HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 9:31 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY Daily News

New Metro-North station by Yankee Stadium right on track

BY PETE DONOHUE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Thursday, October 23rd 2008, 12:45 AM

The Steinbrenner boys aren't the only ones busy during this off-season in the Bronx.

Metro-North Railroad is making progress on constructing a train station near the new Yankee Stadium, and the railroad has scheduled a public hearing for November to determine fares to and from the station.

The hearing is required before the railroad can begin service to the Hudson Line station, which is expected to open in the spring.

The railroad also is refining schedules and operation plans for the station, which will see regular weekday and weekend service all year - not just when the Yankees are in town.

The emerging station has two 10-car platforms, a 10,000-square-foot covered mezzanine and a 450-foot overpass with elevators and stairs.

The overpass is just north of 153rd St.

"We're making good progress building this new station, especially considering the work goes on while trains go by, highway traffic continues above, and with buildings and columns all around," said Metro-North President Howard Permut.

"We look forward to serving this section of the Bronx, not just on game days but all year-round."

On game days, fans riding the Hudson Line to the stadium get a one-seat ride. Riders on the New Haven and Harlem lines will need to make a simple transfer at certain times.

On the way to the weekday and night games, New Haven and Harlem line riders heading south will be directed to get off at the 125th St. station and walk across the platform to a waiting shuttle train to the stadium.

Heading home during the work week, those fans will be able to simply board a train at the new station for direct service to their destinations.

On weekends, fans from Manhattan will have to take shuttle trains.

The different travel patterns are necessary because of the large number of trains - 700 - running to and from Grand Central Terminal on weekdays.

The new service will take advantage of a U-shaped stretch of track in the Mott Haven Yard called a wye. It connects the New Haven and Harlem lines, which run through the center of the Bronx, to the Hudson Line, which runs along the Hudson River.

Metro-North expects as many as 10,000 riders from New York, Connecticut and New Jersey will use the new station when the Yankees are in town.

The stop will be in the same fare zone as nearby stations such as Morris Heights and University Heights. A one-way peak ticket from those stops to Grand Central costs $6.50 while an off-peak ticket is $5. A monthly unlimited-ride pass costs $149.

The Yankees didn't contribute toward the construction of the station. The MTA is paying $52 million, while the city is kicking in $39 million, according to Metro-North

© Copyright 2008 NYDailyNews.com.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 9:01 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

Updated 10:21 AM

Yankees Transfer Soil Between Stadiums

The Yankees are trying to bring some of their old stadium's mystique and aura to their new home.

Members of the team's 1998 World Championship team and 40 high school students from several Bronx schools took part in a special ceremony Saturday afternoon.

They removed dirt from the pitcher's mound and home plate area at the old stadium and placed the dirt in the corresponding locations on the team's new field across the street. The rain did not dampen the crowd's enthusiasm.

"Bringing dirt from the old and greatest stadium, you know, our Roman Colosseum to the new one, it's an honor," said a student.

"It was amazing, I had the greatest time of my life," said another student. "I don't care if it was raining, hurricaning, I'd be out here. I wouldn't trade this moment for the wold"

Former pitcher David Cone helped move his old mound.

"It's a great symbolic gesture to be able to dig up home plate and the pitcher's mound and bring it to the new stadium, while giving the old stadium the respect it deserves," he said.

Those putting the new dirt in place said now when they watch future wins they will think they had a little part in bringing the team good luck.

"You know, it makes me feel like I'm a part of history," said a student. "I've never been in Yankee stadium before so it's very special for me."

The first home game at the new Yankee Stadium against Cleveland is set for April 16.

Copyright © 2008 NY1 News. All rights reserved.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 12:10 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...across_st.html

Stars & teens move infield dirt across street to new Yankee Stadium

Bronx teens help Yankees move dirt from original Stadium across the street on Saturday.

BY VERONIKA BELENKAYA and KATHLEEN LUCADAMO
November 8th 2008

Some Yankee greats got down and dirty in the Bronx Saturday - digging up soil from the House that Ruth Built to haul to the new stadium.

Bronx teenagers joined players from the 1998 championship team Saturday for the ceremonial transfer of dirt from home plate and the pitcher's mound.

"There is so much history and tradition here," said former pitcher David Cone. "We are making a symbolic gesture of actually taking a part of Yankee Stadium...and using it in the new stadium."

The 60 teens, who are part of an after-school program affiliated with the Yankees, cheered and cried while they carried pails of dirt in pouring rain to the new $800 million ballpark.

"It's crazy. It's history in the making right here," said Jason Diamond, 15, of West Farms. "It something to be proud of, something I'm going to tell my grandchildren."

They also extracted the rubber home plate and transferred it to the Bronx Bombers' new home.

"This is like a dream come true," said Mabel Jimenez, 17, of Morris Park.

On hand for the big dig were ex-champs Scott Brosius, Jeff Nelson and Paul O'Neill.

Brosius said he was grateful for a last chance to stand on the famous field.

"Out with the old, in with the new. It's great to be a part of this."

Yankee exec Jennifer Steinbrenner Swindal comforts emotional teen Darlene Mateo during Saturday's ceremony at the old Stadium.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 12:12 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 2:52 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

What is the area around Yankee Stadium like now? Has it improved?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelingman04 View Post
What is the area around Yankee Stadium like now? Has it improved?
It's a lot better than it used to be, although some areas are still a little sketchy by any standard. The Grand Concourse, for example, is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was in the 80's.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 7:27 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

^ Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 10:53 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

This stadium is going to be an instant hit.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 1:25 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...e-stadium.html

Welcome to the House that Geeks Built
Bombers unveil plans for a wired experience at new stadium

Nov 12, 2008

The new $1.3 billion Yankee Stadium will feature a murderer's row of high-tech hook-ups that will allow fans to order hot dogs and beers by phone -- and never miss a play at the plate.

More than 1,100 high-definition TVs will be installed throughout the Stadium, ensuring that a bathroom run won't mean that you missed a triple play or a historic ALCS comeback, Cisco VP Ron Ricci told the New York Post. Fans will one day soon be able to call up replays and alternate camera angles on their cell phones.

"The bottom line is that when you're in the Stadium, you will always have an opportunity to watch the game," Ricci told the Post at a press conference announcing the $15-million partnership between the Yankees and Cisco Systems.

Some of the technology won't be available when the stadium opens next season but the 59 luxury boxes will be outfitted with special touch screens to let well-heeled fans order concessions or call up video replay and alternate TV angles, according to the Post. The stadium will be so wired that maybe one day "Derek Jeter can help some kid in the Bronx learn long division” via video conferencing, Ricci told the New York Times.

“Take the dream of ‘Star Trek’ or other movies,” Cisco Chairman John Chambers told the Times. “That concept is where we’re going to go. It’s going to change all of sports. I don’t think I’m too bold in saying that.”

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 3:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Bronx teens help Yankees move dirt from original Stadium across the street on Saturday.

NOVEMBER 9, 2008

On the eve of the historic transfer, I paid a visit to Yankee Stadium...

1. The new Yankee Stadium is a sight to behold...

18. The glorious history of the Yankees...

20. Final game lineup...

28. Monuments to legends...

44. Sleep well sweet stadium...

Farewell...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 3:58 PM

Was that a tour group on the field?!

I went on the tour yesterday and they yelled at us if any part of our bodies came into contact with the grass!

(Great pics, though.)

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 8:35 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Damn, I will certainly miss this stadium with a passion.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 11:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSideofSteinway View Post
Was that a tour group on the field?!

I went on the tour yesterday and they yelled at us if any part of our bodies came into contact with the grass!
They yelled at us also, as they tried to keep us in line, lol. But those people on the field were either relatives of employees or special groups, not the official tour group. We weren't allowed to take the locker room tour because one of the players showed up.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 2:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 5:12 PM

The media got a tour of the new ballpark yesterday (or at least that is what I've read in a report about the Yankees free agent chase). Haven't found pictures yet.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 6:14 PM

Quote:
They yelled at us also, as they tried to keep us in line, lol. But those people on the field were either relatives of employees or special groups, not the official tour group. We weren't allowed to take the locker room tour because one of the players showed up.

i still can't understand why they are making such a big deal about getting on the grass. for one in the days of the original pre renovation stadium people were aloud to exit through the outfield so people could see the monuments, and also everything is going to get torn up when they bring in the track hoes, dozers and other equipment. its so frustrating

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...e-stadium.html

Welcome to the House that Geeks Built
Bombers unveil plans for a wired experience at new stadium

Nov 12, 2008

The new $1.3 billion Yankee Stadium will feature a murderer's row of high-tech hook-ups that will allow fans to order hot dogs and beers by phone -- and never miss a play at the plate.

More than 1,100 high-definition TVs will be installed throughout the Stadium, ensuring that a bathroom run won't mean that you missed a triple play or a historic ALCS comeback, Cisco VP Ron Ricci told the New York Post. Fans will one day soon be able to call up replays and alternate camera angles on their cell phones.

"The bottom line is that when you're in the Stadium, you will always have an opportunity to watch the game," Ricci told the Post at a press conference announcing the $15-million partnership between the Yankees and Cisco Systems.

Some of the technology won't be available when the stadium opens next season but the 59 luxury boxes will be outfitted with special touch screens to let well-heeled fans order concessions or call up video replay and alternate TV angles, according to the Post. The stadium will be so wired that maybe one day "Derek Jeter can help some kid in the Bronx learn long division” via video conferencing, Ricci told the New York Times.

“Take the dream of ‘Star Trek’ or other movies,” Cisco Chairman John Chambers told the Times. “That concept is where we’re going to go. It’s going to change all of sports. I don’t think I’m too bold in saying that.”

Meh, the Seattle Mariners let you order food and watch live stats on the Nintendo Ds with a free program

(The team is owned by Nintendo)

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 11:05 PM
New Yorker for life

From topkidnum1

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 12:01 AM

how big is the screen going to be

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 11:11 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by laro3 View Post
how big is the screen going to be

Old Yankee Stadium
Main Video Scoreboard 25' by 33'

New Yankee Stadium
25MM (Standard Def.) LED 59' high by 101' wide
16 MM True HD LED

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive