HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogdenman36 View Post
What a run Chicago has had. Do you or anyone have the redesigned scaled down of this or is the 1st page ok? Thanks!
I would imagine that the rendering on One Chicago's own web site is the most current design: https://liveonechicago.com/ . It looks fairly similar to the one on the 1st page of this thread, but with a few of the highest floors eliminated. As a result it's no longer a supertall, just a near-supertall.

Now that Vista has topped out, this is the next skyscraper for us Midwesterners to follow!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 2:31 PM

the one story dry cleaner's building fascinates me. what are they going to do with that property that is worth more that selling to the developers of these high rises?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
the one story dry cleaner's building fascinates me. what are they going to do with that property that is worth more that selling to the developers of these high rises?
Keep running their dry-cleaning business.

It is pretty fascinating. Agreed.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 6:58 PM

^I would think the dry cleaner and restaurant are tenants (someone who knows how to look this kind of thing up in public records could weigh in)... did you ever see the Neflix show Ozark? Two cash businesses in the lone holdout property. The land must be worth nothing now. Plus it is Chicago after all. Just sayin.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
Keep running their dry-cleaning business.

It is pretty fascinating. Agreed.
yes well nothing is fascinating about the dry cleaning business. I was just describing the specific piece of real estate.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
^I would think the dry cleaner and restaurant are tenants (someone who knows how to look this kind of thing up in public records could weigh in)... did you ever see the Neflix show Ozark? Two cash businesses in the lone holdout property. The land must be worth nothing now. Plus it is Chicago after all. Just sayin.
My comment was made under the assumption that they owned the building. Some people, as crazy as it sounds, aren't always motivated by money. Who know's, maybe the person's dad built the building and he loves to dry clean for the neighborhood. Just saying. We've seen this in history before. (*please post the picture of the two story house sandwiched between monster high rises)

Last thing...nobody knows what the offer to these folks was. You never know, could have been average.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
My comment was made under the assumption that they owned the building. Some people, as crazy as it sounds, aren't always motivated by money. Who know's, maybe the person's dad built the building and he loves to dry clean for the neighborhood. Just saying. We've seen this in history before. (*please post the picture of the two story house sandwiched between monster high rises)

Last thing...nobody knows what the offer to these folks was. You never know, could have been average.
I know a guy in San Francisco who works alone and has an auto shop on Divisadero Street thats woth millions but he wont sell because he wants to leave the land to his daughter. It happens. He mostly sits and reads lol

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 3:24 AM

Nov 04

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 1:18 AM

Email sent out from Alderman Hopkins today:

Subject: One Chicago Square: Large Concrete Pour Planned for November 9

Dear Neighbor,

As the One Square Chicago Project continues, please be aware that this Saturday, November 9, 2019, Power Construction will engage in a large, continuous concrete foundation pour at the site. Workers will begin staging four concrete pumps and other equipment at 4:30 AM, with the first concrete placement expected to begin at 5:45 AM.

The operation consists of 40 concrete trucks lining up throughout the course of the day to pour 3,500 cubic yards of concrete. The concrete pour is expected to take 10 to 12 hours to complete, with an additional hour for cleanup. Sweepers and vacuum trucks will be actively deployed to mitigate dust and dirt on the streets.

Flaggers will be posted on each of the four corners of the site for the duration of the event for pedestrian safety and traffic congestion mitigation. Concrete trucks will approach the site from Superior Avenue, north onto Dearborn, and will traverse the site clockwise to one of the four staging areas designated for each of the four pumps onsite.

Power Construction has secured the approval and proper permits for these plans from the Chicago Department of Transportation, which will also include street and sidewalk closures for the day.

Should you have any questions, please send an email to the 2nd Ward Service Office (Ward02@cityofchicago.org) or call (312) 643-2299.

Sincerely, Alderman Brian Hopkins
2nd Ward

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 1:21 AM

wow

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombardier View Post
saturday, november 9, 2019, .... The first concrete placement expected to begin at 5:45 am.
ty !

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 3:26 AM

Salivating waiting for the pics

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 3:57 PM

That's insane.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 2:54 AM

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/resi...ross-holy-name

November 06, 2019 02:10 PM UPDATED AN HOUR AGO

Here's the first look inside those high-end condos going up across from Holy Name

Homes in the 75-story tower portion of One Chicago will be priced up to $28 million.

DENNIS RODKIN

Quote:
Waking up with the sunrise will be easy for residents in a luxurious condo tower under construction near Holy Name Cathedral. They can do it on their own schedule, because the bedroom lights will be programmed to fade up like a sunrise, and fade down like a sunset.

The gentle light transitions, a circadian rhythm-derived feature of the condos’ built-in Delos wellness package, is one of the many niceties that developer JDL is putting into the 77 condos at its One Chicago project.

The sales effort, already underway quietly, is ramping up this month, with Nancy Tassone of Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty leading it. Ahead of that, Crain’s got a first walk-through of the sales center at 908 N. Halsted with Jim Letchinger, JDL’s principal.

The condos, priced from just under $1.68 million to $28 million—it’s the only one offered at over $11.5 million—will be in the upper 30 stories of a 75-story tower at State and Superior Streets. The lower floors of that tower and all of a 48-story tower at Chicago Avenue and Dearborn Street will have a combined 735 apartments. Asking rents on the apartments won’t be announced until leasing begins.

Quote:
On balconies, which are only on floors where the building’s profile narrows, the railings will be seven-foot walls of glass, which both keep from blocking the view and, Letchinger said, minimize wind whipping around on the balconies.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:32 PM

Why I have a feeling tribune has some competition with vista and OCS when it comes to views these pics are nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post

November 06, 2019 02:10 PM UPDATED AN HOUR AGO

Here's the first look inside those high-end condos going up across from Holy Name

Homes in the 75-story tower portion of One Chicago will be priced up to $28 million.

DENNIS RODKIN

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 9:09 PM

Nov 8th

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 3:59 AM

Anyone going to be around the site tomorrow AM?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
Yes... Probably about 7 or 8 and will probably be back about 1.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
Yes - probably after 8 - with kids and dog

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 4:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
That's insane.
even for the surface area of this site I think there have been bigger sq yards mats pored in the last few years. For the size of the site its not a supper big pour. the Anyone can correct me if I am wrong.

And all of them do go pretty fast. Amazing logistics and always get done on one calendar day.

Vista had hundreds of concreate trucks for a 4K pour.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/2/3/...-concrete-pour

Trump international had a 5K pour.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifes...t03-story.html

Now this is a gigantic pour, one of the largest in the world in LA in 2014

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ks-los-angeles

… the foundation's concrete was dumped into the hole in one continuous pour – 21,200 cubic yards (16,200 cubic metres) of concrete dumped by 2,120 trucks over a 26-hour period, enough to earn the event a Guinness World Record. The continuous pour turned out to be the most economical way to fill the hole, according to Chris Martin, lead architect of the Wilshire Grand project, from LA-based firm AC Martin.

But pouring this much concrete at once is no small task. From sourcing the concrete and materials, to closing the streets, to keeping the concrete cool enough to set, the procedure is indicative of the technical evolution of building massive buildings. "You've never seen anything like this," says Martin. "I never have."

there has to be a reason such a large pour was done in LA probably due to geography and tectonics. But it also probably had record rebar too because if your trying to survive the gig one it could help. But if the big one does happen it could mitigate serious damage. The real earthquake threat is worst in the Cascadia subduction zone though.

San Fran had a 12k pour too.

https://www.wired.com/2015/11/it-too...te-foundation/

I cant find the pours of the Sears Tower, JHB, or the Aon building.

If anyone can find them and share it would be grand.

Last edited by bnk; Nov 9, 2019 at 4:58 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive