HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 12:11 AM

This is great work. I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Is that the new building at the Hudson's site? I thought the height of the project was reduced.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
This is great work. I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Is that the new building at the Hudson's site? I thought the height of the project was reduced.
Thanks!

Yes, that is the Hudson's site tower. It is being reduced, but as far as I know, there is no official number on the new height, and there are no new renderings. I am using the most recent model/height in my model until the new information comes out.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 2:51 PM

Windsor average home prices approaching the $400K mark

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/windsor-h...uary-1.4838196

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 11:39 PM

Anyone else wish we had a higher-profile professional sports team (CFL, CPL, etc) down here in Windsor? I do, I've been working on a modelling project for a CFL-size stadium concept for Windsor, located on the big empty plot of land near Crawford and Wyandotte. The stadium would seat 10,848 at its fixed capacity in its current state.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 1:42 AM

Interesting concept, looks bigger than 11k seats though, unless you are setting it up for social distancing lol. If I remember back in the 90's when the CFL was dabbling in the US, they were looking at Detroit as a market, playing at Tiger Stadium. I'm not sure how well Windsor would draw. I would think they would need some Detroit support. Windsor is also closer to all the pro Detroit teams than most of Detroit is, so I think that works against them.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Interesting concept, looks bigger than 11k seats though, unless you are setting it up for social distancing lol. If I remember back in the 90's when the CFL was dabbling in the US, they were looking at Detroit as a market, playing at Tiger Stadium. I'm not sure how well Windsor would draw. I would think they would need some Detroit support. Windsor is also closer to all the pro Detroit teams than most of Detroit is, so I think that works against them.
Yeah, when I first was setting up the seating in the model, I thought I was going to end up with around 15k seats, but I think the shortfall is due to spacing. I'm going to continue to refine on it and see how much more seating I can fit.

It's hard to tell if the conditions could work for a team in Windsor. It would definitely have to be bolstered by Detroit support, since Windsor-Essex, Chatham-Kent, and Sarnia-Lambton would only be a market of around 600,000 people. However, I do think this is possible, given the fact that the Lions' average attendance has started to fall again in recent years. It would need to involve a heavy US marketing campaign and probably a lot of coordination with college football, and the NFL would probably not take an incursion on their territory nicely.

A higher-profile sports team would be a really good thing for the region, in terms of helping Windsor become higher-profile and helping cultivate an identity.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 12:35 AM

Interesting idea there. The thing about Windsor is that nobody gives a rat's arse about the CFL. Any press about it is buried behind the news of the latest Detroit Lions loss that week. I don't think we need to cultivate an identity though...we have one...our identity happens to be linked with Detroit and that makes us unique right there.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
Anyone else wish we had a higher-profile professional sports team (CFL, CPL, etc) down here in Windsor? I do, I've been working on a modelling project for a CFL-size stadium concept for Windsor, located on the big empty plot of land near Crawford and Wyandotte. The stadium would seat 10,848 at its fixed capacity in its current state.
First of all, great job on the rendering, love seeing stuff like this.

Unfortunately, I really don't think the CFL would work out here. As has been mentioned before, people don't care about anything except the Lions, Michigan and Michigan State here. Very few sports fans in this city actively follow the CFL.

Somehow the Spitfires are able to Co-Exist with the Red Wings. But I honestly don't see how anything else would survive in a market with 4 major league teams at arms length.

Back around 2007 or 2008, Eddie Francis was floating the idea of having Alumni Field (at the University) significantly expanded and landing a CFL franchise. At the time, I thought it was a pipe dream and not surprisingly it fizzled out. Anybody remember what the story with that was?

What I'd really like to see (and know will never happen) would be a minor-pro league baseball team. But, the Tigers are an institution here, and sadly, I don't think anything that isn't MLB would survive in the region.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 3:04 PM

It was during the 2006 Super Bowl in Detroit that Eddie Francis and the CFL met and discussed possible Windsor expansion. I'm guessing that the lack of a stadium already existing slowed those talks and then the crash of 2008 killed them. I'm not sure if there was a prospective owner involved at that time either. Also, while the huge populations of southern Ontario are enticing, the Ticats and Argos haven't been exactly great market samples of fan support.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 7:54 PM

Honestly I dont know how the Windsor Express basketball team is still around.

Anyhow, nice work, but I agree it would be a hard sell.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 7:31 PM
Let's go Red Wings!

Windsor is far to small of a town to support or get funding for a CFL team.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 11:32 AM

Regina is a much smaller city than Windsor.That being said people in Windsor are to involved in the Detroit teams.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 8:46 PM
Let's go Red Wings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy View Post
Regina is a much smaller city than Windsor.That being said people in Windsor are to involved in the Detroit teams.
20,000 people less in population is not what I would call "much smaller" Regina also has the support of the whole province for their team. But I do agree that most in Windsor travel to Detroit to watch sports.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k_pony View Post
20,000 people less in population is not what I would call "much smaller" Regina also has the support of the whole province for their team. But I do agree that most in Windsor travel to Detroit to watch sports.
Actually, when comparing Census Metropolitan Areas as of the most recent data:https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=1710013501

Windsor 354,917

Regina 261,684

However, I totally agree that the Windsor sports scene tends to be dominated by adjacent Detroit.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Actually, when comparing Census Metropolitan Areas as of the most recent data:https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=1710013501

Windsor 354,917

Regina 261,684

However, I totally agree that the Windsor sports scene tends to be dominated by adjacent Detroit.
And next year, the Leamington CA will be added to Windsor’s metro adding another 52K, putting Windsor’s metro population at over 400,000.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 3:15 PM

Windsor housing market booms during pandemic

Average home price now at $401,465, up over $65,000 from last June.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...emic-1.5662862

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 11:27 AM

Average home price for Windsor-Essex rises 24% to $427,107

https://blackburnnews.com/windsor/wi...s-24-per-cent/

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 4:00 PM

That's up almost $100k from last year, which is completely ridiculous considering how little economic movement has happened within that time, not counting impacts from COVID.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 3:37 PM

Former industrial site on McDougall pegged for Mission’s new home.

This is great news and should make DT Windsor even more attractive to new investment, now that they will consolidate their properties and move them out of the core.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...sions-new-home

Last edited by DetroitSky; Oct 23, 2020 at 11:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Former industrial site on McDougall pegged for Mission’s new home.

This is great news and should make DT Windsor even more attractive to new investment, now that they will consolidate their properties and move them out of the core.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...sions-new-home
Looks like a positive thing for all parties involved.

Has the new downtown DoubleTree hotel opened yet? Has anything been built on the adjacent vacant lot?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario