HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 6:36 AM

On February 6, 1921, the Yankees announced the purchase of 10 acres of property in the west Bronx. The land, purchased from the estate of William Waldorf Astor for $675,000, sat directly across the Harlem River from the Polo Grounds, where the Yankees' had played since 1913. On their newly acquired property, the Yankees would build the most famous ballpark in history.

As originally designed, Yankee Stadium was to feature three decks and a roof which completely encircled the playing field. However, ownership scaled back the plan such that the grandstand didn't quite extend to the foul poles. The left field grandstand was extended in 1928. In 1937, the right field grandstand was extended and concrete bleachers replaced the original wooden ones, bringing the stadium to its current configuration.

For forty years, Yankee Stadium was home to a steady stream of championship teams. Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig passed on their legacy to Joe DiMaggio and Phil Rizzuto, who then passed it on to Yogi Berra, Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris. So mighty were the Yankees, and such a draw was the team and its stadium, that by 1958 the the Giants and Dodgers, New York's other Major League Baseball teams, had moved to California. For four years, from 1958 through 1961, there was only one place to go to watch Major League Baseball in New York City.

However, in the late sixties, an uncharacteristic drought of Yankee championships befell the team. Meanwhile, the expansion Mets where playing and winning championships in the new Shea Stadium in Flushing Meadow. By the early seventies, Yankee Stadium had become an old and obsolete stadium in a decaying neighborhood hosting a mediocre team.

Renovations were made in 1966 and 1967, but more than that was needed. In 1972, the team sold their stadium to the city and signed a thirty year lease. During the 1974 and 1975 seasons, the Yankees played at Shea Stadium while the city made major renovations to Yankee Stadium. The many steel columns which supported the roof and upper decks were removed, and the upper decks were cantilevered over the lower deck. The original roof and its famous copper facade were removed and replaced with a smaller, more modern roof. The facade was replicated above the new scoreboard which ran the entire length of the bleachers.

The renovated Yankee Stadium opened with much fanfare in 1976, and the Yankees wasted no time living up to their "new" stadium. The team appeared in the World Series in each of the next three years, winning the fall classic twice. Players like Reggie Jackson, Catfish Hunter and Ron Guidry picked up where Mantle and Berra left off a decade earlier. Except for brief period in the early 1990s, the Yankees have always fielded winning teams since their ballpark was renovated. In the late 1990s and 2000s, the Yankees have been the team to beat, appearing in six World Series while winning four of them. A cavalcade of stars, including Derek Jeter and Roger Clemens, have graced Yankee Stadium during these years.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 12:25 PM

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 12:25 PM

some test seats in.....just a mok up.....

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 12:27 PM

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 12:35 PM

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 3:00 PM
Show me the blueprints

Has any of the facade gone up yet? I'm anxiously awaiting how it will look.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 8:55 PM

SO funny you would say that.....i was there today.....and they put ONE test peice up.....next time i go ill remember to bring a camera

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 9:13 PM
mmmmkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStudGuy View Post
SO funny you would say that.....i was there today.....and they put ONE test peice up.....next time i go ill remember to bring a camera
Are you involved with the precast on that project?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 1:00 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/07/ny...on&oref=slogin

Stadium Goes Up, but Bronx Still Seeks Benefits

The new Yankee Stadium, with a 2009 target date, is being built near the old one in the Bronx.

By TIMOTHY WILLIAMS
January 7, 2008

Several years ago, as the Yankees negotiated to build a new stadium in the South Bronx, the neighborhood faced the realities of a massive construction project in its midst: parks would be closed and moved, traffic would be horrendous, life would be, for a while, a hassle.

So, as one way to make up for these inconveniences, the Yankees and elected officials signed a community benefits agreement. It required that the team would give roughly $1.2 million a year, starting when the work began, to various community groups through a special panel. The deal was similar to agreements in other major projects, like Atlantic Yards in Brooklyn and Columbia University’s expansion into Harlem.

But nearly 17 months after construction began, as workers race to complete the new Yankee Stadium by opening day 2009, none of that money has been distributed, and the group responsible for administering it has never met.

The seven-member panel also has not chosen a permanent chairman, registered as a charity with either the Internal Revenue Service or the state attorney general’s office, or selected recipients for $800,000 in grants or $450,000 in free tickets, merchandise and athletic equipment.

Elected officials have complained that they are in the dark.

“I feel embarrassed because I don’t know anything about what’s going on,” said City Councilman G. Oliver Koppell, who represents the northwest Bronx. Mr. Koppell had suggested that the Bronx council members meet to discuss the agreement. “I was involved when we negotiated it, but I have not been involved since. I urged that we have a Bronx delegation review, but nothing’s happened.”

The Yankees say the community groups will get all of the money that they agreed to give according to the community benefits agreement, or C.B.A., including the first 17 months’ worth, once the panel meets. Alice T. McGillion, a team spokeswoman, said that the money was in an escrow account and that the club was not responsible for the delays.

“Please ask Bronx Boro President’s office about any delays in the fund and advisory panel being set up,” Ms. McGillion wrote by e-mail. “As the CBA specifically states the fund and its establishment is independent from the New York Yankees.”

The Bronx borough president, Adolfo Carrión Jr., has been “too busy” for the past three weeks to discuss the stadium fund in an interview, said his spokesman, Michael Murphy.
Last month, Mr. Carrión announced his candidacy for city comptroller in 2009. But Mr. Murphy wrote in an e-mail message that the process to release the money to community groups was moving along.

“There were many people deciding who would be the most appropriate candidates for the panel,” Mr. Murphy wrote, in explaining the delays. “It took time for people to look at the list and come to a consensus.”

The fund was part of the agreement and was to be established the day stadium construction started, Aug. 17, 2006, and distributed annually through 2046.

The agreements are enforceable by courts, but officials who normally ensure that the terms of a contract are carried out — such as the city comptroller — have no oversight because municipal money is not involved.

The agreement for Yankee Stadium was unusual, however, because it was not negotiated or signed by community members. It carries only the signatures of four elected officials, who said they were acting on behalf of the community, and a representative of the Yankees.

None of the officials who signed the agreement agreed to be interviewed for this article. The signatories were Mr. Carrión; Randy L. Levine, the president of the Yankees; and Bronx City Council members Maria Baez, Joel Rivera and Maria del Carmen Arroyo.

Mr. Murphy referred most questions related to the fund to the Yankees, or to the panel itself, but he would not disclose the names of its members, with the exception of the group’s acting chairman, Serafin U. Mariel.

Mr. Murphy would not say who had selected Mr. Mariel, 64, a Manhattan resident who is the former president and chief executive of New York National Bank.

Mr. Mariel, who, campaign finance records show, has donated to the candidacies of Mr. Carrión in the past, acknowledged that the group was far behind schedule. “It has taken some time to choose the advisory panel, but while some of that time has been lost, I don’t think any of the funding commitment will be lost,” Mr. Mariel said during a telephone interview last month.

“I am in the process now of arranging a meeting of panel members so they can meet each other and establish guidelines,” Mr. Mariel said.

Councilwoman Helen Diane Foster, who represents the High Bridge neighborhood and who opposed the stadium, said she had neither been briefed nor been asked for an opinion on the board. She said she had sent letters requesting information to Mr. Carrión and to council members Ms. Baez and Ms. del Carmen Arroyo without response. “I have no idea how people were selected to the panel,” she said. “It concerns me, but I’m also wise enough to know that a lot of people are hinging careers on how great this deal is, so I’m not surprised we haven’t had this conversation.”

However, Mr. Carrión’s spokesman, Mr. Murphy, said that the borough president was open to discussing the issue with other elected officials. “This process has been participatory since the beginning,” Mr. Murphy wrote via e-mail. “Every Bronx elected official can at any time address his or her concerns directly to the Borough President. He has an open door policy regarding addressing any concerns his colleagues might have.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoPrecaster View Post
Are you involved with the precast on that project?
no i work for a steel construction consultant......but i am there often enough to see the progress

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 6:58 PM

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 6:59 PM

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 7:03 PM
Show me the blueprints

VERY COOL. Whats the material used? Steel? Painted aluminum?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 3:51 PM

painted steel.....heavy solid, steel

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 9:57 PM
Closed account

Another one bites the dust There's only Fenway and Wrigley left.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 11:21 PM
Dutch Biscuit fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
Another one bites the dust There's only Fenway and Wrigley left.
You are right. As a Yankee fan I have my doubts about the necessity of this new stadium. Of course Yankee Stadium wasn't quite the same after the 1976 renovations, but still it was Yankee Stadium.

But I am glad that the name Yankee Stadium will remain and that the Yankees did not sell the naming rights to the highest bidding company.

I truly hope that the Red Sox and the Cubs will cherish their ball parks until the end of time.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 12:57 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01162008..._up_315369.htm

SIGN-ING UP
NAME SET AT YANKS' NEW PARK

By BILL SANDERSON
January 16, 2008

The House That Jeter Built has a new sign that unmistakably promises great baseball will be played there.

The words "Yankee Stadium," solidly etched in gold-leafed stone, were hoisted by crane onto the team's new South Bronx home this week.

And now there's rock-solid proof that unlike countless other sports teams that have given up stadium-naming rights to big corporations, Yankee tradition is not for sale.

The words appear on the façade of the stadium's 30,000- square-foot Gothic-style Grand Hall, which will be the main entranceway to the new ballpark and is expected to offer retail and restaurant space year-round.

"Yankee" went up Monday, and "Stadium" went up first thing yesterday morning, team officials said.

From the outside, the stadium's elegant limestone and granite façade will have the feel of the 1923 design of the original stadium - the House that Ruth Built - which for now still stands across the street.

Team officials were tight-lipped about the project yesterday, except to say construction is proceeding on schedule for Opening Day 2009.

But the progress on the $930 million stadium is evident: The steelwork appears mostly done, and the dimensions of the ballfield - about the same as the 1923 stadium - are now clear, as are the twin decks of the stands.

Enough construction work has been finished that employees of the team's media-relations office were able to visit the stadium's press box this week. It was during that visit that they saw workers hoisting the new sign, and took these pictures.

The new stadium will hold around 51,000 people - smaller than the current stadium's 57,000 capacity.

And while the look of the façade will be old-school, the stadium's interior will be thoroughly modern, with improved sightlines, high-tech signage and ample concessions and restrooms.

In the last few weeks, the city has moved ahead with plans to spend $238 million on new parking garages, which won't be complete until 2010, around the stadium. To the south of the site, work is proceeding on the big Bronx Terminal Market shopping mall.

And sometime amid the building of the new facilities, the old stadium - with all its tradition and memories - will be torn down.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 1:30 PM

i had heard rumor, that the old stadium would not be COMPLETELY torn down, but the field, and a small section of stands would be kept for a future minor league team?~

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 12:04 AM

Looks like a cool stadium.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStudGuy View Post
i had heard rumor, that the old stadium would not be COMPLETELY torn down, but the field, and a small section of stands would be kept for a future minor league team?~
I have heard this too.

The field and some stands will definitely be kept (this has been in all the official documents), but the minor league team is a rumor.

Anyone have details?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive