HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 12:36 AM
BANNED

All over the world you'lll find them, like a leprachaun at the end of a rainbow. They exist in every city, and you'll find an Irish pub playing trad. music in every place possible. Like the Norse, they are good travellres and can adapt well to anyplace. I've found the Irish in the depths of Africa, in the South Pacific, and in Youngstown, Ohio. The Irish always have your back as a traveller, as they fix you up with a good ol pint of the black stuff.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 8:35 PM

London is probably the biggest Irish immigrant center outside of Ireland at this point. A century ago, New York almost certainly had more, but since the 1950s London has taken the lead.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
My maternal grandmother was German and almost never mentioned being German and actually never trusted Germany/ Germans...side effect of living through WW2. My maternal grandfather was from England and never even mentioned England. So yeah...these two ethnicities don't get a lot of love. Meanwhile, my Italian half of the family were in your face with the Italian culture. Even my non Italian side of the family knew how to cook sauce.

I have noticed German cultural pride is making somewhat of a resurgence.
The Englsh and Germans do share a few traits neither are overly sentimental and just get on with whatever they are doing, also both Nations have never really been underdogs and have an incredibly varied and domibant history and influence in the world both bad and good needless to say.Being English myself my uncle moved to Chicago when he was 23 and married my Auntie who was from rural illinois, she was of half swedish/italian descent and we would always visit every summer and I would always get the "I'm irish" .."I'm italian " from Americans.. I would always say good for you mate but really who gives a fuck!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
London is probably the biggest Irish immigrant center outside of Ireland at this point. A century ago, New York almost certainly had more, but since the 1950s London has taken the lead.
I suspect that between the 1840's to 1900's you'd probably be right as this was the peak period for Irish migration to the US following the Irish Famine. Before and after, the picture becomes a bit hazy as movement between the British Isles has been going on for countless centuries due to the proximity to each other.

In the wake of Brexit, it was revealed that there was surge in Irish citizenship applications; some six million Brits can apply through an Irish grandparent. I need to update the below as the latest figures up to June 2019 put the number of Irish (excluding Northern Irish) in London at 100,000 which would make it the third largest Irish city (behind Dublin and Cork).

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 10:12 PM

In Canada, the Conservative Party just picked a military veteran who ran an "angry man" campaign railing against "cancel culture", CBC bias, cracking down on Indigenous protesters etc. named Erin O'Toole to be their national leader.. I don't think I've encountered an American male "Erin" - do men have names like Erin in Irish American communities"? There were actually two male Erins in the last Parliament.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
In Canada, the Conservative Party just picked a military veteran who ran an "angry man" campaign railing against "cancel culture", CBC bias, cracking down on Indigenous protesters etc. named Erin O'Toole to be their national leader.. I don't think I've encountered an American male "Erin" - do men have names like Erin in Irish American communities"? There were actually two male Erins in the last Parliament.
Sure they do. I don't know what you mean by "like Erin" but my nephew is an Aidan, his mother being obsessed with the family's Irish roots.

I just checked, though and "There are 245,868 people in the U.S. with the first name Erin. Statistically the 290th most popular first name." (Source: http://howmanyofme.com/people/Erin_Gray/ ).

But here's the sad part: All over San Francisco there are Irish style pubs shuttered by COVID. Makes you want to cry.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Sure they do. I don't know what you mean by "like Erin" but my nephew is an Aidan, his mother being obsessed with the family's Irish roots.

I just checked, though and "There are 245,868 people in the U.S. with the first name Erin. Statistically the 290th most popular first name." (Source: http://howmanyofme.com/people/Erin_Gray/ ).

But here's the sad part: All over San Francisco there are Irish style pubs shuttered by COVID. Makes you want to cry.
I've never met a man named Erin. I know several women named Erin and several men named Aaron, but no male Erins.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 11:00 PM

Well, yeah. The link says 95.27% of Erins in the U.S. are female. So it's a very rare male name, at least in the U.S.

I haven't met one, and I live in a very Irish metro and went to grad school in the most Irish metro.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 11:14 PM

Just an observation about subtle cultural differences between Canada and the US.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 12:58 AM
The New Republic

In Canada this is the first male Erin I've come across so it's very rare here too.

According to the National Household Survey 2011, the Canadian population of Irish ancestry increased since the 2006 Census to stand at 4,544,870. The 4 provinces in Atlantic Canada recorded the highest % Irish descent. PEI topped the list at 29.2% of the population. Next was Nova Scotia (21.6%), Newfoundland and Labrador (21.5%), New Brunswick (21.0%), and Yukon (19.0%). All figures are from the 2011 Census. Nunavut Territory was lowest (4.2%) followed by Quebec (5.5%). Saint John, NB is usually cited as Canada's most 'Irish' city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Canadians

Last edited by isaidso; Aug 27, 2020 at 6:29 AM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 1:08 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i’ve known a couple male erins in my life. pretty rare, perhaps why i remember.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
In Canada this is the first male Erin I've come across so it's very rare here too.

According to the National Household Survey 2011, the Canadian population of Irish ancestry increased since the 2006 Census to stand at 4,544,870. The 4 provinces in Atlantic Canada recorded the highest % of Irish descent. PEI topped the list at 29.2% of the population. Next was Nova Scotia (21.6%), Newfoundland and Labrador (21.5%), New Brunswick (21.0%), and Yukon (19.0%). All figures are from the 2011 Census. Nunavut Territory was lowest (4.2%) followed by Quebec (5.5%). Saint John, NB is usually cited as Canada's most 'Irish' city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Canadians
Irish ancestry is undercounted in Newfoundland. The vast majority of Catholics in Newfoundland - about a third of the population and over 40% in St. John's - are of Irish ancestry.

St. John's Newfoundland I suspect is more Irish than Saint John New Brunswick.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 6:32 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Irish ancestry is undercounted in Newfoundland. The vast majority of Catholics in Newfoundland - about a third of the population and over 40% in St. John's - are of Irish ancestry.

St. John's Newfoundland I suspect is more Irish than Saint John New Brunswick.
That may be so but without a source and a similar digging beneath the surface for Saint John, it's hard to take much away from what you wrote. All one can conclude is that they're both heavily Irish.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 7:59 PM

No hard data on this but I suspect there are more people with names like Seamus O'Regan in Newfoundland's largest city than in New Brunswick's largest city.

St. John's is also more Catholic than Saint John. There doesn't seem to be any "missing Irish" when one compares religion and ancestry figures. And while Saint John is a very much an "anglo" city there's a lot more people of French Canadian/Acadian ancestry (around 20%) than there is in Newfoundland.

Atlantic Canada really is the "Celtic fringe" of North America. From the Scottish vibe of Nova Scotia/PEI to the Irish vibe of the Avalon peninsula. In spite of Irish presence in Saint John (the main Famine Irish center), New Brunswick has the strongest Acadian and Loyalist heritage and feels the least "Celtic" of the Atlantic provinces; furthemore St. John's dominates Newfoundland in a way Saint John does not for New Brunswick.

Last edited by Docere; Aug 27, 2020 at 8:17 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 8:05 PM

What's got the strongest Irish vibe after Boston among major US cities? NYC? Philadelphia? Chicago?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 8:16 PM

I'd say NYC and Philly. For whatever reason, NE corridor metros are just more overtly ethnic.

But no question the Daleys and South Side Irish have had tremendous influence on Chicago. The last Irish mayor in NYC was William O'Dwyer (1946-1950), nearly thirty years before the first Jewish mayor.

Boston is unquestionably the Irish-American mecca. But the Woodlawn-Bronx/SE Yonkers area is really the only U.S. neighborhood where there are significant numbers of first and second generation Irish.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 10:05 PM

People with strong and/or recent cultural ties to Irish culture and Ireland still exist on the East Coast in the US.

For example, Saoirse Ronan.

From her Wikipedia biography section:

Saoirse Una Ronan was born on 12 April 1994 in The Bronx, New York City, U.S.[3] She is the only child of Irish parents Monica (née Brennan) and Paul Ronan, who are both from Dublin.[4] Her father worked in construction and bar work before training as an actor in New York,[5][6] and her mother worked as a nanny, but had also acted as a child.[6][7] Ronan's parents were initially undocumented immigrants who had left Ireland due to the recession of the 1980s, and struggled economically during their time in New York.[4] The family moved back to Dublin when Ronan was three years old.[8]

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
There's a certain stereotype about a type of Irish American conservative personality who becomes more conservative after having "made it in America" over the generations, for instance, thinking of themselves as an "assimilated" American that's had the immigrant/ethnic "minority" in the past, and now this experience is behind them.

Is this stereotype stronger or weaker among those who are more culturally "Irish" vs. assimilated? The Canadian political example seems to suggest that many Irish can be conservative without being fully "assimilated", for instance keeping Irish names etc.

For instance, there were still undocumented/illegal Irish immigrants up to a generation ago in NYC (don't know what the numbers are)?

Do stereotypically conservative native-born Irish Americans who are less sympathetic to illegal/undocumented immigrants feel different about the new Irish immigrants? Do these groups still feel diaspora connections/diasporic political ties with each other and the old country?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
What's got the strongest Irish vibe after Boston among major US cities? NYC? Philadelphia? Chicago?
Here's one that's not as widely known as it should be:

https://www.pinterest.com/pinningela...irish-channel/

https://www.facebook.com/pg/IrishCha...yParade/posts/

https://chocotees.com/tee/slainte-ir...y-skull-shirt/

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
People with strong and/or recent cultural ties to Irish culture and Ireland still exist on the East Coast in the US.

For example, Saoirse Ronan.

From her Wikipedia biography section:

Saoirse Una Ronan was born on 12 April 1994 in The Bronx, New York City, U.S.[3] She is the only child of Irish parents Monica (née Brennan) and Paul Ronan, who are both from Dublin.[4] Her father worked in construction and bar work before training as an actor in New York,[5][6] and her mother worked as a nanny, but had also acted as a child.[6][7] Ronan's parents were initially undocumented immigrants who had left Ireland due to the recession of the 1980s, and struggled economically during their time in New York.[4] The family moved back to Dublin when Ronan was three years old.[8]
San Francisco swells with Irish techies when times are bad in the large tech industry back home and then shrinks dramatically when things improve.

Actually, the city has a huge population of Irish heritage and they are especially prominent in the construction industry:

Quote:
The Residential Builders Association - founded in the summer of 1976 -began as a coalition of mostly Irish Contractors working together to improve conditions within the local construction industry. A strong need for local advocacy was identified and the Association quickly evolved. The Residential Builders Association continues to be a member– driven organization, representing all of the San Francisco construction and related industries.
https://www.rbasf.com/about

These guys are famous (infamous?) for putting up what are known locally as "Richmond specials" (3 or 4 story, fairly inexpensively constructed multifamily condo and rental buildings, usually all-wood construction).

The city's Catholic school system is full of their kids.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions