HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1
Don't be hard on yourself. Even though it won't be outdoor, in a few years it will be there once again you will get that chance.

I very much look foward to that myself!
Thanks for being so hopeful

I had the chance, but not the choice. We stopped in the 2 WTC lobby for tickets, and everything else was scheduled. I loved observation decks though, 'cause we went to the ESB and it was amazing. The Twin Towers just blended in with the cityscape for me back then, so I don't remember them specifically (from the ESB)... and I've been back there 3 times to try to envision them the way I saw it in June 2001.

Haha, also... I met Gary Sinise the same singular day I went in the WTC. And saw Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick walking out of their theatre back in "The Producers"' heyday. It was a memorable day.

Anyway, I'm so glad they put the Freedom Tower obs deck at the same level. It gives us all another chance... a new chance.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 7:33 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoanofarc
Thanks for being so hopeful

Anyway, I'm so glad they put the Freedom Tower obs deck at the same level. It gives us all another chance... a new chance.
I'm just being honost, there's no being hopeful about it, hehehe...

Before we know it we'll all be posting observation photos and building photos of the new WTC here on the forum!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 2:18 PM
BANNED

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1
Don't be hard on yourself. Even though it won't be outdoor, in a few years it will be there once again you will get that chance.

I very much look foward to that myself!

Thank you.

Yes, it IS comforting to know that the obs deck in the Freedom Tower will be at the same height as the old Twins were!

And that it should be just as nice. And you can bet your bottom dollar that I WILL be there to visit this one!! I want to especially see what I missed before the Twins were destroyed.

Last edited by Daquan13; Sep 29, 2006 at 4:02 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13
I wish to God that I visited the obs deck long ago!!

Now I truly regret it!! It would have been a total experience - something to behold!!
Well, I also gathered up some pictures of the observation deck. Wanna see them as well? (I'll gather pics a bit later and post them).

The more interesting pics are the ones from the outdoor deck, especially since the FT won't have that. Yes, the new indoor deck will be nice and will give you an idea of what you missed of the WTC's indoor deck, but the outdoor deck was something to behold: wind in your face, NO wires or glass glare to block your views, a full 360 degree view (at the ESB deck, behind you is the building; at the outdoor deck on the WTC, behind you was blue sky).

Anyway, sorry, didn't mean to depress you (after others cheered you up ) I'm sure the pictures will help.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 7:37 PM

Maybe this thread should just be named Pics of Original WTC? And just post everything u guys got there?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Maybe this thread should just be named Pics of Original WTC? And just post everything u guys got there?
Yes, but there should be a rule: only "uncommon" pics of the original WTC are allowed (I realize that's quite subjective). What I mean is, we've all seen enough pics of the Twin Towers from the river, so those type of pics shouldn't be included. What we want here are closeup images of areas that most people haven't seen.

It'd be great if people had pics of the underground concourse, but I understand why there are so few pics of that (most people don't think of taking pics of an underground mall!)

Here are pics I'd be interested in seeing:

a) Underground concourse
b) Indoor observation deck, where the focus is more on the inside as opposed to the view outside
c) Outdoor deck
d) The surrounding streets of the WTC
e) Inside office floors (cubicles, etc.)
f) Any and all pics of the hotel (inside, closeup of outside)
g) Closeups of the lobby (although I believe these are rather common)

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 8:42 PM
JoeCooper

This new observation deck may also have some cool new features that the previous one didn't. There may be something to substitute for there not being an ouside observation deck, I don't know what, but there will probably be something pretty cool in addition to the very same views we are about to get back!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 3:52 AM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySkyline
Y
Here are pics I'd be interested in seeing:

e) Inside office floors (cubicles, etc.)
Obvious place to start for Windows on the World images.

I get chills sometimes looking at these interior pictures and thinking these are some of the places where a lot of people spent the last moments of their lives. Everything shown in them is gone.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 4:24 AM
JoeCooper

I know, it actually does make me think of all that now that also... I think the photo Album dated September 01, 2001, is really scary to look at because just knowing that not even 2 weeks after that was when 9/11 occured.

My memory of the Windows on the World from when I was little will be forever altered, whenever I see those pictures, it brings back the throught about what was going on in there after the plane hit and before the Tower collapsed and the horrors the 73 Windows on the World employee's were going through during their final minutes in that that very same room.

Last edited by CHAPINM1; Sep 21, 2006 at 4:32 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr
Obvious place to start for Windows on the World images.
That's an excellent link, thanks! Lots of good albums there.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 11:49 AM

Does someone have pics of underground mall? I didn't visit there, when I was on NYC trip.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 5:41 PM

Good one of the street area around the Marriott World Trade Center:

Last edited by cfrobel; Sep 22, 2006 at 4:27 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 12:05 AM

Some more Snappyroo pics, relinked to Flickr for higher reliability:

Nighttime Plaza

Better Plaza set-up shot, once again, 1 week before 9/11.

Zoom in of 1 WTC from Millenium Hilton. Best quality closest to 9/11 I've seen so far.

Standing closeup of 2 WTC, probably taken before it was time to wheel out the green-topped souvenir carts.

http://www.snappyroo.com/twins/images/

*EDIT* Also, I don't understand how the "1" and "2" signs (in front) sometimes appear glowing red, when they really look like this:

Do they illuminate somehow? Or have some kind of coating?

Compare with the last 2 pictures to see.

*EDIT 2* Okay, I'm beginning to figure this out. They have different designs, so they're 2 different posts. BUT, they appear in the same spot.

The "glowing-red" version's picture was taken 9-4-01, and "regular" was taken 6-4-01. Was it replaced with a more "hi-tech" glowing version within those months?

Last edited by mrjoanofarc; Sep 23, 2006 at 12:32 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 3:00 PM

yeah, that's the old sign. they were painted over within a couple days, right before 9/11. the red was like a matte finish and, from what i can remember, nothing was illuminated on it.

i think i remember the signs outside the plaza being different from the ones in those pictures though. i swear there were old signs that were larger and made out of reflective aluminum on the sidewalk. - can anyone confirm this?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 5:28 PM
Because I'm Clever!

^The sidewalk signs were taller than the plaza signs. And they were repainted in 1999, not "just before 9/11", when the plaza was repaved and the pink benches and planters were added

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
^The sidewalk signs were taller than the plaza signs. And they were repainted in 1999, not "just before 9/11", when the plaza was repaved and the pink benches and planters were added
i don't know about that. i didn't even start skating til 2000 and i definitely remember the sidewalk signs being changed after i was regularly hitting up the manny pads outside the plaza.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 8:19 PM

oh look, i guess i knew what i was talking about... 2001 photo of the plaza:

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 8:28 PM
Because I'm Clever!

^That photo was taken in 2000. Seems they were repainted in early 2001.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 8:41 PM

yeah, that's probably right

by the way, i love this photo:

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 8:58 PM
BANNED

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkMantle
yeah, that's probably right

by the way, i love this photo:

That IS a very dramatic photo!!

Looks like just the towers were there before stuff like the Marriott (formerly Vista) Hotel and 7 WTC were added.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture