HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 7:01 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I'm kinda glad they're only recreating the building as it was--just because I wonder how a taller building behind the facade could be gracefully integrated. I'm kind of excited to see a true reconstruction of a historical building that would otherwise be lost. We don't have many of those.

But one thing that is profoundly dumb is that the original tower on top of the mansard roof (as seen on the right in this pic) can't be rebuilt, because it now falls under view plane restrictions. I mean, come on--the tower was built in 1891, and in 2014 it's too tall? Quite ridiculous.
I don't want to be disagreeable, but this project by necessity is facadism. A better reconstruction (i.e new construction) would be to keep the original number of floors and a "true reconstruction" would be to restore the original floor layout. I am glad that they are at least keeping the Barrington Street facade and I think they deserve some credit for the way in which they added an extra floor (only one floor will intersect within a window-recess, as shown in this image posted by ns_kid - https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3845/...9de0e245_b.jpg, so it could have been much worse).

I would also like to have seen the original tower restored; it would have made an interesting loft for one of the apartments. Thanks for posting this image - http://www.historicplaces.ca/hpimage...7528_Large.jpg - 1800's architacture certainly had some interesting details.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 12:34 AM

Quote:
I'm kinda glad they're only recreating the building as it was--just because I wonder how a taller building behind the facade could be gracefully integrated. I'm kind of excited to see a true reconstruction of a historical building that would otherwise be lost. We don't have many of those.

But one thing that is profoundly dumb is that the original tower on top of the mansard roof (as seen on the right in this pic) can't be rebuilt, because it now falls under view plane restrictions. I mean, come on--the tower was built in 1891, and in 2014 it's too tall? Quite ridiculous.
Awh, that sucks. The tower makes it an entirely different building.

BRAIN TEASER / 'CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE' / THOUGHT EXPERIMENT OF THE DAY: the developers decide that they'd like to restore the tower on top of the NFB building, for the sake of heritage. But they know that it will directly impinge on the view plane.

Question: Would the Nova Scotia Heritage Trust support or oppose the tower's restoration?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 1:38 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
Awh, that sucks. The tower makes it an entirely different building.

BRAIN TEASER / 'CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE' / THOUGHT EXPERIMENT OF THE DAY: the developers decide that they'd like to restore the tower on top of the NFB building, for the sake of heritage. But they know that it will directly impinge on the view plane.

Question: Would the Nova Scotia Heritage Trust support or oppose the tower's restoration?
It is tough to predict but either way it would delay the development by many months, possibly years since it would require a municipal by-law amendment that would have to be approved by the provincial government (similar to the Fenwick Tower proposal that was 1 -2 feet within a view-plane, they chose instead to change the design).

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 3:35 AM

We are so blessed that GOD in the fullness of time, declared the view planes for Halifax. It would be silly that they cannot be changed or adjusted if they were decided by men.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 5:25 PM

I keep checking this site for activity whenever I'm nearby, and so far there doesn't appear to be any on-site action, but there are two "For Lease" signs now affixed to the facade. Which is a positive sign, I guess, but a bit funny, since it appears the blasted-ruin-looking facade is for lease.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 5:31 PM

Quote:
I keep checking this site for activity whenever I'm nearby, and so far there doesn't appear to be any on-site action, but there are two "For Lease" signs now affixed to the facade. Which is a positive sign, I guess, but a bit funny, since it appears the blasted-ruin-looking facade is for lease.
Hmmm... maybe to take advantage of film festival timing?

FOR LEASE - one bombed-out façade suitable for filming war-based themes...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 4:17 PM

Walked by at lunch today and there's finally on-site work happening here. The padlocked door was wide open and there were a bunch of guys inside filling wheelbarrows with trees and bushes that had grown inside.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Walked by at lunch today and there's finally on-site work happening here. The padlocked door was wide open and there were a bunch of guys inside filling wheelbarrows with trees and bushes that had grown inside.
Cripes. Now I expect an environmental group to come along demanding that the wild growth be saved.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 6:27 PM

Save the weeds

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 4:05 PM
armchairitect

weeds are being dug out today.
From http://hfxconstruction.tumblr.com/

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
Ziobrop, do you have any 'inside' shots?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Three guys, a wheelbarrow and a Dodge Ram. This one'll take a while.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 1:48 PM

looks like three giys, two wheelbarrows, and a garbage can; might not be so bad. :-)

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 4:10 PM

Why on earth aren't they removing the weeds with the other rubble, debris, remains. Don't they have to dig up the foundation anyways?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
Why on earth aren't they removing the weeds with the other rubble, debris, remains. Don't they have to dig up the foundation anyways?
Maybe the weeds have to be put in with organic waste.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 4:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I just think it's great something is happening here.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I just think it's great something is happening here.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
They are heritage weeds so they need to preserve them for infinity.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 8:04 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
They are heritage weeds so they need to preserve them for infinity.
There is no practical way to get equipment in, or more importantly material out other then by hand.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 8:59 PM

Quote:
There is no practical way to get equipment in, or more importantly material out other then by hand.
So they are going to remove everything by hand and build it one brick at a time by hand. This should be finished by 2320

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth