HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 4:00 PM

November HRC is up. There are four relatively large projects of interest this time around.

1. Conversion of most of the Carson-street facing side of 2529 East Carson Street (one of the South Side Works buildings) into apartments. It looks like they only plan on keeping the corner retail area (occupied by First Commonwealth Bank). This is a bit of a surprise, given there are still a number of active businesses on that block, but I suppose they might not be paying rent - and Carson Street was over-retailed even prior to COVID.

2. Reglazing of 915 Liberty Avenue. While the project itself is somewhat limited, there is a good deal of diagrams explaining the planned residential conversion of this building which may be of interest.

3. A resubmittal of seven planned infill townhouses by October Development in Central Northside. This was initially proposed a few months back, but embarrassingly the architect/developer seemed totally unaware that due to the lots presence within the expanded Mexican War Streets historic district they had to go through historic design review. The new designs are still ugly, but they at least keep to the rhythm of the existing homes (same window height/spacing), and most importantly they rotated half of the garages to the rear, meaning there will be less sidewalk curb cuts.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 4:19 PM

In addition, the November 12 ZBA is also online. There are three items of interest not covered elsewhere.

1. Alcosan plans to construct a new 40,000 square foot lab building and a 400-500 space parking garage on its campus on the Ohio. I don't find the design offensive - actually it's arguably a bit overdesigned given few people will ever see it who do not work there (it doesn't face the river). I do wonder since this is in a RIV-zoned area if the Planning Commission will also have to review the project however.

2. New single-family home in Duquense Heights. Very little information here, only a crude overhead view of the plot. I presume they are asking for only a 10-foot setback because the site slopes down away from Wyola Street pretty rapidly.

3. A group of eight infill townhouses in East Liberty. I believe these have gone before the ZBA before. It's a shame the earlier configuration with a rear alley didn't go through, because all of the townhouses will require a curb cut on a primary road. Still, the homes are done in a neotraditional style, with the garage detailing coming rather close to looking like a set of double doors. This is one of the last sizable undeveloped plots in "residential East Liberty" so it's nice to see some infill finally taking shape.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 5:31 PM
Ex Houstonian

Hopefully those October development infill houses will be of good quality, I’ve been pretty impressed with their work compared to most of the other schlock crap infill that’s been going on for a decade in this city.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 7:39 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Hopefully those October development infill houses will be of good quality, I’ve been pretty impressed with their work compared to most of the other schlock crap infill that’s been going on for a decade in this city.
Yes, they are nice quality. Of course they are all 500k+ so I would hope so.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 11:03 PM
somewhere in-between

Recent Trib Live update on Hazelwood Green, including some photos & renderings that I don't think have been shared here yet. There's also a short video at the link below -

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 6:23 PM

11/19 ZBA is online. There's only one item of interest - a new 3,100 square foot restaurant at 5900 Penn Avenue. This is the entire first floor of the "Duolingo building." Unfortunately, there's no information here about what exactly the restaurant will be.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 4:52 AM
somewhere in-between

After years of work, the renovated Wightman Park in Squirrel Hill has officially reopened. Photos from LinkedIn | Pashek + MTR.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 3:29 PM

I've been so "busy" this week watching election results trickle in I didn't even notice there's a new Planning Commission agenda up for November 10th. Three new projects up next week:

1. Façade renovations to 120 5th Avenue (Highmark Building). AE7's new design is sharp and modern, but to be honest I feel like the hokiness of the building's current design is part of what gives it some unique charm - the new design is much more austere. I do like that they're going to replace a now-useless pad of concrete with a raised outdoor dining area however.

2. A development plan for a steep slope overlay area off McKinney Lane (in Windgap, right near the City Vista Apartments/the old Parkway Center Mall. I'm kind of confused about what's going on here, to be honest. I believe this is just an attempt to log mature trees off the property.

3. The biggest thing of note this week though is a new project in Uptown - Fifth and Dinwiddie East. This is a GBBN project, which incorporates an existing building (now used by Pittsburgh DPW) into a new larger building. Unlike the other buildings which will be developed as part of this project (which have already been reviewed by the Commission) this is intended to be mostly office/light industrial with a small retail area at the corner. I'm not sure how I feel about the top floor of the structure - the cantilever seems too overpowering - but otherwise it looks like a smart design.

Last edited by eschaton; Nov 7, 2020 at 5:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 3:58 PM

^ Fifth Avenue Place street-level "updates" seem completely unnecessary to me and only serve to destroy the strong 1980s idiom of the existing design. The impulse to modernize with the current flavor of the half-decade nearly always ends up looking more dated within the subsequent decade than the original-era design. Throwaway projects like this are what keeps the lights on at architecture firms though, I guess.

The Uptown project is pretty damn ugly. But at least it will feature "LOCAL PUBLIC ART HERE"! Glad to see this on the Fifth Ave corridor though.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 6:50 PM

The 1980s are currently right in the zone where architecture is both too old and too new to be valued.

That Uptown projects is bonkers, but the densification of that corridor is nice.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 12:31 PM

December 3 ZBA is now online. All small projects with the exception of one - 1106 Reedsdale. This is the conversion of the historic building by Allegheny Station into condos, which has been bubbling along for some time. There ZBA presentation is in some ways less detailed than what has been seen before, but there are additional modifications that have been made to the project (I don't remember the entrance being rotated to the side before) and it's good to see the project is still live in a location that has proved strangely hard to develop.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 1:34 PM
Northsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
December 3 ZBA is now online. All small projects with the exception of one - 1106 Reedsdale. This is the conversion of the historic building by Allegheny Station into condos, which has been bubbling along for some time. There ZBA presentation is in some ways less detailed than what has been seen before, but there are additional modifications that have been made to the project (I don't remember the entrance being rotated to the side before) and it's good to see the project is still live in a location that has proved strangely hard to develop.
Are they just going to market those units as pied-à-terres for rich people to party in before and after games? I can't imagine living there almost directly across the street from Heinz Field. It's bad enough living four blocks away; the noise would be thunderous inside those apartments.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:07 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
These condos have been being actively marketed for a while in the West Penn MLS. There are currently 5 Contingent/Under Contract and 20 Active listings for this building.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Are they just going to market those units as pied-à-terres for rich people to party in before and after games? I can't imagine living there almost directly across the street from Heinz Field. It's bad enough living four blocks away; the noise would be thunderous inside those apartments.
That location is just about the last place I'd choose to live in Pittsburgh. It's an awful surrounding environment, unless you're some mega-yinzer who struck it rich and all you care about is Steelers and slots.

Surrounded by a sea of parking lots, hemmed in by highways, the tailgate crowd as your neighbors for 8 Sundays in the fall, and a behavior health hospital as your next-door and backyard neighbor.

The only good thing is that the T is right across the street so you can get the fuck outta there.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 11:27 AM

A friend of mine lived in an apartment very near Wrigley in Chicago. The biggest issue during games was parking, not noise. You could hear it outside, but inside the apartment really not so much. Concerts sometimes a little more, but again not much.

But in general, apparently what became clear to him was just how often a stadium is simply empty--and that was a baseball stadium.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
A friend of mine lived in an apartment very near Wrigley in Chicago. The biggest issue during games was parking, not noise. You could hear it outside, but inside the apartment really not so much. Concerts sometimes a little more, but again not much.

But in general, apparently what became clear to him was just how often a stadium is simply empty--and that was a baseball stadium.
I think some noise would actually be welcome in the largely dead zone that is the North Shore (particularly in close proximity to this condo development). Wrigleyville is obviously a dense urban neighborhood, with all sorts of amenities and daily activity... Wrigley Stadium kinda blends in as another part of the neighborhood. Whereas this part of the north Shore is a desolate environment, with little chance of ever attaining the feeling of a neighborhood.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 6:25 PM

I agree the location isn't where I would want to live. However, the location is never going to get better without actually building some residential (and commercial - this will have ground floor commercial).

Maybe 20 years from now the green lots will be developed, and Pittsburgh Mercy will have moved, and there will be a whole little neighborhood in this area.

I've always wondered why there are literally no residential projects on the North Shore around the Andy Warhol Museum though. If there's one section of the North Shore that still feels "like a city" it's around there. And there are plenty of under-utilized vacant parcels and even prewar buildings.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 7:46 PM

I agree the main problem with that area is the lack of local amenities, although it isn't a very far walk over to Allegheny West/Western Avenue (around 10 minutes).

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 7:49 PM

Quote:
I've always wondered why there are literally no residential projects on the North Shore around the Andy Warhol Museum though. If there's one section of the North Shore that still feels "like a city" it's around there. And there are plenty of under-utilized vacant parcels and even prewar buildings.
Yeah, that's a cool little area right next to Downtown which seems to have a ton of potential. I don't get it either.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
I agree the location isn't where I would want to live. However, the location is never going to get better without actually building some residential (and commercial - this will have ground floor commercial).

Maybe 20 years from now the green lots will be developed, and Pittsburgh Mercy will have moved, and there will be a whole little neighborhood in this area.

Yeah, this is the pioneer development, I guess. It's just that with the Steelers/Continental handling the development of the area, I can't see things changing for the better in any acceptable amount of time.

The area around Warhol is another story though... as you point out, seems to be a location with a ton of potential. And I'd MUCH rather live near a baseball stadium than a football stadium.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations