HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 1:30 AM

Humber Bay and Mississauga City Centre Skylines

Last edited by Nite; Oct 29, 2020 at 2:03 AM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
I was curious about the above tower cluster and amazed to find that its literally in the middle of nowhere. The closest heavy rail station (with infrequent service) is a 30-minute walk away. How did such high intensity development ever secure planning permission?
Simple, there is a lot of demand for inexpensive housing relatively close to downtown Toronto. Humber bay is also only half built out currently, many more towers will be going in here.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 1:40 AM

A closer look at Mississauga City Centre Skyline

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread....25827/page-22

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 2:19 AM

Small but growing Don Mills and Sheppard (Fairview Mall) skyline

Last edited by Nite; Oct 30, 2020 at 10:00 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 8:23 PM

Closer to Leslie. Bayview/Sheppard is home to those NY Towers atrocities.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Closer to Leslie. Bayview/Sheppard is home to those NY Towers atrocities.
Don mill actually, just made the correction

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 10:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
A closer look at Mississauga City Centre Skyline

congrats to whomever bought a condo in that complex between the towers, they're high fiving themselves!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 11:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

life in the fishbowl

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Don mill actually, just made the correction
Yes, I see that now. I thought that was a pic of the buildings next to Ikrappa and Crappy Tire at Leslie. They all look similarly banal, which is to say not inspired, but not offensive eyesores like the NY Towers.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 5:04 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Etobicoke City Centre is actually at Islington and Bloor, but it looks like it will be merging with the kipling station skyline soon
Ok, that makes more sense. Something was off and I couldn't figure out what.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Simple, there is a lot of demand for inexpensive housing relatively close to downtown Toronto. Humber bay is also only half built out currently, many more towers will be going in here.
I don’t think anyone can argue against wanting inexpensive housing, but it has to be viable and built in sensible locations. Is it really accurate to say that this is close to downtown Toronto when the distance is 11km and the tram takes 45-minutes? The GO station doesn’t even sound like it is definitely going to materialise, and with just a 4tph frequency? I think the shock is that I don’t think I’ve seen such incredible over-development for such a poorly connected project in the developed world.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 1:11 AM

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 2:07 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
I don’t think anyone can argue against wanting inexpensive housing, but it has to be viable and built in sensible locations. Is it really accurate to say that this is close to downtown Toronto when the distance is 11km and the tram takes 45-minutes? The GO station doesn’t even sound like it is definitely going to materialise, and with just a 4tph frequency? I think the shock is that I don’t think I’ve seen such incredible over-development for such a poorly connected project in the developed world.
I think that 4tph is ok for that distance, especially when (or if) the line is electrified since the extra speed from the higher acceleration combined with the low number of stops would really makes up for the lack of frequency. If there was a subway, TTC subway lines tends to have an average of 1 stop per km which would make for 11 stops. Yet there would only be one other stop between there and Union (it doesn't always stop at Exhibition but there's also proposed Spadina station). At an average of 32km/h it would take a subway about 21 min to cover 11km. As it is now, it takes the GO train a scheduled 16 min to go from Mimico to Union but park lawn is over a km closer and electrification would increase speed further. The downside is that the extra stops offered by a subway would be helpful for someone not going directly to the financial district but then there's still the streetcar. Plus the Ontario Line is supposed to have a stop at Exhibition allowing for easy transfers. Would be nice if it was extended further west perhaps.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 2:34 AM

Yonkers NY

Yonker's Riverfront by Brian Logan, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Yes, I see that now. I thought that was a pic of the buildings next to Ikrappa and Crappy Tire at Leslie. They all look similarly banal, which is to say not inspired, but not offensive eyesores like the NY Towers.
NY Towers are kitschy but I dont see how anyone can prefer vast expanses of window-wall, balconies and exposed concrete under the balconies , exposed concrete pillars etc. Like the vertical version of an industrial park!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2020, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
NY Towers are kitschy but I dont see how anyone can prefer vast expanses of window-wall, balconies and exposed concrete under the balconies , exposed concrete pillars etc. Like the vertical version of an industrial park!
Terribly kitschy (i.e. flamboyantly ugly), while the others are merely functional. Neither is what one really wants, but I prefer something boringly utilitarian to something that screams out, "Look at what plastic, gaudy schlock I am!"

The audacity and poor taste, to imitate the Chrysler Building, badly and with the cheapest of materials, and in such a conspicuous spot right along the 401.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2020, 7:18 PM

Let's not forget the cities of kitsch...

Dubai

Link
Vegas

Emporis

Old Posted Nov 8, 2020, 7:41 PM

^Yeah, horrible, no doubt.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 3:15 PM

Mississauga and a few other GTA skylines in the distance - Summer 2019 Drone Video
Video Link

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I think that 4tph is ok for that distance, especially when (or if) the line is electrified since the extra speed from the higher acceleration combined with the low number of stops would really makes up for the lack of frequency.
The station appears to be an aspiration, but that is beside the point, even if built, 4tph for such a high-density cluster is just bizarre from a transport modelling and planning perspective.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions