HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 6:39 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Tiny Hotels

Do you guys have "tiny hotels" in your city? This place opened up nearby in a former hair salon, which at first I thought was to get rid of excess apartment capacity for short-term rentals, but apparently it's a very cheap hotel with tiny tiny rooms:

https://www.hotelbnbusa.com/

From their web site, this is what their rooms look like:

Rooms are very reasonably priced, almost as cheap as a hostel, but you get a private bedroom (still shared bathroom). I haven't seen anything like this around here before.... are these common in the US?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 7:35 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
I'm going to have to ask you to take this post down... My city has been so busy evicting residents and turning all the in-town residential units into Air BnB short-term rentals that no one's had time to empty out all the commercial space for tiny hotels. I don't need you giving them any ideas.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 7:49 PM

I have zero interest in shared bathrooms, particularly not when traveling.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 8:02 PM
BANNED

it's a great idea for young single people on a budget. today I would not book it, because how are you supposed to shag in the shower if you're sharing it with everybody else on your floor? I'd rather not re-experience dorm life!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 8:12 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

not a hotel, but there is something called kenect cleveland on the way for the flats with micro apts aimed at millenials that will no doubt be airbnb'd out.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 8:16 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

nyc apparantly has a few micro if not capsule type hotel rooms:

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/micro-hotels-36621302

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 9:06 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Do you guys have "tiny hotels" in your city? This place opened up nearby in a former hair salon, which at first I thought was to get rid of excess apartment capacity for short-term rentals, but apparently it's a very cheap hotel with tiny tiny rooms:

https://www.hotelbnbusa.com/

From their web site, this is what their rooms look like:

Rooms are very reasonably priced, almost as cheap as a hostel, but you get a private bedroom (still shared bathroom). I haven't seen anything like this around here before.... are these common in the US?
Well,I know where I will be staying when I visit Chicago this December

Edit: Actually, the hostels are still cheaper for a night. And if you still have to share a bathroom, the hostels may be a better deal granted your fellow roommates are quiet during the night.

Last edited by jd3189; Oct 13, 2020 at 9:48 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 10:18 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
I'm going to have to ask you to take this post down... My city has been so busy evicting residents and turning all the in-town residential units into Air BnB short-term rentals that no one's had time to empty out all the commercial space for tiny hotels. I don't need you giving them any ideas.
I think this is actually a great use of excess retail space.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 10:19 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Edit: Actually, the hostels are still cheaper for a night. And if you still have to share a bathroom, the hostels may be a better deal granted your fellow roommates are quiet during the night.
Yeah HI is a little cheaper (and also a better location... and Cafecito is an amazing place to eat). I've had hit or miss experiences with hostels, although HI is usually pretty good. If not for COVID and the fact that I don't know if I'll have it furnished in time or not, I'd probably offer you my spare bedroom :-p.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 11:21 PM

There are a few of these now: https://www.thepodhotel.com/our-story.html

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 12:53 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

I stayed at Pod 51 in Turtle Bay back in 2013. Shared bathroom was the only downside and that's OK although in a COVID-19 era I'd think twice... Tiny anything is a good idea be it hotel, car or house...

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
There are a few of these now: https://www.thepodhotel.com/our-story.html
We stayed at one of the pod hotels at the airport in Mexico City for a night. We landed at 4:00 AM, so it provided us with a great opportunity to crash before moving on later that morning. It's a great idea for an airport, especially for those waiting a long time for a connecting flight, but I wouldn't want to stay in one for more than a night or two.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 3:04 AM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Oh good, so it's not just Sedona and Flagstaff doing this kind of shit.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 6:39 AM

there is a pod hotel in Richmond, a suburb city in Vancouver. I don't think I'd want to stay in one. www.pandapod.ca

dailyhive.com

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 7:10 AM

When I visited NYC for the first time in the late 1970s (I was about 22) I stayed at the Vanderbilt YMCA near the U.N., just off Lexington on the East Side in a good area for a tourist to visit Manhattan. It was in a huge building, at least 20 stories. It was very affordable, and fairly clean but the rooms were TINY, probably less than 100 square feet. I recall I paid less than $20 for a room, which was a bargain. I vividly remember a violent summer thunderstorm that rolled through about 2A.M. waking me up with torrents of rain and loud thunder and lightenning flashes--all very exciting for a Californian not used to such displays. The room did have a window to watch the show. Alas, the bathroom and shower was not in the tiny room, but a common one down the hall. The place did have a huge cafeteria style restaurant where you could get filling but not especially tasty food. I just ate there for breakfast. One night I picked up some Chinese takeout food at a nearby bodega and took it back to the room to eat. Mistake! Several hours later I woke up with severe nausea from what I assume was some type of food poisoning, perhaps salmonella or norovirus. I felt better the next day. I never ate bodega food after that.

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 14, 2020 at 8:09 AM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 7:52 AM
video et taceo

There is a pod hotel at Schipol airport that is ideal for long layovers. This is a great feature for airports.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 12:49 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I think this is actually a great use of excess retail space.
We don't have any excess retail space, at least not downtown or in any of the neighborhood commercial nodes. We didn't have any excess residential units either, but that didn't stop anyone from booting out actual residents, and a lot of artists from their studios, in order to turn all those apartments, houses, and studios into Air BnB rentals.

For what it's worth, we actually did lose a music venue, the Altamont Theatre, to Air BnB. If this tiny hotel thing becomes a trend like Air BnB, can you even imagine what sort of fun it would be to visit a place like downtown Asheville? Just think -- people from actual, traditional hotels getting out in the street to mill around with people from the Air BnB rentals, milling around with people from the tiny hotels where all the stores used to be! Absolutely nothing but hotel rooms and restaurants! And if you actually do want to buy something or browse, you can head out to Tunnel Road to do like the locals do, and go to Wal-Mart. Have that authentic Asheville experience.

God, it'll be beautiful...
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 1:49 PM
World Traveler

A lot of times larger international airports have very small (micro or not-quite-micro) hotels or pods for longer transfer times. Seoul has the Incheon Airport Transit Hotel, and the rooms are quite a bit larger for this type of lodging.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 1:58 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
When I visited NYC for the first time in the late 1970s (I was about 22) I stayed at the Vanderbilt YMCA near the U.N., just off Lexington on the East Side in a good area for a tourist to visit Manhattan. It was in a huge building, at least 20 stories. It was very affordable, and fairly clean but the rooms were TINY, probably less than 100 square feet. I recall I paid less than $20 for a room, which was a bargain. I vividly remember a violent summer thunderstorm that rolled through about 2A.M. waking me up with torrents of rain and loud thunder and lightenning flashes--all very exciting for a Californian not used to such displays. The room did have a window to watch the show. Alas, the bathroom and shower was not in the tiny room, but a common one down the hall. The place did have a huge cafeteria style restaurant where you could get filling but not especially tasty food. I just ate there for breakfast. One night I picked up some Chinese takeout food at a nearby bodega and took it back to the room to eat. Mistake! Several hours later I woke up with severe nausea from what I assume was some type of food poisoning, perhaps salmonella or norovirus. I felt better the next day. I never ate bodega food after that.

yes good call -- i stayed there too in the 80s. highly recommended. you forgot to mention the best part -- you get access to the great ymca gym and pool there. quite a bargain if you don't mind staying in a dorm type setting. it was very clean and well run and i have seen still gets good reviews.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 1:59 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
A lot of times larger international airports have very small (micro or not-quite-micro) hotels or pods for longer transfer times. Seoul has the Incheon Airport Transit Hotel, and the rooms are quite a bit larger for this type of lodging.
yes, we stayed at one of those in sao paulo one time. it seemed like a lot of airline staff used them. something to look out for in a pinch.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions