HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 5:35 PM

Hotel renderings and leasing books

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 7:51 PM

As great as this is, really unfortunate to hear Newport has been pushing back against dedicated lanes for the Summerhill BRT route which will pass by. If anything, they should want more people to be able to access by foot and transit, not cars!

Come on, Newport!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 5:09 AM

deleted

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 10:23 PM

Tech entrepreneurs acquire South Downtown development site

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...l?cx_testId=40
Quote:
A group of Atlanta entrepreneurs that pitched a mixed-use project centered around technology companies has purchased a potential development site near downtown's Castleberry Hill.

Urbantec Development Partners, led by Jae Kim and Suresh Sharma, bought the former 10-acre Gourmet Foods International headquarters for about $26 million, according to the firm that marketed the property for sale.

In 2019, Kim and Sharma led a group behind a concept called The Augury Square, a mixed-use project that aimed to foster innovation by clustering large and small tech companies amid housing, hospitality, shops and restaurants.

The purchase is the latest attempt to convert the city's industrial land in South Downtown where billions of dollars are pouring into projects such as the Mercedes Benz Stadium as well as future redevelopments like the Gulch.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 11:08 PM

Newport is planning over 1,000 residential units for the block south of 222 Mitchell Street.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMECcvKhCnU/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 12:10 AM

Newport does a lot of talking but no action.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 2:12 AM

Newport has done a ton of work in South downtown and renovated many buildings.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
Newport has done a ton of work in South downtown and renovated many buildings.
Yep. Before the shutdown I got to tour some of their work. These are *not* easy buildings to work with. The next time we get to do a real Phoenix Flies festival, a bunch of their stuff will be on tour. So glad they are saving these treasures for us!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
Yep. Before the shutdown I got to tour some of their work. These are *not* easy buildings to work with. The next time we get to do a real Phoenix Flies festival, a bunch of their stuff will be on tour. So glad they are saving these treasures for us!
Agreed. We just need them to lay off pushing for more street parking instead of dedicated lanes for Summerhill BRT.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 2:15 AM

I had forgotten that BRT route included Mitchell St. There will be more activity and population in the future but right now it seems like an odd choice.

Spending millions renovating some of the city's few remaining historic structures and bringing life back to what I believe will become a treasure for this city is a lot more than "no action" BTW. I'm thankful that Newport has a long term vision for the area rather than putting up some random, isolated project and moving on to the next deal.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 4:56 PM

Mitchell Street

I love especially the western section of Mitchell Street. I worked in the area when the bank (C&S/NationsBank/Bank of America) had a major operations center there and when Norfolk Southern was headquartered in the area.

Mitchell Street was full of activity - all day and late into the evening with the restaurants, cleaners, barbershops, boutiques, etc supporting the office workers and some residents. Fond memories. I'm glad Newport is preserving instead of demolishing because this area of Mitchell has beautiful scale for routine pedestrian activity and smaller business space.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 7:27 AM

One thing I am concerned about is that they may try to reach too far into appealing to an upper middle class professional class that ian't interested in south downtown. One thing that gives me hope they won't miss out on making the neighborhood better for the students is that they've got Atlanta University Center and GSU on their map.

There needs to be room for a continuation of the arts & music scene that was just getting started on South Broad. I also think, given the louder street atmosphere and industrial vibe, that brownstone-esque buildings with inner courtyards would be a good fit for residential- but unlike the ones they've built over in Glenwood, they need to be split into multiple units and not sold as 4 story single family homes.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
One thing I am concerned about is that they may try to reach too far into appealing to an upper middle class professional class that ian't interested in south downtown. One thing that gives me hope they won't miss out on making the neighborhood better for the students is that they've got Atlanta University Center and GSU on their map.

There needs to be room for a continuation of the arts & music scene that was just getting started on South Broad. I also think, given the louder street atmosphere and industrial vibe, that brownstone-esque buildings with inner courtyards would be a good fit for residential- but unlike the ones they've built over in Glenwood, they need to be split into multiple units and not sold as 4 story single family homes.
South Downtown has the highest zoning permission in Atlanta and one of the highest in the entire country. It's not going to be low-rise buildings.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 12:49 AM

Also they have to gear the project to whomever will make it viable and renovating a bunch of 100 year old buildings is not cheap.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 9:27 PM

Newport plans to demolish a portion of downtown's 222 Mitchell Street

https://media.bizj.us/view/img/11534...-110816-am.png
Quote:
The developer of a $100 million project that would transform a collection of historic, hulking buildings at 222 Mitchell Street into office and retail space has filed plans to demolish a portion of the site.

Newport, the German real estate company that owns the property, says it needs to raze a 1-story accessory building and 3-story parking deck totaling just over 7,300 square feet. The dilapidated buildings face Nelson Street. Cost to demolish the buildings is $175,000.

The demolition does not include the historic buildings at 222 Mitchell that once housed a data processing center and executive offices of former financial giant Nations Bank.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 10:41 PM

222 Mitchell

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
yes yes yes. Again, yes. That footage of a finished Hotel Row and the front of 222 is nice!

What's the timetable for this?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 2:38 AM

Wow! That rooftop area will be an instant hit.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhunkyPho View Post

What's the timetable for this?
These retail spaces in Hotel Row are currently being marketed to potential tenants. There will also be 18 boutique condos above the retail.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 1:13 AM

Newport announces two new tenants for Hotel Row

Quote:
The team behind How Crispy Express is bringing a splashy new food destination to 235 Mitchell Street.⁠⁠
⁠⁠
The How Crispy team fell in love with the historic buildings along Hotel Row, and specifically the original tilework of the Imperial Fruit Company. ⁠⁠
⁠⁠
How Crispy has operated a wildly successful pop-up in Summerhill over the past year and plans to open a brick-and-mortar in that same space later this summer.⁠⁠
⁠⁠

⁠⁠
Quote:
⁠⁠Slater Hospitality is the team behind Atlanta favorites 9 Mile Station, 12 cocktail bar, Skyline Park is bringing a neighborhood pizza shop and underground cocktail bar to 221 Mitchell Street.

The small pizza shop will offer inside counter service and will serve large square slices from a walk-up window for guests on the go. Pizza lovers will be able to customize their slices with a selection of rotating toppings. We only wish they were open already! Slater's new South Dwntn endeavor will deliver, paying homage to Mandy Slater’s Italian family history.⁠⁠
⁠⁠
https://www.instagram.com/p/CP5yCiPpTEA/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta