HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 12:38 PM

Building materials in Halifax

A recent CBC article talks about the number of glass condos going up in Toronto and says that they will need more maintenance at shorter intervals because of the limitations of those materials. The glass is energy inefficient, it will be breached by the weather and get dirty/cloudy and have to be replaced in as few as 20 years. Is this something that should concern us in Halifax with any of the developments going on right now? I was thinking of King's Wharf and it's iconic tower. But I also noticed the new Spring Garden Rd. office building is mostly glass clad. There are others as well. Is it always a concern? Are the Toronto buildings shoddily built? I don't recall seeing more frequent upgrade work on buildings in Halifax with more glass.

Here is a link to the article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...ed-condos.html

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuz View Post
A recent CBC article talks about the number of glass condos going up in Toronto and says that they will need more maintenance at shorter intervals because of the limitations of those materials. The glass is energy inefficient, it will be breached by the weather and get dirty/cloudy and have to be replaced in as few as 20 years. Is this something that should concern us in Halifax with any of the developments going on right now? I was thinking of King's Wharf and it's iconic tower. But I also noticed the new Spring Garden Rd. office building is mostly glass clad. There are others as well. Is it always a concern? Are the Toronto buildings shoddily built? I don't recall seeing more frequent upgrade work on buildings in Halifax with more glass.

Here is a link to the article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...ed-condos.html
We were talking about this article around the office and with my consultant for my project (who is from Toronto) and we all seem to have different views on it.

I know a few totally glass office buildings around Toronto are 15+ years old and I haven't heard anything their maintenance costs being a huge problem. I would think if that was the case the various REITs and corporate property firms would be getting away from them like crazy.

It makes me wonder if it has to do with the quality of the windows and seals installed with the building? I know some of the developers who have built these buildings have a number of concerns/lawsuits going on over quality. I wonder if it was an indirect crack at them versus the 'overall issue'? One coworker did make the remark that this may have been part of the reason for Vancouver's leaky condo crisis in the 90's...which makes me think that if that's correct, there will be a sequel in a few years. I'm honestly unsure what the real answer is...

From a personal perspective, I don't like that type of condo development simply because I don't like cleaning the windows!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues