HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 1:14 AM
Flower City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Rochester View Post
That would be very interesting with the condo tower to replace that garage. Where did you hear that? I have never heard such a concept but such an idea is very promising.
Did you read about this?

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...0339/1002/NEWS

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 2:19 AM

Here is the article concerning the proposed tower at the location of the garage ramp. I guess I overshot the proposed height a bit.

Multiuse tower may be built at fallen ramp site

Brian Sharp
Staff writer

Post Comment

(November 21, 2006) — Replacing the South Avenue parking garage ramp appears unlikely, but city officials said Monday that an eight- to 12-story condominium, office and retail tower could rise in its place.

"There are some great views from that corner," city engineer James McIntosh said of South Avenue and Broad Street, adding that the half-block ramp's footprint "is bigger than you would think."

Private development also could take in Cornerstone Park, immediately to the east. Another idea is to expand the park and use the site of the ramp for a fountain or some other fixture.

After the exit ramp partly collapsed April 21, crews demolished most of the rest of the structure. Only the hollow core remains. The garage reopened Aug. 31.

City staffers met three months ago with several developers who said any housing project likely was five to 10 years away. In the past two weeks, another developer has come forward who might be willing to move ahead sooner, said Tom Hack, senior structural engineer for the city.

Mayor Robert Duffy has said that he would rather not replace the ramp. Today's standards require a wider turning radius, so a new ramp would be bigger and squeeze pedestrian flow at the intersection. Officials said traffic within the garage has worked without the ramp, lessening pressure to rebuild.

The city expects to receive a consultant's report on recommendations for the site in a few weeks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was almost a year ago and I haven't heard much of anything about it since. Hopefully the city will make a decision on it soon, especially with the Midtown news it could make the push for a condo tower there even bigger.

And yes, I do remember reading that story about the property in the East End. All of the proposals seem decent. I like the idea of rowhouses there but at the same time I wouldn't begrudge a new tower there as well. The 15 story 90something million dollar plan has the best looking building, in my opinion.

I think the Midtown news will have an effect on all of these proposals throughout downtown.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 12:58 PM
Flower City

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 2:36 AM
Lurkerus Omnipresentus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcamb View Post

Hmm. Maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcamb View Post
I think we should get the jump on Buffalo. I was so inspired by your proposed building that I think we should steal it! Might create a little developement rivalry.....
My apologies to the creator of that Rochester render, but yes, that building is kind of ugly. I don't like the color in that skyline, and I don't like the top - it's like it can't decide what it wants to be...spire or box? Pick one!!! Especially in Rochester's skyline; you guys can do better than that. I think it would might actually fit in better in Buffalo's skyline seeing as it has an "older" look to it, but even then I still don't much care for its appearance.

Issa's tower actually almost fits like a glove, but I think the height (as that looks at least) would act to almost trivialize the rest of the skyline (not good IMO). If a developer wanted to build something that big, I'd say build 2-20s or a 1-15 and 1-25 instead of 1-40. Know what I mean? I think the strength of Rochester's skyline lies in its clean lines and crispness, not in its height. Height can be overrated anyways. Buffalo's is just the opposite - few clean lines but a classic sawtooth art deco look (think mini-Detroit) and a hint of height.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Sabre View Post
My apologies to the creator of that Rochester render, but yes, that building is kind of ugly. I don't like the color in that skyline, and I don't like the top - it's like it can't decide what it wants to be...spire or box? Pick one!!! Especially in Rochester's skyline; you guys can do better than that. I think it would might actually fit in better in Buffalo's skyline seeing as it has an "older" look to it, but even then I still don't much care for its appearance.

Issa's tower actually almost fits like a glove, but I think the height (as that looks at least) would act to almost trivialize the rest of the skyline (not good IMO). If a developer wanted to build something that big, I'd say build 2-20s or a 1-15 and 1-25 instead of 1-40. Know what I mean? I think the strength of Rochester's skyline lies in its clean lines and crispness, not in its height. Height can be overrated anyways. Buffalo's is just the opposite - few clean lines but a classic sawtooth art deco look (think mini-Detroit) and a hint of height.
No apologies needed. I was just fooling around. The first render was just something I whipped together to make a point. The building I sampled fit the Euclid/East Main street orientation in which I would like to see a tower built. The Issa tower rendering was me trying to be clever. I have come up with other renderings based on my own designs. I may post them up when they are ready.

I disagree with your assessment of our strengths. I think we need to bust out and build a modern sleek tower. We need to make a statement! We're ready for something new, a rebirth so to speak. A 500' tower that breaks loose from those classic clean lines and the stern crispness that typifies Rochester. Something that says we are ready for a new beginning. Regardless if it’s true or not. A design that might inspire further development and not just a building or buildings that fit in. Something that says Smugtown has finally shutdown with the last round of layoffs at Big Brown and now we’re ready to join the downstate economic house party!

Last edited by jdcamb; Oct 29, 2007 at 3:37 AM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 1:32 PM
Flower City

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 3:33 PM

Quote:
I don't understand why this should be so difficult. The $50-$65 million they are talking about is a drop in the bucket compared to the potential impact of a new corporate HQ and downtown skyscraper, and several acres of redevelopment in the core of the city. It's time for Rochester and the rest of Upstate to start thinking big!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 9:16 PM
Flower City

http://www.whec.com/article/stories/....shtml?cat=565
The future of Midtown Plaza's biggest store

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 9:17 PM
Flower City

http://www.whec.com/article/stories/S150926.shtml
Potential investors looking to revitalize Midtown Plaza

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 9:17 PM
Flower City

http://www.whec.com/article/stories/S229434.shtml
PAETEC downtown: millions in new taxes

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 4:52 PM

Quote:
http://www.whec.com/article/stories/S229434.shtml
PAETEC downtown: millions in new taxes
This goes to my earlier point. If the state is going to bog this down in red tape and political bickering, the city ought to look for ways to cover the demolition costs by itself. Given the virtual certainty of a new corporate office building downtown and the likelihood of other potential development on the site, the city will more than recover the money spent in the form of additional tax revenue.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 7:14 PM

There is no local political capital to push that kind of expenditure through. The city budget is already near impossible to balance every year as it is. There is no need to push a huge cost like that onto the city if the state is willing to pay for it. I think that article is overdramatizing the situation a bit. Yes there is ill will between Spitzer and Bruno's camp, but all of the local Republican representatives support this project and I doubt they will let it get sandbagged.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F11Roch View Post
There is no local political capital to push that kind of expenditure through. The city budget is already near impossible to balance every year as it is. There is no need to push a huge cost like that onto the city if the state is willing to pay for it. I think that article is overdramatizing the situation a bit. Yes there is ill will between Spitzer and Bruno's camp, but all of the local Republican representatives support this project and I doubt they will let it get sandbagged.
My point is that there should be political capital and vision to do what's necessary to get this done. Granted, I'm not local anymore, but it sounds like this very well could get bogged down in Albany. If Rochester stands to lose out on a critical development project while state is dragging its feet, then the city needs to take action to do something to help itself.

When I was living in Houston, they had a similar situation at the Federal level when the city's local Republican Congressional delegation didn't want to fight for funds to build the city's first light rail line. Metro went ahead and financed the entire $250 million dollar line itself. Now the line is built and there is a comprehensive proposal for five additional lines to be built by 2012. Rochester need thinking like that!

I'm sorry, but all of this reminds me of why I got out of there in the first place. Too much red tape..and too much "can't do" attitude from city and state leaders. Take it from someone who only goes back once every year or so and can see the long-term changes taking place...that city is visibly dying and small-scale fixes aren't going to help very much. $50 million is a small price to pay if it means critical downtown redevelopment.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 12:25 AM
Flower City

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 4:51 AM
welcome to the madness

We're in for some major hand wringing through the process, but I don't see this not happening. This is too important for Rochester to fumble on, and if it does I have a feeling Spitzer would step in to make sure that it stays on track.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 6:09 PM
Rochester Philosopher

One of my favorite effects of this development is the prospect of having all of the retail that is currently bottled up in that mall moved out to the street. Granted there isn't much, but if even half of what is currently there is moved to the street I think downtown will look a whole lot better.

Any thoughts? I wonder what the likelyhood of some of these places staying downtown is? Anyone know what exactly is in there now? I know of the jewelery store, Rite Aid, Peebles, C3 clothing.... anything else? I think it would be great to have a new convenience store downtown. Even if Rite Aid does temporarily close, I'm sure something else will come to serve the office worker market. Let's just hope its right on the sidewalk and designed well.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 4:07 PM
Flower City

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 2:28 AM

More silliness!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 1:04 PM
Flower City

hahaha keep it up!!! its very ecouraging!! That looks amazing!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 1:06 PM
Flower City

http://www.whec.com/article/stories/S258321.shtml
Midtown Plaza: City will buy or condemn

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive