HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 6:15 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
Any article on Pittsburgh that I come across that mentions food, mentions chipped ham and Primantis. I've never had either and have no intention of starting now--I was merely saying that that is the image of Pittburgh cuisine.

That being said, I have to really disagree with you about the quality of food in Pittsburgh. It is not up to snuff. I love the Strip, and there are several places in town I really like, but the restaurant scene is very poor compared to cities of similar size. In my several, recent one-week trips to Pittsburgh I cannot say I found a memorable meal. When I lived in Pittsburgh, I thought the same thing (my family is in the restaurant business, so I look for these things). I hate Atlanta with every fiber of my being, but I can't fault the place for its restaurants.
Have you been to any restuarants owned by the Big Burrito Group? Even if you aren't into Cal-Mex food from Mad Mex that they are known for, their other upscale restuarants all get great reviews.
http://www.bigburrito.com/

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 6:27 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
Any article on Pittsburgh that I come across that mentions food, mentions chipped ham and Primantis. I've never had either and have no intention of starting now--I was merely saying that that is the image of Pittburgh cuisine.

That being said, I have to really disagree with you about the quality of food in Pittsburgh. It is not up to snuff. I love the Strip, and there are several places in town I really like, but the restaurant scene is very poor compared to cities of similar size. In my several, recent one-week trips to Pittsburgh I cannot say I found a memorable meal. When I lived in Pittsburgh, I thought the same thing (my family is in the restaurant business, so I look for these things). I hate Atlanta with every fiber of my being, but I can't fault the place for its restaurants.
I would ask you to elaborate on your experiences... but it really has nothing to do with the new arena.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 3:20 AM

My point was that I think the old igloo would make a great farmers' market; I think it is worthy of preservation and would kill two birds with a stone by encouraging a more sophisticated food scene in Pittsburgh. For a place I really love, I find the Burgh's restaurant situation pretty poor. Others disagree. It's really not too debateable--it's just my opinion based on other places I've lived or worked extensively. It doesn't have to be argued here or anyplace else...sorry to have gone off on a tangent, but forums are like that...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 5:59 PM
Eurosceptic

Whatever... I think your idea is horrible... a gigantic steel dome farmer's market... what an absolute waste of critical urban fabric... why in the world would a gigantic steel dome be a suitable place for a farmer's market anyway?

in fact, farmer's markets suck... we Pittsburghers just eat chipped ham

source: camaros.net

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 6:50 PM

It is ridiculous and somewhat childish that some people cannot tolerate an opinion that is not shared by them. Lets move on child.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 7:12 PM

The parking garage is starting to take shape:

Close up:

The rest of the pics were taken during a twighlight walk around the arena:

The pictures from the outside aren't going to change much until the glass and outside lighting is put up, which I doubt will be for a while. I really want to get inside that building now. There was only one security guard that I saw and the perimeter fence was pretty shabby.......

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 1:12 PM

I understand that arenas can't be too flashy, but the boxiness and the proportions aren't doing much for me...

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 12:15 PM
Administrator

^Ok, we get it, you don't like the place, nor do you like the food in the Burg.

Let's get the thread back on track folks. sheesh.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 12:42 PM

Hmmm...curious...
I comment on the arena's proportions and you say we should get the thread (New Multi Purpose Arena) "back on track." Do you mean that you like the proportions and anyone who doesn't is off track? Is there any principle at work here?

*apologies to Pittsburghers who are still rankled by my opinion that I think the food scene is not wonderful. I was joking. It's perfect. Get over it.

**and I still don't like the proportions on the new arena, though Gilamonster's photo's are excellent. I especially like the last two that gave a fairly uncommon angle on the skyline.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 3:29 AM
Unpolitically Correct

Nice updates, thanks.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 2:16 AM
Unpolitically Correct

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 2:54 PM

AHH the first inside shot!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilamonster View Post
AHH the first inside shot!
The inside is looking good. Certainly a much different feel than the Arena.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 12:35 AM
Unpolitically Correct

On the penguins website, which I linked above, if you go to PensTV, they have awesome construction video up. It may take some time though to browse through all the videos they have to get to the construction ones.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 9:42 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
It looks similiar to the seating bowl of the Wachovia Center.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 1:22 PM

As well as the other 28 NHL arenas........... Also, 5+5=10 and the sun is hot.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 4:06 PM

Apparently they scrapped the idea of all the luxury boxes being on one side, a la Philips Arena in Atlanta.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 10:05 PM

Ok Gila....If you really think that response was necessary.

I guess it won't be possible to attract an nba franchise as I alluded to earlier. The lower seats don't look retractable.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 3:00 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion1 View Post
I guess it won't be possible to attract an nba franchise as I alluded to earlier. The lower seats don't look retractable.
I hate to be a downer, but Pittsburgh is already listed as one of the most overburdened cities with 3 professional teams. (in terms of total metro wealth) Income needed per team: Major League Baseball - $89.2 billion. Major League Soccer - $16.1 billion. National Basketball Association - $38.4 billion; National Hockey League - $35.7 billion; and National Football League - $33.0 billion.

In 2008 the Pittsburgh metro had $100.7 billion total personal income (TPI).

So, i'm not sure how Pittsburgh is supporting 3 sports teams which add up to $157.9 billion personal income needed....

Quote:
Following Tampa-St. Petersburg on the list of overburdened sports markets are Phoenix, Denver, Pittsburgh and Kansas City.

http://www.bizjournals.com/edit_special/36.html

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 8:21 AM

Pa Pride.....

You're not a downer, just a realist. Actually this information was provided to me earlier but I didn't bother repeating it.
You never know what the future holds but I guess this is a moot point since this new arena is built solely for hockey.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development