HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 12:54 AM

American Stores Tower/Wells Fargo

Future Mayor:

If I remember my history correctly, American Stores was already headquartered in SLC before they built their tower. The founder of American Stores was Sam Skaggs, who's father began with a small store on 3rd W. and about 5th No. I believe it was Comrade who wrote earlier, the original location for the AS Tower was going to be WVC, until SLC made them a better offer. For years, AS was headquarted in the International Center, just west of SLC Int.

Sam was a character, and the family continues to be very influential in SLC.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 1:16 AM

What Boeing Reported in the Press

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyiliang View Post
Future Mayor presents a lot of good points. But from my experience in the corporate world, most major corporations, incentives and tax breaks are the main reasons why companies will relocate. Take Boeing for example. They had it good in Seattle, but once their tax breaks were up, they went looking for a new city. Seattle offered some new ones but Chicago gave Boeing what they wanted. Although your view of a CEO moving a company because he/she wants to, I think this can be misleading. Some CEO’s might be able to do this but not the majority of them can because they have to answer to the board of directors and shareholders. And if they don’t agree with what the CEO has proposed to them, then they wont let the move happen. Just my 2 cents…
Anyiliang: When Boeing made the move from Seattle to Chicago, they reported in the press that they were making the move to be closer to financial markets. Of course, a corp. staff, even for a company the size of Boeing, is not large, probably a few hundred. I still think for service companies, like the IT side of Boeing, the primary consideration is the ability to attract and hold employees. I know when SAP established their US headquarters, just west of Philly, the primary considerations were access to an international airport, inexpensive land, and an area where engineers, lots of engineers, would live. I do know, however, when CIBER Systems, a pretty good sized IT services company (over $1B in revenue) relocated from Detroit to Denver, the primary reason was because the CEO wanted to be closer to skiing. The same was true in the late 80's, when Ziff-Davis (the publishing giant) was considering moving to Sandy. The boss loved Snowbird. They backed out of the deal, however. Rumor was that many of their key people did not want to relocate from Boston to Sandy.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 3:07 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

I stand corrected on the American Stores headquarters. I know there was something involving one of the high executive in the company that moved to UT when the tower was finished. The restaurant that was on the second floor of the building when it was built was originally located in Philly and when that particular executive moved to SLC, he was the restaurants best customer and the owner decided to move along with the executive.

I am figuring that they must have had the headquarters in SLC and continued to have some operations in Philly until the tower was built and the must have consolidated. I guess I was assuming that this particular executive moved when the entire company relocated but I was mistaken.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 6:16 AM
Bring out the cranes...

That would of been crazy and stupid if the 24 story AS Tower ( Wells Fargo ) would of been built in WV.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 1:38 PM

Quick housing market recovery predicted for Wasatch Front.

Downturn 'in many ways good'

http://davisclipper.com/default.asp?...rtoday&he=.com

He cited an article in the May issue of “Professional Builder” that highlighted the Salt Lake City area, and four other markets, as among those it believes “will come back fast.”

“Our (overall) inventory is relatively new. We have a little extra, but not as much,” Wilson said. “We have one of the strongest economies.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 4:10 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Yup Utah pretty much kicks @$$ (butt!)

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 5:06 PM

Here's that article from Professional Builder

By Susan Bady, Senior Editor, Design, Professional Builder

Population Explosion - Salt Lake City

Salt Lake City is in a housing slump right now. "But when the light turns green, there's going to be squealing of tires," predicts Curtis Dowdle, executive officer with the Salt Lake Home Builders Association.

Brad Wilson of Destination Homes thinks Salt Lake City will rebound in early 2009. "We have a very strong economy and one of the lowest unemployment rates in the United States," says Wilson. "A lot of companies are relocating here. For the long term, we're bullish."

Salt Lake City trails the national market by 12 to 18 months and didn't begin to experience a slowdown until 2007, says Eric Allen, director of the Utah/Idaho division of MetroStudy, a housing research firm. However, he thinks prospects for a quick recovery are good. "Our housing inventory has always been very low," says Allen. "We're not a spec market."

Salt Lake City's construction sector accounts for approximately 25 percent of its job growth. Commercial construction is at a record level and absorbed many workers who were sidelined by the residential slowdown. Other job sectors, including business services and education services, are also healthy, says Allen: "We're creating 40,000 jobs a year just in the greater Salt Lake market."

Single-family attached housing has picked up in the last few years because it's more affordable than detached — under $220,000, says Allen. Some of that product is being built downtown, where redevelopment projects continue at a steady pace.

Allen forecasts approximately 7,000 single-family starts in 2008. They'll slowly begin to increase in early 2009.

Utah's birth rate is almost double the national average, so there are many large families. According to a University of Utah study, 30,000 new households will be created in 2008. Yet the fastest-growing demographic in the Wasatch Front (the three-county area in which most of the city's population resides) is 60- to 69-year-olds. "We have a kind of mecca mentality," says Dowdle. "Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints like to retire in Salt Lake City after living and working elsewhere."

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 3:50 AM

This just irritates me...... but I cant help but laughing at it...

http://sandy.utah.gov/fileadmin/down...grams_6-08.pdf

Ok lets pull every parking spot within 5 miles, even though we dont even own it. What a freakn joke.... shoulda seen that one coming a mile away.....idiots.

btw, anyone been keeping tabs on the attendance of the games lately.... The RSL are having a decent season...and attendance has been rather low, they are doing well overall in the league as far as attendance goes, but as far as filling up a stadium lacking big time... And I'm not talking at Rice Eccles that seats a crap load. I am talking about filling their new stadium..

Last edited by Viperlord; Jun 24, 2008 at 4:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 4:03 AM

btw, the bidding for a 6 story selecthealth building in murray on the west side of the freeway at 54th in that "towers complex" went out for bidding today. looks very similar to the current tower on site.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 4:11 AM

I told myself I would not post anything on development in Sandy anymore, but I guess I can repent later tonight...Forgive me father for I have sinned.

found these posted back in April on the site below.

http://prosceniumutah.wordpress.com/

way large scale...

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 4:16 AM

Your right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I stand corrected on the American Stores headquarters. I know there was something involving one of the high executive in the company that moved to UT when the tower was finished. The restaurant that was on the second floor of the building when it was built was originally located in Philly and when that particular executive moved to SLC, he was the restaurants best customer and the owner decided to move along with the executive.

I am figuring that they must have had the headquarters in SLC and continued to have some operations in Philly until the tower was built and the must have consolidated. I guess I was assuming that this particular executive moved when the entire company relocated but I was mistaken.
Future Mayor: You're right. The restaurant was called Il San Savio, after the owners home town in Italy. It was wonderful. I was distraught when it closed. By the way, the executive in question was Sam Skaggs.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 6:11 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Thanks for that new rendering Viper. Is it me or do these towers in that new rendering look like they got downsize a few floors. They don't seem to be at 30-stories any more. :{

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 11:24 AM

Stadium nears completion - Construction crews are praised for quick work

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...237428,00.html

Alan, left, and Adam Jones, the first season ticket holders for the new stadium, check out the view from their front-row midline seats with Leo the Lion. (Kristin Murphy, Deseret News)

Crews have done extraordinary work to get the stadium ready to go within about 18 months, Rindlisbacher said. Last summer, temperatures on the work site reached 130 degrees, when the hot sun reflected off fresh concrete. Conversely, over the hard winter, men had to use propane torches to melt ice off the stairs.

Audio slideshow

http://www.deseretnews.com/photo/sli...7,5077,00.html

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 1:29 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
This just irritates me...... but I cant help but laughing at it...

http://sandy.utah.gov/fileadmin/down...grams_6-08.pdf

Ok lets pull every parking spot within 5 miles, even though we dont even own it. What a freakn joke.... shoulda seen that one coming a mile away.....idiots.
In defense of the parking plan that seems to be how it works with professional sports arena's and stadiums that are built in somewhat developed areas. To create a slighly more dense development they need to rely on nearby parking. I'm pretty sure the Delta Center had to do a similar analysis when it was built, showing that there were enough available parking spots for the anticipated crowd, non of which were owned by them. The E-Cetner is a different story, it was built on an empty field. If RSL had provided enough parking that they owned then everyone would be complaining that they were a bunch of idiot beause they surrounded the new stadium with a sea of parking lots.

RSL Stadium is in Sandy, we need to move on and accept it.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 4:23 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post

RSL Stadium is in Sandy, we need to move on and accept it.

Agreed.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 6:29 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFPCME View Post
Future Mayor:

If I remember my history correctly, American Stores was already headquartered in SLC before they built their tower. The founder of American Stores was Sam Skaggs, who's father began with a small store on 3rd W. and about 5th No. I believe it was Comrade who wrote earlier, the original location for the AS Tower was going to be WVC, until SLC made them a better offer. For years, AS was headquarted in the International Center, just west of SLC Int.

Sam was a character, and the family continues to be very influential in SLC.
I am not an expert at the history of the stores, but at some point the stores owned by Skaggs and the Alpha Beta chain merged (My father worked for Skaggs Alpha Beta in the International Center), which was later bought out by American Stores (when my Dad's job ended and the company moved out), at which point AT&T Universal Card moved into the building.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 6:43 PM
Bring out the cranes...

30 story towers down to 25 story towers?

Downsizing already?

Looking at this rendering more it looks like the tower in the middle will be office space and the other towers on the side look more like housing units.

The first tower on the far left looks to be around 24-25 stories
The middle tower in the rendering looks to be the tallest at around 26-28 stories
The far right towers looks to be the shortest at around 20-21 stories.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 6:47 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Downsizing already?

Looking at this rendering more it looks like the tower in the middle will be office space and the other towers on the side look more like housing units.

The first tower on the far left looks to be around 24-25 stories
The middle tower in the rendering looks to be the tallest at around 26-28 stories
The far right towers looks to be the shortest at around 20-21 stories.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 7:13 PM

^
I hope they didn't downsize. Even though they will be in Sandy.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 7:28 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I am so conflicted with this project. On one hand I don't see that "DT " Sandy has the demand for 40+ floors of residential but who knows, and incase anyone is wondering I am a HUGE Homer for SLC and want to see it grow. On the other hand I like the look of the development I do like the idea of having more overall skyline in the valley and maybe new "DT" Sandy becoming more urban in the next couple of decades.

I like the idea of the towers being different heights, I think it would give it a little more character and dimension than three identical heights.

With the state of the Utah and Wastach Front economy I would like to see this project come about, less the theater of course . If this or the Gehry project eclipse SLC for the tallest I think it will be only a matter of a couple of years before DT SLC once again has the tallest. It will be some business owner or developer (what I hope to be really soon) that LOVES SLC and will figure out a way to build one that is even taller. It won't the typical battle of ego's like two banks in the same city saying "Mine is bigger than yours" but rather the one city (SLC), saying to Lehi or Sandy. "How dare you even have the thought that yours is bigger than mine". I honestly see DT SLC breaking the 35 story mark in the next 10 years possibly even the 40.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West