HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 8:02 AM
video et taceo

I love those Fisher-Price trains in Glasgow. There is something deeply Anglo about all this, some DNA sequence that prevents one from learning foreign languages or taking trains seriously.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 8:33 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Yep, it's called an "alcohol sweater".

Same exact thing with those drunk shirtless fans you see at american football games in the wintertime.

The alcohol doesn't actually make one feel warmer, just oblivious to the cold.
Yep, every time a blizzard hits the north a couple of people die from exposure, it's usually a girl in a mini skirt, heels and a boob tube, ploughing through a 4 ft drift a few dozen feet from her door.

Last edited by muppet; Apr 19, 2021 at 10:13 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 10:24 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Why is it that every time you look at a map of a British city, it looks like a wad of hair you've pulled out of the drain? Is there a record somewhere of how many people were imprisoned and tortured at the Tower of London for attempting to plan an urban area?
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Why is it that every time you look at a map of a British city, it looks like a wad of hair you've pulled out of the drain? Is there a record somewhere of how many people were imprisoned and tortured at the Tower of London for attempting to plan an urban area?

That is such a sweet image, the wad of hair, you must have fished for it a while.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 10:59 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
That is such a sweet image, the wad of hair, you must have fished for it a while.
Oh no, not at all. My hair is halfway down my back (it was to my waist before I got a haircut on Friday)... I don't have to fish for hair in my drains at all. All I have to do is grab the strands that are already sticking out and give a tug. In no time at all I pull up another map of a British city with roads going everywhichway, tangling, knotting, coming apart before coming back together again and so on. I feel that if I dyed my hair a few bright colors, I might be able to pull up a map complete with the metro lines overlaid on the streets.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:57 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I love those Fisher-Price trains in Glasgow. There is something deeply Anglo about all this, some DNA sequence that prevents one from learning foreign languages or taking trains seriously.

tumblr.com

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 5:21 PM

Olde York City (OYC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
York's a beautiful medieval town (technically a cathedral 'city' thanks to the presence of one), pop 200,000.

Other than the aforementioned attractions, it's also famous for its Viking history (Jorvik museum and festivals) as it was invaded in 866 by Ivar the Boneless to have a new country set up under 'Danelaw'. Also for getting flooded every winter, and an infamous hotel that is suprisingly cheap and classy -till you find out it's above a banging nightclub. Yorkshire people are 'celebrated' for their honesty, charm and friendliness, which to southerners means they're loud, obnoxious and rude. They have a high incidence of Sandinavian (blondes) and African DNA, thanks to the invasions from Denmark and Imperial Rome.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Newcastle isn't a cool city. It's depressing as hell. Maybe some interesting blocks, but it seemed like a living set for Trainspotting or a Morrissey video.

Nottingham seemed kinda blah, not really touristy but a reasonably pleasant place to live. I think that Sherwood Forest must have been plowed over centuries ago, though. The Nottingham area seemed to be mostly farmland.
“Forest” in the traditional English sense, Sherwood Forest included, does not actually refer to a wooded area covered with trees as one might expect.

https://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/forest.htm
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
“Forest” in the traditional English sense, Sherwood Forest included, does not actually refer to a wooded area covered with trees as one might expect.

https://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/forest.htm
Interesting. I always thought that England had so few forests because, for whatever reason, they were removed for agriculture at a greater rate than in, say Germany or France.

I don't think England was more heavily populated, historically. But maybe England was never heavily forested, or at least not since the Middle Ages.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 8:03 PM
Future God

I've never been to the north of the UK, unfortunately, but as mid-sized cities go I very much enjoyed my brief time in Bristol, Portsmouth, and Cardiff.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Interesting. I always thought that England had so few forests because, for whatever reason, they were removed for agriculture at a greater rate than in, say Germany or France.

I don't think England was more heavily populated, historically. But maybe England was never heavily forested, or at least not since the Middle Ages.
A lot of the north of England is moorland and trees only really grow in the valleys. The south was historically more heavily wooded, but not like Germany or France, and with hardwoods not the (faster-growing) pines of those counties. Lastly, England has been a naval power for a long time and most of its tall trees were probably turned into ship masts.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 7:43 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:

St James' has a grid plan. The architect slept with the authorities one by one to get it.

South Kensington too, by royal decree and a German prince with fancy ideas about straight roads and whatnot

the squares of Bloomsbury (at right), where the writers and intellectuals glided about

Fitzrovia where despite the density it's an empty blackspot on the map, where the rich go to get bored

And of course Canary Wharf, a Canadian implant

www.constructionenquirer.com

The rest is a dog's dinner, of giant hairballs

https://static.standard.co.uk

Last edited by muppet; Apr 22, 2021 at 3:43 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 7:46 AM
if I sang out of tune

Edinburgh New Town too, never sent a soul to the Tower

www.webbaviation.co.u

www.etag.org.uk

Past the castle though and it starts to go tits up

www.edinburgharchitecture.co.uk

www.singerviellesales.com

Last edited by muppet; Apr 20, 2021 at 8:52 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 1:15 PM

Incredible thread and idea! Let's do some more random cities in the future yall.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 5:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The evil sherriff of NOTT

And of course, Friar Tuck
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 5:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

jokes aside, very nice looking place.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
jokes aside, very nice looking place.
I suspect you'd be disappointed on the ground.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 11:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I did a double take when I saw some of the aerials, thinking to myself: "that looks like Edinburgh" when in fact there were shots of Edinburgh (which I visited with my family in 2019).

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Oh no, not at all. My hair is halfway down my back (it was to my waist before I got a haircut on Friday)... I don't have to fish for hair in my drains at all. All I have to do is grab the strands that are already sticking out and give a tug. In no time at all I pull up another map of a British city with roads going everywhichway, tangling, knotting, coming apart before coming back together again and so on. I feel that if I dyed my hair a few bright colors, I might be able to pull up a map complete with the metro lines overlaid on the streets.
That's inspiring!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 12:50 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
That's inspiring!
Dare to dream.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions