HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 4:30 PM
Build'em high!

I feel your pain. I spent good money to go up to and catch the Calgary game, for the privilege of watching them put on a lucklustre effort and watching Johnny smurf run around un-touched. The only bright spot is I didn't go pay good money to see the Carolina game. I got to watch them stink out the joint on TV for free.

As I've said before, it's time to clean house. Not just Chiarelli, but the whole mgmt team and all the old boys from the glory days. Start fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
That's it Oilers, I'm done with you this season. I had hopes that you might at least compete for a playoff spot but you cannot be bothered to put in an effort most nights. College football is over, I'm done with hockey, and NFL has one game left. Pretty slim pickings for sports to watch now until football starts again.

the last two games have been pathetic and to come out with an effort like they did last night against Caroline is beyond excusable. Absolutely zero urgency, effort, or desire to even try.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
It is becoming fairly widely reported that their is internal panic as a result of many of the boxes and logge seats being on a 3 year contract and being up for renewal after this season.

I have heard of multiple companies deciding not to renew.

There is always going to be a waiting line for pairs of seats....but I can't imagine that there is a waiting line for boxes. What's a box, $400,000ish, Plus a couple grand a night in expenses. That is going to be where change comes from.

I see it all the time. I'm in land development. just about every consultant, developer, or contractor has season seats to wine and dine. Its getting to the point where the people who make decisions are going less and less and as a result your bringing "less important" people... It's no surprise companies are deciding not to renew.
Accurate assessment.

I gave up our season tickets this year after 20 years. It was actually hard to give them away to clients. Even most of our family members did not want to go.

Enough of these shenanigans. Oiler fans deserve better.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 5:00 PM

It looked like the Oilers had some try in them against Calgary, but they were playing a team that is playing well this year, and managing to win games even when they aren't playing hard. In that game I think the Flames came out hard against Edmonton, and was part of the reason the Oilers looked like they weren't trying.
The Oilers seemed to have less effort against Carolina, but I wonder if they had to much focused on the Calgary game? Also Carolina is playing well lately.

Regarding Johnny 'smurf': It's not a case of the Oilers letting him run around freely. He does that against all teams, partly due to the fact that he is a talented player. Also probably because of his size. He's grown up having to dodging checks and is good at it. He reminds me of Doug Gilmour, Denis Savard, Martin St Louis, even Gretzky ... in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Spaghetti View Post
I feel your pain. I spent good money to go up to and catch the Calgary game, for the privilege of watching them put on a lucklustre effort and watching Johnny smurf run around un-touched. The only bright spot is I didn't go pay good money to see the Carolina game. I got to watch them stink out the joint on TV for free.

As I've said before, it's time to clean house. Not just Chiarelli, but the whole mgmt team and all the old boys from the glory days. Start fresh.
Quote:
That's it Oilers, I'm done with you this season. I had hopes that you might at least compete for a playoff spot but you cannot be bothered to put in an effort most nights. College football is over, I'm done with hockey, and NFL has one game left. Pretty slim pickings for sports to watch now until football starts again.

the last two games have been pathetic and to come out with an effort like they did last night against Caroline is beyond excusable. Absolutely zero urgency, effort, or desire to even try.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 5:57 PM

Johnny dodges checks and always finds a pass because he has unreal vision out there. I'm sure it's a result of pretty much always being the smallest guy on the ice, he had to learn to see everything if he didn't want to get killed lol.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Johnny dodges checks and always finds a pass because he has unreal vision out there. I'm sure it's a result of pretty much always being the smallest guy on the ice, he had to learn to see everything if he didn't want to get killed lol.
Johnny looks a lot stronger this year, way harder to knock off the puck compared to previous years and really tenacious behind the net and in the corners. Even throws the occasional check. He's stepped his game up this year, maybe Gio is making him lunch these days!

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 6:58 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Johnny looks a lot stronger this year, way harder to knock off the puck compared to previous years and really tenacious behind the net and in the corners. Even throws the occasional check. He's stepped his game up this year, maybe Gio is making him lunch these days!
Johnny looks to be half a step quicker this year. I don't remember him getting this many breakaways in years past, he still can't score on them lol.....

Tkachuk has also improved his skating over the past couple seasons.

Maybe they are both working with someone?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 8:39 PM

I'm sure both players were busy with training and conditioning last summer, and Johnny is finally putting on a bit of weight (up to a whopping 165 now lol).

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 9:10 PM

Quote:
I'm sure both players were busy with training and conditioning last summer, and Johnny is finally putting on a bit of weight (up to a whopping 165 now lol).

The kids amazing....got to give credit where credit is due.

165 lbs. How many times have smaller athletes heard...

(sorry son...your just to damn small)

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 9:51 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
I think the rest of the league is just softer....With this trend he could loose 20lbs next year and not have to worry about people finishing checks.

but i'm the kind of guy who played bantam in the late 90's and wanted to be like Scott Stevens. Catching dangly little fucks coming across the blue line with their head down...back when you were responsible for making sure you didn't put yourself in a vulnerable position....where forwards/coaches would rip into their d if they gave them a suicide pass on a break out because guys like me were on the ice playing D....not play some victim and blame others.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 10:43 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Not sure what the Oilers were thinking with the Koskinen signing. Not only is it pretty expensive but it's a guarantee that Talbot won't be coming back next year. So the Oilers have to either let him walk at the end of the season as a UFA or trade him. And now every GM in the league knows it and won't be offering anything of value because the Oilers are bent over a barrell on this one. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 11:07 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Not sure what the Oilers were thinking with the Koskinen signing. Not only is it pretty expensive but it's a guarantee that Talbot won't be coming back next year. So the Oilers have to either let him walk at the end of the season as a UFA or trade him. And now every GM in the league knows it and won't be offering anything of value because the Oilers are bent over a barrell on this one. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Maybe the Flames can pick him up for cheap as a backup for next year.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 11:09 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I think the rest of the league is just softer....With this trend he could loose 20lbs next year and not have to worry about people finishing checks.

but i'm the kind of guy who played bantam in the late 90's and wanted to be like Scott Stevens. Catching dangly little fucks coming across the blue line with their head down...back when you were responsible for making sure you didn't put yourself in a vulnerable position....where forwards/coaches would rip into their d if they gave them a suicide pass on a break out because guys like me were on the ice playing D....not play some victim and blame others.
Hockey just hasn't progressed that way anymore. More emphasis is put on skill and offense than brute strength. Stevens would be....a completely average defenseman these days, whereas a guy like Niedermayer would excel even more. A part of me is glad the dumb, physical stuff is out of the game. There's always going to be some physicality involved but I get the feeling from a lot of people that really advocate for rough play that they would rather watch a fight than a hockey game.

The NHL's standard of play is better now than it's ever been.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Hockey just hasn't progressed that way anymore. More emphasis is put on skill and offense than brute strength. Stevens would be....a completely average defenseman these days, whereas a guy like Niedermayer would excel even more. A part of me is glad the dumb, physical stuff is out of the game. There's always going to be some physicality involved but I get the feeling from a lot of people that really advocate for rough play that they would rather watch a fight than a hockey game.

Agreed, the hockey you see today is so much more entertaining. If you go back and watch games from previous eras, the amount of BS (holding, slashing, elbowing, interference...) going on with every play is quite surprising and I'm thrilled they have gotten rid of it. I'm all for a big hit now and again, but when a player delivers one they are usually mobbed right away and there is either a whistle, or a fight then a whistle, and I find that it breaks up the flow of the game too much. I love the speed and creativity of the game now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Maybe the Flames can pick him up for cheap as a backup for next year.
Hell no, I think I would rather give Smith another year or two then sign Talbot.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Agreed, the hockey you see today is so much more entertaining. If you go back and watch games from previous eras, the amount of BS (holding, slashing, elbowing, interference...) going on with every play is quite surprising and I'm thrilled they have gotten rid of it. I'm all for a big hit now and again, but when a player delivers one they are usually mobbed right away and there is either a whistle, or a fight then a whistle, and I find that it breaks up the flow of the game too much. I love the speed and creativity of the game now.
I don't like the mobbing after a clean big hit, but if that's a price to pay to make sure we don't have idiocy like Scott Stevens laying out Paul Kariya again, that's a small one to pay.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 12:30 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:

Quote:
I totally agree - the game is superior now and much more enjoyable to watch.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:

I played Bantam 96-97 and 97-98, played a few Edmonton tournies, wonder if we ever played each other. Played A in Bantam.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 6:22 AM

Lots of talk out of Edmonton that Chiarelli is done. Bold moves coming.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 6:38 AM

Quote:

I agree 100% The days of brutes who couldn't really play hockey but where they to do damage are over.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 6:40 AM

Quote:

Thankfully the game has changed and the emphasis is now on speed and skill and not brutish idiots.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Lots of talk out of Edmonton that Chiarelli is done. Bold moves coming.
I hope one of the bold moves is getting rid of that stupid goal horn. Am I the only one who thinks it's completely lame?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada