HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 6:54 PM

PHILADELPHIA | Penn's Landing Redevelopment | 703 - 175 FT | 57 - 12 FLOORS

Title: Penn's Landing Redevelopment
Project: Residential, hotel, office, retail, commercial
Architect: Pelli Clark Pelli, Bjarke Ingels Group, and Hargreaves Jones
Developer: Durst Organization
Location: Penn's Landing between Market and Chestnut Streets, Columbus Blvd. to the river, and parking lots between Spruce Street and Lombard Street on the river
Neighborhood: Penn's Landing
District: Center City
Floors: 57, 46, 36, 30, 23, 20, 16, 16, 12 & 12
Height: 703, 567, 445, 370, 283, 250, 197, 197, 175 & 175 FT

Potential for 10 total towers, 12 buildings in total. Two of the proposed buildings will be under 12 floors, and under 150 feet tall. Estimated heights for each tower:

703 FT - 57 FLOORS - Market Street Tower 1
567 FT - 46 FLOORS - Market Street Tower 2
445 FT - 36 FLOORS - Market Street Tower 3
370 FT - 30 FLOORS - Market Street Tower 4
283 FT - 23 FLOORS - Market Street Tower 5
250 FT - 20 FLOORS - Market Street Tower 6
197 FT - 16 FLOORS - Marina Tower 1
197 FT - 16 FLOORS - Marina Tower 2
175 FT - 12 FLOORS - Marina Tower 3
175 FT - 12 FLOORS - Marina Tower 4
Under 150 FT - Under 12 FLOORS - Marina Tower 5
Under 150 FT - Under 12 FLOORS - Marina Tower 6

76ers rejected: N.Y. developer Durst selected for Penn’s Landing site

Quote:
The Delaware River Waterfront Corporation has selected the Durst Organization to execute a $2.2 billion redevelopment of two prominent parcels along Old City’s riparian shore — effectively ending a competing bid by the Philadelphia 76ers to construct a new arena on the site.

The selection will set in motion an eight-year redevelopment process which will also integrate a new cap over I-95 which will feature a public park. Durst, a $10 billion international real estate firm, proposed replacing two adjoining parking areas with some 3.3 million square feet of new development, including over 2,300 residential units, a 225-bed hotel, over 120,000 square feet of retail, 850 parking spots and thousands of square feet of new public space.

Company representatives hailed the selection.

“We are honored DRWC has selected us for this transformative project that will provide Philadelphians’ extraordinary access to the waterfront,” said Jonathan Durst, President of The Durst Organization. “We look forward to working with community members, elected officials and stakeholders to finalize a design that fulfills the vision of the Master Plan for the Central Delaware.”

The plan promises an economic impact of 28,000 construction jobs, and $2.2 billion in wages over the life of the plan. All four developers emphasized onsite investment. DRWC Finance committee chair Jay Goldstein asserted the Durst plan would include between $770 million and $1.1 billion in impact with “minority or women-based enterprises,” and the company said it would seek a “20% minority-owned equity partner.”
Read more here:
https://whyy.org/articles/76ers-reje...92XGmNsOJ_EHQY

Last edited by summersm343; Sep 10, 2020 at 4:00 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 7:27 PM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 8:20 PM

Somehow, someway - even though they don't have any jurisdiction here, but they're close enough - the Society Hill Neighbors are going to crush any height on this project... and all of our dreams.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 8:31 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Looks fantastic

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 8:57 PM

New York’s Durst selected to develop Penn’s Landing, over 76ers arena proposal

Quote:
The Durst Organization of New York has been selected to redevelop Penn’s Landing, likely ending efforts by the 76ers to build themselves a new basketball arena there.

The board of the Delaware River Waterfront Corp., the agency that oversees development along central Philadelphia’s Delaware River waterfront, voted at a meeting Wednesday to choose the Durst group as the site’s developer.

The proposal calls for a row of six high-rise buildings among grassy plazas between Market and Chestnut Streets, north of a planned park that would cap I-95.

The buildings would house about 1,800 apartment or condo units, 225 hotel rooms and 94,000 square feet of space for DRWC offices, a supermarket a preschool and other commercial uses.

The proposal also calls for six shorter towers with about 550 residential units and 26,500 square feet of commercial space to the south between Spruce and Lombard Streets.
Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/business/pe...-20200909.html

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 8:59 PM

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:38 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

I rather like Durst's treatment of the Spruce Street site. It looks really good!

I'm not really sold on the amount of green space they're proposing at the Market Street site, but I like how they're orienting the whole thing around what they're calling "Penns Landing Road". The site plan looks really good in general, and I like Durst's aggressive timeline.

I am still worried they control too much waterfront land now -- Durst now has development rights on every development parcel along Delaware Avenue from Callowhill to Lombard -- but the combination between long-term vision and detailed site plan suggests they have thought this thing out.

Since I don't think the Market Street site will be conveyable until after cap park work is done, I want to see Durst realize either their Callowhill or Spruce street sites in the meantime. Doing at least one or the other will earn a vote of confidence from me.

Oh yes -- Hargreaves is the Market Street site's landscape architects. This should yield a coherent flow of greenspace between the cap park and Market Street site (as the same landscape architects will be responsible for both).

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 4:01 AM

DRWC ANNOUNCES SELECTION OF DEVELOPER FOR PENN'S LANDING

Read more here:
https://www.delawareriverwaterfront....penn-s-landing

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:55 PM

This proposal has so much history; so many projects were planned for this site over the years and this seems to be the best; so much promise. I'm really happy this morning because I think this can really take place and Penn's Landing will finally reach what it was intended to be.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 2:37 PM

Not sure how accurate the renderings are but does anyone know If the moshulu and Olympia are staying?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhattersLT View Post
Not sure how accurate the renderings are but does anyone know If the moshulu and Olympia are staying?
Yes, they’re both staying.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 5:34 PM
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Yes, they’re both staying.
What's the plan for the Seaport Museum?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwp View Post
What's the plan for the Seaport Museum?
Keep it there and renovate/rehab the building.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 8:14 PM

DRWC Selects Durst Organization to Redevelop Penn’s Landing

Quote:
Today, at a meeting of the Delaware River Waterfront Corporation Board of Directors, the board unanimously endorsed the Selection Committee’s recommendation of the project proposed by the Durst Organization.

The project will be massive in scale, covering a total of 3.5M sqft and requiring an investment of approximately $2.2B. Most of this will be centered on the larger Market Street parcel, with plans for six buildings ranging in height from 372′ to 703′. These buildings will include 1,834 residential units, 225 hotel rooms, 94K sqft of retail space, and 690 parking spaces. The retail mix will include office space for the DRWC, a gym, a preschool, and a supermarket. Pelli Clark Pelli will be the architect for this site, with Hargreaves Jones as the landscape architects.

The Marina site will cover 660,000 sqft of development over 6 buildings ranging in height from 60′ to 240′. In these buildings, we’ll see 556 residential units, 26,500 sqft of retail space, 167 parking spaces, and a 20,000 sqft public space in the middle of the site. Bjarke Ingels Group will do the architecture here.

The selection of the Durst Organization as the developer for these sites is just the first step in an incredibly long journey for the waterfront. As a next step, DRWC and Durst will have to formally negotiate and paper this relationship, after which the community and other stakeholders will be brought into the process as the plans are fleshed out. Ultimately, the project is anticipated to progress in four phases over 9 years, so don’t look for all of these buildings to appear overnight, but expect slow and steady progress between now and 2030. As things unfold, we’ll be excited to watch patiently as this critical section of the waterfront undergoes a total transformation.
Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...-penns-landing

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 8:14 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Keep it there and renovate/rehab the building.
they should REALLY think about taking a page out of the Sixers’ proposal and redevelop the museum spot too. It’s just a giant cinderblock in the midst of so much activity...and that’s even before any of this future development.

also, they should steal the water taxi idea from the other proposal, too

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 2:34 AM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
I rather like Durst's treatment of the Spruce Street site. It looks really good!

I'm not really sold on the amount of green space they're proposing at the Market Street site, but I like how they're orienting the whole thing around what they're calling "Penns Landing Road". The site plan looks really good in general, and I like Durst's aggressive timeline.

I am still worried they control too much waterfront land now -- Durst now has development rights on every development parcel along Delaware Avenue from Callowhill to Lombard -- but the combination between long-term vision and detailed site plan suggests they have thought this thing out.

Since I don't think the Market Street site will be conveyable until after cap park work is done, I want to see Durst realize either their Callowhill or Spruce street sites in the meantime. Doing at least one or the other will earn a vote of confidence from me.

Oh yes -- Hargreaves is the Market Street site's landscape architects. This should yield a coherent flow of greenspace between the cap park and Market Street site (as the same landscape architects will be responsible for both).
I LOVE THE SCALE!
TOWERS! I hope they DON'T get scaled down.
Only concern is the connections between upper level and lower level waterfront. All and all a pretty well thought out plan. I think there is enough parkland as long as the waterfront promenade is wide and landscaped, even where it heads west to Columbus Blvd ("Delaware River Boulevard") on the north side of plan.

Frank Gehry is replacing Museum!
(Just kidding )
A tower above/instead of Hilton Parking Lot facing Walnut!

Last edited by SEFTA; Sep 11, 2020 at 2:56 AM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 2:51 AM

Why rejecting the Sixers’ arena is a grownup moment for Philadelphia

Quote:
For some, the images that accompany the Durst proposal may recall earlier plans for Penn’s Landing. The renderings produced by its three architects — Pelli Clarke Pelli, Bjarke Ingels Group, and Hargreaves Jones — show a parade of 12 shimmering towers arrayed along the Delaware, starting with a 703-foot flagship skyscraper at Market, and stepping down to a troupe of six mid-rise buildings clustered on the south side of Spruce Harbor Park. Durst’s proposal calls for 2,400 apartments and a 225-room hotel to be constructed over nine years. That’s a huge amount of density when it’s not clear how COVID-19 will disrupt Philadelphia’s recent economic revival.

Still, all the thought and money that got us to this point don’t necessarily guarantee that the Durst plan will succeed. The DRWC must now negotiate a formal contract with the company. It needs to include clear performance benchmarks, as well as meaningful penalties for failing to meet them.

In an interview, Douglas Durst, the company’s patriarch, told me that it will be several years before the company puts a shovel in the marshy Penn’s Landing ground. We don’t know when the economy will bounce back from COVID-19, he said, and “no one wants to start building in a recession.”

But while it may take time, he promises the full proposal will eventually be realized. The Durst Organization, he said, “has been around 105 years. We’ve seen times when things were very bad. They always come back, so we’re confident.” Unlike the other three applicants, Durst is a developer that retains ownership of all its buildings after completion, rather than selling them to apartment management companies. Companies that “hold” their buildings, to use the real estate phrase, tend to have longer timelines and invest more in quality architecture.

The first part of the Durst project to be built will be its least glamorous element. Because of climate change and the flooding it will cause on the Delaware, Durst will have to construct a two-story platform on the northern portion of the site, between Market and the new park. Since the Penn’s Landing esplanade is over 30 feet below the level of Front Street, the platform will also help to make Durst’s towers feel connected to Center City. The platform will also ensure that the entrances to the towers are at the same level as the park.

The current architect for the six northern buildings, Pelli Clarke Pelli, is the same firm that created the lineup of blue-glass towers on the Schuylkill. While all are pretty good designs, there is reason to be concerned that the architects will repeat themselves on the Delaware, making Penn’s Landing feel generic. Glass facades are also deadly for the birds that migrate along our rivers. Durst told me that the buildings shown in the renderings are a long way from being real designs and that no decision has been made yet on the facades.

What has already been determined is the layout of the buildings and pathways that run through them. A pedestrian-friendly public street called Penn’s Landing Road will divide the northern parcel in half. Durst expects to start work first on the three towers closest to Columbus Boulevard. All the parking will be tucked below the platform, so that the surface at Penn’s Landing will be largely car-free. Durst’s plan includes space for restaurants, a supermarket, and even a preschool at the platform level of the towers.

Depending on the strength of the market, Durst said, the company may start construction on the mid-rises at the same time it is building the first three towers.
Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/columnists/...-20200910.html

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 3:19 AM
Philly Pholly

I really love this project.
I believe it to be in good hands with Pelli. They have an attention to detail.
A 700fter on the waterfront would be crazy good.
A new park and landscaped waterfront promenade.
This will be a bustling area full of residents and tourists.
Imagine if all these proposals were to be built! (in red)

Penn's Landing Redevelopment -Durst Organization -Pelli Clark Pelli, Bjarke Ingels Group, and Hargreaves Jones 9-11-20 c

Penn's Landing Redevelopment -Durst Organization -Pelli Clark Pelli, Bjarke Ingels Group, and Hargreaves Jones 9-11-20 b

Penn's Landing Redevelopment -Durst Organization -Pelli Clark Pelli, Bjarke Ingels Group, and Hargreaves Jones 9-11-20

Penn's Landing Redevelopment -Durst Organization -Pelli Clark Pelli, Bjarke Ingels Group, and Hargreaves Jones 9-11-20 d

Last edited by SEFTA; Sep 12, 2020 at 5:23 AM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 5:02 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

I have now deleted multiple posts for city vs. city trolling. I have given out two warnings.

IF YOU MENTION ANY CITY OTHER THAN PHILADELPHIA IN THIS THREAD YOU WILL BE SUSPENDED ON THE SPOT. Got it???

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 6:15 PM

This project looks awesome! The amount of greenspace and pedestrian access is something i love to see. Build it please!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals