HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 12:47 PM

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 3:57 PM

That pedestrian realm and little park west of Evo looks so suburban and depressing! Reminds me of a lot of the dead greenspace around BC Place or the park space with the stunted red pines around the Rogers Centre and Roundhouse.

Hopefully the street level of National Bank freshens things up.

I dont understand the desire to place little parks on huge roaring arterials, theyd be better off in more sheltered courtyards.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 5:59 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Ha, that’s funny, I had the complete opposite reaction when I saw that green space - I think it looks nice and feels good there. I could hang-out comfortably there and watch some construction.
To each their own I guess.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 3:59 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 1:18 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
That pedestrian realm and little park west of Evo looks so suburban and depressing! Reminds me of a lot of the dead greenspace around BC Place or the park space with the stunted red pines around the Rogers Centre and Roundhouse.

I dont understand the desire to place little parks on huge roaring arterials, theyd be better off in more sheltered courtyards.
It’s the tip of a huge park which is honestly quite nice. It replaced the elevated Bonaventure Expressway.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 4:31 PM
More transit please

Other Montreal projects on this list.

1 Square Phillips

by me

Maestria

by me

900 Saint-Jacques

by Alex514 on Agora Montréal

Victoria sur le Parc

by Archie on Agora Montréal

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 1:44 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post

Agree 100%. Kudos for them trying to make something out of nothing but it was doomed from the start. They were attempting to turn what is basically a highway meridian into a oasis people use for relaxation, peace, and quiet. It would have been wiser to get rid of the meridian and re-align the southbound lanes next to the northbound lanes. They could then have usable space on the west side of the road for buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
It’s the tip of a huge park which is honestly quite nice. It replaced the elevated Bonaventure Expressway.

You and I have vastly different ideas about 'nice'. Mont Royal is nice. Bryant Park is nice. I wouldn't want to spend 10 seconds in this space above. It's awful.

Last edited by isaidso; Apr 27, 2021 at 1:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 2:05 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
You and I have vastly different ideas about 'nice'. Mont Royal is nice. Bryant Park is nice. I wouldn't want to spend 10 seconds in this space above. It's awful.
I believe it’s easy for you to say that based on a picture when you’ve never spent a second in it. In a non-pandemic setting, it’s busy in peak times which means that people find it enjoyable enough to spend time in it. It has a killer view of the skyline (opposite angle of this photo).

Sure it’s not ideal given the location but as the trees grow it will get nicer.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Agree 100%. Kudos for them trying to make something out of nothing but it was doomed from the start. They were attempting to turn what is basically a highway meridian into a oasis people use for relaxation, peace, and quiet. It would have been wiser to get rid of the meridian and re-align the southbound lanes next to the northbound lanes. They could then have usable space on the west side of the road for buildings.

That's hilarious considering it has gotten International recognition and awards for urban design and has been used as an example of urban transformation for other cities. Plus when it's warm out, I always see people having picnics, working out, tanning, playing ping-pong or with their families. It's a great urban park and it once again shows how Montreal is ahead of other cities in N.A when it comes to this

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 2:20 PM

It's obviously not the city's best public space, but it's really not bad at all, considering the constraints it had to deal with in its inception.

It also has had the effect of spurring development on the adjacent parcels of land as, unsurprisingly, a new linear park is more attractive to live next to than an expressway.

Even the rail viaduct (right-side of the photo) has slowly opened spaces for retail.

It's a net plus for the area.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 2:26 PM

I can't comment on that park, but what's with the suburban strip mall of a Bureau en Gros to the immediate south? Complete with free surface parking! What are they holding out for?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 2:34 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeej View Post
It's obviously not the city's best public space, but it's really not bad at all, considering the constraints it had to deal with in its inception.

It also has had the effect of spurring development on the adjacent parcels of land as, unsurprisingly, a new linear park is more attractive to live next to than an expressway.

Even the rail viaduct (right-side of the photo) has slowly opened spaces for retail.

It's a net plus for the area.
+1. Well resumed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I can't comment on that park, but what's with the suburban strip mall of a Bureau en Gros to the immediate south? Complete with free surface parking! What are they holding out for?
With the real estate pressure Downtown it will be gone sooner than later.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 2:38 PM

Quote:

This replace an elevated expressway. It's brand new, with trees not grown yet. To call it awful it's just wrong.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 11:17 PM

It's gonna be a nice park once the trees will be mature enough to give a good shade.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 1:07 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Arrow Taken today

14. M City M2 - / Mississauga ON/ 61 Floors / / 201 meters
17. M City – M1 - / Mississauga ON / 197.8 m / 60 floors

For the sake of this thread...I'll post a few images of this project from today...the rest will be in it's own project thread.
Construction in Mississauga by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 4:48 PM

National Bank HQ - may 5th 2021

https://www.devisubox.com/dv/dv.php5...sRef=5CDAFEV9Y

Victoria sur le Parc (left), National Bank HQ (right) - may5th 2021

https://www.devisubox.com/dv/dv.php5...sRef=5CDAFEV9Y

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 7:55 PM
digital b0y

^ Thanks for the pics Martin Mtl ! Can't wait to see the final result.

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post

When I stay in Montreal for work/conferences I always run from my hotel downtown and this park is actually quite a nice way to connect the downtown area to Lachine/Griffintown. Much nicer running there than down the narrow streets with warehouses/construction sites nearby.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 11:25 PM
I am the law!

Awards are a dime a dozen. Just need to apply.

It doesn't look terrible. I appreciate the percentage of hard surface to soft surface. However, it suffers the same as many parks in this era. Design takes precedence over functionality. The meandering pathway design is cool but creates soft spaces that aren't of any use other than to walk past. Maybe a green park corridor between two busy streets would be served better with more hardscapes softened by colourful flower beds, water features surrounding patios with commercial activity than useless lawns and closely spaced saplings and light standards

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 3:53 PM

National Bank tower by Yabucoa77 on agoramtl.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada