HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 11:13 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Tutorials: Using components for efficient building

First of all it's probably good to read some of these tutorials before starting, especially the Inferencing tutorial.
http://sketchup.google.com/training/..._with_gsu.html

1: Regular Residential Tower

Time: 15 min

Make a basic shape (such as a square but can be anything you want). This will be your basic floorplate

This example is a residential tower which will need balconies. Create them wherever you want.

Some internal structure is nice if you want to make the building look good. Here I’ve added a core and some columns. You could go further and add rooms and everything later if you want. This can be easily changed though as will be shown later

Raise the internal features, the amount you raise is the floor to ceiling height. Should be around 3m probably.

Now select the bottom floor. Click the move tool, press Ctrl+C and drag the copied floorplate up to create the ceiling. Then, use the push and pull tool to make the floorplate solid (I normally raise it by about 0.3m here but you can do what you like).

Next select the floorplate and internal structure (basically everything about the ground) and make it into a component (make sure you replace the existing stuff with the comoponent).

Next, move the balconies up to meet the ceiling and use the push and pull tool the same way as for the floorplate. NB, if you have a balcony somewhere else on the tower that looks the exact same then don’t raise the copy up. Example, in my tower each of the 4 sides are the same and there are 2 distinctly different balconies, one at the corner and one in the middle. Therefore only work with two balconies. Also make them into components.

Edit each balcony and add some railing or something.

Now make a new component and create some façade. Again, if the shape is the same on all sides only make one side.

Copy the façade and balconies

Rotate them around to fit all sides of the tower

Now select all the components and using the move tool and Ctrl+C create the next floor. What you can also do is before doing this nest all the components into one big one in order to make it easier to copy and paste and maybe make the lag a little less.

Now straight away type “*70” or any number you wish. And Voila! Look what you have!

Delete any unnecessary bits hanging off such as these balconies at the top of the building.

Now here’s the beauty of using components.
Edit the façade and colour it in the way you want it. You’ll find that the whole building has been edited. Another good thing about this method is that if you made a mistake and copied it all over the tower you can easily fix it just by editing one component.

Now also edit and colour in the balconies and the floorplates.

If you have kerkythea first go to “view->animation->add scene”. Then in the materials editor edit the names of all your glass by putting “TG_” at the start of each name. Also go to “window->shadow” and turn on “use sun for shading”

Final render using metropolis light transport as the rendering method.

2: Twisting Residential Tower

Time: 20 min

Go back to where you had one floor completely done. Make a vertical line somewhere, this is normally in the dead centre but it can be elsewhere too. This will be your axis of rotation. If you want it in the centre just make a diagonal line joining 2 corners and the midpoint is your point from where you will start to draw the vertical line.

Open the floorplate component and just select the floorplate (not the columns).

With that selected, click the rotate tool. Now place it on the centre axis and click once, then move the mouse out and click once more. Then move the mouse to the right or the left, the selected section will start to rotate. You will have to figure out how much rotation you need per floor, this is easy to work out. If you want say, 90 degrees rotation for the whole tower and you have 45 floors then you will have 2 degrees of rotation per floor. What you do is type in the number (such as 2) at this stage. Your rotation is done.

Now click on the balconies and rotate them the same amount. No need to open the components since you don’t need to distort them.

Now open the façade component and select only the very top of it.

Rotate it the same way as done for the floor plates.

Soften the extra edges that appear from the rotation.

Now you’ve done one complete floor. Make that floor a component if you wish and copy it above the 1st one. Then rotate it as usual.

Repeat this for a while until you have say, 10 floors ready.

Now to speed things up copy the whole lot and instead of rotating by 2 degrees rotate by 20! Within a few seconds you have the entire tower:

Render it in Kerkythea as before if you want.

3: Burj Al Alam Building
Using the scale tool to alter the building's shape.

Time: 2 hours

First thing to do is to make one complete floor as usual, of course the shape can be anything you like. Before working with it there should be no nested components this time, just one component for the floor.

We now start setting up the things needed for making the hourglass shape (you can make whatever shape you want. You’ll see this in a few steps). Start a line at the bottom of the tower. To know where exactly to begin it select the floor component and press “s”. This brings up the scaling tool. The place where you start the line should be as close as possible to the dots where you scale. Don’t know if this is explained well, ask if it’s not clear. Basically, places like on a line of symmetry are good.

Raise it on the blue axis to the full height of the tower.

Make a surface from this line. This surface will usually be perpendicular to the façade of the tower (unless you want something really weird of course )

Start a curve at the bottom of the tower.

End it at the top and make the curve go towards the centre of the tower. Now what I did here is specific only to this design. You can make the curve(s) go wherever you want, but they have to be in the plane already made.

Make a horizontal plane corresponding to the ground of the 2nd floor.

Copy this plane and raise it to the height of the next floor

Now type “*100” or whatever number you wish. Obviously if you want differing floor heights you can’t just type “*100”.

Delete the original line made

Intersect all those planes with the one going up

After intersecting delete the small planes and you should be left with the big tall one with a horizontal marking at every floor

Make a line the height of a floor a small bit (only a small big, important) away from the tower and copy *100. Alternatively you can just select on side of the big plane going up and copy and paste that.

OK, now we’re ready to actually start messing with the component.
Open the component and select only the floorplate. If you created the first floor as done in tutorials 1 and 2 then the floorplate has thickness too. Make sure to select the whole thing.

Now zoom in near where the curve is and press “s” to get the scale tool.

In the picture above there are 3 points. Choose the middle one. Now press and hold Ctrl+Shift and scale inwards so that the floorplate touches the curve. The Ctrl+Shift buttons means that the centrepoint for scaling is right in the middle and also that the scale is done uniformly (aside: beforehand you made those small little planes and intersected them, try using the scale tool to get the floorplate to touch the curve without having intersected. Can you do it? )

Now as an example my floor heights were 4.3m. At this stage check your floor height and you’ll see it has changed. You go WTF. Well, this happened because you scaled uniformly which means the scaling happened not only horizontally but vertically also.

Fortunately it can be fixed. Sorry about the next image, I took it after I was well into making the tower, hope it makes sense. With the floorplate selected, click the move tool. Then click on the top of the component and move the mouse in the direction of the blue axis. Once you’re moving on the blue axis press and hold Shift to lock the movement to that axis. Now while doing that move the mouse over to the line and find the point that corresponds to this floor and let go of the mouse. You’ll see it has moved upwards or downwards a little. Don’t know if this was explained well. The image should be pretty clear though. Ask if it doesn’t make sense.

You’ll see it’s back to the 4.3m height

Now we’ve completed one whole floor. Copy this floor and raise the copy on top of the original.

Now the bottom of this floor needs to match the top of the previous. What you do is click the (new) component and type “s” again. Click the middle point again and uniform scale the entire component to the right size by moving the mouse down to the top of the previous component.

Now the whole scaling process is repeated over and over until you have the whole tower. This pretty time consuming but after all the work I’m sure you’ll have a good model you can be proud and satisfied by . I don’t have renders of the full tower yet because I only got half of it done. Will finish it off some other day.

One thing I realised is the core changes shaped in the model. You can avoid this by making the core a separate component and adding it in at the end.

Anyway, here’s an image of half the tower.

Hope you understood this tutorial.

NB. If your floorplate is pretty simple like a square or a circle then all is fine. However if you have a more complicated floorplate you mightn’t be able to follow this method directly. The key is to have the curve on the points where you scale.

With this method or variations of it you can make a huge variety of structures that would normally be insanely difficult to do accurately.

Examples

This one can be done by applying the method above, then once it’s finished applying the twisting tower method as well

The top of the Chicago spire is done using a simpler version of this method. Essentially all you do is scale the entire component as opposed to just the floorplate.

Aqua can be done by applying the method only to the balconies. What you need to do is probably make loads of curves, all different. Then scale accordingly.

4: Creating Interesting Facades for Unconventional Towers

Coming soon

Last edited by malec; Jul 31, 2008 at 1:00 AM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 11:15 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Please tell me if these are any good and if they're not clear please tell me.

Also do people have any other ideas for tutorials?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 12:35 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

These are great. I'll add this to the Sketchup Thread.

Last edited by Aleks; Jul 30, 2008 at 12:32 AM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 1:33 PM

very good tutorial malec! eyerybody can understand it and thats how it should be in a tutorial.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 12:15 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Next one gets a bit more complicated but not much. I'll model the burj al alam and in doing so I'll explain how to warp the shape of the building while keeping it fluid.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 2:52 AM

Ya these tutorials are nice and easy to understand. i made the twisting tower and it came out awesome. thanks! cant wait for burj al alam

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 10:16 PM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Oh wow. I feel like an idiot. Believe it or not, I never knew any of that lol.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 1:05 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Finished the 3rd tutorial. This one will take a little more time to get to grips with. It also takes longer to make the tower anyway since you have to edit each floor. It might be better to make a 30 floor tower or something instead of 100 like the one I chose to do

I didn't get to finish the tower and make a good render but I should finish that at some point.

If people have questions then ask

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 2:13 AM

Wow, your renders are great. I probably could do something like that but it would take to much time.
Transportation. http://trinity-bay.myminicity.com/tra

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 3:55 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

These are awesome. I already added all this to the Sketchup Thread. I never thought about making a building in the shape of the Al Alam that way. I made the actual shape then intersected floors.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 10:24 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

^^ You can do it that way too but painting the facade at the end is a pain, especially if it's quite complicated, for example I have something like 60 windows on one floor. Multiply by 100 and that's 6000 times you have to click to get the tower painted!
Also with this way you are much more likely to get a very accurate model with no problems, unnecessary lines sticking out, other weird things you don't notice until late, etc. This is because you are using components that don't actually affect the rest of the tower when you move it (ie, it doesn't "stick").

As well with this way you can make towers where the basic shape is impossible to make by itsself. For example, this tower is possible. The way to do it is to make more than one curve and scale in each direction seperately as opposed to uniform scaling. The top is the only part that needs to be drawn seperately.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 9:13 AM
Desert Dweller

Okay um, WOW. You are just a Sketchup god, you got any intresting tips for lazy people like me who use textures?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 1:05 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Okay um, WOW. You are just a Sketchup god, you got any intresting tips for lazy people like me who use textures?
Maybe you can tell us some stuff about textures.

Finally I finished the burj al alam, here's the completed render.

There are more on the way but I'll post them the other thread since they're not part of the tutorial

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 6:36 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Woahh. Great rendering. I love your models. Thanks for the tips. I'm glad you like to share your secret. Hopefully more people will start posting cities because of this.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 1:09 AM
Squint Like Clint

Great tutorial, this has really helped me a lot! However I'm having a problem with one of the steps and have a question. In section 1 under the basic tower where it says "Delete any unnecessary bits hanging off such as these balconies at the top of the building" When I try to delete the left over baclonies on the roof it deletes all balconies in that row all the way down the building no matter how I try to edit it. All I want to do is get the extra ones off the roof. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 2:11 AM

if i understand what your saying, i think you just need to explode the extra balconies (wherever they are), then edit them. otherwise, when you select a component it will edit all the balconies identically.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 3:49 AM
Squint Like Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by treras93 View Post
if i understand what your saying, i think you just need to explode the extra balconies (wherever they are), then edit them. otherwise, when you select a component it will edit all the balconies identically.
What do you mean by "explode" and how do I do that?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 4:11 AM

oh, explode is when you change a component back in to a object (what it was before you made it into a component. select the component(s) you want to explode>right click>explode.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 4:53 PM
Squint Like Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by treras93 View Post
oh, explode is when you change a component back in to a object (what it was before you made it into a component. select the component(s) you want to explode>right click>explode.
Thanks, that fixed my problem! I now know what I was doing wrong. After I created the 1st floor I then made the entire floor to be copied all one component before creating an array. From your tip above, I exploding just the top floor and was able to make the changes I needed which works out well since I will be adding a roof accent feature seperate from the rest of the tower so you helped me solve two problems! Thanks again for your help.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup