HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 3:20 PM

they should put a cord to pull like on the bus ,lol
next stop georges island
and this would probly fit better in the transportation and infustrucure thread

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 3:33 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
they should put a cord to pull like on the bus ,lol
next stop georges island
and this would probly fit better in the transportation and infustrucure thread
The original thread was about opening (i.e. preserving and building washroom/ferry facilities) on Georges's Island through Parks Canada. It seems like transportation to George's Island fits into the development of George's Island.

Personally, I think a small ferry/water taxi from the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic might be a good idea. There could be an exhibit at the Maritime Museum about George's Island and how it ties into the Halifax area military fortifications. Maybe they could sell passes with options of a) just to Georges Island or b) a combined pass that includes the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.

I think that George`s Island will become a major attraction for the Halifax area similar to the Citadel Hill. Not only does it have fortifications but it is an island in the Atlantic Ocean close to a city.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
The original thread was about opening (i.e. preserving and building washroom/ferry facilities) on Georges's Island through Parks Canada. It seems like transportation to George's Island fits into the development of George's Island.

Personally, I think a small ferry/water taxi from the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic might be a good idea. There could be an exhibit at the Maritime Museum about George's Island and how it ties into the Halifax area military fortifications. Maybe they could sell passes with options of a) just to Georges Island or b) a combined pass that includes the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.

I think that George`s Island will become a major attraction for the Halifax area similar to the Citadel Hill. Not only does it have fortifications but it is an island in the Atlantic Ocean close to a city.

i like the museum idea actually, it ties into the idea of the island very well it could be a very good thing for halifax and tourism. people will want to go to it once they see it from the citidel and its fairly close to downtown so it wont be as bad as mcnabs to get to. Not to mention the view.

and maybe a mod could change the name of the thread to just georges island so it can be disscussed in general.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 9:43 PM

I think it should just be private ferries. The guy who does the trips to McNabs from Eastern Passage could do Georges as well. It makes zero sense to have Metro Transit servicing it. In fact, it makes less than zero sense. The amount of sense is somewhere in the negative values. Like, -6/10.

As far as the island being opened, personally I think it's a mistake. I mean it's not like McNabs where you can go and spend a weekend, 30 minutes and you've seen everything Georges' has to offer.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 10:21 PM
Honored Member

I think that being able to go the island and see everything in a short length of time will be considered to be a positive point to many, since some won't have hours to spare. I wonder if they could open the light house to visitors? That would be one more attraction. One more attraction would be whale and dolphin watching (I have never seen any in the harbour but I have seen pictures taken of whales and dolphins in the Halifax Harbour).

I have heard that McNabbs Island is full of snakes. Are they just small garter snakes?

Last edited by fenwick16; Mar 26, 2010 at 10:37 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 11:37 PM

it would be great to be opened, i would go
great view, great history it might be about an hour trip and that good enough
and fenwick, georges island is the one with snakes. It has the most per capita or something and they are harmless i believe

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 11:52 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
it would be great to be opened, i would go
great view, great history it might be about an hour trip and that good enough
and fenwick, georges island is the one with snakes. It has the most per capita or something and they are harmless i believe
Tourists probably won't like the snakes. I just read that garter snakes like water ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garter_snake ). This might be a dumb question to anyone who is knowledgeable about snakes, but are they in the water and landing on Georges Island or do they primarily live and breed on the Island. If they mainly live and breed on the island then it shouldn't be too difficult to reduce the population. If they are coming out of the water then that would make them far more difficult to control.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 1:32 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Tourists probably won't like the snakes. I just read that garter snakes like water ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garter_snake ). This might be a dumb question to anyone who is knowledgeable about snakes, but are they in the water and landing on Georges Island or do they primarily live and breed on the Island. If they mainly live and breed on the island then it shouldn't be too difficult to reduce the population. If they are coming out of the water then that would make them far more difficult to control.
I have been to George's Island 7 times. It is a truly unique experience. The island is much larger than it appears and offers the best views of anywhere in Metro. You have a view of both bridges, downtown, the container terminal, McNabs Island, Eastern Passage, Chebucto head, Point Pleasant Park and the entrance to the Arm all while surrounded by water, sailboats and container ships. You literally continue to turn and look at something different the whole time you are there. The fortifications are very complex. In the centre (not visible from the citadel) is a parade square. There are ramparts like the citadel and from this point you enter tunnels to the ammo magazines. There is a large underground cavern that is formed in arched brickwork facing the mouth of the harbour. This is where six granite framed openings look out at the mouth of the harbour. Cannons are aimed through the openings guarding the harbour entrance. This island is phenomenal and should be available to everyone. The poisonous snake theory is a myth. The idea was that the snakes came from container ships and thrive in the long grass but there really is no documented proof of their existence. There was one tree on the island and Juan took it out. I hope the lighthouse and keeper building are restored. Some people argue that the island should be left alone but that is like saying stay off citadel hill.

Last edited by Empire; Mar 27, 2010 at 1:48 AM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 4:53 AM
Honored Member

I am looking forward to seeing this island. How large is the military complex in relation to the Citadel Hill complex (i.e. 1/4, 1/2, 1/3)? I hope that it can all be restored for 3.5 million including the lighthouse.

I am sure that many cities would be salivating at the thought of having a historic fort on an island within city boundaries.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
The poisonous snake theory is a myth. The idea was that the snakes came from container ships and thrive in the long grass but there really is no documented proof of their existence.
This is no proof, but it does seem that they exist (or at least did at one point): http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/nature/snakes/melanist.htm . I guess they aren't poisonous though.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 12:53 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
I am looking forward to seeing this island. How large is the military complex in relation to the Citadel Hill complex (i.e. 1/4, 1/2, 1/3)? I hope that it can all be restored for 3.5 million including the lighthouse.

I am sure that many cities would be salivating at the thought of having a historic fort on an island within city boundaries.
It looks like the military installation is about 1/4 at most the size of the citadel. There are no buildings in the fort area like the citadel, just underground installations. Perhaps it will be be restored with accuracy so anything lost will be regained. The snakes found weren't poisonous.

Last edited by Empire; Mar 27, 2010 at 1:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 1:08 PM
Honored Member

Thank you Empire, for the illustrations. The fortifications are larger than what I expected. This will be a great addition to the city's historic attractions.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 2:40 PM
Honored Member

I got this bird's eye view from Bing Maps. This is a great fort. I lived in Halifax for years and didn't even know that this existed. I wonder how many people in the Halifax area know that such a fort exists on George's Island. I think this will get a lot of visitors from the Halifax area and tourists once it opens. I really hope that they can open the lighthouse also.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 4:09 PM
Salty Town

It is a huge asset and has been ignored for years. This will be a must for any visitor and a regular outing for residents. There is tremendous tourism potential and it is hard to imagine why it is taking so long to realize it. Perhaps New Years eve fireworks could be launched from George`s and close the bridge to vehicles and use the bridge as a viewing deck.

Aerial View
http://westinnovascotian.files.wordp...at-pier-21.jpg

Offshore Picnic 2009
http://www.greatoffshorepicnic.com/gallery/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 4:58 PM

I was very impressed when I went during their open house two summers ago. It found it to be much more interesting a place than citadel hill. And the views were amazing. It is an amazing asset for the city.

I can't recall whether I had posted these or not. Here are some pics that I took that day.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
I think it should just be private ferries. The guy who does the trips to McNabs from Eastern Passage could do Georges as well. It makes zero sense to have Metro Transit servicing it. In fact, it makes less than zero sense. The amount of sense is somewhere in the negative values. Like, -6/10.

As far as the island being opened, personally I think it's a mistake. I mean it's not like McNabs where you can go and spend a weekend, 30 minutes and you've seen everything Georges' has to offer.
Agree. If MT can't make certain stops on mainland Halifax because it isn't economical, they shouldn't be involved in transit to Georges. I like the idea of a private shuttle like the guys is Eastern Passage operate to McNabs.

Quote:

I have heard that McNabbs Island is full of snakes. Are they just small garter snakes?
IIRC, Georges Island has an enourmous amount of harmless snakes hiding in the island's tall grass. A guide on the island quoted a stat that I can't remember...

I've got a handful of pictures from the island posted here.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 5:53 PM
Honored Member

Thank you Jonovision for posting your pictures, and thanks to tribeachpunk for the link to your pictures (I especially liked the ones of the tunnel and the dead bird on the gun turret). These pictures show views of the city that few Haligonians will ever see unless they go on a harbour boat tour.

This will be a great asset to the city. I am surprised that it wasn't opened sooner (decades ago). I was in San Francisco several years ago and took a tour of Alcatraz Island. I think this will have a similar appeal (although not as well know).

Maybe once George's Island is opened people will stop worrying about the Citadel view (although not likely). As far as seeing the harbour goes, the views from Georges Island will be much better. Then there are all the additional views of the bridges and downtown buildings.

Last edited by fenwick16; Mar 28, 2010 at 1:31 AM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 6:09 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I was very impressed when I went during their open house two summers ago. It found it to be much more interesting a place than citadel hill. And the views were amazing. It is an amazing asset for the city.

I can't recall whether I had posted these or not. Here are some pics that I took that day.

I just wanted to repost these two pictures from Jonovision's collection. These two pictures show how renovating (recladding) Fenwick Towers will have a positive impact on the city skyline (it will look so much better clad in glass instead of all the concrete). The second picture of Purdy's Wharf looks great. Once the NS Power building is complete then it will also dramatically improve the city skyline.

PS: Could the moderator change the thread title? How about: George's Island Set to Open in 2012

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Thank you Jonovision for posting your pictures, and thanks to tripeachpunk for the link to your pictures (I especially liked the ones of the tunnel and the dead bird on the gun turret). These pictures show views of the city that few Haligonians will ever see unless they go on a harbour boat tour.
That's what I strive for

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 6:40 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribeachpunk View Post
That's what I strive for
I hope that you won't mind me posting a couple of your pictures below. I find the one of the dead bird to be very intriguing.

I didn't know before that the George's Island fort is named Fort Charlotte; it is amazing that so little is known about this great historic site (is it just me, or is there just not much being publicized by Parks Canada and the city - maybe they didn't want to draw too much attention to it until they were ready to proceed)

(source: tribeachpunk, http://cpharmon.blogspot.com/2008/07...es-island.html )

(source: tribeachpunk, http://cpharmon.blogspot.com/2008/07...es-island.html )

Last edited by fenwick16; Mar 28, 2010 at 1:30 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues