HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 4:29 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Aleks' Sketchup Thread

Okay, so various members have started making threads for individual projects. Other have made new cities and some are making models of already existing cities!

So I decided to [sort of] combine all three! So I will be making my own models for Seattle. Umm.. I plan on adding much more detail since all projects are individual and then compile them together in Google Earth so show what the skyline would look like before-and-after. I'll also add some info like height [and it's rank].

4th & Spring:
Height: 648 ft
Floors: 46
Use: Office

Description:

Sections: The building is composed of 13 sections. Each section has 4 floors [except for base and top] and 2 atriums. The atriums are located on the sides of the building and are home to a tree per atrium.

Structure: The buildings support-frame is made up of a lattice design that surrounds the floors. This creates column-less floor plans. The core is also smaller because the weight is being distributed on the frame. The lattice structure also supports the building in case of an earthquake. It allows the building to twist and bend at a right frequency so that it stays up while holding the skyscraper stiff enough for a person to walk on.

Shape: Since the building is located in Seattle's CBD it is surrounded by buildings which block sunlight and views. The eye-shape allows more light to enter the building, while maximizing views from all angles. The shape also allows the wind to glide through the building more smoothly, reducing wind pressure on the structure.

Light: The floor-to-floor height is 13 ft 6 in to allow the maximum amount of light to enter the building. The windows use the sun's rays to heat the building during cold months. The roof has 56 solar panels which can swivel in any direction, this allows the panels flip and rotate in the suns direction to get as much light as possible. Light sensors across the building control the amount of lights being used and their brightness [ex. a light in a higher floor might be dimmer than a light on the lower floors].

Water: The building has 2 large water tanks, one is located underground, while a much smaller one is located on the last floor. Water from rain is collected in the underground tank where it can be used to irrigate the building's plants, used for the buildings bathroom network, etc... The smaller tank at the top is filled during Summer months when it's hot. Water is pumped up the building, it then enters a series of pipes which travel across the building. This keeps the building cool, allowing less A/C to run at once.

Air: Each section has 2 atriums. These atriums act as natural ventilation for the section. Small valves can be opened to allow natural air to enter the atrium. When closed the A/C will continuously and evenly circulate the section.

Fire: In case of a fire, a section blocks the A/C from the rest of the sections. Smoke is then pumped out via atrium floors so that smoke is exhausted as soon as possible. Emergency escalators are pressurized so that smoke won't enter, and in case it does enter, the smoke pumps begin to pump at a faster rate than those outside.

Plaza: The plaza is open to the public with as little obstruction as possible. The area fills up during Summer months for the annual Seafair parade but also every day as thousands of people go to work. Bike racks as well as seating is available. The lamp posts are solar powered and use LED lights, lasting longer and using less energy.

Parking: The building has 400 underground parking spots.

Technology: The entire building is Wi-Fi enabled. Low energy lights will be used across the building. Each elevator has a tv tunned to various channels including CNN, NBC and local broadcasters.

Sorry about my longggg description but I like explaining what my buildings are all about. It makes more sense and it's better than just posting a picture imo. I hope you guys read it! More renderings will come!

Last edited by Aleks; Jul 17, 2009 at 11:48 AM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 5:44 PM

wooooow great building!! nice job! you should have entered the competition
great great green building! btw love the trees in the atriums great idea!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 5:49 PM

i forgot to tell you, maybe if you put some more trees in some atriums and less in others so it would look more asimetrical i think it would look better, as well to add some trees in the roof top to create a terrace don't you think?, but great job, i think i never gonna be able to rennder like that
what program did you use?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 6:47 PM
<:

its nice you have your own thread, the building looks very green and modern, post more
and nice descriptions also, and yeah i dont have any words on my buildings lol

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 8:18 PM

Quote:
The entire building is Wi-Fi enabled

My only gripe is the plaza, it has the "Fortress Tower" feel to it.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 8:35 PM

Very nice...this is one high quality google sketchup.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 10:05 PM
World Machine

The building is simply great. It's sleek and perfectly detailed.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 11:27 PM

im glad your doing this thread mr alex because i know you are gonna
throw out some interesting buildings.I really like this building,lovely structure
and facade........but mainly cos its not square.it just looks really good.

the main downer is those crap trees,they look like christmas decorations.in
my opinion trees are ok in a lobby or out side where they belong..stick to
potted plants ...........but over all the tower is class

description is a tad long.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 11:45 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar92 View Post
i forgot to tell you, maybe if you put some more trees in some atriums and less in others so it would look more asimetrical i think it would look better, as well to add some trees in the roof top to create a terrace don't you think?, but great job, i think i never gonna be able to rennder like that
what program did you use?
I used Kerkythea. It's free and powerful. As for the atriums, I have a tree on every atrium in the building except for the base. There are more atriums on the other side. Once you see the whole building it'll make sense. The rooftop has solar panels and the window-washing mechanism so I wouldn't be able to add tree's. But there's an atrium at the top where I'll add a skygarden with a starbucks of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraper100 View Post
its nice you have your own thread, the building looks very green and modern, post more
and nice descriptions also, and yeah i dont have any words on my buildings lol
haha, I didn't mean you. You should describe you buildings, it makes the experience more fun. Well... for it does. But then again I'm kinda weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post

My only gripe is the plaza, it has the "Fortress Tower" feel to it.
Yeash, I didn't know what color to use for the plaza. It's supposed to be white I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota74 View Post
the main downer is those crap trees,they look like christmas decorations.in
my opinion trees are ok in a lobby or out side where they belong..stick to
potted plants ...........but over all the tower is class
The threes are supposed to be small potted ones that don't grow over 15 ft. I guess I should make them smaller and make the pots taller since the root would need more room.

Thanks everyone! I added more renderings to the first post so that the description makes more sense. Also, the glass is supposed to be a light blue and not so transparent. I tried making it look better but I suck at material editing. I tried making it like SS100's glass but I guess you can only do that on vRay.

Last edited by Aleks; Jul 17, 2009 at 12:57 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 11:52 AM
Desert Dweller

That should have been in the green competition!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 12:50 PM
Closed account

very nice.......

I love the modern feel.!I love the building itself and everything around it!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 1:06 PM

wow....nice tower... kinda looks like the one i'm designing, but of course ur renders are better... lol.. modern and enviro friendly.... love it..,

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 3:22 PM
<:

great! the new renders are :O

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 8:05 AM

I like the shape - it's very well proportioned. The visible skeleton adds nicely to its looks. I keep thinking, though, how it would look, if you used two colors - light and dark - for the skeleton. Like all the beams rising from left to right were light and all the beams risings from right to left were dark.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 9:44 AM

nice building, i especially like the ground cover shed in the ground level, i like that it's made of glass. Good job, this building would be great for the green competition.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 12:56 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellu View Post
I like the shape - it's very well proportioned. The visible skeleton adds nicely to its looks. I keep thinking, though, how it would look, if you used two colors - light and dark - for the skeleton. Like all the beams rising from left to right were light and all the beams risings from right to left were dark.
Yeah, I thought about that but I ended up going with just white columns, The atrium glass is supposed to be grey while the main floors are supposed to have light-blue glass. I just can't seem to get it in Kerkythea!

Anyways, here's some skyline shots. The building isn't rendered cause I just uploaded it to Earth:

Btw, Patricks Well Fargo model is gone. Which sucks because the new one looks bad and Pat's was really good.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 2:37 AM
Closed account

Nice!The tower really blends in with the skyline!

Last edited by Flamesrule; Jul 19, 2009 at 12:54 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 5:02 AM

I am 99% sure the texture on that Wells fargo building is from JP Morgan Chase tower in houston.

This might sound like a bad thing, but at first I had a problem finding your tower. It blends in nicely, but it really adds to the skyline.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 12:50 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I guess it's both, I really wanted a tower that blent into the skyline because to me Iconic buildings should be iconic in every aspect not just looks.

Hmm.. it wouldn't look that bad actually. I should force someone to build my tower!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 1:07 AM

i think its a bit too swallowed up in the skyline...cos american skylines are very highrise dence,thus they take away from a very different modern building.This tower is a bit different from general american mod buildings
and i think it would be perfect for la defence in paris where it would get
the space it needs and would suit the style.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup