HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 12:04 PM

^ Congratulations, Mr Downtown. How apropos.

I can't quite place the reference, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
The Walgreens on Armitage & Dayton is ... not moving any faster than the one at Diversey & Clark. It looks like little more than an abandoned hole in the ground. There may have been foundation work completed, but that's about all.
http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...moving-forward
Controversial Walgreens in Lincoln Park moving forward
August 16, 2013

The developer of a proposed Walgreens in Lincoln Park that has drawn objections from neighbors is getting ready to break ground, as the drugstore giant tries to address concerns that the store will disrupt the neighborhood. A development venture managed by Mark Hunt is awaiting permits, but anticipates starting work in the next month or two ...

... working with Ald. Michele Smith, 43rd, on a community operating agreement outlining details such as security and when deliveries will be made at the site along Dayton Street, a residential street, the alderman said. ...

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 3:44 PM

I never cared for the formal layout of the original park. It had no relationship to anything, unlike Congress and the Buckingham. Glad they are designing something much more organic.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 5:49 PM

Excellent idea, I love the whitewater ladder concept. It would be great to have the ability to paddle our area's flatwater rivers without the need to portage for the dams.

To 20,0001 posts and beyond.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 1:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Post 20,000.

Gentlemen . . . . to Chicago!

I assume there might be a woman on here too, god help her.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 1:44 AM

Not counting the ones in harryc's photos.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 4:12 PM

Back to the conversation about the new tower at Ashland and Division...I have more information.

A buddy of mine rented a unit there on Friday. He is the 18th person to sign a lease. So the building is approx. 20% rented after only being open for one week...not bad. I do think the building will lease quickly. He is paying $2000/mth for a 6th floor "2 bedroom" unit; not bad. One thing not mentioned on their website, is that they have a fixed-rate "bundled utility package" which covers electricity, heat/cooling, cable, water, gas, sewage etc. ALL utilities are covered in the fixed-rate price, which by the way is paid directly to the landlord along with the rent (which is a great perk, because now you dont have to pay individual utility bills to different vendors every month - you just make one easy payment along with the rent, to the landlord and they handle the rest). Also, like I mentioned, its a FIXED rate for the life of the lease...his utility cost is $130/month fixed, meaning he can heat/cool his unit on demand without worrying about the bill the next month. That is fantastic. I guess some of the newer buildings are going with this setup.

Also - based on what he told me, he does think that the average renters are people who are late 20's thru late 40's...people with established careers who want to live and work in the city. Loop-based IT workers, finance workers, etc. Recall the "bike psycho" we talked about...when I think of a bike psycho, I think of 23 year olds with tattoos who participate in Critical Mass. I think that the idea was this building was going to be marketed to that segment, and I love that group of people (I love bicycling myself) but I am not sure that demographic can afford this building. It is a fantastic project, but the units are somewhat pricey. There are only a handful of units that are under $1900 a month. The vast majority of the units are $2000 and up, and most of the 2-bedrooms are not truly 2-beds, they are "1 bed+den" type arrangements; the second bedroom does not have a door or a window. I am not sure how they are legally able to market those as 2-bedrooms. So this eliminates the ability to have a roomate in those floor plans (who wants to be a roomate in a scenario where you cant shut a door, get any privacy, or have a window?). The only true 2-bedom plan in the building, are the best units in the building, face the Northeast corner (fantastic view of Polish Triangle, I must admit) and most of those units are going for north of $3000 a month, and there are only 10 of those units available.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 4:36 PM

The background you posted pretty much answers all of that discussion as I would have expected. A $2000, 2 BR with bundled utilities / cable / internet (which I also have) really makes the rent price look more affordable. That's actually a steal when you consider all central Chicago rents right now. Plus it's a new building, plus it's got amenities, plus it's near a transit line, plus it's in a great neighborhood location.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 4:38 PM

Studio Gang Designs University of Chicago Dorms [Video]

Video Link

Found at: http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info...chicago-dorms/

Already covered here before, but I hadn't seen this video.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 10:02 PM
dream fast

8-16

1611 W Division, scaffolding coming down.

Studio/ Gang is located on the 2nd floor of the building above the Blue Line Subway entrance

Last edited by george; Aug 20, 2013 at 1:09 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
8-16

1611 W Division, scaffolding coming down.

Studio/ Gang is located on the 2nd floor of the building above the Blue Line Subway entrance

I so want to like this building. It looks great in (most) photos and looked great in renderings, but I don't think the materials and the construction quality did it any favors. The panels just look off -- the tolerances aren't tight and some of them are already stained. You can see a little of that in these photos. All I can do when I look at it in person is focus on the imperfections. I don't think it will age well.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 3:00 AM

Your right, the third photo from the bottom showing the corner is pretty gross. Lot's of oil canning and crooked joints. I guess I've only seen it in person zooming by on a bicycle. But I'll have to check it out in person close up to make my final observation. This is one thing you really got to be careful with using metal panel. Anyone know if this is ACM or insulated? I'm guessing ACM

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:12 AM
TL;DR

Maybe it's my monitor, but I don't see any oil-canning. I didn't detect any when I passed the building this afternoon, either. The reveals seem a little sloppy, though.

This facade seems like it has lots of little nooks and ledges that will catch dirt and grime, and be difficult to clean.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:28 AM

You have to zoom to see some oil canning. But I want to take a look in person again as it could be image compression making the panels look warped. Hopefully the ledges won't become grime collectors. Basic facade cleaning can keep it looking great for decades to come but best to always assume non-glazed surface cleaning will almost never happen. Even worse when dregs from window washing will collect on the sill and eventually migrate down the facade.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKVGuy View Post
I so want to like this building. It looks great in (most) photos and looked great in renderings, but I don't think the materials and the construction quality did it any favors. The panels just look off -- the tolerances aren't tight and some of them are already stained. You can see a little of that in these photos. All I can do when I look at it in person is focus on the imperfections. I don't think it will age well.
Ditto. I also feel like it came out too squat....

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 6:22 PM
dream fast

It will be interesting to see how these panels installed on 1611 W Division age. Further west down Division in the newer building that houses Prasino's restaurant, similar panels were used. Already several of the smaller panels have come undone and hang skewed, waiting to be reinstalled. The smaller panels seem prone to this more than the larger, but not a good sign of things to come.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 7:19 PM
tilted & shifted

Great news: the old Chicago Motor Club Building is being converted into a hotel, scheduled to open in 2015:
http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...883H3247467E8W

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Great news: the old Chicago Motor Club Building is being converted into a hotel, scheduled to open in 2015:
http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...883H3247467E8W
awesome, bout time! love seeing all these vintage hotel conversions. too bad ill never get to stay in them.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 7:25 PM
The City

^ That whole district of the NE Loop south of Wacker and East of State is just turning into hotel central. With so many out of towners aggregating into one area, one can't help but wonder how it will impact its character. I imagine more restaurants will pop up, as well as cafes and perhaps even nightclubs, with more of a 24 hour feel. Should be interesting to watch the transformation over the next 10 yrs or so...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 7:46 PM

^ My thoughts exactly. The NE loop and surrounding area (Langham, new Hyatt property near Trump) are exploding with new hotel ventures. The Virgin hotel will have a rooftop bar and a "signature restaurant" according to its corporate site. The whole tone of the area might change. I'm glad. I'm tired of downtown Chicago closing at 7pm.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Ditto. I also feel like it came out too squat....
On the earlier renderings and models the vertical bands were narrower and the glazed area was around 50%
Now it is around 40%. The net result is that it looks a little stubby.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development