HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 5:18 AM
Fourth and Main

Bailey South:
New renderings and "before" photographs of this project, starting construction this month, in downtown's IQ District. This is part of the multi-building Bailey Power Plant project. The historic 23-1 power plant building from 1926 will become a two-storey retail structure and the developer will construct a new six-storey office building on the back side of the historic building. If you're interested in leasing retail or office space in this project, call: (336) 724-1715. I'm not sure how much space is still available, so call today, if you're interested.

Renderings

Skylight & Entry Staircase:

Credit: WFIQ

Elevators for office floors:

"Before" Photographs of Bailey Power Plant Building 23-1

Skylight:

Skylight:

The last two historic buildings at the Bailey Power Plant Complex waiting for adaptive-reuse as retail (You can also see the "Low Line" project):

This should be an awesome project to follow on this thread! Completion is set for December 1, 2019, with tenants moving-in in January 2020.

Your City

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 5:46 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Yes, this is the city seen on "12 cities poised for a real estate investment boom." It's a fun time to post on Winston-Salem development!

Video Link

Hotel Indigo:
According to the developer, Hotel Indigo will open around January 21, 2019.

The construction elevator is no longer needed and workers are filling-in the last windows on the upper floors:

Credit: vincerabil

Courtyard by Marriott - Downtown:

Crane for the new Courtyard Hotel:

Credit: publicmedianc

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:

See the progress on the brick work from the parking deck behind the building:

Credit: miguelcruz6442

Merschel Park:
Workers are digging 17 feet / 5.2 metres down for the underground parking structure, which will use car lifts to stack automobiles above each other.

Excavation for underground parking:

Bonds Passed:
Thank you for passing the bonds! A funding source is now in place for several cycling and park projects, along with the major downtown streetscape transformation! It should be fun to follow these projects! Most of the cycling projects are centered on bicycle commuting into downtown from the surrounding neighborhoods.

500 West Fifth:

Credit: tannerlutheran

Winston Junction:

The beadboard in the live music venue was salvaged from a 200 year-old church in the Tennessee mountains:

Credit: earlsws

This popular sign will be relocated to Winston Junction:

Credit: lmi.builders

Crawford Condominiums:
A sign was installed on the construction fence for this condominium and retail project. It appears to have changed names, but I'm not really sure at this point? It could be an ad for luxury living with a view of the park and not an actual name change? I think Mayfair on 4th is the name for the entire two hotel, condo building, retail, office, and park development? I will continue to use the name on the developer's website until I know for sure the project has changed names. The details are still the same: 32 luxury condominiums and a restaurant space. Though the sign says 2019, the project is said to be under construction right now and will open in January 2020. I'm guessing the weather is pushing back these projects?

Credit: Will May

First Baptist Church Restoration:

Credit: piedmonttriadliving

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:

Credit: thegregbrady89

Credit: carrera_noal

Two-in-One - Link Apartments and The Low Line projects:

Credit: cssdywht

Your City

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 6:26 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Yes, this is the city seen in Pharmaceutical Executive Magazine!

Winter weather arrives in November in Winston-Salem and tonight we have freezing rain!
Video Link

Southside Graffiti - Winston-Salem updates are usually at night, too:

Credit: isaac_gibbs

Hotel Indigo:
Due to the rain, there aren't any photographs from the construction site. We do have photographs from the Winston-Salem company designing and manufacturing the chairs for the hotel rooms. Yes, this local small business is designing and making the chairs here in Winston-Salem. 100% local!

Chair fabric:

Credit: copperhead.studio

Making chairs for the hotel rooms (They are making these chairs right here in Winston-Salem!):

Credit: copperhead.studio

Made in Winston-Salem! Locally made furniture for Hotel Indigo:

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

Aerial view:

Credit: shadowboi59

This project could start on the second floor in the next week or two?

Progress on the first floor:

Credit: CRA

A look at the crane:

Credit: vintage.camera.guy

Merschel Park:

Rain is slowing-down excavation for the underground parking:

Banners on the fence advertise the two hotels, office space, condominium building, and park under construction at this site:

Credit: samflowerslsa

They couldn't move the newspaper boxes to the other side of their construction fence?

Credit: boweneros

Robert Hall Brewing Company:
This neon-themed brewery, sharing the history of downtown Winston-Salem in neon signs, will be the most awesome theme for a brewery in the Carolinas. I already want to go to this new brewery just to see these vintage signs from downtown's history!

Another sign they found in the building to restore for the neon-themed brewery (was originally on North Trade Street in the 1940s & 50s):

Credit: Industry Hill

You can see the sign lit in this 1950s photograph of North Trade Street, looking South from Fifth Street:

Credit: Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Public Library

Bailey Power Plant Complex:
New office tenant at Bailey Power Plant: Renfro Corp., which designs and makes socks for Fruit of the Loom, Polo Ralph Lauren, and New Balance, has leased office space in Bailey Power Plant for their new innovation center. Renfro has created new executive positions for this innovation center and is creating a graphic design team with a focus on design excellence. They are also hiring to create digital, e-commerce, and consumer engagement teams at Bailey Power Plant. Renfro expects this office to grow rapidly, as they also launch two new brands. There is a possibility the company may move their corporate headquarters to Winston-Salem and downtown's IQ District. Their decision to select Winston-Salem and downtown's IQ District for their new innovation center was based on proximity to incubators, CIC / Venture Cafe, and the region's universities, such as Wake Forest University, WSSU, Salem College, and UNC School of the Arts. The CEO views downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District as a perfect fit for what they are trying to do in transforming the company.

Business N.C., Magazine has recognized Bailey Power Plant as the Best Renovation Project in North Carolina in their 2018 Building North Carolina awards. Half of the project was completed in February and the other half is just starting construction this month.

An update on Cugino Forno Neapolitan Pizza Restaurant in Bailey Power Plant:

Credit: lmi.builders

Winston Junction:

This massive glass firehouse door and two side doors will lead to a vendor/market area workers are now constructing:

Credit: industryhillwsnc

West End Station Apartments:

Credit: westendstationapts

Bowman Gray Stadium Renovation:
The city will keep the 1930s stadium and is planning a $9 million renovation of the Art Deco sports facility. Look for new signage, a resurfaced track, new restrooms & concession stands, refurbished field house, new seating, renovated ticket booths, new landscaping, a regraded football field, a major renovation of the press boxes, and a new high-capacity Wi-Fi system.

Bailey South:

Yes, it's under construction! I'll add it to our first page construction list:

Credit: organnick

Credit: winstonwatchman

Credit: tomsofield

Alternative Transportation:

East-West Expressway Demolition:
The 1955 expressway will be closed on November 17 for demolition. Yes, the expressway will be demolished! Both the highway and bridges will be demolished. This is expected to send more traffic into the downtown area, so be prepared. The demolition of the expressway will also begin construction on several fun bike, pedestrian, and bridge projects on our first post list, such as the land bridge and bicycle commuter path with flyovers where two bike paths will merge.

Testing temporary electronic signs before they are sent to downtown Winston-Salem:

Credit: carolina_traffic_devices

North-South Rail Transit System:

This is part of the dedicated ROW rail line they plan to reuse for the light rail system:

Credit: kayla_graceann

Off-Subject:

Credit: penny.converse

A new mural:

Credit: caitlinp

Your City

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:36 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

We have two new projects to follow in today's update!

And there is an exciting highway demolition project in today's update!
Video Link

Hotel Indigo:

Brickwork is almost completed on the stair tower:

Hotel Indigo and Hyatt Place projects:

The Hyatt Place Hotel and office space project have slowed, due to rain.

Moulding for bar front panels:

This hotel will be in walking distance to restaurants, bars, and, yes... bookstores:

Credit: jamiersouthern

Preparing to start on the second floor:

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Merschel Park:

Fishel Steel Building:
The Pope Companies already started design work for the adaptive-reuse of the former Fishel Steel Building, near Main & Sixth streets. STITCH Design Shop is the architect. I think it's an office project, but I'm not sure? I guess we will know more, soon, including the use? #CityOfAdaptiveReuse

Winston Junction:
This live music venue for singer-songwriters and Americana music, with restaurant and bar, is now open! It was designed by an award-winning Los Angeles design firm, with experience working on well-known entertainment venues. It's at 121 West Ninth Street, in the corner tenant space at Winston Junction. Since this is just one tenant in the larger multi-tenant Winston Junction project and the other parts of Winston Junction are still under construction, it will remain on our construction list. Be sure to visit the new live music venue and explore this small part of Winston Junction.

Credit: _spoonful_

Credit: wadecodesign

A new neon sign on the skyline:

The Angelo Brothers Building (in the photograph above) is Wise Man Brewing, so that should help you find Winston Junction.

Bailey South:

Credit: scribnerreed.art

500 West Fifth:

Credit: thundermanhnguyen

Credit: agnetafons

Lobby Expansion:

Credit: agnetafons

Southside Townhouses:
Brown Design Studio, an architect from Savannah, was hired to create "missing middle" infill housing where the historic Washington Park and Southside neighborhoods meet. They will also create public amenities in the space. The structures will be designed to fit-in with the historic neighborhoods. Stimmel is also working on this project. It's an awesome creative part of the city, anchored by one of the world's top ranked arts conservatories. This is a very exciting project!

Credit: Brown Design Studio

Site Plan, showing Sunnyside Avenue:

Credit: Brown Design Studio

An update on construction at Cugino Forno Neapolitan Pizzeria in Bailey Power Plant. The pizzeria will open in early-2019.

Credit: therealtonyjarrett

Credit: cuginoforno

Hong Kong Aircraft Engineering Co. Interiors Division:
HAECO will hire 20 additional engineers, as part of their expansion.

Credit: great_shot_photography_

Credit: jlruss

If this impacts your commute, consider trying transit. The local and regional transit systems recently doubled capacity and cut headways in half on most downtown routes, expecting a big increase in transit usage. Two or three new park-and-ride lots also opened this month. Many employers are offering free or reduced-cost transit passes. Ask your employer if they offer these transit passes. Your employer may offer free bus passes for PART and WSTA and/or free shuttle service! Some downtown events also offer free shuttle service.

The expressway is now closed and work has started on demolishing North Carolina's first stretch of Interstate:

Credit: cityofwinstonsalem

Credit: nerdfoxphotovideowsnc

Credit: edmcneal

One of the many things I love about this city... it has beautiful terrain, with tall ridges and deep valleys:

People have talked about the dramatic decrease in traffic noise since it closed:

Credit: cityofwspolice

Say goodbye to the East West Expressway: 1955-2018:

Credit: blackmanworkin

It's unusual to see no traffic on it. I think it was Interstate 40 from around 1958 to 1992?

Off-Subject:

Don't forget to buy your gifts downtown:
Video Link

Your City

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 5:41 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Five Years Old! Yes, this thread is now half a decade old, as of 12:05 a.m.,.

Today's update features two new projects, including another new brewery about to start construction! Winston-Salem loves craft beer!

Video Link

How many hotels are under construction in downtown Winston-Salem? Four? Hotel Indigo, Courtyard, Hampton Inn, and Hyatt Place? The weather seems to be delaying Hyatt Place.

Hotel Indigo:

No workers on Thanksgiving Day, but we can see they are now replacing glass on the corner entrance:

Credit: Aki Nakahira

Brickwork on the stair tower is now completed and all windows on the upper floors are installed:

Artwork selected for the new hotel (Two works of art in one photograph):

Credit: bussieart

Thanksgiving Day Update (Holiday - No construction workers):

Credit: Aki Nakahira

Friday (11/23) - New hotel in the top right corner:

Ready to start on the second floor:

Credit: wb256

The crane rising above this laneway/alley of stores:

Credit: bookmarksnc

Merschel Park:

Hyphen Hops Brewing Company & Mixed-use:
Hyphen Hops appears to be the name for a new brewery, with a greenhouse for hydroponic hops, that is about to start construction. This is an interesting adaptive-reuse project which includes 229 apartments, a wine bar and deli, and an ice rink for ice skating / hockey. I think rezoning was approved and they are moving to permitting. There are always two or three breweries under construction in Winston-Salem. We are close to adding another to our construction list!

It would be interesting if Winston-Salem's multi-team "beer league" hockey league moved here. The league has been around since the 1970s and is very popular. I'm guessing they want to remain at the Annex where Winston-Salem's minor league hockey team plays, though? If you didn't know about this, you can start your own hockey team and compete in this league. The teams are usually named for Winston-Salem neighborhoods the players are from or for downtown residential buildings where the players live.

Bailey South:

Credit: studioharner

Employees of office tenant "The Variable" took a tour of the building on Monday (11/26):

Credit: cbeezyd

Workers removed walls where the new six-storey building and two-storey historic power plant building will meet:

Credit: kelleyob

The largest office tenant in the project is a creative company called "The Variable."

Credit: landmarkbuildersinc

This appears to be from a ground breaking? As you can see, work has already started:

Winston Junction:
Another tenant has signed at Winston Junction. Ember is preparing to start construction.

The neon-themed brewery will open in 2019. No exact date at this time.

The historic neon clothing store sign is now restored and in place:

Credit: jksincorporated

A look at the kitchen:

U.S. Court of Appeals:
The office space at 601 West Fourth Street will be converted into space for the United States Court of Appeals. The lease is signed and they are preparing to start construction.

Credit: _lopez_76

Downtown Streetscape:
Now that workers are demolishing the East-West Expressway and the bonds passed, it's time to share your ideas for a new downtown streetscape. You can share your ideas at a public input session on December 4 from 11:30 a.m., to 1:30 p.m., at Footnote (beside Bookmarks Bookstore) and at 6 p.m., at the Urban League (Fifth & Trade). The 6 p.m., session includes a presentation. I told you if you voted yes for the bonds we would have several new projects to follow. This is one of those projects!

It almost looks like something from a movie, as workers demolish the expressway in the fog, rain, and ice.

Credit: winston_360

Credit: burgerwolf

Credit: winstonsalemmainstream

Credit: winstonsalemmainstream

Credit: davidbeesknees

Credit: attorneytlbrown

Credit: morganslate

Credit: phelps.todd

Your City

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 2:28 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

I still remember when I first attempted to start this thread. I intended to start it in the Summer of 2013, but never found the time to assemble the thread. These threads really do consume a large amount of time and are difficult to start. By October, I set a time when I would definitely have this thread up. I selected a date when I would have free time. That date was Thanksgiving weekend. By the time Thanksgiving weekend arrived, I had nothing to post. I assembled it all in that one weekend. Since roughly 2015, I've had "stop posting on this thread" as a New Years Resolution. Amazingly, it's still here and being updated. I actually intended to stop when I reached the five year mark. I passed it and I'm still here.

We have several new projects to follow! Thankfully, I decided to keep posting.

Video Link

Hotel Indigo:

Building on the far left:

Credit: Sherri Amoriello

Front panels for the bar:

You can see the interior painting on the 5th floor:

You can also see a crane in the background:

They are already on the second floor and now are close to starting on the third floor! This project is moving very quickly!

Our first street-level view:

Credit: unchainwinston

Merschel Plaza Park:

8 West Third Street:
Change of plans for the developer! Due to an increase in demand for office space, this currently vacant building will be gut-renovated into a modern Class A office building. They will replace everything, from the elevators to roofing. The building will have a 10th floor rooftop terrace level, as part of the renovation. Look for three or four ground floor retail spaces. The developer was considering an apartment conversion, but increasing office demand led to a change of plans. 8 West Third is North Carolina's oldest steel frame skyscraper and does qualify for historic tax credits. It was the first headquarters skyscraper for Wachovia Bank & Trust. Wachovia was the Southeast's largest bank at one time. CJMW will be the renovation architect. No GC was announced at this time. 100,000 square feet of office space was available at the time of this post. Call (336) 926-1411 if you're interested in the office or retail space. It will be upgraded for tech and creative companies. They appear to have completed the design work.

Credit: wkerrymorris

Main & Third Parking Deck:
A new seven storey 550 space parking deck, with retail space on Main Street, will fill this open site and meet demand for a new office project. The parking deck will rise 81 feet / 24.7 metres above Main Street and 93 feet / 28.4 metres above the lowest point on Third Street. It will have decorative lighting at night. CJMW is the architect. Though I would prefer to see apartments or office space at this site, it is good to see something filling this large opening next to the Federal Building.

Credit: CJMW

Cambridge Innovation Center and their Venture Cafe will start a minority and women-owned business accelerator in Bailey Power Plant. They have partnered with a funding source to provide money for the startups.

500 West Fifth:

Credit: amylwagner

Executive Floor for Flow Companies is Completed:

Credit: flowadvisory

PIU Downtown Dormitory / Mixed-use:
PIU has purchased a downtown hotel property, at 200 S. Broad St., and several neighboring structures for a new university development that may include downtown student dormitories, university office space, or a hotel. A proposal being studied would demolish the existing hotel and replace it with a "signature building" that could reach seven-storeys in height. That proposal involves a study of the downtown apartment market. The university would like to build this without any debt. Another option could look into a business degree program on the site. If they move forward with the seven-storey signature building proposal, the new building would open in Summer 2020.

1827 Shoemaker's Workshop:
Restoration work is starting soon on this nearly 192 year-old building! “Starting a meeting with Rampart, French Preservation Organization. Discussion to include the restoration of the shoe shop.” You don't see projects like this on the other city compilation threads!

Credit: oldsaleminc

One Salem Tower Co-Working Space:
New York City based CapStack purchased buildings in downtown Winston-Salem and Chapel Hill to convert into co-working space for tech startups. CEO David Blatt said, "We are very excited to add these two assets to our Southeast portfolio. They are both exceptionally well-located in high growth markets" Blatt added, "The co-working office model really caters to the millennial startup workforce. It provides flexible, built out, full-service space to the individual. We intend to reposition these properties into high-quality office that will serve the next level in that startup's growth – when the company needs larger, dedicated, yet still flexible, space." I'm not sure what will happen to the current tenants? I guess they will stay until their leases expire?

And the tech boom continues...

Downtown Amphitheatre:
Developers have secured Noise / Entertainment District zoning for a site at Tenth Street and Patterson Avenue, allowing for louder indoor and outdoor entertainment projects. Included in the zoning is a vacant Thomasville Furniture Factory, which can now be converted to 300,000 square feet of office or entertainment uses and also qualifies for historic tax credits. The site being rezoned is very large, covering 21 acres. The terrain is perfect for a massive outdoor amphitheatre to bring larger concerts to the developer's fast-growing entertainment district.

Bailey South:
New six-storey glass office building for tech & creative companies and renovation of a two-storey 1926 power plant building for retail/restaurants. The new glass office building will be constructed on the back side of the 1926 building.

Credit: brian_meg

Photograph from the November ground breaking, seen in last week's update:

Credit: thevariablelab

I see someone is painting or restoring the Victorian rowhouses in this photograph:

This was North Carolina's first stretch of Interstate Highway in the 1950s:

Credit: tbberndt

They wasted no time demolishing this old expressway:

Credit: abbyumlauf

Credit: charmingfoxphotowsnc

It's just a muddy path, now (Monday 12/3)!

Credit: charmingfoxphotowsnc

Off-Subject:

Your City

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 6:15 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Yes, this is the city ranked 7th on Forbes list of the best places to visit in the United States.

Snow usually increases the number of construction photographs!
Video Link

Winter Storm Diego in Downtown Winston-Salem on a Sunday night:

Credit: Betty Williams‎

Hotel Indigo:
Workers removed the chute and dumpster from the east facade. They are also installing the panels above the ground floor windows and working on the restaurant space.

The chute was removed:

Credit: winstontowerviews

Connecting the building to underground utilities:

Credit: zackpriskphotography

Credit: zackpriskphotography

In the snow (Notice the installation of panels above the ground floor windows):

Credit: mattmildenberg

Bar front panels... They have a 1963 look:

Sir Winston Restaurant & Wine Loft:

Credit: sirwinstonwineloft

“Sir Winston Wine Loft and Restaurant will open early 2019. Our restaurant will offer a Taste of North Carolina with a European twist and our Wine Loft will have an extensive wine and cocktail list and delicious small plates."

The restaurant is older than 1967. I think it opened in 1963 as The Beefeater Ltd., and changed its name to The Red Lion and changed its name again to Sir Winston in 1967. It was an upscale restaurant and live music venue for young professionals in the 1960s. The music performed there was very edgy in the 1960s. It was the only restaurant of its kind in North Carolina. Sadly, it closed in the 1980s. Thankfully, nothing else opened in the space. It was perfectly preserved as a 1963 restaurant with a few changes in 1967. It still had the red-themed interior from the Red Lion.

Credit: nerdcodenamei

Preparing to start work on the third floor of this six-storey building:

Credit: CRA

Bailey South:

Bailey South's construction site on the Weather Channel... as brunt of a major blizzard is expected to hit the city:

Credit: hellonheels_asl

West Academy Apartments:
The newest residential proposal is an apartment building with ground floor retail & office space. This will replace a currently vacant hotel, which will be demolished for this project. The project will have nearly 5,000 square feet of retail space and 60 1, 2, and 3 bedroom apartments. No details on the office space? Steele Group Architects is the architect.

Credit: Steele Group Architects

I couldn't find any photographs of this project last week. With Winter Storm Diego's worst impact (on a sizable city) forecast for Winston-Salem, there are photographs this week! They have started cladding the structure, but it's on a side we rarely see.

When you see this truck near a construction site, you know you're in the worst location for a bad storm:

Credit: marko.rivas

They look for the locations, to report from, where the weather will be the worst.

Winter Storm Diego and Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:

Credit: Theresa Bruni Maxwell‎

It's on the far right:

Credit: ‎Susan Sharpless Smith‎

They are finally cladding the structure, with brick on the northwestern corner:

Credit: ‎Susan Sharpless Smith‎

Credit: gjamback

Credit: Jeff MacIntosh

Credit: Jeff MacIntosh

Credit: ajtoleri

Low Line:

Progress on the elevated bike and walking path at Bailey Power Plant:

Credit: paulblaser

Off-Subject:

Forbes Best Cities to Visit:
Winston-Salem is 7th on Forbes list of the best places to visit for 2019. The article said Winston-Salem's many craft breweries, locally-owned restaurants, art galleries, boutique hotels, live music venues, the Yadkin Valley Wine Region, vibrant downtown, and many events, including The National Black Theatre Festival, RiverRun International Film Festival, and the Winston-Salem Open, are the reasons for including Winston-Salem in their list of must visit cities.

Winston-Salem's downtown construction sites are usually my favorite reason to visit.

Winter Storm Diego:
Winston-Salem had 15 inches / 381 millimetres of snow, yesterday. The city could have as many as 18 inches / 457 millimetres of snow when the storm is finished. Winston-Salem had the most snow of the state's big six cities (N.C. cities with 200,000 or more residents) and Winston-Salem has the experience, equipment, and city team to quickly reopen streets. Winston-Salem also has a team to clear the sidewalks in the core of the city, allowing downtown-area businesses to open.

Bailey South's construction fence, advertising the construction project, is in the background:

Credit: dgeorgitis

Sunday Morning at Bailey Park:

Credit: innovationquarter

Your City

Last edited by Matthew; Dec 10, 2018 at 6:26 AM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 6:38 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Video Link

Winter Wonderland:

Credit: mcdaytx

Hotel Indigo:

Still working on the stair entrance:

Credit: mikesaigh

Credit: mikesaigh

Front Desk:

Credit: margoscales

Credit: thereallarebear

Preparing to start on the third floor:

Working on the third floor:

Credit: cwudyka

Merschel Park:

It towers above the historic structures around it:

Credit: jane_less_is_more

See it on the skyline: (Wow, that is a big apartment building!)

Credit: straight8s

1834 Nissen Wagon Works Mixed-use: Cancelled
This project is cancelled, due to the collapse of the historic Nissen Wagon Works Building from the heavy snowfall. Nearly half a metre of snow was too much for the roof. Workers will try to stabilize the remains of the building and, if they can be stabilized, the street in front of the building will be narrowed as a result. Previous plans are cancelled and the property will be offered for sale to a developer. Winston-Salem was the nation's leading carriage, gun carts, and wagon manufacturing center after the Civil War, with around two-thirds or more of the wagons used in the Great Western Migration made in Winston-Salem. Several major wagon innovations came from this building, with this company becoming the national leader in wagons before the automobile replaced wagons and carriages. Nissen Wagons were stronger, lighter, could carry more cargo, could handle rougher roads, and didn't need as many horses.

The nearly 185 year-old star-shaped smokestack is still standing, but the main building collapsed:

Thankfully, some items, including the old windows and wood, were salvaged for use in bars and breweries in downtown. I do know the windows were reused at Fiddlin' Fish Brewing Company.

A look at the building before it collapsed from the snowstorm:

Credit: nc_explorer

Reynolds Place Arts Theatre:
This project is now applying for permits and should be under-construction, soon. Frank L. Blum is the GC.

Bailey South:

You can see the construction fence and the Morris Building (second phase):

Credit: hutchinshomes

Another look at the construction fence advertising:

Credit: chowandchatter

Winston Junction:
Axe Club (axe throwing - new hipster fad) and Camel City Goods (clothing store) are two new tenants in Winston Junction.

Workers are installing windows on the ground floor (retail floor).

Credit: jessdnorby

Credit: vanherdehaage

Did You Know: The metal building is the headquarters and microbrewery for UpDog Kombucha:

Credit: Shane Smith

Credit: Shane Smith

Union Station & Streetcar Yard:
Staining the benches at the historic train station. It appears very close to completion! While many train station restorations in North Carolina have inaccurate or budget restorations, Winston-Salem's train station has an expensive and accurate restoration, using the original blueprints. Even the light fixtures are accurate replicas of the 1926 originals. It's called a museum-quality restoration. As you look at the photographs, you'll see this historic train station does look like a 1926 building and not modernized renovation. I think they did this to generate tourism from train lovers? They started with the most intact historic train station in North Carolina, which helped with the high-quality restoration. I think they will open a train museum on one of the floors for tourists? It will also have restaurant spaces, with a pizza restaurant signed to a space. Plans include having bus and future rail transit using this building. The second floor will become the City DOT office and the lower floor will become "for lease" office space.

Credit: wbpaintinginc

Your City

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 5:29 AM
Fourth and Main

A music video filmed in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District:
Video Link

It includes the Bailey South and Low Line construction sites.

Your City

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 5:58 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Spending so many nights without an update is rough, but the updates have returned! Can you believe we have another hotel to talk about!
Video Link

Hotel Indigo:
This hotel is now accepting reservations for April 7. I'm guessing that is the completion date?

Credit: stanleyronnie

Finishing ground floor windows. The panels over those windows are completed:

Credit: missglennie

Credit: tenn_e_c_tornado

Workers are preparing to start on the fourth floor of this six storey building.

Credit: zweiblueeyes

Union Station Hotel:
Another hotel project to follow! A new hotel is proposed on East First Street, near Union Station and the Winston-Salem State University campus. It will have a conference center and a parking deck. There are few details at this time.

Merschel Park:

Credit: oneistheworld

Veterans Nursing Home:
This project, to be constructed by the State of North Carolina and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, will cost $31 million.

500 West Fifth:

Constructing the sitting / people watching stairs (I've seen this at other tech company headquarters):

Installing framework for new glass entrace:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHtoWS @ WSTB Forum
Research Design Studio:
The University of North Carolina System will create a new research center, called Research Design Studio, in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. It will combine STEM and art & design. Flywheel Co-working will partner with the project.

The developer has applied for a demolition permit to demolish the existing two-storey parking deck on the site. Frank L. Blum Construction will build a new eight-storey parking deck with retail/restaurant space at the site, when demolition of the existing 1950s parking deck is completed. The new parking deck will provide parking for a proposed nine-storey office and retail project designed for creative and tech companies as well as Federal Courthouse employees.

Aerial view with rail line and rail line dog park:

Credit: shotbytig

Pre-leasing banners are now installed:

Credit: Link Apartments

8 West Third Street:
Tech company TrueLook will double the size of their headquarters with a lease at 8 West Third Street. The developer for this nine-storey office and retail project is ready to begin construction next month. This project is advertised as ten floors, but I think the tenth floor is a rooftop amenity level?

Credit: Jason Thiel

Demolished Bridges:

Credit: ddavisphotographer

Hawthorne Hill:

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

North-South Rail Transit System:
The Federal Transportation Administration (FTA) awarded a $1 million grant last week to develop the comprehensive plan for this 5.4 mile / 8.7 kilometre rail transit system, connecting downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District to several universities, sports/entertainment venues, and neighborhoods. This project will have dedicated ROW and is being led by the developers of downtown's IQ District.

Your City

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 6:37 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

New Year Resolution #4: I want to stop posting on this thread. There is no one here but me.

That has appeared on my list of resolutions for maybe three or four years and I'm still here. I think it was #1 on my resolutions list for 2016. I could gain several hours of free time, each week, if I stopped updating this thread. Everyone interested in this city posts at WSTB. We'll see if I can keep it this year. My last attempt to stop lasted one month in late 2017.

Video Link

Hotel Indigo:
No one photographed it in the past week. There is news on the project. The developer said it will open on March 7 and not the April 7 date shown elsewhere. The restaurant and wine loft will open at the end of next month.

This hotel will open in April 2019.

Credit: bryanlovessharon

A look inside:

Hyatt Place Hotel:
This project has grown by 13 hotel rooms! It is now a 133-key hotel and is expected to rise from the ground in late-April, with a May 2020 completion date. Hendrick Construction is the General Contractor. The project will be a hotel with office space for Piedmont Federal Bank and a restaurant fronting the park.

Merschel Park:

Excavation for Underground Parking for Hotel Indigo, Hyatt Place, Piedmont Federal Bank, restaurants/bars, & Crawford Condominiums

Bailey South:

Credit: luckyed1

Notice the shared wall, where they will construct the new six-storey glass office building, is now white (sand blasting or cleaning?):

Christmas Eve:

Credit: orebrandonm

Christmas Eve:

Credit: orebrandonm

Credit: sweetlikeasong

Sunday View (12/30):

Credit: wahardee

Credit: cherokeepeoples

Long apartment building! This out-of-state musician had great things to say about the city:

Credit: huskerdylan

Crawford Condominiums:
This nine-storey extended-stay condo building, for tech executives relocating to Winston-Salem, could begin construction in early-May 2019, with completion in May or June 2020. It will have 24 condominiums with amazing downtown and park views. Studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom units will be available. Since this is extended-stay housing for executives moving to Winston-Salem, it will be fully furnished. It's a place to stay while they look for housing in Winston-Salem or build a new house. Hendrick Construction is the General Contractor for this project. Pre-construction has already started.

Twin City Motors Building Adaptive-Reuse:
An update on this adaptive-reuse project, converting an old Model-T Ford Factory and dealership into an office building for creative/tech companies, with ground-floor retail.

The developer installed a history exhibit on the building, in the retail space, with an old automobile:

Credit: amberthebamber

Credit: kpipgras

Low Line:
Update on this adaptive-reuse project, converting an old coal rail line into an elevated boardwalk.

Construction at Low Line & Bailey South:

Construction Fence at Low Line:

Credit: jwlindsley

Off-Subject:

Sunnyside Neighborhood:

Credit: kthaven

Your City

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 10:33 PM

I read your posts every week

Saw your post regarding your #4 resolution for the new year and wanted you to know that I read your updates every week. I no longer live in Winston but still have family there and love the town. Thanks for doing this; I, for one, hope you keep them up!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 3:41 AM

As do I. I’ve been following this thread for years. I’m sure you dedicate a lot of time for all the work you do and I really appreciate it. If you do decide to stop, thanks for all of the Winston-Salem updates through out the years!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 5:05 AM
Fourth and Main

Thank you to those who follow the updates here. I doubt I'll stop anytime soon. The boom is growing larger and larger and I continue to want updates for myself and when I find updates for myself, I have updates to share here. That is the reason it's so difficult to stop. I set dates to stop updating this thread, usually after a building is completed or in the Fall, and make that resolution every year, but never keep it. I just thought I would share it for laughs. It is actually on my list of resolutions. Later this year, we could have possibly 10 or more new-construction downtown structures rising out of the ground, at the same time, and it will be tough to stop posting. In the next update, you'll see another building moving closer to construction.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 1:42 AM

I would like to join all those who have expressed support for your efforts! I regularly read your posts which are beautifully documenting the literal rebirth of Winston Salem and I thank you for your service!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 6:30 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

We have exciting news this week! The developer of an 11-storey building has secured the last site needed to begin site demolition and start construction!

Remember that ballpark-area development that never happened? Prim is in talks with other developers for the site! We may have an update, soon!
Video Link

Hotel Indigo:

Credit: Hotel Indigo WSD

Workers are preparing to start on the fifth floor of the six-storey structure. I found several photographs, from the architecture firm, taken inside the construction site, from a few weeks ago. The design has changed and I finally found a large updated rendering to share. I've seen the updated rendering on the construction fence, for the past few months, but couldn't find a large and high quality version of it to post, until now. The building now has a rooftop bar.

Updated Rendering:

Credit: r4architecturepa

Yes, it's next door to Foothills Brewing and the first two floors are designed to match the brewery (The hotel will paint a mural on the side of Foothills Brewing):

The Crane:

Our first look inside!

Credit: milliontheroadd

Construction site on the left:

Credit: denzillaughren

Merschel Park:

Reflected in the window of a downtown bar:

Credit: Kemer Petty‎

418 North Marshall Street:

It appears as if they have leased the basement to a bowling alley, as they talked about?

Credit: lambert_architecture

MINIM:
Developer Rence Callahan finally has a deal to acquire 214 West Fourth Street (Twin City Slice Pizza Restaurant) and has demolition permits to demolish the pizza restaurant's building. When this restaurant building is demolished he can move forward with plans for a proposed 11-storey office & condominium building. No word on where the pizza restaurant will move to? This project is designed for those seeking an environmentally sustainable place to live and work and also includes restoring the Patten/Realty Building. It will have 15 condominiums, marketed as "living smart" and "clean, responsible living." As an environmentally sustainable project, this building doesn't have any parking!

Credit: DWSP

It will fill-in half of the gap between the blank wall and the brick building, on the bottom left corner:

Credit: codywinfrey

Part of the former neon sign factory to be reused in the brewery (as decoration):

Credit: Industry Hill

Medline Building:
Medline will begin construction, this Fall, on a new $40 million building, near Interstate 74, with plans to hire 400 people in a variety of positions. Completion is set for Summer 2021. No incentives were requested, at this time.

Smith Reynolds Airport Projects:
The county is already providing funding to start on the Aerotropolis project.

Lighting Installation:

Credit: flysmithreynolds

Bailey South:
A home decor store, Nekkid Dave Home, has confirmed on social media they are leasing space at Bailey South.

Second Street Park: Built!
This project is now completed. Did you know: This was the site of the first public waterworks system in the American Colonies, in 1778, and was visited by President George Washington in 1791! This city is awesome! If you live in the Holly Avenue Historic District, enjoy your new park!

Twin City Motors Building Adaptive-reuse:
If you are a tech company or creative company in need of office space, Twin City Motors (a.k.a., the Ford Factory) is an awesome building to lease in.

The space for lease is both office space and retail space:

Credit: wellswt_

Credit: chrisleab

Credit: wethebestvideo

The highway is almost fully demolished in this area, with just a few retaining walls standing:

Credit: morganslate

Off-Subject:

Credit: cherokeepeoples

Your City

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 1:19 AM

Thanks

Matthew - I would echo what others have posted.... THANKS man!!!

You have done a great job presenting and posting and recognizing the current renaissance of our beautiful Winston-Salem. There is SO MUCH good stuff going on right now we can't keep up with it... but you TRY.
Awesome efforts and again thanks. Keep it up, please...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 2:06 AM

Count me in on one of your regular and grateful readers. I don’t live in Winston any longer but I’m hoping to move back in the fall. Such great things happening.

That 11-story building is particularly awesome. So narrow and dense, like something you’d see in NYC or Philly.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 6:38 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

I often think I'm not that great at this. I do thank everyone who visits this thread each week. I didn't know so many people read this each week. I actually thought it was just 0-2 at the most.

Due to the weather, we don't have as many photographs this week. I do thank our photographers, again.

Video Link

Hotel Indigo:
All of the glass is now in place, except for a transom above an entrance on the northwest corner. They still need to install the marble below the ground floor windows.

A rare look inside the ground floor restaurant and second floor wine loft, with the chef:

Credit: chef.swing

Still haven't repaired the brick and terracotta:

Credit: nvbmusic2018

I don't think Mayfair Street Partners will clean the front facades. I say this because they used darker brick at the top of the new stair tower, to match the dirty brick at the top of the building. I'm guessing they will leave the brick dirty and keep the graffiti and gold leaf window signage for their trendy boutique hotel, to give it a gritty feel? With this building, I do wish they would clean the brick and terracotta.

Workers are now constructing the fifth floor on the six storey building. It could top-out in another three weeks?

Red brick building behind the modernist church:

Credit: susanmaiercolon

This apartment building will open February 1. Yes, the opening is a little more than two weeks from now!

This three building project now includes an under construction hotel, with restaurant and an indoor and outdoor event/conference space. The developer purchased a cherry bar Al Capone sat at for drinks and it will be used in the event/conference space. The bar will offer beer from the craft brewery. Plans also include an outdoor movie venue beside the brewery and hotel. The neon signs found inside the former neon factory will be restored and reused throughout the multi-use property. The restaurant may reuse an old neon sign from Salem Restaurant? The neon-themed development sounds awesome!

The craft brewery entrance will be on Ninth Street and the hotel/restaurant entrance will be on Liberty Street. The neighborhood around the brewery & hotel will have public art, bike paths, and streetscape improvements.

Two of the three buildings in this multi-use project:

Credit: rclopez79

Link Apartments 4th Street:
Developer Grubb Properties will offer $15,000 to add public art at Fourth and Spruce streets. This amount can be matched by the city's art commission. They are currently studying the history of this site for the proposed art work.

Board & Batten:

Our first look at this project's construction:

Credit: stitchdesignshop

Progress Rail Test Cell:
Progress Rail will construct an engine testing facility (Test Cell) at their location in the Alliance Science & Technology Park. Progress Rail is moving 600 jobs from Chicago to Winston-Salem as part of this project.

1834 Nissen Wagon Works:
They couldn't save it. Winston Watchman is reporting the building is currently being demolished. The 185 year-old star-shaped smokestack, from the original 1834 building, is still standing.

An historic marker will remain, to tell the site's history:

Credit: nvbmusic2018

Cugino Forno Neapolitan Pizzeria will open March 1.

Kitchen equipment arrives at Bailey Power Plant for the pizzeria:

Kitchen equipment arrives at Bailey Power Plant for the pizzeria:

Kaleideum Science Museum:
The City of Winston-Salem is considering issuing $2 million in bonds to demolish the Liberty Plaza park space and the 1970s Brutalist office space under the park and rebuild it as a more attractive and contemporary park space leading into the new downtown science museum. No word on if the plans still include possible animial exhibits or not? I think they may want to move those indoors and maybe to the roof? We could see additional funding (reports have said an additional $30 million from Forsyth County) by this summer? I guess we shall see?

The Flatiron Restaurant & Bar:
This week, we have a new project to follow, from the same New York and Los Angeles team behind the live music venue at Winston Junction! Los Angeles-based Wade Co., Design, Inc., will design and renovate the building.

Credit: Wade Co., Design

It's interesting to see people involved in noteworthy New York City and Los Angeles bars and entertainment venues working on similar projects in Winston-Salem.

Workers have installed a fence around the 1950s parking deck to be demolished for this project. When the smaller 1950s parking deck is demolished, Frank L. Blum Construction will build a new 8-storey parking deck with ground floor retail at this site. The parking deck will be shared by the Federal Building and the office and retail project about to start construction at 8 West Third.

Demolition fence at the site (Federal Building on the left and 8 West Third on the right):

Credit: childoftheivy

8 West Third Street:
Speaking of 8 West Third Street, which is being converted to retail and modern office space for creative and tech companies...

A look at the cornice on North Carolina's oldest steel-framed skyscraper:

Credit: dsgnr2obx

Oliver Cycling Park:
The City of Winston-Salem is considering issuing $2 million in bonds to buy the U.S. Bankruptcy Court Building and demolish it to "expand" a proposed Walter Hood designed park, at Liberty and Cemetery streets. The conservancy building the park has already acquired and demolished the Salem Iron Works' buildings for this new park. They would like to expand the proposed downtown park and need the city's assistance. Major cycling infrastructure is being constructed through and next to this proposed park. No word on where the U.S. Bankruptcy Court will move to?

Dave & Buster's:
Our first update on this entertainment project.

Credit: sensibleairsystems

Credit: sensibleairsystems

Cladding installation:

Credit: turnepf

Off-Subject:

The domed Wells Fargo Center should be on the far other side of this illustration:

Credit: coffeeparkairstream

Art Deco:

Credit: anastasiavkorol

You can see how the dome of the city's tallest is lit at night:

Credit: arielm52

Your City

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 6:18 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Don't forget to visit your favorite restaurants, arts, and retail establishments in downtown, even if it's cold or the bridge leading to it is demolished. Have fun in this amazing city and support downtown development!

Trying to find an upbeat song, that was near the top of the charts, you haven't heard in years:
Video Link

Hotel Indigo:
A little over 6 weeks from completion, according to the developer. Almost 11 weeks from completion, according to InterContinental Hotels. I think the hotel chain's website is correct. This boutique hotel appears to be nearly 11 weeks from completion.

I'm guessing they are still working on floors 1-4? Floors 5-7 appear very close to completed:

A below-freezing Sunday (1/20) It's rare to find photographs of the front sides and this week have a look at a small part of the corner:

Since it was a Sunday, no construction workers (Hotel Indigo on far right):

This is an older image from several months ago:

Credit: timbowman

They are preparing to pour the floor for the sixth floor:

They are finally repairing the facade of the brewery next door:

Credit: wilsoncovington

Merschel Park:
Work has resumed on this park space, which will become the underground parking for three buildings and the base for two of those buildings. They appear to be digging a deep trench and running pipe through the middle of the park space? I don't know if this is for the executive housing building or the Hyatt Place Hotel or maybe a water feature in the park?

Credit: Ken Gwyn

88.5 WFDD Studio:
Several sources are reporting 88.5 WFDD, The Triad's Arts & NPR Station, has 408 North Liberty Street, in downtown Winston-Salem, under contract. This large building has two floors (and may have a basement) of space, including entrances on both Fourth Street (Restaurant Row) and Liberty Street (Arts District). It should be interesting to see what they do with it. I would like to see them open some type of performance space in the storefronts.

500 West Fifth:

Lobby Stairs:

It's the 21-storey skyscraper in the background:

Credit: bryon.ashley

Flooring Installation by Professional Carpet Systems:

Credit: professionalcarpetsystems

Looks Good!

Kernersville Brewing Company: Built!
Construction is now completed at this brewery. They have 16 taps and will open this Friday, but they are still in the process of moving equipment.

Credit: Kernersville Brewing Co.

Final checklist before move-ins. Tenants will move-in on February 1.

Credit: zhongling.xia

A look at the cladding:

Credit: openthebluedoor

Removing the roadbed and retaining walls:

Credit: turnepf

Off-Subject:

Your City

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations