HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

1000M in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 2:55 PM

After a long hiatus, 1000M ads are showing up on my browser frequently again. One final marketing push?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
After a long hiatus, 1000M ads are showing up on my browser frequently again. One final marketing push?
^ yea, ad made an appearance on Instagram as well, recently.

Last ditch effort.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 3:34 PM

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think the design is ugly and I hope it doesn’t get built this cycle so we can get a redesign.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 5:06 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think the design is ugly and I hope it doesn’t get built this cycle so we can get a redesign.
Nope, im right there with you. I'm so disappointed about losing that first design, the stacked blocks, that this one seems phoned in and I could care less about it. No rendering so far as made me think the base to tower transition will be anything other than jarring and poorly thought out, the crown is serviceable, sure, but it's just hard to fall in love with this one after that first pass.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 5:22 PM

I don't care for either. This first one at least had height going for it. The base looks terrible on this one and if the virtual reality snaps posted by rgarri are to believed, I really won't like this tower once completed.

My only hope for this tower (if completed) and NEMA 2 is that they will encourage more restaurants/attractions in the SoLo to further high-rise boom in that neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 9:12 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

https://1000southmichigan.com/

Never noticed this be based on the animation on the website there appears to be some sort of lighting scheme on the northeast corner of the building.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 9:52 PM

Could look interesting. Could look Vegas cheesy.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 10:07 PM
Ω

A friend who worked at Jahn told me like two years ago that this project was basically cancelled and that she didn't expect it to rise. Everyone there was pissed off about the redesigns.
I think I accidentally commented that in the NEMA thread a long time ago.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 10:09 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
A friend who worked at Jahn told me like two years ago that this project was basically cancelled and that she didn't expect it to rise. Everyone there was pissed off about the redesigns.
I think I accidentally commented that in the NEMA thread a long time ago.
I'd believe that, but why don't they just come out and announce that it's cancelled instead of lying to the public and pretending it's going to happen? We're all going to find out one way or another that it isn't.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 10:54 PM

This just feels like another one of those that hopefully and hopefully and hopefully again
... Just turd down the drain. Here's a raised one to my fello skyscraper lovers to a waisted, perfect plot of land. We will miss you "original" 1000m.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
Oh for sure this isn't a good design, and especially when compared to what we could have gotten... The main reason most of us are pushing for it is the height and what it represents to get a top luxury condo tower in this part of town. We'll live without it though

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 2:30 AM

I had not been following this thread but became much more interested after spending last weekend in Chicago. In fact I walked by a big sign advertising 1000M that said: "EXTRAORDINARY MICHIGAN AVENUE CONDOMINIUM RESIDENCES...Please visit our Sales Gallery at 1006 South Michigan Avenue..." I had been disappointed that all the recently completed tall residential buildings in Chicago only had apartments for rent, so I was rather excited by this condo building. (Yes, I do fancy owning a condo in Chicago someday.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourstrooper View Post
Yea idk I hope that they build it bc I really like the building. will help balance the skyline a lot
I too think it doesn't look bad, but more importantly, having a building -- pretty much any building -- this tall in this neighborhood would benefit the skyline a great deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpacaObsessor View Post
further south past congress[/url] though and it gets a lot quieter. Although there's a lot of apartment construction it still feels like the area suffers from a lack of retail.
I would actually like the relative peace and quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
right now, telling people to buy million dollar condos there is going to be a much harder sell than other parts of the city
Hopefully there will soon be a residential skyscraper in this area with condos below half a million dollars. That should attract more people to move there.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
I had not been following this thread but became much more interested after spending last weekend in Chicago. In fact I walked by a big sign advertising 1000M that said: "EXTRAORDINARY MICHIGAN AVENUE CONDOMINIUM RESIDENCES...Please visit our Sales Gallery at 1006 South Michigan Avenue..." I had been disappointed that all the recently completed tall residential buildings in Chicago only had apartments for rent, so I was rather excited by this condo building. (Yes, I do fancy owning a condo in Chicago someday.)

I too think it doesn't look bad, but more importantly, having a building -- pretty much any building -- this tall in this neighborhood would benefit the skyline a great deal.

I would actually like the relative peace and quiet.

Hopefully there will soon be a residential skyscraper in this area with condos below half a million dollars. That should attract more people to move there.
Condos at that price point haven't seemed to be within any developer's mind this entire cycle(for a skyscraper anyhow). Apartments are just the go to for anyone not making the proverbial "f-you money".

I'd love to see it, but highly doubt it will for a long long time

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 4:32 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
You realize there are already nearly 50 such buildings in that area? Some, like mine, offer spectacular skyline views for around $300/sq ft.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
You realize there are already nearly 50 such buildings in that area? Some, like mine, offer spectacular skyline views for around $300/sq ft.
Well, I was thinking about new, very tall condo skyscrapers comparable to NEMA and 1000M, because part of the discussion was about skyline-changing residential buildings to be built in the near future. But you're right, if I don't mind older and shorter condo buildings that are nonetheless tall enough to offer good views, there are already a fair number in the area. $300/sq ft is a steal.

I just did a quick search for condo listings and was surprised to find one from 1000M of a 454 sq ft unit with 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom, for $410,000! And the monthly HOA fee is $199, which is actually a little less than what I currently pay for a very basic, ground-floor condo built in the 1960s (though it's 850 sq ft). At $903/sq ft it's far from a bargain, but I was pleasantly surprised that 1000M isn't just selling million-dollar condos.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 12:48 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

When I walked by today I noticed that they changed their sign to be more playful less elegant.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
When I walked by today I noticed that they changed their sign to be more playful less elegant.

I belive they lowered the prices on some units though could just be the international collection thing... They should go dual condos and apartments that'll get this thing goin sooner than later for sure

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 8:04 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Any pre-sales for this development. IDK if Chicago follows the way of Miami in the sense of pre-sales prior to shovels on the ground?

Given the influx of high unit developments, its a good sign of confidence in the market.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Any pre-sales for this development. IDK if Chicago follows the way of Miami in the sense of pre-sales prior to shovels on the ground?

Given the influx of high unit developments, its a good sign of confidence in the market.
This topic has been discussed ad nauseum throughout the thread for months. They are aiming for a certain number of presales and securing finances before starting construction.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

Pre-sales are much less of a market-based issue as you ask the question. The pre-sale requirements come not from the local market, but from the developer’s lender and equity groups. Pre-sale requirements may vary by market but they exist because nobody wants to throw money at a project that isn’t able to prove ot can sell once on the market.

The thought is once you hit a certain level of pre-sales the momentum will carry you after construction starts. You get a lot more hits for sales on a building being built than one being proposed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction