HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Monorails are Exhibit A, well maybe Exhibit B after Hyperloop, of our societies "always pregnant with the future" mentality.
Tell that to the 800,000 passengers a day that ride the Chongqing monorail or the 250,000 who ride the Sao Paulo system to say nothing of the systems in Japan, SK, and new systems being built in Cairo and Bangkok.

LA could only dream about such ridership levels.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 8:02 PM
cities|transit|croissants

95% of the time, monorails are the wrong technology for a transit corridor. 95% of the time, monorail backers are armchair planners with no real idea what they're talking about.

But 5% of the time monorails are legitimately correct, and even a broken clock is right twice a day. Automatically trotting out the Simpsons every time a monorail is mentioned is every bit as much an armchair-no-real-idea move as assuming monorails are right without thinking critically.

Monorails are nothing but a tool. Not magically good, not magically bad. Use them when they're the right tool.

Last edited by Cirrus; Mar 11, 2021 at 8:17 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 8:31 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
95% of the time, monorails are the wrong technology for a transit corridor. 95% of the time, monorail backers are armchair planners with no real idea what they're talking about.

But 5% of the time monorails are legitimately correct, and even a broken clock is right twice a day. Automatically trotting out the Simpsons every time a monorail is mentioned is every bit as much an armchair-no-real-idea move as assuming monorails are right without thinking critically.

Monorails are nothing but a tool. Not magically good, not magically bad. Use them when they're the right tool.

they're the right tool at the airport, world's fair and amusement parks. and in shelbyville. and people movers are their red headed step sisters.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 1:57 PM
TL;DR

Miami is basically an amusement park, so that fits!

No, the monorail proposal is awful so long as it's not connected to MetroRail/Tri-Rail/Brightline (and fare integrated). A line from Biscayne Blvd to the inland side of South Beach is useless, regardless of what technology they use.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 3:24 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

joking aside, i do think this is perhaps the right line for a new monorail if anywhere and yes as long as its integrated on the miami side.

i mean it would be wonderful for us tourists, but i just don't really see the utility of it for locals. maybe i am missing something there? i dk. mostly to make getting back and forth to work in the miami beach tourism biz easier i guess. is all that enough? maybe it is. should it turn and run north up the inter-coastal over there a ways as well?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation