HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 9:08 PM

Devon Energy (a company that most in OKC had no awareness of 7-8 years ago) has 1700 employees currently spread over downtown in 5 different buildings. This will consolidate them and allow for growth up to 3000 employees, which they expect to have by 2012 or soon after. They will be the sole tenant.

It includes a 10 story garage, meeting space, a six-story glass rotunda connecting it all, first-floor retail, and a park outside.

The rotunda is designed to fall right on the "Harvey Axis", a line that is being used as a focal point for redevelopment of a massive blighted area south of downtown. It will connect the OKC National Memorial to the Devon HQ, the Myriad Botanical Gardens, a new iconic central park, and the Oklahoma River on the south end.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 9:23 PM
Funkytown's finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
I want it!

That's really nice.
We NEED it.
Great for OKC (new 900+ footer and NBA franchise), bad for Ft. Worth (ehh.... not much)

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
Great point, I am very suprised that the developers in any city throughout Texas haven't pushed this far within the last few years. Oklahoma City appears to be showing some muscle and is in full swing to compete with the projects in every city throughout Texas...
Nah.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Nah.
Houston's been there, done that, 3 times over.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 3:30 AM

thanks to all who post the new stuff here. this is one of my favorite threads.

i really hope that cotton exchange never gets built!

it looks like shit
it will cast a shadow over the canal
it doesn't look right amongst the historic buildings of bricktown
and all that construction will ruin the BT atmosphere until its completed

i happen to like the grass nole between the canal and the road/ballpark. What cluter this cotton exchange will bring down there. build it elsewhere guys.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 9:09 AM

Wow @ the Devon tower! Congrats!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 5:10 AM
jmarkross

I remember 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by nschmoyer View Post
blog.newsok.com/okccentral

"No surprise, the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority just unanimously approved the Devon project."

When I was 20 years old, I worked at the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority, which was run by Robert White and Horace Huskerson in those days. I was the "office kid" who drove HUD documents to E. K. Gaylord, Mayor Patience Latting and others to be signed and shipped to Washington, D.C. We had just moved into newly renovated offices in the Colcord Building. Sometimes people forget I.M. Pei drew up the master plan for OKC's future, I remember manning our booth at the Oklahoma State Fair which had quite nice models of the proposed new downtown. Most of the locals scoffed that it would ever look like that. Well...39 years later it does...and this new Devon Building ushers in a whole new era. People forget we have only been around just over 100 years--and have done one HELL of a lot in that time. As an energy center, maybe it's "our day". We must never forget the hard work and VISION of the city fathers--many who are gone now--that have made all this possible. It is sad when you read disparaging remarks by Seattle folks (like we have an 'inferiority' complex--a bird-brained retort) because they did not have the foresight to keep their basketball team, which was their fault--not ours. Take the time someday to read and study what this state and her people have done in that century...it is very impressive indeed. We can survive it all...and as I mentioned before...maybe it is OUR DAY!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 3:20 AM

Actually, little of the Pei Plan came to fruition. The Myriad Gardens and a few minor office buildings. The proposed Galleria Mall was supposed to be on the site that will now be Devon's headquarters. The hotels were not built.

But the Myriad Gardens alone were a good product from that. We lost a lot of the historic downtown though, and so a lot of people look at the Pei Plan and 60's Urban Renewal very negatively.

Here's a newly approved project. This is the new pedestrian bridge over the new I-40 re-route south of downtown.

Designed by Hans Butzer, who designed the Oklahoma City Memorial.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 1:13 AM

More information continues to come out about the Devon Tower site. We now know the site will include an auditorium, retail space on the ground levels, a connecting structure to the neighboring boutique hotel the Colcord, and a fully public rotunda that will be the main entry to the entire facility.

Current Construction Timeline

Early 2009 - Parking facility construction begins
Spring/Summer 2009 - Site prep begins
November 2009 - Foundation complete
Late 2010 - Parking facility complete
Early 2013 - Full completion of site

-----

The site for the project is located on the surface parking lot adjacent and to the right of the large public greenspace at the center of this photo:

In an 93 page report that included all of the schematics, I only found one new rendering, which shows the curtain-wall parking garage and the tower in the background:

-------

Panel OKs Devon plan for building
BY STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: November 21, 2008

Inspired by the success of the New York Times’ new Manhattan headquarters, architects designing a world headquarters for Devon Energy are proposing to construct an auditorium at the corner of Hudson and Sheridan avenues.

The auditorium is one of several new details revealed Thursday as Devon Energy successfully presented its plans for approval by the Downtown Design Review Committee.

Weather considered
Architect John Pickard said designers have met challenges designing retail spaces along the ground floor of the "podium” building that will be just west of the 54-story tower and rotunda.

They want to open the spaces to the park, but also must contend with Oklahoma’s changing weather.

Their answer was to create rooms with French doors that could open up into the adjoining gardens and pavilions, designed to be open during fair weather and enclosed with glass during extreme conditions.

Pickard said the rotunda is designed to not just be a dramatic space — but a space that will be filled with people.

He said garage connections are designed to force all of Devon’s work force, as well as the public to enter through the rotunda.

Similar changes are being planned for the neighboring Colcord Hotel, which Devon bought in August.

‘Very urban thing’
Committee members praised the plans, but urged Devon Energy to consider adding a retail level on the first floor of a garage extension to face Hudson Avenue.

Member James Loftis noted the Devon project meets the city’s desires for urban architecture downtown compared with a "suburban” style building approved by the committee in September.

"This is a very urban thing — it goes far beyond anything I thought we’d see in our lifetimes,” Loftis said.

He also praised Devon Energy for placing the public rotunda instead of the tower in the center of the block.

"It’s phenomenal — I can’t wait,” member Richard Tanenbaum said.

"Why don’t you start construction now?”

------------

Devon plans auditorium at world headquarters
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record November 21, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – Devon Energy Corp. is tweaking and refining its plans for a world headquarters now set for completion in 2013.

Initial plans released by the company in March called for several structures on a piece of Urban Renewal land.

In August Larry Nichols, CEO of Devon, unveiled plans for a 54-story skyscraper, an additional 400,000-square-foot office building connected to the tower by a glass rotunda, and park space on the southwest side of the site.

One new addition presented to the Downtown Design Review Committee on Thursday included an auditorium nestled in the park space at the corner of Hudson and Sheridan avenues.

Jon Pickard, principal with the architecture firm Pickard Chilton, said the auditorium will be similar to the Times Center, a 378-seat auditorium built by the New York Times in Manhattan.

The Devon auditorium will likely seat about 250.

Pickard called the auditorium the “jewel of the park,” and said the company wants it to be available for community use.

“As we developed the design and we started to better analyze the needs of Devon for meeting facilities it seemed to be that an auditorium would help support the Devon corporate mission,” he said.

“It was always there as a thought, we just hadn’t developed it.”
Pickard said the auditorium is still a concept at this point and the exact size and cost have not been determined.

The second floor of the office building, dubbed The Podium, will also be a conference center.

Plans for parking were also discussed.

John Wood, vice president with Hines, and project officer for the Devon site, said plans are in the works for Devon to acquire the west side of the City Center Garage and add five floors exclusively for the company’s use.

Wood said the company would like to start work on expanding the garage upwards, and to the west toward Hudson Avenue, in the first quarter of 2009 and it should take 21 months to complete.

Plans for the tower call for demo work on the site beginning next year and the foundation for the tower could be in the ground by November.

The current timeline for the project calls for completion in early to mid-2013.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 5:09 AM

I'm glad Devon chose OKC for all this and not Houston or somewhere else... They are going to bring so much. Let's hope they continue to stay strong.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 4:43 PM

Maybe this will cause OKC-based Chesapeake Energy to build upwards downtown. Two energy companies, they have plenty of cash to work with on their own for sure.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 7:03 AM

That would be pretty cool, but Chesapeake has their own campus in Nichols Hills I believe. If they were to put up their own tower, just to say, it of course wouldn't be on this scale, maybe 400 feet or so. I'm hoping that Oklahoma and OKC lead the way for wind energy. Maybe we're the next home for the Wind giants? That would be cool. Or if Devon and Chesapeake started dipping their toes in it, that would be securing. But who knows?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 5:43 PM

Snapped some pictures of a few construction projects that I see on my occasional commute between Norman and North OKC.

Norman

Stephenson Research Building

Norman Hospital

OKC - Bricktown/Maywood Park/Deep Deuce

I-40

Lofts at Maywood Park (right behind these is where Leslie Way project will go)

Central Avenue Villas

Block 42 (completed)

The Hill - for some reason, they put 2-story buildings along the bigger/more major street, and toward the back of the project they've put the 3-story buildings.

OKC - Medical District

A recently released masterplan reveals constant construction over the next 20 years in this area, infilling the medical district with medical, research, and educational buildings plus significant mixed use/residential development. It's one of the least talked about but most active areas of inner OKC, kind of a second anchor of downtown.

Cancer Institute having some very impressive looking foundation work done. Huge hole.

OU Children's Physician Building - This one is really good looking.

My pictures of the Eye Institute expansion and Allied Health College projects didn't turn out, but both are progressing nicely.

OKC - Chesapeake

Things aren't really slowing down on the CHK campus.The area looks great.

And I'll leave you with a nice little view of the NW skyline at sunset (I like the water tower). This is a great hill near Chesapeake, with some empty lots- would be a lovely place for CHK's planned apartments/condos if they decide to put them here. Great views.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 4:22 PM

yeah its good to see all the cranes all around the city, but they are missing in the one place we need them the most, Downtown. hopefully the devon tower rising will spark developments much like austin. look at austin and indianapolis they have cranes all over their downtown, thats what we need!!! no more sprawling bring it in! starting moving up!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 7:00 PM

This thread is old and outdated. But oh well. Here are some updates.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 3:17 AM

That's a fantastic graphic presentation, Architect!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 6:51 AM

$18 million Aloft hotel planned for Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce

Read more: http://newsok.com/18-million-aloft-h...#ixzz0rHNi6C00

Old Posted Jun 26, 2010, 1:31 AM

Yes. Exciting. The area it is being built is also going through an intense gentrification. This hotel is only going to solidify it's progress. The hotel will have 3 restaurants, 2 being leases and the other being hotel-owned. There will also be 12,000 ad. ft. of retail space available. Excellent example of mixed use and urban design.

Here's an update on the Devon Tower which is now at a reduced height at 850' due to the company moving the Data Center from 4 floors of the tower to the nearby Will Rogers International Airport. This attributed to the loss of 4 floors to it's current destined height. The tower site has progessed rapidly. Construction to turn a nearby 5 story high city parking gargage into Devon's personal 10 story parking garage with fitness center is almost complete. Construction on the tower itself is at the fourth floor.

This the OKCtalk live webcame image of the tower. This image itself updates every minute and is courtesy of OKCtalk.com.

Oklahoma City Awarded 2014 Canoe Marathon World Championships

OKLAHOMA CITY – June 24, 2010 The International Canoe Federation (ICF) has announced it will award the 2014 Canoe Marathon World Championships to Oklahoma City, Okla. This will be the first World Championship event on the Oklahoma River and the first Canoe Marathon World Championship to be held in the USA.

“This event is a favorite with spectators in Europe since you can see the action right in front of you as the paddlers lap the race course and hop out to portage their boats,” said Oklahoma City Boathouse Foundation Executive Director Mike Knopp. “To have an event coming to Oklahoma City that will be hosted in Rome and Copenhagen in the years leading up to the Oklahoma River race truly underscores the remarkable success we are having with the development of the Oklahoma River. And, it’s exciting for us to be able to bring a race that’s so popular in Europe and introduce it to a new audience here in America.”

The event is awarded on a competitive process with cities around the world vying for it. It has been awarded to Rome, Italy, in 2012 and Copenhagen, Denmark in 2013.

Canoe Marathon is a flat-water long distance race that includes portions of the race where athletes carry or “portage” their kayaks over land. The race is 20 kilometers for men and 15 kilometers for women with athletes making several laps on a course to cover the distance. Canoe Marathon World Championships are held annually and attract athletes in the junior, under 23, senior and master categories. The 2014 event will take place Friday, September 26 through Sunday, September 28 on the Oklahoma River in downtown Oklahoma City.

"Hosting the ICF Canoe Marathon World Championship in Oklahoma City is a great honor,” said Shaun Caven, Oklahoma City National High Performance Center head canoe/kayak. “This will be the first time the event will be held in the USA, proving that the vision of the city leaders has correct – build it and they will come.”

Approximately 300 athletes will travel from around the world to Oklahoma City to compete at the event, bringing with them their coaches and families for the four-day event.

The Oklahoma City Boathouse Foundation submitted a bid on behalf of the city for the event in March of this year, with Knopp traveling to Budapest, Hungary in April to present the City’s bid to the ICF Board of Directors. Jorn Cronbereg, the Danish Chairman of the ICF Marathon Canoe Committee and ICF Official Rutgerus Pieter Heijselaar toured the Boathouse District venue and race course May 27-30, after which they recommended the ICF Marathon Committee award the 2014 event to Oklahoma City.

“We are thrilled that the Canoe Marathon Committee will get to experience the best paddle sports has to offer through Oklahoma City,” said Joe Jacobi, USA Canoe/Kayak executive director. “USA Canoe/Kayak always looks to Oklahoma City to raise the standard of competitive paddle sports. Now the international paddling community will get to experience why this city is our paddle sports capital of the USA.”

###

A PROJECT OF THE OKLAHOMA CITY BOATHOUSE FOUNDATION

Courtesy of SherryM of OKCtalk.com

The Oklahoma River and the Boathouse District are also home to numerous National Rowing Chamionships, Drag Race Championships, and Collegiate Rowing. Refer to post #135 for more information on the Boathouse District. For more information on the Boathosue District and the other boathouse under construction, please visit here. Boathouse District OKC. Below is the Masterplan Video and a June 24th update via pictures from respective site.

Video Link

Northern side of Devon Boathouse. Facing away from the Oklahoma River.

Inside the future Devon Boathouse.

Looking East down the Oklahoma River North Bank. Past the Devon Boathouse are the future sites of the University of Central Oklahoma Boathouse or CHK, and the future University of Oklahoma Boathouse. Future boathouses will likely follow this development pattern.

Immediately west of the Devon Boathouse will be the Finish Line Tower and also site the current Chesapeake Boathouse which is behind where this picture is taken.

Many other projects going on too in the inner city.

Last edited by Architect2010; Jun 27, 2010 at 8:00 AM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2010, 7:32 PM

Last edited by Architect2010; Jun 27, 2010 at 8:05 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 10:03 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations