HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
It is on the SW corner. Although it is in the city of Phoenix, this block has the "magic" 85254 Scottsdale zipcode. I am very curious to see what comes of this as well! I hope it is the hard corner.
There’s some good density and taller and taller buildings emerging on Scottsdale Rd from basically Thunderbird all the way up to L101. Hope they go big here on this corner.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 7:09 PM
Skyriser

I like how Phoenix benefits from Scottsdale's cachet and road maintenance--only like one lane of Scottsdale Rd is on Phoenix property. Hell, even the traffic signals are on Phoenix property ... which is kind of weird. And then Phoenix stuffs bigger and denser buildings that Scottsdale hates and would never pass there.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I like how Phoenix benefits from Scottsdale's cachet and road maintenance--only like one lane of Scottsdale Rd is on Phoenix property. Hell, even the traffic signals are on Phoenix property ... which is kind of weird. And then Phoenix stuffs bigger and denser buildings that Scottsdale hates and would never pass there.
Scottsdale is allowing taller and taller buildings along that corridor. They’re just protecting the area towards the runway of the airport - since it runs diagonally there closer to the end of the runway they want the smaller buildings. But up towards the north end - they’re going taller. The three proposed buildings at the old Crackerjax are around 150ft tall. Further north of Bell/FLW and towards the 101, there are apartment complexes going up that appear to be 8-10 floors - so close if not over 100ft tall. And the new complex up by Hayden/101 will contain multiple 15 story buildings when its completed. And so far the people in the area - Scottsdale residents - are not against it. There are some that are against any of the growth - but they are by far in the minority up here.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 11:41 PM

2 Tales of The Palmeraie

I'm really looking forward to this project getting completed. But sounds like the developer is having some issues w/ PV Town Council...

The Palmeraie on track to open 1st phase of $2 billion megadevelopment

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/t...gadevelopment/

The Palmeraie developer sues Paradise Valley to protect $2 billion project

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/t...llion-project/

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 3:58 PM
Modulator

Another 10 story building in the works for Optima Kierland.

https://azbex.com/plans-emerge-for-o...ter-expansion/

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 7:18 PM

https://eservices.scottsdaleaz.gov/b.../Details/51164

The info packet isn't posted yet, but looks like another slice of old town redevelopment. More info should be available on the link above once it is posted.

Appears to involve the parcel with the Triangle Building, which I have always found interesting.

http://modernphoenix.net/haver/trianglebuilding.htm

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 7:22 PM

^ "Gentle intervention with the developer from multiple angles resulted in a positive outcome. Now the current project team is proposing a mixed-use development that actively restores and adapts this iconic 1962 Haver design. We’re glad to see this building saved!"

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
^ "Gentle intervention with the developer from multiple angles resulted in a positive outcome. Now the current project team is proposing a mixed-use development that actively restores and adapts this iconic 1962 Haver design. We’re glad to see this building saved!"

Sounds fantastic! Can't wait to see the plans. Thanks for providing this scoop.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 9:49 PM

The City of Scottsdale is no longer "The West's Most Western Town." Growth is one thing - but to destroy the character of Scottsdale?!? Along with this kind of growth - comes big city problems. The pictures of recent month - shows that. The only reason Paradise Valley is the kind of community that it is - because of very stringent codes. You have to have at least one acre - and no industry! I grew up near the corner of Mockingbird and Cheney in the 1960's and 1970's. Just ranch style homes and a lot of land. It was NOT the mega mansions - as it is today. Wide open desert - to play - and it was SAFE!!!!!!!!!! Hummingbird and Blue Bird were still dirt roads! Everyone had septic tanks! We road horses behind St. Barnabas Church - on the DESERT - where they are building the Ritz Carlton resort! Judson was a school - not a development of expensive houses. Read where Hugh Downs just died. If I recall, he was part of the effort to stop the development in Paradise Valley - to destroy its character! Let the developers build like crazy in downtown Phoenix - or, the Biltmore at 24th St...or, Tempe! Don't destroy Scottsdale and Paradise Valley! I can see why people in Prescott are worried. In just the short time I have lived here - I am worried about its growth. It might be just people coming up from the Valley ( I am seeing a lot of "Scottsdale" ..."Peoria"...etc., frames on the license plate). After summer, hope that will die down.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 11:05 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats View Post
The City of Scottsdale is no longer "The West's Most Western Town." Growth is one thing - but to destroy the character of Scottsdale?!? Along with this kind of growth - comes big city problems. The pictures of recent month - shows that. The only reason Paradise Valley is the kind of community that it is - because of very stringent codes. You have to have at least one acre - and no industry! I grew up near the corner of Mockingbird and Cheney in the 1960's and 1970's. Just ranch style homes and a lot of land. It was NOT the mega mansions - as it is today. Wide open desert - to play - and it was SAFE!!!!!!!!!! Hummingbird and Blue Bird were still dirt roads! Everyone had septic tanks! We road horses behind St. Barnabas Church - on the DESERT - where they are building the Ritz Carlton resort! Judson was a school - not a development of expensive houses. Read where Hugh Downs just died. If I recall, he was part of the effort to stop the development in Paradise Valley - to destroy its character! Let the developers build like crazy in downtown Phoenix - or, the Biltmore at 24th St...or, Tempe! Don't destroy Scottsdale and Paradise Valley! I can see why people in Prescott are worried. In just the short time I have lived here - I am worried about its growth. It might be just people coming up from the Valley ( I am seeing a lot of "Scottsdale" ..."Peoria"...etc., frames on the license plate). After summer, hope that will die down.
While you are entitled to your opinion, it's not going to be respected on a forum that is decidedly pro-development. I would advise you to not fight things here because this is not the forum to do so and it's borderline trollposting. I especially do not want the added responsibility of checking up on this thread because of what you're posting about anti-development opinions.

That being said...

Scottsdale has never been the west most's western town, at all. That is easily decided on Tombstone, AZ, Virginia City, NV or Crown King, AZ that I know of. That motto was invented for tourism kitsch like pretty much like most of downtown Scottsdale as I remember it.

What you're describing is pretty much what could be found before any edge suburb prior to its development in the Phoenix area, Phoenix included (especially on the north side), which Scottsdale pretty much is as it's hemmed in by the reservation and other geography and modernized in the post-war era.

Scottsdale has very little trace of its pre-WW2 "western" heritage so any historic reference to that in deference to its motto is totally built over and has been for decades. Anything left over in its kitsch shops are bygone relics that hardly exist as the market demands.

And, for as far as Paradise Valley goes, the 1-acre lot minimum is easily described as exclusionary zoning and should be illegal. Hell, now that I think about it, I'd run a progressive ballot measure in AZ to impose state property taxes for the first time on incorporated owner-occupied lots that size with proceeds dedicated to an affordable housing trust fund.

The fact behind this is that PV even exists is a problem. These are luxury enclaves that don't pay their fair share as people take the damn bus from Phoenix to provide services for them in Scottsdale. This disjointedness of public administration and especially finance is absurd when you take that wretched corner of the metropolitan area into consideration.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 11:08 PM
Skyriser

Also, I don't abuse my status as moderator in discussions that involve me, so feel free and respond in kind. I defer to others to report offensive posts or would at worst consult with other moderators.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:

What "big city" problems does freaking Scottsdale have? Literally you just listed off the only interesting areas in the entire valley for me, so I don't see how it is ruined. Not everyone wants to take care of an acre of land, ride horses, and drive on dirt roads.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 12:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
What "big city" problems does freaking Scottsdale have? Literally you just listed off the only interesting areas in the entire valley for me, so I don't see how it is ruined. Not everyone wants to take care of an acre of land, ride horses, and drive on dirt roads.
Wildcat is an angry, misinformed guy (and appears to be a get off my lawn guy, too). Check out his “COVID is bullshit” posts on the Coronavirus page—it’ll make your pubes straighten.

Last edited by Ballister; Jul 6, 2020 at 3:12 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Everyone had septic tanks!

Nice?

wtf lol

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 9:49 AM
Skyriser

I'm going to again remind everyone of the ignore feature of the forum.

- Click their name above their post
- Click on "User Lists" below their name in large text
- Click Add to Ignore List

I didn't even see in that wall of text that this guy doesn't even live in the Valley anymore ... he moved somewhere else, now he's complaining about people moving in.

Chutzpah and hypocrisy at its saddest. Imagine living your entire life simultaneously dependent on and avoiding the people that make it possible. They can't just buy some ranch in Texas and be done with it, nope, gotta coat the whole 40 acres in shellac (not unlike SF fauxgressives, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms) like some private museum piece.

Just goes to show that NIMBYness isn't a left/right issue, it's just a fucking cancer.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 2:24 PM

[QUOTE=Wildcats;8971812]The City of Scottsdale is no longer "The West's Most Western Town." Growth is one thing - but to destroy the character of Scottsdale?!? Along with this kind of growth - comes big city problems. The pictures of recent month - shows that. The only reason Paradise Valley is the kind of community that it is - because of very stringent codes. You have to have at least one acre - and no industry! I grew up near the corner of Mockingbird and Cheney in the 1960's and 1970's. Just ranch style homes and a lot of land. It was NOT the mega mansions - as it is today. Wide open desert - to play - and it was SAFE!!!!!!!!!!

Uh, it's extremely safe today, I don't know a single person that questions or even considers their safety in PV or Scottsdale. Maybe the extreme southern portion of Scottsdale but certainly no the area being referenced here.

Hummingbird and Blue Bird were still dirt roads! Everyone had septic tanks! We road horses behind St. Barnabas Church - on the DESERT - where they are building the Ritz Carlton resort! Judson was a school - not a development of expensive houses. Read where Hugh Downs just died. If I recall, he was part of the effort to stop the development in Paradise Valley - to destroy its character! Let the developers build like crazy in downtown Phoenix - or, the Biltmore at 24th St...or, Tempe! Don't destroy Scottsdale and Paradise Valley!

I have to wonder how many cities across the country would love to have a $2Billion dollar Ritz development, destroying the community? Seriously?

I can see why people in Prescott are worried. In just the short time I have lived here - I am worried about its growth. It might be just people coming up from the Valley ( I am seeing a lot of "Scottsdale" ..."Peoria"...etc., frames on the license plate). After summer, hope that will die down.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:51 PM
Modulator

Quote:
I'm going to again remind everyone of the ignore feature of the forum.

- Click their name above their post
- Click on "User Lists" below their name in large text
- Click Add to Ignore List
The issue with blocking is I check the forum from many other places than my own personal computer. In these instances, I do not want to sign-in with my login information when it's on a public computer or some other device where I do not want my information typed in. Therefore, the blocked user would not be blocked. Also, if I am signed-in and the user is blocked, when someone quotes the user, I am also able to see the blocked persons posts. So blocking only works some of the time.

Some may say, "well, just don't read it". That's much easier said than done. You may not want to see a fight on the street. But if it happens, I guarantee you're going to stop and watch. Members that are problematic either simply need to be suspended or banned when they reach a certain amount of complaints. Losing good forum members (which we have) that provide much needed information over a couple of guys that can't seem to quit shooting their mouths off does not seem to be the proper course of action. If someone is a problem, they need suspended. If they come back and continue to be a problem, they need booted.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
The issue with blocking is I check the forum from many other places than my own personal computer. In these instances, I do not want to sign-in with my login information when it's on a public computer or some other device where I do not want my information typed in. Therefore, the blocked user would not be blocked. Also, if I am signed-in and the user is blocked, when someone quotes the user, I am also able to see the blocked persons posts. So blocking only works some of the time.

Some may say, "well, just don't read it". That's much easier said than done. You may not want to see a fight on the street. But if it happens, I guarantee you're going to stop and watch. Members that are problematic either simply need to be suspended or banned when they reach a certain amount of complaints. Losing good forum members (which we have) that provide much needed information over a couple of guys that can't seem to quit shooting their mouths off does not seem to be the proper course of action. If someone is a problem, they need suspended. If they come back and continue to be a problem, they need booted.
100% agree. I think it's time we start enforcing some of the rules on this forum

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
While you are entitled to your opinion, it's not going to be respected on a forum that is decidedly pro-development. I would advise you to not fight things here because this is not the forum to do so and it's borderline trollposting. I especially do not want the added responsibility of checking up on this thread because of what you're posting about anti-development opinions..
Get off of your high horse. Wildcats clearly comes from an older generation and is simply stating an opinion about how limited development allowed PV to keep a ton of its charm (which is true). I don't agree with the whole post, but isn't this a forum based around development news and opinions? I doubt Wildcats would be here if he was anti-all development. Give the guy a break.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Get off of your high horse. Wildcats clearly comes from an older generation and is simply stating an opinion about how limited development allowed PV to keep a ton of its charm (which is true). I don't agree with the whole post, but isn't this a forum based around development news and opinions? I doubt Wildcats would be here if he was anti-all development. Give the guy a break.
They guy is complaining about the lack of dirt roads, people not riding horses or having septic tanks...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest