HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 7:20 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Doesn’t really matter what they’re called. They’re the same thing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7490...7i16384!8i8192
what the heck the sidewalk completely disappears for patches going up and down a few blocks. Interesting to compare the various Hyde Park neighborhoods in major US cities!

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 7:29 AM

Here are some of the earliest in Houston. They have single-car garages, too.
https://goo.gl/maps/5u1v2G6mei93z52n6

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Interesting to compare the various Hyde Park neighborhoods in major US cities!
Comparing this to Hype Park in Chicago is depressing. Not interesting. Stop gloating!

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 7:46 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Comparing this to Hype Park in Chicago is depressing. Not interesting. Stop gloating!
Well, HP Chicago has lost some of its character over the last 10 years or so (certainly pretty different from 2014-2015 when I lived there for a year...). But there are so many Hyde Parks in the US! Austin, Boston, Cincinnati, Tampa, LA, Boise, Kansas City, St. Louis...

And the Houston Hyde Park might be the most affluent (except maybe Austin? I don't know). And you don't have hideous urban renewal monstrosities like these: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7950...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 4:06 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Well, HP Chicago has lost some of its character over the last 10 years or so (certainly pretty different from 2014-2015 when I lived there for a year...). But there are so many Hyde Parks in the US! Austin, Boston, Cincinnati, Tampa, LA, Boise, Kansas City, St. Louis...

And the Houston Hyde Park might be the most affluent (except maybe Austin? I don't know). And you don't have hideous urban renewal monstrosities like these: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7950...7i16384!8i8192
Austin’s Hyde Park, although regionally known for being a pocket of high wealth, is not what it used to be.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 4:22 PM

Cincinnati's Hyde Park is the city's richest neighborhood, and probably the second richest neighborhood in the metro behind suburban Indian Hill.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 6:03 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Well, HP Chicago has lost some of its character over the last 10 years or so (certainly pretty different from 2014-2015 when I lived there for a year...

you don't have hideous urban renewal monstrosities like these: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7950...7i16384!8i8192
yeah, chicago's Hyde Park certainly has its fair share of god-awful urban "renewal" ugly stick moments.

but then only 2 blocks from that streetview you posted, there's this gorgeous scene of utterly classic chicago residential side-street goodness:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7967...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 6:04 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
what the heck the sidewalk completely disappears for patches going up and down a few blocks. Interesting to compare the various Hyde Park neighborhoods in major US cities!
Houston until about 70 or so years ago was pretty small and underdeveloped with neighborhoods firmly inside the loop today considered far flung and semi-country around WW2. The River Oaks area deep inside the Loop was at the edge of town in the 40's and probably reason why many areas lack sidewalks (and have drainage ditches). All new construction and development requires them hence the patchwork. My neighborhood (early 70's) lacks sidewalks but was built before Houston annexed it.

Quote:
Has there been any thought of commuter rail between Houston and Galveston? It looks like Galveston has a very nice historic Train Station right on the Strand: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.3065...7i16384!8i8192 with trolley tracks to the beach and UTMB in front of it...

I guess the problem is where it would go on the Houston end...
Yes and there was actually one years ago and there's been talk about being it back but a lot of politics and red tape.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 6:31 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Cincinnati's Hyde Park is the city's richest neighborhood, and probably the second richest neighborhood in the metro behind suburban Indian Hill.
wow, looks really nice!

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:10 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Yes and there was actually one years ago and there's been talk about being it back but a lot of politics and red tape.
Right there was surely rail service in the pre-interstate era, but was there any in the last 50 years?

Looking at the map the key problem is where it would stop in Houston... the current Amtrak stop is not in a great place and not easily accessible anymore from the line to Galveston without re-instating some track.

If I were in charge, I'd move the Houston train station to underneath the UH-Downtown main building (https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7652...7i16384!8i8192 ) , and add a rail connection from approximately here: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7666...7i16384!8i8192 to here: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7676...7i16384!8i8192

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I bet a regular rail service between that relocated downtown station and Galveston would actually do quite well (intermediate stops at EaDo, Pecan Park, South Houston, Southpoint / Sam Houston Tollway, Webster, League City, Dickinson, Texas City / La Marque).

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Oh my stars!

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
Oh my stars!
I mean you can make fun of him pointing this fact out, but it's really fucking strange to see this type of shit in an 'urban' neighborhood:

No sidewalk on either side of the street, less than a block off a commercial corridor. Houston is a great advertisement for the importance of city planning and zoning. Its public realm is a hot mess.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:51 PM

Quote:
I mean you can make fun of him pointing this fact out, but it's really fucking strange to see this type of shit in an 'urban' neighborhood:

No sidewalk on either side of the street, less than a block off a commercial corridor. Houston is a great advertisement for the importance of city planning and zoning. Its public realm is a hot mess.
Big time. What a mess. How is one supposed to walk anywhere?

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 5:05 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Right exurban areas with low traffic can maybe get away with people just walking on the side of the road but for a city it's very strange. Unless those are taken to be woonerfs?

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 5:07 PM

It's also weird because there is plenty of space to create a sidewalk. I'm surprised this doesn't break some ADA regulations?

A few years ago Detroit got sued and had to make sure that sidewalks were installed properly throughout the city. They also had to install curb cuts uniformly. Because of that you'll see brand new sidewalks through neighborhoods that have been heavily abandoned.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 5:10 PM

Quote:

Houston is playing catch-up after the negligence of its past leaders.

City Council Sets New Rules Aimed At Creating Walkable, Transit-Friendly Streets

Three Houston neighborhoods will be included in a pilot program as the city unveils new development standards that emphasize alternative transportation.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...endly-streets/

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 5:33 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Right there was surely rail service in the pre-interstate era, but was there any in the last 50 years?
I don't think so. Track is still there but I think there is a lot of politics and business interests preventing a commuter rail from being introduced.

UHD is prone to flooding so using the lower level as a terminus would be problematic.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
It's also weird because there is plenty of space to create a sidewalk. I'm surprised this doesn't break some ADA regulations?

A few years ago Detroit got sued and had to make sure that sidewalks were installed properly throughout the city. They also had to install curb cuts uniformly. Because of that you'll see brand new sidewalks through neighborhoods that have been heavily abandoned.
Lots of cities have maintenance of the sidewalk the responsibility of the property owner, rather than the city. It's like that here in Pittsburgh. Thankfully in 99% of cases in any urban neighborhood the sidewalks were put in long ago, but you will find busted-up sidewalks which haven't been fixed for decades in front of some houses.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post

Same with the city of LA... yet another parallel between the two lol

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 8:42 PM

Quote:

No props for the bike lanes?!?

I doubt the fine people of River Oaks (detached SFH neighborhood, old money, that you decided to choose the location of) really care there are no sidewalks along a section that would never see pedestrian activity. The help have a bus stop with sidewalks leading into the old money neighborhood. I would say this particular section was designed so there are only a few entrances where people can walk in and out of this exclusive neighborhood.

Its public realm is inconsistent based on the neighborhood. It's also a sunbelt city that had a ton of inner city growth because people like what it offers.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions