest for decades. Hispanics/Latinos are by far the fastest growing in raw numbers and percentage in Hawaii now, I believe followed by Blacks/African American.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanguy View Post
You know what's weird is that in Hawaii their (Asian) share is continuously shrinking (going in the opposite direction) after being the largest for decades. Hispanics/Latinos are by far the fastest growing in raw numbers and percentage in Hawaii now, I believe followed by Blacks/African American.
While lots of people from Hawaii move to the mainland for a lower COL, I have to guess a major component of the Asian decline is just that younger people are more likely to be multiracial (or self-identify as such).

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:

What is going to "totally transform" it is phase 2 of the BART extension:

Images: https://www.google.com/search?rls=en...0aSWw78mKXWRM:

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 8:20 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
While lots of people from Hawaii move to the mainland for a lower COL, I have to guess a major component of the Asian decline is just that younger people are more likely to be multiracial (or self-identify as such).
Another huge factor other than the move to the mainland or multiracial identification is that many of the older generation of Asian's are dying off, per se like the Japanese while the Korean and Chinese population remain stagnant similar to what is going on with the Japanese population but not as significant of a drop in numbers. However, the Filipino population is continuing to increase and is now the largest Asian ethnic group statewide. The Vietnamese population continues to grow too but slowly, I think one of the fastest growing percentage-wise would be the Nepali/Nepalese currently but they've got a long way to go to catch up to the others in raw numbers.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 8:20 PM
Dryer lint inspector

"Asian" is not a racial group. Or an ethnic group.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Thanks for making this point. The Census Bureau definition is absurd. But, of course the concept of “race” has no scientific meaning. Conceptually, “Asian” could refer to anyone who lives in or is descended from the continent of Asia – which has the bulk of modern day Russia, the middle east, the subcontinent of India and most of the SE Pacific Region, an area of great human genetic and ethnic diversity. Why the Census bureau perpetuates such racist nonsense in 2019 is ridiculous.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
Thanks for making this point. The Census Bureau definition is absurd. But, of course the concept of “race” has no scientific meaning. Conceptually, “Asian” could refer to anyone who lives in or is descended from the continent of Asia – which has the bulk of modern day Russia, the middle east, the subcontinent of India and most of the SE Pacific Region, an area of great human genetic and ethnic diversity. Why the Census bureau perpetuates such racist nonsense in 2019 is ridiculous.
Stupid? Sure. Inaccurate? Yes. But RACIST? it's 2019, I guess everything is racist, right?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
Stupid? Sure. Inaccurate? Yes. But RACIST? it's 2019, I guess everything is racist, right?
Perhaps I should have said perpetuating the nonsense of race as something other than a loose concept that needs to be retired from our thinking. Race as a notion is an outdated concept. Racism, however, remains as a man made notion that has plagued out thinking for far too long.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 1:28 AM

Quote:
This is cherrypicking, obviously. You picked probably the 1% nicest neighborhood. I can find big mansions in Mississippi and Detroit.

I've spent time in Hayward, and it isn't a very nice place. Maybe "slum" is a stretch, but I bet it's undesirable even within context of the East Bay.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:41 AM

^ Don't you ever get tired? Is this your only hobby?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:58 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
I wouldn't go as far as to call it racist. Remember, Hispanics/Latinos are also lumped in together as a monolithic group despite ~30 or so countries making up Latin America. Up until recently, Asians of all backgrounds comprised such a tiny percentage of the population and officials might break them down by region at some point.

Even "white" is ambiguous, most think it's European Americans or people who watch HGTV but according to census, it could also mean anyone from northern Africa/ Middle East and the subcontinent.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 4:10 AM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
This is cherrypicking, obviously. You picked probably the 1% nicest neighborhood. I can find big mansions in Mississippi and Detroit.

I've spent time in Hayward, and it isn't a very nice place. Maybe "slum" is a stretch, but I bet it's undesirable even within context of the East Bay.
Hayward is a large city with really nice areas and not so nice areas. Not sure why you single it out?

Furthermore, the fastest growth is in the upscale suburbs in the tri valley area, inland---$1.5 million gets a nice house with excellent schools, extremely idyllic.

Asian Population 2017:
63.5% Norris Canyon, CA
44.0% San Ramon, CA
43.2% Camino Tassajara, CA
38 5% Dublin, CA
31.6% Pleasanton, CA
23.0% Shell Ridge, CA
21.1% Blackhawk, CA
10.2% Livermore, CA

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
race is a social construct bro

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Hayward is a large city with really nice areas and not so nice areas. Not sure why you single it out?

Furthermore, the fastest growth is in the upscale suburbs in the tri valley area, inland---$1.5 million gets a nice house with excellent schools, extremely idyllic.

Asian Population 2017:
63.5% Norris Canyon, CA
44.0% San Ramon, CA
43.2% Camino Tassajara, CA
38 5% Dublin, CA
31.6% Pleasanton, CA
23.0% Shell Ridge, CA
21.1% Blackhawk, CA
10.2% Livermore, CA

Some of those places mentioned are in Contra Costa which is still fairly White. Southern Alameda County is basically a bedroom community for the Silicon Valley.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
Southern Alameda County is basically a bedroom community for the Silicon Valley.
And, like I said above, it's going to be even more so once BART will take you from Hayward and places south all the way to Santa Clara.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions