HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 3:07 AM

I realize that I live in Timmins where I have yet to meet anyone who approves of Doug Ford but the PC government never had a detailed platform in the first place so nobody knows what the goals are or where we are heading.

The government has also been extremely unclear about funding for so many things and is still promising that no job losses will happen when some things are facing large budget cuts. Just pure confusion. Former Premier Mike Harris had a clear platform and did almost everything he said he was going to do exactly as planned. Doug Ford is just slashing some things and says he is finding savings but nobody knows what the real impact will be because he's not clear about it. But at the same time he has huge and I mean extremely huge spending plans that will mean deficits for awhile unless miraculous economic growth happens.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 11:20 PM

It seems to me the only unusual thing is they are announcing cuts one by one. The Chrétien or Harris cuts were announced in bulk. The strategy may be to numb people into not noticing the cuts.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 12:53 AM
It's Hammer Time

Ontario Polling:

LIB: 39.9%
NDP: 24.2%
PC: 22.4%
Green: 11.7%
Other: 1.8%

Mainstreet Research / May 22nd / 996 Respondents / IVR / MOE 3.1%

Ontario Leader Numbers:

Doug Ford:
Approve: 19.9% / Disapprove 73.4%

Andrea Horwath:
Approve 50.1% / Disapprove 29.8%

John Fraser:
Approve 20.8% / Disapprove 13.4%

Mike Schreiner:
Approve 26.2% / Disapprove 14.8%

Mainstreet Research / May 22nd / 996 Respondents

https://twitter.com/CanadianPolling

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 12:55 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Let PC's approval rate dip to 0% by the end of 2019. It won't mean much if they can consistently rebound from there between 2020 and 2022.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:49 AM
It's Hammer Time

Stem cell institute OIRM cut by Doug Ford’s Conservatives had ties to McMaster University
At least 11 Hamilton researchers were affiliated with the institute and McMaster was a founding institution.

NEWS 09:10 PM by Joanna Frketich The Hamilton Spectator
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9...er-university/

A stem cell research institute being cut by the provincial government is affiliated with at least 11 McMaster University scientists.

McMaster is also one of four founding institutions of the Ontario Institute for Regenerative Medicine (OIRM), which turned stem cell discoveries into clinical trials and treatments.

"It's a tough one to swallow," said Mick Bhatia, one of the Hamilton OIRM researchers and director of the McMaster Stem Cell and Cancer Research Institute. "They didn't provide any information on why it was cut. ... It was very abrupt."

Bhatia was one of five researchers — led by Dr. Janet Rossant at the University of Toronto and SickKids Hospital — to create what would eventually become OIRM.

The original Ontario Initiative in Personalized Stem Cell Medicine launched in 2009 with $10 million in funding from the province, $10 million from the Canada Foundation for Innovation and $5 million from other partners.

In addition, the hope was that the initiative would attract companies to invest in the research.

"If they see good science going on at our universities and research institutes, they come and they set up shop," said Bhatia. "We had to provide a magnet for those industries to arrive in Ontario."

Over time, the successful initiative morphed into OIRM, which formed in 2014 out of a partnership between the Ontario Stem Cell Initiative and the Centre for the Commercialization of Regenerative Medicine.

"This was not just some entity left here by the Liberals ... it came from scientists," said Bhatia. "It was something that really was important."

In the past, Bhatia himself has received $250,000 in research funding from OIRM to develop new cell types that seek out tumour cells in the hopes of creating potential treatments that would help the immune system fight cancer.

The $5 million in annual provincial funding and the research it currently supports stops at the end of the fiscal year on March 31.

"It's one less agency for you to apply to," said Bhatia about how it will affect the McMaster researchers. "You're entering races and here's a race they don't have anymore. There's no question it's disappointing."

He also points out that OIRM did more than simply provide research grants.

"They hold symposiums, workshops and bring in international speakers," he said. "For me, that's the biggest blow; the networking opportunities and the international and national engagement is just gone."

The Conservatives did not wait for an external review of OIRM's efficacy and return on investment before cutting it, saying it's up to the private sector to pay for stem cell research.

"You put a lot of investment of time, money and people into launching something and before it even gets to its destination you shoot it down," said Bhatia. "Science is incremental. It takes time. But we were on track. Now the track is removed."

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Let PC's approval rate dip to 0% by the end of 2019. It won't mean much if they can consistently rebound from there between 2020 and 2022.
Doug Ford could end up being a one-term Premier even if the PCs were to win again. He has already pissed off a large number of Ontarians but he has also angered many MPPs in his own party. I would not at all be surprised that if the PCs stay this low in the polls for awhile that he will be turfed as leader before the next election. He may have to not go ahead with many of his spending cuts in order to survive.

Ford will help the federal Liberals gain back support in Ontario.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Doug Ford could end up being a one-term Premier even if the PCs were to win again. He has already pissed off a large number of Ontarians but he has also angered many MPPs in his own party. I would not at all be surprised that if the PCs stay this low in the polls for awhile that he will be turfed as leader before the next election. He may have to not go ahead with many of his spending cuts in order to survive.

Ford will help the federal Liberals gain back support in Ontario.
Parties in Canada hardly ever turf leaders when they should. The Liberals should have turfed Wynne but didn’t and paid a huge price.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Parties in Canada hardly ever turf leaders when they should. The Liberals should have turfed Wynne but didn’t and paid a huge price.
You are right about both of those things.

Doug Ford is a major liability to his party. It is pretty clear now that most PC voters didn't vote PC because of Ford.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 1:26 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
It seems to me the only unusual thing is they are announcing cuts one by one. The Chrétien or Harris cuts were announced in bulk. The strategy may be to numb people into not noticing the cuts.
It's backfiring, because I call them "Thursday Surprises" and use them as conversation pieces with customers at work, who are getting increasingly pissed off with the PC party they used to support.

It's lots of fun when someone says "Now that the PCs are in power we'll see more people working!" and I can tell them "actually I've lost over 3 dozen customers now because of government office closures and former public workers leaving the province". And by fun I mean fucking terrifying.

We didn't even get the promised small business tax cut. He's going on and on about the carbon tax thing but that's only costing us a few dollars a week. I mean when the carbon tax charge on a $169.48 shipping bill is 14 cents... who gives a fuck?

Our health unit's funding just got slashed significantly, DSSAB funding is reduced, city transfers are reduced, all three of these means program cuts and increased property taxes to make up the difference. The health unit will be merging with the Kenora/Rainy River unit so we're going to have a single agency covering a region the size of France with about half the available funding. How exactly is this helping us? With school board cuts, we're probably going to lose another high school.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 1:40 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

It really is time to move from T Bay to Winnipeg...

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 2:46 AM
I am a typical

Moving isn't as easy as just going from one place to another.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
It's backfiring, because I call them "Thursday Surprises" and use them as conversation pieces with customers at work, who are getting increasingly pissed off with the PC party they used to support.

It's lots of fun when someone says "Now that the PCs are in power we'll see more people working!" and I can tell them "actually I've lost over 3 dozen customers now because of government office closures and former public workers leaving the province". And by fun I mean fucking terrifying.

We didn't even get the promised small business tax cut. He's going on and on about the carbon tax thing but that's only costing us a few dollars a week. I mean when the carbon tax charge on a $169.48 shipping bill is 14 cents... who gives a fuck?

Our health unit's funding just got slashed significantly, DSSAB funding is reduced, city transfers are reduced, all three of these means program cuts and increased property taxes to make up the difference. The health unit will be merging with the Kenora/Rainy River unit so we're going to have a single agency covering a region the size of France with about half the available funding. How exactly is this helping us? With school board cuts, we're probably going to lose another high school.
We're facing the exact same things here and I agree that Ford is making such a big deal over the carbon tax when it's something we don't pay much for and only the conservative politicians went nuts when it was implemented.

I also can't believe the size of the soon to be Northeastern health unit. The Northwest one is equally as bad. The current Porcupine Health Unit already serves a large enough area. And what an insult to us when they are including Parry Sound and Muskoka with us!! Those fucking places are including with places like Timmins, Hornepayne, Heart and Moosonee / Moose Factory as well as Sault, Sudbury, N-Bay, Tem-Shores and all places in between. And it could be a tricky way to end services in French as the Southern parts will dominate and have next to no francophones. I'm assuming that the coastal communities further North
will remain with the Weeneebayko Area Health Authority as I haven't heard it mentioned as being part of the mergers.

The cuts to social services which includes cuts to the DSSABs are scary. Timmins already has among the highest property tax rates in the province so we will end up paying quite a bit more in taxes overall.

Both Timmins and Thunder Bay have serious problems with homlessness and it really sucks that we won't be able to afford to address it, in fact less money and fewer resources will be available.

As much as I can't stand Doug Ford and the Ontario PCs, I am glad that Timmins and much of Northern Ontario including T-Bay didn't vote for this insanity. It's government like the current one that make me wish that Northern Ontario was its own province.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
It really is time to move from T Bay to Winnipeg...
Ontario is still better than Manitoba for most things. Government services are much better here and income taxes are lower. And that's what friends who live there tell me. The draw to Winnipeg is that it's a "big city" but you never hear anybody wanting to go there because it's Manitoba.

The neighbouring part of Quebec to where I live is starting look more attractive. It used to be behind in a lot of things but is now catching up to here with a booming economy and great regional culture. But it's not yet at the point where I would apply for a job in Rouyn-Noranda or Val-d'Or. I can always visit them for the day or weekend and enjoy what they have to offer.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 3:12 AM

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 11:43 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://apple.news/Am-u8cg_gTke028dTk5B-kg

Federal Conservatives are scared now.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 10:12 PM
Closed account

As a voter who did not vote for Doug, I am not hugely surprised at how things turned out.

He promised everything to everybody, had no plan to pay for it and somehow planned to balance the budget too.

The politically astute leaders who have to deliver bad news tend to get it over with early in the mandate and pile on the sweeteners at the end. Jean Chretien, Dalton McGuinty and Mike Harris did all their dirty work in their initial budgets.

When time came for re-election, people had mostly forgotten the bad news.

We will see if Doug has the same idea.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 4:55 AM

I agree. The problem with Doug Ford got himself into is that he made huge spending announcements and said that many of his project would be completed in a very short time at the same time as announcing cuts.

When Ontarians see that he could be balancing the budget much faster and with fewer cuts, he loses credibility.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 9:29 PM

From an Abacus poll recently released:

https://abacusdata.ca/tight-race-bet...-remains-high/

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 2:28 AM
I am a typical

Oh, I can't wait for people from Quebec and Alberta to tell us how this poll is a lie!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 12:49 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

There are so many scandals associated with ONPC that they’re really looking at a rebranding after 2022 (assuming their defeat).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario