HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
because it represents racism..
You shouldn't be painting people with such a broad brush... and if you aren't going to post pics of your car, you should have better things to do than try to take the thread off-topic.

But if you must, then know that one benefit of that bumper sticker is that it mitigates the foreign-ness of a Quebec license plate when driving around the southeast (which I do a lot).

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 2:48 AM

I don't have any specific pictures of my car (it's a mess right now, full of road salt and dirt). But I have an 05 Mazda3, very nice car. Affordable, non-problematic, nice interior

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 2:52 AM

wow 3 guys with a mazda ! I feel less alone ...

The main problem with mazdas is rust. They tend to be cheaper on the painting job...

Mine is a 2003 and I think I lost control on it now ...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 2:55 AM

I looked at what I had right now in stock on my photobucket account... most of my old car pics aren't on there, but there still are a few...

My 1969 383/4-spd Roadrunner...

My VW Bug...

My first VW Golf setup for running on WVO...

My flat black 1989 Mustang convertible (5.0/5-spd) somewhere in the southwest... probably in NM... a little general store that was totally in the middle of nowhere on the drive back from southern California to Sherbrooke.

(I'll have to look up US 62 and US 180 to see where that was... I'm curious now..)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 2:57 AM

You said from Southern CA. to Sherbrooke! ... Toute une trotte ! ... in how much time did you get there?

You're definitely a roadgeek just as me.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
You said from Southern CA. to Sherbrooke! ... Toute une trotte ! ... in how much time did you get there?

You're definitely a roadgeek just as me.
It took a few days because I stopped to see suppliers in TX and spent a couple days there... but normally it's something like ~3 days.

I did Vancouver-Sherbrooke nonstop once though (my sister was in the car, she drove for the few hours that I slept) in like 50 hours. We'd stop to get gas and get food that we'd then eat while driving...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 3:07 AM

Quote:
wow 3 guys with a mazda ! I feel less alone ...

The main problem with mazdas is rust. They tend to be cheaper on the painting job...

Mine is a 2003 and I think I lost control on it now ...
It's funny because until I actually bought my Mazda I never noticed anyone else with one. Since getting it I've noticed how popular they are.

Excellent cars though. The only problem I have with mine is there's a little bit of air in the brake line (not the cars fault really, just the mechanic).

Before that I had the worlds only problematic Corolla That thing was falling to pieces, finally decided to sell the thing to a recycling yard for 100 bucks.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
It took a few days because I stopped to see suppliers in TX and spent a couple days there... but normally it's something like ~3 days.

I did Vancouver-Sherbrooke nonstop once though (my sister was in the car, she drove for the few hours that I slept) in like 50 hours. We'd stop to get gas and get food that we'd then eat while driving...
Wow ! ... I wish I do that one day.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 3:11 AM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

There are so many Mazda 3's on the road.

Marty, what did you do with the DeLorean? Did the flux capacitor finally conk out?

Flickr®

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
There are so many Mazda 3's on the road.

Marty, what did you do with the DeLorean? Did the flux capacitor finally conk out?
Getting your hands on Plutonium is quite difficult in a post-9/11 world, needed something a little more economical.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Wow ! ... I wish I do that one day.
It's not really hard. All you have to do is hop in your car and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Getting your hands on Plutonium is quite difficult in a post-9/11 world, needed something a little more economical.
Who'll need plutonium? With the Mr. Fusion, any junk you can get your hands on will do. (And 2015 is right around the corner...)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 3:26 AM

Not a car, but I love her just the same:

(http://www.devinci.com/archive/2009/hybride/Oslo_EN.htm)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 4:25 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
FYI, it's probably going to be WAY cheaper (in total ownership costs) to get a car and a little trailer... that should be more than enough for your junk-hauling needs unless you actually want to do serious towing (which I suppose you don't).
Cheaper insurance for pick-ups, and no space to accommodate a trailer. I'd rather the trailer just be part of the vehicle itself.

Quote:
You shouldn't be painting people with such a broad brush...
In most places in Canada and the US, that flag is associated with hateful, violent people and a shameful past.

It's just a few steps away from having a swastika on there. You might be Buddhist, but most people are going to assume something else.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 6:04 AM
Beer me Captain

Well, at least the setting is urban

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 6:08 AM

Wow. Never seen that model before, is the the newest one?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 7:41 AM
Torontonian Refugee

My face when a car thread on SSP:

And not a single Dodge Caravan in sight! You guys have good taste in vehicles. I love that panoramic shot of Franks' Protege alone in the lot.

At the moment I drive a Saturn LW300. I literally NEVER see these on the road, Saturn L-series are hard to come by in the first place and then on top of that nobody has the V6. Plastic body panels are great for deterring errant shopping carts, and the automatic transmission is most cooperative unit I've ever driven. Lot of good times were had in this car, despite its somewhat staid image I love it dearly.

Old photo from a trip to a friend's cottage:

IMG_2287 by Wharn[cliffe], on Flickr

In Brent, Ontario:

IMG_2097 by Wharn[cliffe], on Flickr

In my townhouse complex:

20130208_135231 by Wharn[cliffe], on Flickr

I don't seem to have many urban shots. I'll have to fix that.

Being a rare car and an orphan brand makes finding parts a little problematic, though. I've resorted to raiding scrapyards. Unfortunately, other L-series owners do the same thing:

20121114_142548copy by Wharn[cliffe], on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
I never owned a car, as I hardly ever drive. I spend most of my time downtown, and take public transit to get there. If I were to buy a car, I would want something that had character. I would definitely buy used, as a depreciating asset like a car isn't really a great investment.
There are tons of older cars that just ooze character, in my opinion. The BMW E34 540i with the 4.0L V8 or the E34 M5 with the delicious inline-6 are 1990s classics. The problem is finding one that hasn't been "modified" by the BMW community. Other classy vehicles include the Mercedes-Benz W124/W126 (preferrably equipped with the OM617 diesel engine, which WILL outlast human civilization if properly maintained), more or less any RWD Volvo, and older Saabs (check the maintenance records carefully on those). If big and American floats your boat, what you want is a 1994-1996 Impala SS (the alarmingly thirsty V8 doesn't matter if you don't drive much). The Mercury Marauder (Grand Marquis on Steroids) is also a good bet. Americans can make a damn fine large car, too bad they sucked so bad at making compacts and mid-sizers.

Where is 240glt? I want to see that... 240 GLT.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 8:25 AM
the goggles do nothing

Not my picture but Google got it for me:

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 8:36 AM
Majestic

My first car was a 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Sierra SL, which was stolen when I was in University. I went without a car for about 7 years before getting this 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.

It was a purchase from family so the drastically lower price of the vehicle offset the much higher gas costs by a huge amount.

I really only use it to commute to my office (which is located in a suburban industrial park). I don't drive much otherwise and take the train when I need to get downtown.

Flickr

Last edited by Boris2k7; Mar 2, 2013 at 7:14 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Wow. Never seen that model before, is the the newest one?
Yep, the very last Dakota. (It got a MCE (new face and a couple other updates) for MY2008.)

Nice truck, BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
If big and American floats your boat, what you want is a 1994-1996 Impala SS (the alarmingly thirsty V8 doesn't matter if you don't drive much).
MTLskyline complains that a car is a poor investment (definitely true in general)... but a 1994-1996 Impala SS is one of the few that could actually turn out to be a good investment. (Or at least a really really decent one, compared to your average car.)

(I love the Marauder as well, but it definitely hasn't got the same kind of following -- and if you're looking at the "investment" POV, which understandably seems to be a pretty important factor to him, you're definitely safer with a bowtie badge on it than the discontinued waterfall.)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 5:12 PM
Mooderator

I've owned a 1980 mustang (crashed), 87 mustang(died), 97 jeep tj ( stolen), and a 2000 Focus.
(Traded in).

Now I have a 2006 Focus wagon and a 2012 Caravan. Damn kids.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada